Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

IDB Automotive Brake kits Tue, 09 March 2004 09:24 Go to next message
Anyone had any experiance with the IDB Automotive brake kits? They are fairly expensive but very good quality. So yeah, has anyone used them?
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Tue, 09 March 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well they're in my town... I gather the kits are damned pricey, and tend to lean towards underdone parts like hilux calipers and pug rotors, although I think they do bigger (both in size and price!) kits too. Been a while since I've been there myself!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Tue, 09 March 2004 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The ones I asked about today used RA40 struts, Mazda RX7 Series 5 calipers, 280mm x 20mm slotted rotors and corona hubs!
With all the above reconditioned parts they want $1700 Shocked
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Tue, 09 March 2004 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And they look like this(without the coil overs):
http://users.bigpond.net.au/lachlan/cars/ke25/img/ke25_39.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/lachlan/cars/ke25/img/ke25_40.jpg

Dont look too bad IMO!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Tue, 09 March 2004 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
since you know what they use, and even have pictures, whats to stop you doing it yourself?

or you could hand over 1700 cold hard...... Very Happy
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Tue, 09 March 2004 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From Japan you can purchase the mounting kit and rotors for around $200 - $300 AUS i've seen on the yahoo action site.

These are for AE86 struts but i'm quite sure they fit RA Celica's without too much drama as the steering knuckles are the same.

The calipers usually sell for anywhere up to $400 at importers.

So the conversion should be able to be done for WELL under $1000.

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Tue, 09 March 2004 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Tue, 09 March 2004 20:37

From Japan you can purchase the mounting kit and rotors for around $200 - $300 AUS i've seen on the yahoo action site.

Where where where??? I'm keen on doing it this way.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Tue, 09 March 2004 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl? lp=ja_en&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpage3.auctions.yahoo .co.jp%2Fjp%2Fauction%2Fc54259635

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl? lp=ja_en&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpage4.auctions.yahoo .co.jp%2Fjp%2Fauction%2Fd44764152
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that. I just wish I could understand some of it Confused Does it happen to say on there somewhere what size rotors are used?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
UM noticing the caliper is mounted UP FRONT not behind...interesting...
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isn't that where it should be? To miss the tie rod arm?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shane they're normally mounted behind actually.
i swapped mine from behind to front to clear the tie rod problem

issue is i wonder what its done to my kingpin incl. and camber/caster/toe... Wink
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well its a Honda EG6 rotor, maybe we can find out the diameter of that.

I might be wrong but it appears to be 282mm x 23mm.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 March 2004 00:58]

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega - I can't imagine caster being changed. Assuming the stub axle is centered it wouldn't change. Toe can be adjusted easily enough even if there was a change.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, I might look into buying a set of those brackets. Thats if they will ship to Oz Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Wed, 10 March 2004 01:43]

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Umm, are those rotors going in the correct direction? Cause mine are the opposite:

http://images5.fotki.com/v57/photos/1/12090/417152/02010003-vi.jpg

And I'm certain (I think, I hope anyway) that I followed the stickers that were on it for R and L...
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know some people in Japan and should be able to organise via them possibly.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
demuire wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 11:52

Umm, are those rotors going in the correct direction? Cause mine are the opposite:

http://images5.fotki.com/v57/photos/1/12090/417152/02010003-vi.jpg

And I'm certain (I think, I hope anyway) that I followed the stickers that were on it for R and L...

Did you do that setup your self mate? Or did you buy it?
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mostly myself. I got someone else to shorten the struts and weld the retaining ring on for me (don't really trust my welding that much) and he also did the machining of the hubs, discs and calipers for me (I don't have the equipment).
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good work mate. What machining did you have to do on the hubs and rotors? Are you just using RA40 hubs?
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Darn I knew I should have written it all down when it was fresh in my head, now I've forgotten exactly how much I've machined...

I think it was 4mm off the hub, 3mm off the caliper mounting tab, can't remember how much off the outside diameter of the disc I had to shave off, probably about 1 or 2mm.

Originally only machined the hubs 1mm to center the disc in the caliper (instead of using spacers in the caliper mounts), but had problems with clearance from the control arm so shaved an extra 3mm. Even then I only have 1mm clearance now which probably isn't enough.

They are RT132 hubs.

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok thanks. Whats the reason for not using the RA40 hub?
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought my brakes from IDB, they're the corona struts with the corona 2 spot calipers and the peugot or similar equivelant vented disc. I bought these ages ago, way before I knew of toymods & the ease of this conversion, but for the price of $800 it was pretty good, everything was brand new, & it came with everything invl. new pads, wheel bearings, reco'd calipers new disc, strut, brake lines etc.
After 2 years of using them I finally decided to get rid of the wobble in the left wheel under braking, & took the disc to get machined only to find the actual hub was warped/bent. I gave IDB a call & explained it all, & asked if they had another hub I could purchase (seeing as how it was so long after the initial purchase) & they sent me a new hub with new bearings, all the way to me in Sydney, free of charge.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Because... I didn't have one? I'm using RT132 struts.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Joel, I have heard they are pretty good to deal with but I am the kind of person that if I can save a dollar I will. Unless I get shitted off and just cant be bothered spending the time figuring out how to do something myself.

Demuire, That explains that then Very Happy
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually do you have anymore pictures of your brake setup? Like a picture from front or rear on showing the distance from the caliper outer pistons to the face of the hub?

Thanks
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Photos that I've taken on my photo page

I don't have a photo of the distance from the outside face of the caliper to the hub outside face, but the caliper does protrude further than the hub by about 11mm or so.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
demuire wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 13:26

Photos that I've taken on my photo page

Thanks
Quote:

I don't have a photo of the distance from the outside face of the caliper to the hub outside face, but the caliper does protrude further than the hub by about 11mm or so.

11mm? Really? You dont have any problems with wheels touching the caliper?
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes. Hence I have 4 sets of wheels and only 1 set actually fits Sad
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doh Laughing
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
demuire wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 14:33

Yes. Hence I have 4 sets of wheels and only 1 set actually fits Sad

I was lucky that the wheels I bought (16x8" B45 Simmons) before I did the conversion fit ...... JUST Freak

Cheers

Michael B
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shane i had/have the same problem. i had 14" corona rims on the ta22 and they wouldn't fit with the caliper uprade.

i scored an mx73 cressida rim and that fits fine.

http://www.vncommodore.com/images/celica/brakes/cress1.jpg

http://www.vncommodore.com/images/celica/brakes/cress2.jpg

[Updated on: Wed, 10 March 2004 05:07]

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm surprised by this Grega as my 14 inch Celica steel rims fit over the Pug rotors and Hilux calipers, (after I took 5mm off them so they don't bind with the caliper). But, I had to skim 2mm off the inside lip of the rims in two spots as they did foul on the calipers when I first tried them.
Cheers,
Mitch.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mitch, check the other thread. 1mm spacer washer.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Grega, I might look into the hilux/pug upgrade and then if need be i'll upgrade again later on.

So Demuire, Your using the hilux calipers as well? Not RX7 calipers?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: IDB Automotive Brake kits Wed, 10 March 2004 08:23 Go to previous message
yep fook uses em as well on his ke35.
on his daily he's using the sumitomos that come with the xt130/rt132 struts IIRC.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:21R/22R timing
Next Topic:exhaust for 7mge ma70
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Oct 26 13:30:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0096430778503418 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.