Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bmak
Regular

May 2002

4age timing set Tue, 09 March 2004 08:07 Go to next message
I tried to do the timing today & shorted the T & E1 terminals but the timing didnt change.

The timing stayed around 20deg with or without it shorted.

The timing also advanced when the terminals were shorted & revs changed. Is it spose to be fixed with them shorted?

I tried changing the timing to 10deg with them shorted but the motor lost heaps of power so i returned it to 20deg.

I assume the motor isnt going into diagnostic mode, any1 got suggestions?

[Updated on: Tue, 09 March 2004 08:09]

Send a private message to this user    
sticky667
Occasional Poster

October 2003

Re: 4age timing set Tue, 09 March 2004 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
possibly tps or dizzy?

i had the same problem with mine.. 33 advanced was the only way it would run. i picked up a 100kw dizzy from the junker for 20 bucks and its dead on 10 now!

jeremy
bmak
Regular

May 2002

Re: 4age timing set Tue, 09 March 2004 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it appears to not be going into diagnostic mode so i can set the timing correctly
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4age timing set Tue, 09 March 2004 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are you shorting out the connector BEFORE you start the car up?

Sometimes the ECU doesnt want to go into diagnostic mode. Just try it a few times having the connector shorted from when the car is completely off. ALso try earthing to the chassis rather than the wire.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 4age timing set Tue, 09 March 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Tue, 09 March 2004 23:23

are you shorting out the connector BEFORE you start the car up?

Sometimes the ECU doesnt want to go into diagnostic mode. Just try it a few times having the connector shorted from when the car is completely off. ALso try earthing to the chassis rather than the wire.

You beat me to it.

I would also make sure you have the right terminals (i made that mistake once) and if there hasnt been a cap over the terminals they would get quite dirty, some crby cleaner and old tooth brush should do the trick.

Hope you can source the problem.
bmak
Regular

May 2002

Re: 4age timing set Wed, 10 March 2004 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
never thought of doing it before i started the car

Thanx for that

Ive tried shorting E1 & the chassis.

I should hook up the engine light while i'm down there.

Any 1 know what a safe wattage is to use?
bmak
Regular

May 2002

Re: 4age timing set Thu, 11 March 2004 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Still no luck doing the timing.

Can some 1 go through the process of exactly how they do it for me.

Its going into diagnostic mode cause i checked for faults & it hasnt any. i even unpluged the map sensor to make sure it recorded a fault.

The timing still adjust when in diagnostic mode though.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 4age timing set Thu, 11 March 2004 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All the info you might need is in the tech gallery, ill post a link when i find it.

http://www.toymods.org.au/cgi-bin/photo/index.cgi? album=/TechDocs/4age_book/engine/2_engine_tune_up& amp; amp;mode=viewpicture&picture=tuneup_04.jpg

&

http://www.toymods.org.au/cgi-bin/photo/index.cgi? album=/TechDocs/4age_book/engine/2_engine_tune_up& amp; amp;mode=viewpicture&picture=tuneup_05.jpg

First i would reset the dizzy back to factory spec. Its on one of the following pages>

http://www.toymods.org.au/cgi-bin/photo/index.cgi? mode=view&album=/TechDocs/4age_book/engine/5_c ylinderhead

Warm engine, short the 2 terminals (engine note will change as the revs drop), check timing, if needs adjusting loosed the 2 bolts on the dizzy and align (may need a second set of hands)till the desired timing is reached (standard is 10 deg btdc), when desired timing is reached tighten 2 bolts and recheck timing (hopefully itll be in the same spot), un-short the terminals and check timing again, if you set it at 10 deg btdc then it will/should sit at around 15-16 deg btdc.

And thats all i do and i presume most others will/do it the same way?

If you set the timing 10 deg btdc and it doesnt sit on 15-16 deg with the terminals un-shorted the something is wroung with the ecu.

Hope it helps?

[Updated on: Thu, 11 March 2004 10:34]

bmak
Regular

May 2002

Re: 4age timing set Thu, 11 March 2004 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah ive followed those instructions but the timiming still advances with revs with T shorted.

I now know its going into diagnostic mode cause i hooked up a light.

I tried shorting T before i start the engine as suggested but it still results in the same.

The ECU is giving no fault codes & everything test ok.

The motor runs fine but i wanted to check the timing before the drags this weekend
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 4age timing set Thu, 11 March 2004 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Then its got me beat.

What about the timing light is it in good nick, i dont want to suggest that its broken but were all at the mercy of our machines, maybe yours has had its day.
bmak
Regular

May 2002

Re: 4age timing set Thu, 11 March 2004 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i will try a new light but i expect its good.

when i rev it the computer seems to change the timing as it should normally but it shouldnt be doing it in diagnostic mode.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4age timing set Thu, 11 March 2004 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brad, dumb quiestion, but are you sure you have the right ignitor?

the 4AG uses the VAST timing system, where during starting the timing is set by the mechanical advance, and after that a signal is sent to ECU to get modified, and then sent back to trigger the ignitor to fire coil...

if ti aint the right ignitor, that may be why?
grasping at straws here, is the dizzy a locked 4AG dizzy? does it have any mech advance? maybe computer is a little 'odd' can you try another?

Cya, Stewart
bmak
Regular

May 2002

Re: 4age timing set Fri, 12 March 2004 06:27 Go to previous message
i assume its the correct ignitor, plugs is correct & nothing has been modified.

Its the proper 4ag dizzy & it appears to be in good condition.

Are the plugs for the computer the same on a bigport AE92 motor as my AE86 RWD engine?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:GA70 Supra Misfiring?
Next Topic:AE92 4AGZE questions
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Oct 22 13:39:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062670707702637 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.