Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Sun, 18 April 2004 02:50 Go to next message

Are the increases costs in registration/[ 29 vote(s) ]
1.Necessary to improve road services 3 / 10%
2.Revenue raising 26 / 90%

Within recent years most state governments have increased registration and licensing costs, introduced new fixed speed cameras and made it harder and more expensive for young people to get licenses.
Do you think theses measures are necessary or just revenue raising

Send a private message to this user    
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Sun, 18 April 2004 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I saw an ad for A Current Affair last night and the cops were saying that the cameras are situated anywhere and all that crap about black spots is indeed crap...

I honestly think that it's a mix of revenue raising and making it harder and more expensive for ppl to get licenses therefore keeping the numbers of ppl on the road lower...

Also, you can look at the recent number plate cost hikes in NSW... Now if that ain't revenue raising, I dunno what is...

[Updated on: Sun, 18 April 2004 03:44]

Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Sun, 18 April 2004 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the level of skill on Victorian roads is terrible. There are people out there with no idea how to drive. I think there needs to be less focus on testing and more focus on training. Perhaps subsidizing professional driving instructors. 'cuz I know plenty of parents who I would NOT want teaching the next generation of car drivers. They just pass on all their bad habits. I still have some left over that my mother taught me.

I am of the opinion that driving a manual gives you much greater respect for a car and teaches you that this thing isn’t just a toy that you point in a direction and it takes you places. I think that everyone should have to learn manual (through heavily subsidized driving instructors perhaps) before going for their Ps, if they end up driving a manual or not.

I would like to see some simple rules like keeping left unless overtaking and other common courtesies being practiced on the road too.

If it ends up costing more, then so be it. That's what the GST should be for.

[Updated on: Sun, 18 April 2004 03:46]

SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Sun, 18 April 2004 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I haven't seen much improvment of the quality of roads since they jacked up the price.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Sun, 18 April 2004 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's revenue raising because most roads a a discrace to drive on an I have not seen any improvement scence I have had a licence (about 3 or 4 years now) rego is just a load of garbage in queensland I don't like the fact if you've got a car with more cylinders you have to pay more as you use the road just as much as anyone else I think the price is high enough as it is as for speed cameras they help stop speedsters (yeah right) there nothin but revenue rasiers as well don't know how many times been drivin along and the bloody van or 4wd is parked behind a pillar were you can't see the best one I've seen was one behind a bus shelter that you could'nt see untill you pass I don't know about in nsw but in qld aren't you supposed to be able to see them before you pass? or a sign (thats visable) stating you have passed one near the vehicle?
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Sun, 18 April 2004 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i think driver training is one area where things are still lacking, there are alot of situations where young drivers wont know how to react untill they are put through them, i know it's happened to me.

[Updated on: Sun, 18 April 2004 09:02]

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its shithouse... around my area there is HEAPS of shitty roads... so what do they do?, resurface my street which is a few k's long... which was fine in the 1st place...
I dont understand why 6's have to pay more than 4's and 8's more than 6's... wtf does a v12 cost?.. probably my anual salary
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You guys all get bent over when it comes to rego and insurance. Here in WA we pay less for rego than nearly all the states and I'm sure the many of you that have visited would say our roads are on a whole other level to yours.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
better or worse?
our rego is 670 a year for 6 cyl
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Our rego is less than that, including our compulsory third party insurance, and our roads are awesome.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have no problem with the govt trying to limit the number of people on the road.
But instead of doing it by fucking over those of us with little money, how about they make the driving tests harder? As well as reducing load on the roads, this would reduce insurance premiums, as there's going to be less crashes!
I've always said, and still do, the NSW driving test is too easy (and I assume this is true for the rest of oz). I know people who have gone 20 times for their licence, and eventually get it by blind luck. These are not the sort of people I want on the road.

And I agree - Perth's roads are lovely... but you must remember the amount of traffic on perth's roads is like 1/10th of sydneys
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
double post

[Updated on: Mon, 19 April 2004 01:29]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Mon, 19 April 2004 09:29

And I agree - Perth's roads are lovely... but you must remember the amount of traffic on perth's roads is like 1/10th of sydneys

Actually, I'll have to disagree with you there. Per amount of space I'd say you guys don't have any more cars at all. After driving around in Sydney for a week, I would attribute the difference in appearance of more traffic in that your roads don't flow well at all. Don't forget, Perth's roads were done with more thought, i.e. a 100kph freeway from one length of the city to the other, with 80/70kph dual carrigeways criss-crossing it nearly the whole way down.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The cost of rego/licensing is clearly revenue raising. I wouldn't mind it if the revenue generated from the roads didn't get put into 'general revenue' in the budget, and then spent on a billion other things. The amount that gets spent on the road is completely independent (and always alot less) than what gets made from the roads.

