Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Short stroke suspension Mon, 03 May 2004 11:01 Go to next message
Race cars pick the inside wheel up off the ground when going around a corner. Why do they build the cars like that with limited suspension travel?

It seams my car is going to be like that, just wondering if its such a bad thing? How much droop is needed for a safe car?
  Send a private message to this user    
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Short stroke suspension Mon, 03 May 2004 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Picking a front wheel up is a result of being too tight at the front end compared to the rear, and as far as I know is not really related to the suspension travel length.
"Droop" is not as an important safety issue as how much bump is available - not enough bump travel and things are likely to break.

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Short stroke suspension Mon, 03 May 2004 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a road car will do this too, (pick up an inside wheel) just with a whole lot more body roll etc.

lifting a wheel isnt a huge problem, unless it is a rear wheel on a RWD car, or a front wheel on a FWD car.

short stroke suspension usually comes about when you have lowered oyur car (for the right reasons) and you have all this suspension travel that you dont need, it also means you dont need progressive rate springs.

as yellorolla mentioned, the big plus of short stroke shocks is that they will "bump" more without bottoming out.

Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Short stroke suspension Mon, 03 May 2004 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK thanks guys. It seams I shortened the strut too much, a BIG mistake as I have to grind the sleave off and start again with another pair of struts. I will do as club4ag says and only shorten by 40mm, and take up the other 20mm with a spacer.

I already knew this, but forgot as I took too much time to do the job Sad
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Short stroke suspension Mon, 03 May 2004 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh, i shortened mine by 70mm, was damn near perfect for the shock i used, no spacer either

thwe article on club 4age is a load of crap
daytona
Regular

June 2002

Re: Short stroke suspension Sat, 08 May 2004 14:22 Go to previous message
picking up an inside wheel around a corner also has to do a lot with the sway bar...

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Gearbox Problems, URGENT help needed!
Next Topic:a nice bit of info for u 18RG-o-philes
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Oct 23 16:27:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072100162506104 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.