Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

ra28 dash: pulling the top off Tue, 09 March 2004 03:10 Go to next message
hey guys

am gonna need to do some work underneath the top of the dash, is there anything special i need to know before i attempt to pull the top off? have had a look a bit and don't know where to start, looks like it might be a bit of a hassle.

cheers
evan
  Send a private message to this user    
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: ra28 dash: pulling the top off Tue, 09 March 2004 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

i have pulled out the dash in my corona many times there are lots of things you have to undo in order to get the dash out, the speedo cable, unscrew the heater controls and take out the centre console (just the part around the gearbox) once you have that out there will be plenty of screws and bolts to undo + you will need to take the glove box out as there are more screws around there.

just keep taking stuff off / taking screws out until you can jiggle it Laughing

it might sound like a ruff way o doing it but thats what you have to do

ps.i have only taken the dash out not the entire dash board
flynn21atwork
Regular

November 2003
Re: ra28 dash: pulling the top off Tue, 09 March 2004 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Be warned, if the dash cap is really old it will most likely have fused to the metal dash frame, in which case it will probably come off in pieces, and disintegrate, as the foam sticks to the metal. Just depends on the dash cap condition. Probably easier to pull all the dash face out, and get to the underneath from the front, if you know what I mean....
You have to take all the front of the dash out anyway, to get to the underneath of the dash cap.
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ra28 dash: pulling the top off Tue, 09 March 2004 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
flynn21atwork has a good point, be very carefull because these dashes aint easy to come by even in a repairable condition let alone good condition and if it is in peices u cant fix it. Be sure that if you do take the dash pad of that wat holds it to the dash its about 6 or seven nuts, undo these but you also will have to take out the grub screw which you fasten the nuts to with a alan key, these just screw out. If you dont take out the grub screws you will end up with it in peices.
GOOD LUCK
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: ra28 dash: pulling the top off Wed, 10 March 2004 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why would you want to remove the dash pad. It is a pain in the ass and there is nothing under it. I made that mistake once myself, spent an hour removing it to find out that you couldn't access anything more with it removed.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: ra28 dash: pulling the top off Wed, 10 March 2004 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evan, You'll need to remove the instrument cluster facia and glove box to remove the screws that hold the front and the 8mm (from memory) nuts that hold the back of it to the steel dash frame. As everyone has said, be very careful and take your time, as the foam does stick to the steel frame. I had to remove three crashpads to get one in fair condition to recover, however if yours is still in good condition, and you simply want to work behind the facia, you can leave it without needing to remove it.

Clint
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: ra28 dash: pulling the top off Wed, 10 March 2004 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
coool thanks guys.

now the reason i am doing this is cause i want to replace the old single speaker with a new one in the dash for the old sterio beacuse it has packed it in.

as has been suggested, i should take the instrument panel off instead of the top of the dash, is this correct?

BEFORE THE ENDLESS POSTS SAYING REPLACE THE STERIO:

1. a new speaker to replace this cost about $10 compared to about $300+ for a decent CD system.
2. in this car i am happy to just listen to the radio, which still works, only the speaker is dying.
3. this car WILL be put on club rego and the insides stripped once i get another nice road car (like a camry), so there is no point spending heaps of dosh putting a new sterio in that i am just gonna rip out later

thanks
evan
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: ra28 dash: pulling the top off Wed, 10 March 2004 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah just take the dash cluster out and you will be ablet to get to the speaker in the middle you may have to take the glove box out depending on how fat your arms are Laughing
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: ra28 dash: pulling the top off Wed, 10 March 2004 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweet thanks mk2

*measures width of arms"

should be all good... i think
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: ra28 dash: pulling the top off Wed, 10 March 2004 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep taking the cover off won't give you access to the speaker anyway.

The glovebox might be awkward but probably the easiest approach. Taking the dash out ain't too bad but you do risk damaging the brittle plastic and early celica trim bits are getting hard to come by.

You should replace the sterio though.

Sorry someone had to say it.
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ra28 dash: pulling the top off Thu, 11 March 2004 06:40 Go to previous message
And name one thing wrong with the stock stereo?
lol
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:tps open?
Next Topic:KE25 with coil sprung out of Sprinter/AE70 Corolla ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Oct 24 13:28:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053880214691162 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.