Total it up in your heads, imagine how much money they make from petrol excises, speed cameras, rego & licensing fees etc etc? It's ridiculous how little gets put back into road safety and transport improvement.

My impression is that perth has less traffic compared to the eastern states. Partly because perth is better thought out, and partly because the other cities have like 2-3 times the population. It's hard to have good traffic flow when a huge number of people work in a central location. Whereas Perth's centre is fairly small in comparison and also much less 'dense'.

Adelaide is a perfect example of traffic gone stupid. There's only 1 million people living in adelaide yet the traffic is balls. All you see around you in the middle of traffic is hundreds of dickheads in 4 litre commodores/falcons with one person per car. If half these people got a motorbike, or used public transport, or just rode a bicycle (which takes like twenty minutes from where most people live) then there would be zero traffic at all.

Then people complain about public transport. I read in the newspaper that some lady missed her bus and had to wait twenty minutes for the next one, which then took ten minutes to get to her work. She had the audacity to say 'It would've been quicker just to walk to work'. If it only takes half an hour to walk to work every day, then get out and do some exercise you b****!!!

(/end rant)
Geoff
Regular

October 2002
Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think is revenue raising
last year my number plates were $25 to store them this year the $50
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camry_omega wrote on Sun, 18 April 2004 19:01

Yeah i think driver training is one area where things are still lacking, there are alot of situations where young drivers wont know how to react untill they are put through them, i know it's happened to me.

I know some older drivers I don't think should be on the roads either.

I don't mind people driving a bit quickly. I don't mind people taking corners a little fast. What shits me is when they do those things without consideration for other traffic. When they tailgate you 'cuz you wanna sit at the speed limit. When they drift into your lane while speeding 'cuz they just aren't paying attention. When they come out of a side street without even bothering to check for oncomming traffic. When they freekin' pull U-Turns from the far left hand lane, accross my lane, and then proceed to stop once they are on the other side of the road with their massive trailer hanging across my lane and halfway into the lane they came from!!!!!!!
Cressida Chick
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Has anyone been to Tassie? There is one pot hole (if that) in the whole place. That's where our money goes.......
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dunno, there's some pretty shitty roads in the tassie hills, and between hobart & launceston is you take little detours
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where on earth in Tassie were you driving to hit ONLY one pothole!?
Cressida Chick
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hobart and surrounding areas.... Those roads are like a dream come true..... Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The roads surrounding Hobart are no way near as good as the roads further north! Damn, you must have bad roads around you!
Cressida Chick
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Locals had a hard time when they got a red light in town...
But really it's like the old road up the coast only smoother and well nothing really compares... Driving at excessive speeds apexes to dream of and then a local vrrrooooooommmm they fly past you like you are doing 60k's then a logger truck does the same .... Shocked
Cressida Chick
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We have roads sooooo bad. The council had a sign up saying "road works aug to dec" and now its april and they are not even HALF WAY through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mad
Where is our money going??????????
To there shonkey super etc.......
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep i have to agree with the queenslander here, its definately a revenue raiser, alot of roads need to resurfaced or at minimum fixed up, and whats with those speed cameras, i know where they will put it at the base of a hill where its no danger to anyone as the road is big enough to have 2 lanes each way, and there are no side streets ???? where is the black spot in that one.

i'm sure they have more then enough money, i'm just not sure what they are doin with it?
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

i'm sure they have more then enough money, i'm just not sure what they are doin with it

if i could hazard a guess i'd say lining their pockets and stuffing their faces with cheese & caviar Rolling Eyes
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most definatley, sounds like NSW has the short end of the stick when it comes to traffic problems. Both Melb and Bris seem better thought out. At least rego isn't dependent on number cyclenders a car has
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah ours is, oh and i found out that the cost on rego for a V12 is the same as a V8!!!
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DunkyMonkey wrote on Mon, 19 April 2004 19:49

yeah ours is, oh and i found out that the cost on rego for a V12 is the same as a V8!!!

lol.. see now that i just dont understand.. makes NO sense
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NSW rego is based on the weight of your car... so us Soarer owners are getting shafted big time. Damn heavy beasts. Corolla owners are very fortunate Razz
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Mon, 19 April 2004 21:28

DunkyMonkey wrote on Mon, 19 April 2004 19:49

lol.. see now that i just dont understand.. makes NO sense

Laughing now thats just a joke! every one who has a car with rego uses the road regardless of weather they have 3,4,6,8,10,12 cylinders or what ever so why should some one have to pay extra for having extra cylinders and the V12 thing that i can not work out either i don't understand any of it i'm not quiet sure but i think also in queensland you may have to pay as much as a 4-cyl if you have a 3cyl? can anyone help if this is true as i don't longer know anyone with a 3-cyl car?
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah 3 cyl is heaps cheaper
my mate has a mighty boy.. and its well cheap
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do they charge more for forced induction?
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wat about 2cyl? ie. rotary
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camry_omega wrote on Mon, 19 April 2004 22:50

Do they charge more for forced induction?

