Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 18rg chain replace - how and how easy?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
hemi twofifteen turbo
Regular

October 2003
18rg chain replace - how and how easy? Wed, 17 March 2004 22:54 Go to next message
just wanting to know how easy it is to change the timing chain on an 18rg, does it use an idler puller like the 2tg or is it just an extenended 18r chain? Do i need to pull the head or anything off to change the chain? If someone could give me a basic rundown it would be much appreciated.\
Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 18rg chain replace - how and how easy? Wed, 17 March 2004 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is a similar setup to the 18R-C, but the top chain goes around two cams and is therefore longer.

It is a bit of mucking around, but here is a basic (very) description.

• If the chain has not been replaced with an after market item, it will not have a removeable link (take the cam cover off and rotate engine by hand to verify). If the chain has no links, you have to break the chanin by grinding down the pin and remove it or use a chain breaker
  • At all times, ensure that there is tension on the chain otherwise you can lose the relationship between the crank and cams
  • Once the chain is broken, start the new chain (will always have a joiner link) by running a loop of wire through both chains (so it in effect becomes an extended chain
  • Gradually turn engine over by hand ensuring that you have tension on it all the time until the "wire looped link" comes back out the other side
  • Oh, and before you start, remove the oil fed tensioner at the side of the head before you otherwise you won't get it back together again
  • Fit the joiner link in the correct direction (so the opening of the link is at the back of the direction of rotation (I know what I mean !!!)
  • Replace the oil fed tensioner
  • Gradually turn over engine by hand and check the cam timing marks with the crank (that they are the same as before)
  • Fit everything else back on, set up the tensioner correctly and fire away

You must be very careful to ensure nothing drops down in the cam cover (stuff a clean rag in there).

Take it slowly and you should be fine

Hope that is enough info, Norbs will be able to clrify if I have missed or mis0described a step

Cheers

Michael b
hemi twofifteen turbo
Regular

October 2003
Re: 18rg chain replace - how and how easy? Thu, 18 March 2004 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh thanks heaps! Now all i gotta do is get a chain!
Repco first i guess..
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18rg chain replace - how and how easy? Thu, 18 March 2004 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.swmotorsport.com.au/enginetime.htm
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18rg chain replace - how and how easy? Thu, 18 March 2004 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
either the head or the sump has to come off to do the job as the front case will also need to ber removed to get the chain around the bottum. Best bet is remove the sump so if u do happen to drop something it just falls out the bottum. Also try supercheap for the chain as they do have a listing for the 18rg engine. Whats the reason for the chain swap anyway. Your guides may also be the problem. Check that first.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 18rg chain replace - how and how easy? Sun, 21 March 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
people100 wrote on Thu, 18 March 2004 20:49

either the head or the sump has to come off to do the job as the front case will also need to ber removed to get the chain around the bottum.

Disagree there. Have done it without sump or head (why would the head have to come off ?) on an 18R-G twice and on a Stigma. Just be careful and have patience and tyou wont have a problem

Cheers

Michael B
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18rg chain replace - how and how easy? Mon, 22 March 2004 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did u remove the timing case to do it...I had to as i couldnt get the chain around the cog on the bottum. When i went to put the case back on the sump gasket kept squashing up and then i had to remove the sump.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 18rg chain replace - how and how easy? Mon, 22 March 2004 12:53 Go to previous message
Nope.

Reread my cryptic instructions above and you will note that once bioth chains are joined, it runs behind it as you turn the engine over

Cheers

Michael B
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:How the ST185\205 Group A is coming along
Next Topic:has anyone seen this site before?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Sep 26 22:14:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056359767913818 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.