Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Charcol canister's Fri, 12 March 2004 01:56 Go to next message
Can someone explain to me the ins & outs of what their used for and what happens when their blocked/broken. I know it has something to due with fuel vapours, but im struggling to find any info.

Are they usually interchangable between makes and models.
  Send a private message to this user    
toyoda
Regular

November 2003
Re: Charcol canister's Fri, 12 March 2004 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok

First it depends whether its Carby or EFI

Carby - It Takes in Fumes from the Float chamber and Fuel Tank and then releases them into the engine at Medium to high speeds to cut down Hydocarbon emmisions.

EFI - It Takes in fumes from the Fuel tank and releases them into the engine at Medium to high speeds to cut down Hydrocarbon Emmisions.

There is a couple of valves in the Charcoal cannister that allows fumes to travel only in one direction, Tank to Charcoal cannister and Cannister to Air inlet.

The inlet connection is on the Air cleaner side of the inlet not the Vacuum side.

If it becomes blocked you may get :

1/. Excessive pressure in Fuel Tank
2/. Fuel dripping from bottom of Cannister
3/. Strong smell of fuel from cannister

Toyoda
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Charcol canister's Fri, 12 March 2004 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or if you dont have one like me, you just get this god awful strong petrol smell from the back of the car and in the car if the windows are left shut for a period of time. Um dont smoke at the back of my car, lol, i should take one of those signs from the petrol station.
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Charcol canister's Fri, 12 March 2004 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it became law for all cars to have a charcole canister around 1976. And a PCV system of some sort.

I took mine out of my KE55, because its hard to get it simply hooked up to the 2T-G without effecting the tune in anyway. I havn't had any problems or smells.

I also disconected the PCV valve and breather hose also, because again I was using airhorns with no real breather attatchment. I was at the race track and didn't want to deal with anything except the bare basics. I did get a oily smell from the engine sometimes.

Does anyone know if 2T-GEU engine had a PCV? Its hard to know where it was because the breather hole in the block is closed up on latter models, and the cam cover still has only one hole for the breather. ??
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Charcol canister's Fri, 12 March 2004 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toyoda wrote on Fri, 12 March 2004 13:16

Ok

First it depends whether its Carby or EFI

Carby - It Takes in Fumes from the Float chamber and Fuel Tank and then releases them into the engine at Medium to high speeds to cut down Hydocarbon emmisions.

EFI - It Takes in fumes from the Fuel tank and releases them into the engine at Medium to high speeds to cut down Hydrocarbon Emmisions.

There is a couple of valves in the Charcoal cannister that allows fumes to travel only in one direction, Tank to Charcoal cannister and Cannister to Air inlet.

The inlet connection is on the Air cleaner side of the inlet not the Vacuum side.

If it becomes blocked you may get :

1/. Excessive pressure in Fuel Tank
2/. Fuel dripping from bottom of Cannister
3/. Strong smell of fuel from cannister

Toyoda

It use to be a carby charcol canister (4ac AE86) and know its a efi charcol canister (4ag AE86), are the efi and carby the same or are there many differences.

Im not having trouble with it, im just planning for the future.

Thanx heaps?
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Charcol canister's Fri, 12 March 2004 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[deleted]

[Updated on: Fri, 12 March 2004 12:55]

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Charcol canister's Fri, 12 March 2004 14:27 Go to previous message
Quote:

It use to be a carby charcol canister (4ac AE86) and know its a efi charcol canister (4ag AE86), are the efi and carby the same or are there many differences.

yes, i think there are

carbi canisters usually rely on external valves to supply vacuum to evacuate fumes (at the appropriate time), there's usually three ports on the top and a drain/fresh-air-intake at bottom of unit..

efi units tend to have two ports on the top of the canister, using only one vacuum line to the manifold, the other line to tank and a drain/fresh-air-intake at bottom of unit.

efi units are better for cars that have had all the emisions and control poumbing removed (that would usually control how the unit vents into the manifold. The eif units just purge into the manifold at high vacuum.

i've got some scans of my manual showing the PCV and charcoal canister setups on 18R (carb) versus 22RE (EFI) but it'll take a day or so to find them - PM me if you think they'll help.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3S-GTE conversion in a TA22 for $4000
Next Topic:Why do people want high power car??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Oct 21 06:25:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066518783569336 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.