Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Mazda RX7 series 5 year model?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Mazda RX7 series 5 year model? Thu, 11 March 2004 11:43 Go to next message
Yeah I know its not exactly a Toyota but meh.

SO anyway I am in need of some brake pads for some Mazda RX7 series 5 Calipers. But I think I'm going to need a yeah model but I have no idea about Mazda's at all. So does anyone know what year model series 5's are, or alternatively can anyone supply a part number for some pads?

Is there anywhere on the WWW when you can look at brake pad cattledogs?

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Mazda RX7 series 5 year model? Thu, 11 March 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Mazda RX7 series 5 year model? Thu, 11 March 2004 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok the bendix cattledog just started working again. The latest model RX7 they have listed is 1989-99 so i'm guessing these will suit the series 5 calipers? And whats a good type od pad for street work?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Mazda RX7 series 5 year model? Thu, 11 March 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
series 5 is 1989 - ???? (1993 i think)

thats all i know
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Mazda RX7 series 5 year model? Thu, 11 March 2004 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i use eagles or hawks (one of they two i cant remember which it is)

think its hawks pads on my car, they work really well but generate lots of dust. have good pedal feel and bite in well.

mines a series 4 but as far as i know there is very little/no difference between calipers
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Mazda RX7 series 5 year model? Thu, 11 March 2004 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok thanks.
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Mazda RX7 series 5 year model? Thu, 11 March 2004 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(what i just said was in comparison to the standard mazda pads which i had on before i changed across, as long as u dont mind brake dust i strongly reccomend them)
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Mazda RX7 series 5 year model? Thu, 11 March 2004 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
series 5 is 1989 threw to 1992
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Mazda RX7 series 5 year model? Thu, 11 March 2004 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok thanks. The pads must be the same all the way through to the 99 model.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Mazda RX7 series 5 year model? Thu, 11 March 2004 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, according to the DBA page, series 4 is 86 to 92. Confused
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Mazda RX7 series 5 year model? Thu, 11 March 2004 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This could also mean that the pad is the same right through those years though the series changed (same caliper)
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Mazda RX7 series 5 year model? Thu, 11 March 2004 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Thu, 11 March 2004 22:13

Hmm, according to the DBA page, series 4 is 86 to 92. Confused

thats what i was saying, theres no difference between series 4 and series 5 calipers

series 4 was 86 (or late 85) to 88 and series 5 was 88 to 92

i would be suprised if series 6,7,8 rx7's had the same calipers as the series 4/5, im pretty certain they are different, but i guess its possible they might still take the same size pad..
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Mazda RX7 series 5 year model? Thu, 11 March 2004 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lang wrote on Thu, 11 March 2004 22:22

i use eagles or hawks (one of they two i cant remember which it is)

think its hawks pads on my car, they work really well but generate lots of dust. have good pedal feel and bite in well.

mines a series 4 but as far as i know there is very little/no difference between calipers

Mmmm Hawk brake pads are pretty damn good - I had the street/track compound on my 260z. If I could get them for the Supra I would have. Otherwise EBC Green stuff are good for the street.
3T-GTE
Regular

August 2003
Re: Mazda RX7 series 5 year model? Fri, 12 March 2004 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hope this may help:
86-89 - Series 4 - Model# FC 1031
89-91 - Series 5 - Model# FC 1032
92-99 - Series 6 - Model# FD 1031

From what I can remember (going back 7 years ago when I was racing Mazdas)

The FC1031 & FC1032 & FD1031 callipers are pretty much identical, same bolt pattern, pads (Bendix code DB416 - look it up if you want to see the diagram), piston sizes (4x36.1mm), positions, etc...

But the FD1031 (Series 6) SP are different...

One thing I noticed when the Series 4 first came out... I was playing around with some calipers & noticed that the bolt pattern of these actually matched my original TA-22 Celica strut, it wasn't a straight bolt up though as the positioning / offest didn't work... but I thought that was kinda neat... the only problem at the time was I had already modified the front suspension & was using modified struts mounted with adjustable coil-overs from another vehicle, & these didn't match the RX7 pattern at all.

Anyway, I hope this helps.
Cheers, 3T-GTE
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Mazda RX7 series 5 year model? Fri, 12 March 2004 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought the Ser IV calipers were much smaller (and had some external finning), whilst the Ser V and VI were MUCH bigger and were a totally different shape and size ?

Just my experience from cct racing

Cheers

Michael B
3T-GTE
Regular

August 2003
Re: Mazda RX7 series 5 year model? Fri, 12 March 2004 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi bbaacchhyy,

Yes, there are minor cosmetic differences like an extra fin here, or bit there, but I still found them to be essentially all the same.

Out of the 10 RX7s I have prepared for various customers, comparing 3 different customer's FC1031 (RX7 Series 4s) I worked on to the 7 customers with FC1032 (RX7 Series 5) the calipers had very little difference & were certainly not any bigger / better / stronger than the S4.

I can recall one time having to get a new right hand caliper to replace a badly damaged one off a S5, & we ended up looking into this & discovered that they were interchangeable.

The S6 calipers have a slightly different offset, but the bolt pattern, pads, etc is the same.

My memory is a bit rusty on this, as it was almost a decade ago, & I haven't worked on Mazdas for some time.. so please let me know if I am wrong, as I like to think I have a good memory Rolling Eyes

I'm not sure about the S6 SP model though, I believe these are different, but not exactly easy to find, so I probably wouldn't be looking at them anyway.

Another thought, Cool 1... have you looked into any other calipers, like Wilwoods, etc? It has been a while since I looked into any of this, but last I looked they had some pretty good quality / priced calipers that would be as good or better than the Mazda calipers...
Might be worth a look:
http://www.wilwood.com/
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Mazda RX7 series 5 year model? Fri, 12 March 2004 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I looked seriously into the Willwoods but the problem is I cannot get a definite answer weather they are street legal or not Confused
3T-GTE
Regular

August 2003
Re: Mazda RX7 series 5 year model? Fri, 12 March 2004 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh yes, street legal... From what I have looked into with this, the Wilwoods aren't...
However, in my case, all my modified vehicles are now "track only" so as long as it meets CAMS regulations I am fine
In that case, go with the Mazda calipers. Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 12 March 2004 03:55]

clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Mazda RX7 series 5 year model? Fri, 12 March 2004 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try here http://www.vsiimports.com.au/catalog.htm they import hawk stuff but have a listing by pad shape only unfortunately. May still find what you need.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Mazda RX7 series 5 year model? Fri, 12 March 2004 22:50 Go to previous message
Thanks
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2tg solex manifold and webbers
Next Topic:3S-GTE conversion in a TA22 for $4000
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Oct 21 01:52:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0088238716125488 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.