Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

1g thermo switch Mon, 29 March 2004 03:02 Go to next message
Hi there ,

Does any one know which wire on the 1g you can connect to switch your thermo fan on and off with water temperature?

i think i remember hearing there was one on the water housing??? can anyone confirm, or know which wire it is?

Cheers
Stew
  Send a private message to this user    
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1g thermo switch Mon, 29 March 2004 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am pretty sure that it is onlt the GZ20 gen3's (front sump) that have the thermo trigger. I think it is a blue plug on the thermo housing. The others variants have a different housing and come with a mechanical fan on the engine pulley.
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1g thermo switch Mon, 29 March 2004 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Um i have not seen a gen 3 to date that has a electronic thermo fan, all 1gs i seen (its a few now) of different varients have manual thermos on them, hence no thermo switch.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1g thermo switch Mon, 29 March 2004 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well you learn something new every day. Mine didn't come with a mechanical fan and it has a different thermostat housing than the ones with mechanical fans. I am still to confirm myself that the blue plug is the fan trigger but I know others have used it with success.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1g thermo switch Mon, 29 March 2004 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gold28, if possible take the switch out put it in boiling water and test for continuity, that should provide tell ya

i have a gt4 radiator im going to swap for the supra radiator, it has one of those thermo switches built in
TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g thermo switch Tue, 30 March 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the replies guys....

i think Rod had this set up on his..... i thought that was a gen 3 from a supra....

might give him a call...

Cheers
Stew
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1g thermo switch Tue, 30 March 2004 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Indeed you learn something new everyday, just reading up on it seems that about the only 1g i havnt looked at is a gen 3 with a front sump all the gen 3s i seen a mid to rear, just out of curiosity wouldnt it be at all possible for a radiator place to place a thread in the radiator itself so you could plug a thermo switch in.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1g thermo switch Tue, 30 March 2004 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the temp plugs are about $12 from toyota

it makes sence why would the 1g need one? it only has the clutch man

how is the little one powered? when ever air con was on?
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1g thermo switch Wed, 31 March 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I checked the thermostat sender for you. It is an open circuit when cold and a closed circuit when hot. I didn't have a master gauge, so I can't tell you what the switch temp is but it is a bit hotter than I set my thermofans at. But then again I am still running the standard RA28 radiator and it does struggle on a really hot day, so I err on the side of conservative with the temps. My thermo fans come on at about 1/3 of the temp gauge, whereas this sender triggers at about 1/2 gauge. Incidently the Gen 3 soarer temp sender is compatable with the RA28 gauge whereas the Gen 2 supra one wasn't. It read too low and needed to be changed to get a reasonable reading. I just used a RA28 sender on the Gen 2 motor.

This is the Gen 2 supra (mid sump) thermostat housing
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~nez_tony/mypic39.JPG

and this is the Gen 3 Soarer (front sump) thermostat housing.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~nez_tony/mypic40.JPG

Notice the blue plug on the lower forward part of the housing. The supra has the same casting, it just doesn't have the sender installed.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1g thermo switch Wed, 31 March 2004 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks good anthony! i might drill it out and tap it!

TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g thermo switch Wed, 31 March 2004 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Anthony,

mine is a gen 3 supra... and is the same as the top picture....

looks like it is aftermarket for me. Just wanted to check that option first.

Cheers
Stew
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1g thermo switch Thu, 01 April 2004 08:43 Go to previous message
AH HA, that pic now all of a sudden makes sense to me, on my motor i have a hole in the same spot, exept mine is tapped and a fitting screwed into it and used as a water feed for my turbo, all the other holes where the pipes used to be were to small for the fittings and hence have been tapped and had a grub screw placed in them.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:5ME compatible with 5MGE parts?
Next Topic:2TG cam ID
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Jun 14 22:03:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045769214630127 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.