Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Monroe struts - rebuildable?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Monroe struts - rebuildable? Sat, 13 March 2004 22:32 Go to next message
Hey guys, wondering if anyone has any experience with Monroe struts?

I'm looking at replacing the front shocks on the Corolla, and have been told that I only require inserts as the Corolla struts are rebuildable..

The problem now however is that the car has Monroe struts (has had since before I bought it.. don't blame me! Razz ) not the originals.

A few pics below to show the situation a bit better than this technically inept fool can describe it.

http://www.luc1d.net/images/strut1.jpg http://www.luc1d.net/images/strut2.jpg

http://www.luc1d.net/images/strut3.jpg http://www.luc1d.net/images/strut4.jpg

From looking at these I'm thinking I can't actually put inserts into them, and will now have to go in search of the factory struts..

Can someone confirm/explain?

- Also -

Is anyone aware if there's a difference between the Struts on the SX/GTi as opposed to the garden variety Corolla, or will any of them do?

[Updated on: Sat, 13 March 2004 22:32]

Send a private message to this user    
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Monroe struts - rebuildable? Mon, 15 March 2004 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Monroe's aren't designed to be rebuilt, while the original wet inserts are. The advantage of the wet inserts (aside from people laughing when you say you have Monroe's up front!!!), is that you can adjust every aspect of the shock, and they also have a larger capacity, and will work better (shocks work by converting force to heat, so bigger is better). I have a set of original wet inserts from a JDM AE92 Levin if you're interested?!

Clint
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Monroe struts - rebuildable? Mon, 15 March 2004 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if my memory serves me correctly last time this was brought up.....

the garden variety AE92 struts are indeed different to the SX/GTi struts. The SX/GTi struts are larger in diameter to the regular AE92 type.

But that said.... when you buy that GZE front cut you will be able to use those struts from an AE92 or AE101 cut (just not the superstrut type).

Hope this helps the safety cat.

Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Monroe struts - rebuildable? Mon, 15 March 2004 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CLG wrote on Mon, 15 March 2004 13:11

I have a set of original wet inserts from a JDM AE92 Levin if you're interested?!

Thx Clint - I'm going to do a little bit more research first before deciding, but how much did you have in mind?

Quote:

But that said.... when you buy that GZE front cut you will be able to use those struts from an AE92 or AE101 cut..

No front cut for this little black duck. Cool

PS. Thanks for your help guys.

[Updated on: Mon, 15 March 2004 06:48]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Monroe struts - rebuildable? Mon, 15 March 2004 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

The Monroe's aren't designed to be rebuilt, while the original wet inserts are. The advantage of the wet inserts (aside from people laughing when you say you have Monroe's up front!!!), is that you can adjust every aspect of the shock, and they also have a larger capacity, and will work better (shocks work by converting force to heat, so bigger is better). I have a set of original wet inserts from a JDM AE92 Levin if you're interested?!

Clint

i totally agree Nod

it is a bit of a pain though completly stripping a strut inorder to modify its internals, espcially if you want to do it a few times.

either way, i used to do it all the time to motorbik forks, and standard struts really arent that different. heres a few pics of strut internal valving if youre interested:

http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/loats/technical/ma61 /ra60assembly.html

edit: ignore the text on that page, its justa ll crap i pasted in to format it Razz

[Updated on: Mon, 15 March 2004 06:51]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Monroe struts - rebuildable? Mon, 15 March 2004 06:57 Go to previous message
[quote title=Lucid wrote on Mon, 15 March 2004 17:47]

No front cut for this little black duck. Cool

BORING!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2 pin flasher unit
Next Topic:Fuel pump speed control
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 22:47:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0063621997833252 seconds