No, you get reamed by the insurers for that.

Quote:

wat about 2cyl? ie. rotary

Same as a 4 cylinder.

I think I've said it before somewhere but my next car will be at least a 6. I would have gotten a v6 camry when I got the apollo, but at that time, (2000), a 4 was still much cheaper than a 6. But now they are within $100 of each other, a 4 cylinder is pointless up here boosted or not. I personally see absolutly no reason to get an underpowered 4 cylinder car anymore. No reason anymore that I should.
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Mon, 19 April 2004 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in NSW isn't all prices different depending on what car your driving/registering????? I remember when i registered my old WRX the green slip was well over $600 and the RTA fees were approx $350 but when it came to registering the excel the green slip was around $500 and the fees were just a tad over $200. I also have realised the pricings of license renewals have changed but then again so have the licenses themselves (new ones having 2 piccies of your mug)

And yes i must agree re-registering a vehicle is way to pricey but then again the most priceiest part is the cost of green slip (comprehensive 3rd party).

Another joke in the system is the price of transferring a vehicle. I paid $700 for my car (being bought with minor damage) which would mean id pay 3% of the purchase price for transfer but instead they charged me on what the vehicle is worth in the books. So here i was arguing with the man on the other side of the counter telling him that the vehicle was damaged and was worth nothing at that moment.
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Tue, 20 April 2004 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahah yeah, well you can own a V12 and get it on the road with rego for $160.... but thats a club member, you can only take it to club meets, and you get special plates for it too!!!
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Tue, 20 April 2004 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I saw an ad for A Current Affair last night and the cops were saying that the cameras are situated anywhere and all that crap about black spots is indeed crap...

If this is the case please explain the camera at the underpass on the m$ here in sydney.

As for Tassie. Spent three months there and founs all the roads to be fantastic. Stupidly easy to navigate thanks to signs and road numbering systems. East coast roads rock.
HSV_gal
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Fri, 23 April 2004 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to be honest and I'm risking being flamed here but I think that the licience structure now is better than before, in my opinion it gives new drivers more road time before they are able to go out being hoods, but thats just me... I also thing that there should be a compulsary car maintence course that should be taken before you are able to apply to get yur license.

As for speed cameras..... they are just a pain in the butt,,, too many of then catch me Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Sat, 24 April 2004 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HSV_gal wrote on Sat, 24 April 2004 09:35

to be honest and I'm risking being flamed here but I think that the licience structure now is better than before, in my opinion it gives new drivers more road time before they are able to go out being hoods, but thats just me... I also thing that there should be a compulsary car maintence course that should be taken before you are able to apply to get yur license.

As for speed cameras..... they are just a pain in the butt,,, too many of then catch me Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

I agree with the car maintence course idea there are too many shitboxes getting around on queensland roads that really should be of road Smile
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Sat, 24 April 2004 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mick wrote on Sat, 24 April 2004 14:59

I agree with the car maintence course idea there are too many shitboxes getting around on queensland roads that really should be of road Smile

its not that alot of them cant do it... its just that they dont care
HSV_gal
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Sat, 24 April 2004 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I mean i'm not talking a Full on know everything there is to know type of course.... Just a basic cause so there ppl are about to even just do a minor service on there car on there own... I mean thats about all I know how to do but at least i can change tyres, oil, plugs and the like and can identify problems with the car without having to run off to get someone else to do it for me.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Sat, 24 April 2004 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Sat, 24 April 2004 21:58

I know a few people like that but thing that amazes me is that they don't ever get hasseled by police yet everyone i know with a done up car is always getting pulled over and police searching for defects
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Sun, 25 April 2004 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mick wrote on Sun, 25 April 2004 09:21

Jag7799 wrote on Sat, 24 April 2004 21:58

I know a few people like that but thing that amazes me is that they don't ever get hasseled by police yet everyone i know with a done up car is always getting pulled over and police searching for defects

yep, it sure sucks.. but thats just how it is...
chances are is people with modded cars will do more illegal things than ones with shitbox's
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Cost of rego/license increases. Necessary or revenue raising? Sun, 25 April 2004 11:19 Go to previous message
Thats a stereo type that isn't always true. And your average shit box can also be quite a hazard espicaly is there are problems with the suspension or brakes.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:New song!!!!! RnB lovers.
Next Topic:See this Forum for advice of usefulness!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:53:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.008512020111084 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.