Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Crips_Corona
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Corona Project Tue, 09 March 2004 11:45 Go to next message
Ok people...now that I am confident that I (with the help of my father of course) can convert my 78' Corona (RT-104) to power steering, I am toying with the idea of doing it up a little... Has anyone got any suggestions or tips they could give me...I was thinking of putting a new block in...(something turbo later on down the line...**shudder**...turbo insurance for an 18 year old) but right now I was thinking about dropping in the much better 18R-G as opposed to this piece of crap 18R-C... has anyone got any thoughts they would like to share about my plans...be it about the 18r-G engine....or any turbos I could put in later on down the line...once again...any help...any at all would be appreciated...thanks guys
Chrip
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Corona Project Tue, 09 March 2004 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
18R-G is a great upgrade and piss-easy, it's practically a bolt-in. You can also get the fuel-injected 18R-GEU which is a bit more effort to get running but well worth it, especially if you're considering forced induction down the track.

As for turbos, just about anything off a late-model 2 litre engine should work fine (eg 3S-GTE, SR20DET, RB20DET etc).
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Corona Project Wed, 10 March 2004 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
18RG is a very straight forward conversion. If you plan on turboing it later on, install a later fuel injected one. These have the plenum and runners which greatly facilitates a turbo install and (I think) lower compression. Just ask around to be sure there are no issues with the plenum fouling the brake master cylinder in an RT104.

Your only issue would be the construction of an exhaust turbo manifold and, provided you aren't looking for big horsepower, it's construction isn't critical. There are plenty of 2 litre turbos that you could scam turbos from so your install would be relatively cheap.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Corona Project Wed, 10 March 2004 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, the fuel-injected 18R-GEU has the lowest compression of all 18R-G's at 8.3:1, which is ideal for forced induction! I doubt there would be any clearance issues since the RT104 engine bay is so similar to the RA23 Celica.
crazedrt104
Regular

March 2003
Re: Corona Project Wed, 10 March 2004 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate...ive just completed fitting a 18rg into my rt104..only probs i had ..make sure the sump is for a 'R' series car, exhausts mainifolds are slightly diffrent, and i had to adjust the brake lines to fit the air pods
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: Corona Project Wed, 10 March 2004 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go the 'ronas! Very Happy
i think from memory you have to use the 18R-C mounts on the 18R-G engine to make it all fit. but yeah, great little engine, if a little gutless for a 2.0L, but they ARE pushing 20 years old in their design now....and still WAY ahead of the 18R-C!!!!!
you'll love it.
i would recommend a turbo off a WRX actually, like the later and smaller TD05 (1997+). why? coz everyone is swapping them for the earlier and larger TD04, so some places are practically giving them away.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Corona Project Wed, 10 March 2004 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
crazedrt104 wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 13:30

mate...ive just completed fitting a 18rg into my rt104..only probs i had ..make sure the sump is for a 'R' series car, exhausts mainifolds are slightly diffrent, and i had to adjust the brake lines to fit the air pods

Just use the sump off the 18R-C you pull out of the car, itll fit on the 18R-G no problem.

Ive got a RT104 as well... great car, and i would probabaly do it up if it wasnt for the rust problems Sad
The other problem is getting the suspension working well... the rear end isnt exactly made for performance Sad

[Updated on: Wed, 10 March 2004 05:22]

SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Corona Project Wed, 10 March 2004 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where are you?
Crips_Corona
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: Corona Project Wed, 10 March 2004 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey pplz....whoa!...i like the advice im getting....okay...first things first...is forced induction another term for turbo...or am i missing something...secondly...i live in the southern highlands of NSW....thirdly....anyone know anywhere to get decent engine blocks for relativly cheap around my parts?
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Corona Project Wed, 10 March 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go the RT104
i have a 18RGU in mine, only problem was the linkages had to be moved to the other side, if u get all the linkages it'll be a piece of piss, cause the RT104 in japaan came with the RG so the holes for the link mounts are in the wall behind the chassis plate.

yes forced induction means turbo/supercharged

where r u

gimme pics
Crips_Corona
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: Corona Project Wed, 10 March 2004 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey man...im in the southern highlands...near bowral...bout an hour from sydney... I have the 3 speed auto RT-104...is this going to give me troubles....as all the people i have seen that converted the Corona to the the 18R-G have owned the 4 speed manual model...is this gonna give me troubles...and does anyone know anything about the 1G naturally aspirated engine...i heard good things about it is all
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Corona Project Wed, 10 March 2004 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are a few webpages showing 1G into Corona projects.

Any engine you put in, youll also want to change the gearbox... cant stick with the W40 (4spd).

If you do go with a 18R-G, also pick up a W50 with it, it wont cost much extra.
Having a 5th gear is worth the trouble.

The 1G-GE would be a much better engine to install than the 18R-G, but itll cost you a fair amount more (besides the engine cost) due to changing to a EFI fuel system, extra wiring, etc.
To get it reg'ed you also might have to get it engineered, and they might ask for you to also install better front brakes.
Crips_Corona
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: Corona Project Wed, 10 March 2004 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm...didnt really wanna change the transmission...but i guess theres nothing for it...how much do you guys reckon for a new decent transmission and an 18R-GEU for my Rona...and any ideas where to go to get them?...and is there any other considerations to be taken in hand when installing a new transmission...is there compatability issues or do transmissions just kinda fit on??
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Corona Project Wed, 10 March 2004 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just as a guide In brissy you can get the w50 gearboxes for $150. Also prices on a 18rgeu vary depending whos selling them and why they are selling them. I paid $400 for my 18rgeu so just use that as a guide if you want. Make sure u get a computer and wiring with though. Just to make life easier. If not im sure the 2s-e wiring and computer can be used. Happy hunting.
Crips_Corona
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: Corona Project Wed, 10 March 2004 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks bro...when i get my P's i am so going to a monthly meeting to meet all you nice helpful ppl...I am so excited at the concept of doing my car up....thanks once again to all of you
Crips_Corona
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: Corona Project Wed, 10 March 2004 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whoa...ok!...I've messed this up...i can't drive a manual due to a disability....so what do i do about transmissions....do i stick with the 3 speed auto i have now...or update to a 4 speed auto box....how much will this cost and what should i look for?
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Corona Project Wed, 10 March 2004 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
APPARENTLY the auto box will hold the power of a RG but the torque converter will not be high enuff, due to the RG having NO torque it will be a pig off the line
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Corona Project Wed, 10 March 2004 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why are 18r engines so popular?
how old is the 18r engine and whats the difference in power from the -c -g etc.
i have a 2s and it's lazy
Crips_Corona
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: Corona Project Wed, 10 March 2004 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So what your saying is that yes, it will work, just that it will be slow as all hell off the mark?... even manually shifting???...is there any ways at all i can solve this this?
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Corona Project Thu, 11 March 2004 09:57 Go to previous message
manual shifting wont do shit, its cause u r taking off from jack all revs, and the RG's dont make much power down low, but when it hits 3000rpm it'll boogie then

they're popular cause they are classic {the RG} and they are bulletproof, and cause basically every toyota model had one at some stage {even cressida}
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:18RG Question
Next Topic:project car!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Oct 24 05:23:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061490535736084 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.