Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

4AG manifold insulators Fri, 19 March 2004 12:10 Go to next message
I had a good chat to a guy from a plastics place today, regarding getting a plastic insulator plate cut to sandwich between the inlet manifold and head on a 4AG. Is there anyone who might interested as well? It would be better value to get a number of these things cut rather than just the one. I have a choice of either phenolic plastic, or teflon. The phenolic is rated to 120 degrees, whereas the teflon is rated to 250ish. Is anyone interested? If so, let me know, and I can work out a price. Cool
  Send a private message to this user    
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4AG manifold insulators Fri, 19 March 2004 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How thick would it be?
I'd be interested to see how much it would cost, I scrounged sone 1/2" phenolic sheet from work & made myself one but it's a pretty rough job, I wouldn't mind one that was a bit beter made.
I highly recommend it too, the reduction in manifold/plenum temps is huge, mine was always cold to the touch. Except near the throttle body, so I'll be pissing off that coolant connection to it, either remote mounting the cold idle valve or gettibg rid of it altogether.

What's the teflon sheet like, I've never seen or heard of it before?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AG manifold insulators Sat, 20 March 2004 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was thinking of making them 12mm thick, unless anyone else has other ideas?

The teflon stuff is clean white looking, fairly shiny, and fairly hard. Kind of looks like a marble kitchen bench, without the marble bits, get what I mean? Evil or Very Mad

I'll give it a couple of days to see if anyone else is interested, then I'll take the pattern down to the guy and get a more precise quote.
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4AG manifold insulators Sat, 20 March 2004 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bakerlite is the best thermal insulator for use in between manifolds . Just look under the covers on the V8 supercars , if you have the access ..

Very good idea Mrshin , that a huge difference on those engines , if you make them i know three people that will need one ..
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AG manifold insulators Sat, 20 March 2004 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phenolic is what all the commercial ones are made from.
There is no need for the extra high-temp properties of the teflon.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4AG manifold insulators Sat, 20 March 2004 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, i would be in for that, just depending on the cost.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AG manifold insulators Sat, 20 March 2004 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I know that teflon isn't normally used, I'm just going to price it up and see what the difference is in cost. At this stage I'll work on making about 10 of them and find out the cost Evil or Very Mad
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: 4AG manifold insulators Sat, 20 March 2004 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What has the best insulating properties? Isn't phenolic used fairly regularly as std?

I would go for the best insulator, bakelite i've found is available as sheet but no reference to a supplier, just some people who have used it. And some wierdos who collect it (yes they're british)

[Updated on: Sat, 20 March 2004 14:57]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AG manifold insulators Sun, 21 March 2004 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I intend to find out more about insulating properties, even get some bits of the stuff and test it myself. As for collecting bakelite, uhmmm, errr, well, yes I can name a couple of people fascinated by the stuff. And yes, they're quasi-poms... Evil or Very Mad
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 4AG manifold insulators Sun, 21 March 2004 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm interested....depending on price Very Happy
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 4AG manifold insulators Sun, 21 March 2004 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
interested depending on price, are you getting them made for teh smallport or bigport?

in a perfect world i would like to get spacers made up from aluminium in the same thicknes, to compare the power increase you would get just from increasing the length of the inlet tract,

this idea is still a good one, can't do any harm.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AG manifold insulators Mon, 22 March 2004 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm up for one too, if it suits a bigport 4AG. Could you port them with a dremel to match your manifold & head?

Cheers
Phil
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 4AG manifold insulators Mon, 22 March 2004 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interested in getting 1 x bigport and 1 x smallport depending on price.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AG manifold insulators Mon, 22 March 2004 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was initially going to make bigport ones, but if a few people are interested could get some smallport ones too, I suppose!
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4AG manifold insulators Mon, 22 March 2004 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would want a small port for one.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 4AG manifold insulators Tue, 23 March 2004 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id be interested in a smallport one if the cost was 50 bucks or less, dunno if that is unrealistic, whats teflon worth these days?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AG manifold insulators Wed, 24 March 2004 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hopefully should have time to talk to the guy in the morning, and finally have some $ amounts to quote Evil or Very Mad
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AG manifold insulators Thu, 25 March 2004 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I went and had a little chat to him today, discovered that teflon is unreasonably expensive... Bugger! Anyway, the bakelite is a much more realistic proposition, so long as 5 people buy them we're looking at $60 each. Anyone interested? Evil or Very Mad
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4AG manifold insulators Thu, 25 March 2004 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If its for the Smallport i would be very interested.
What may be good is to get them made for the smallport, and then people can enlarge them. Or get a certain number of both made, wouldnt be too much difference on the lathe.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AG manifold insulators Fri, 26 March 2004 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whats the difference between phenolic plastic and bakelite?

I am still interested, but need specific thickness, as manifold clearance may be an issue.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 4AG manifold insulators Fri, 26 March 2004 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im going to have to back out mrshin, dont want anything in my car that british radios used to be made out of Very Happy

i may have a source of teflon though, will have to look into it "some day"
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AG manifold insulators Fri, 26 March 2004 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was going to go for 10mm thickness, unless anyone has any objections to this Evil or Very Mad As for big/smallport, sure, let's just get a few people interested and keep the price good Evil or Very Mad SPREAD THE WORD! Shocked
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AG manifold insulators Sat, 27 March 2004 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*bump, in the process knocking down some ancient chinaware that smashes with incredible noise, disturbing the sleeping cat. The cat jumps up frightened, knocking the hair dryer into the bathtub, before itself falling in too. See? my stories ALWAYS have a happy ending...*
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: 4AG manifold insulators Sun, 28 March 2004 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Poor poor kitty Sad
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AG manifold insulators Wed, 31 March 2004 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhh well, I take it for granted that nobody's interested! Evil or Very Mad
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4AG manifold insulators Thu, 01 April 2004 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4AG manifold insulators Thu, 01 April 2004 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry mate, I just spent the other day matchporting my spacers to my manifold, & after all that effort, I think I'll stick with my bodgy ones.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4AG manifold insulators Thu, 01 April 2004 05:35 Go to previous message
thermal conductivities
http://imartinez.etsin.upm.es/dat1/eSol.htm

Bakelite (tm) = 17 W/(m K)
Teflon (tm) = 0.30 W/(m K)

and a few for reference..
aluminium = 210
asbestos = 0.17
glass, about = 1
diamond = 2000 !!!!!!!!!
PVC = 0.10

so there ya go, Teflon would be 57 times less thermally conductive than Bakelite...... and maybe 57 times mroe exxy too Wink heh heh...

then agin, you need a thinner sheet of teflon to achieve the same effect as 10mm bakelite too!! 5mm of teflon would be a pretty good thermal barrier.

Cya, Stewart

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:5sfe turbo question
Next Topic:1JZGTE turbo wheels? steel or ceramic.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 02:24:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073361396789551 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.