Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Exchanging front springs?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Exchanging front springs? Fri, 12 March 2004 07:22 Go to next message
hey, I have some new lowered springs for the celica (TA22).
Whats the procedure in swapping them over? I am not familiar with pulling the front end apart.
Also, should I use spring compressors or not?
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Exchanging front springs? Fri, 12 March 2004 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am doing this as we speak. Well I just came inside for a beer actually.

But yes you should use spring compressors. This is a prick of a job to, Trying to get the nut off the top of the insert will piss you off big time Evil or Very Mad
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Exchanging front springs? Fri, 12 March 2004 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can improvise a spring compressor with some seatbelt and a trolley jack, but you need a proper one if you are going to be changign springs.

undo the strut nut a bit before you take the struts out of the car
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Exchanging front springs? Fri, 12 March 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The spring is held captive under pressure, remember the pressure is linear at around 100lb/ft. The spring'll explode of the strut when the bearing plate is removed and you'll not be able to compress the spring by hand to replace the bearing plate when the spring new spring is fitted.

As has been said the top retaining nut can be a serious pain in the arse, a big long breaker bar and socket to break the bind while fixed in the car is a great idea.

Alternatively you could just pull the struts and leave them at the suspension shop, mine were changed in 0.5 hours for $40 (cheaper than spring compressor and easier too).
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Exchanging front springs? Fri, 12 March 2004 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just undo the nut and stand clear to get them off. Thats all i did. How low are your new springs. Mine were only just captive so i didnt need a compressor toput them back in. might be worth a look.
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Exchanging front springs? Fri, 12 March 2004 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WTF that's spastic! Razz
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Exchanging front springs? Fri, 12 March 2004 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just undo the nut he says.. pfft. I ended up pulling out the insert with the strut top attached from my girlfriends car and threw the lot in the bin.
I fitted the new insert and grabbed some new strut tops i had sitting in the shed. For some reason I cannot remove the nuts from the old inserts. I tried everything, vice grips and putting them in the bench vice. What a pain in the arse.

Oh and sorry about thise mixed up post about whatever i'm saying. Had a few drinks and cant really make sense of anything.
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Exchanging front springs? Fri, 12 March 2004 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well Repco is having a sale on Spring compressors at the moment, haha - $39
I'll be off down there in the morning.
Zerko
Regular

February 2004
Re: Exchanging front springs? Sat, 13 March 2004 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could hire spring compressors. I think I did this a long time ago, before I got my own set.
I wouldn't consider doing it without them. Don't underestimate the power of the springs. They hold up a car, dont forget. How will you get them back on again anyway?

To get the nut off, I use a rattle gun (take the struts down to the local tyre shop if you haven't got one).

I also have 2 sets of lowered TA22 front struts if anyone is interested. Smile $90 pair. Sydney only (CBF shipping).

http://www.newstylemotorsport.com/pix/DSC04915.jpg
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Exchanging front springs? Sat, 13 March 2004 12:34 Go to previous message
Quote:

I wouldn't consider doing it without them. Don't underestimate the power of the springs. They hold up a car, dont forget. How will you get them back on again anyway?

To get the nut off, I use a rattle gun (take the struts down to the local tyre shop if you haven't got one).

What he said.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:how to work out speed vs revs?????
Next Topic:ST162 Wheels and Suspension
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Oct 19 20:04:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054240226745605 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.