Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Wed, 05 May 2004 03:31 Go to next message
Hey all,

The 20V is pretty much ready to go into the Sprinter now, but searching for information regarding the best way to modify the cooling system has been fruitless.
Before I bought the engine, going from all the information I had found on this conversion, I thought all I had to do for it not to foul on the firewall was either cut the f'wall (not an option) or piss off the dizzy which I have done. As far as cooling was concerned it was "mate, you've just gotta make up some pipes to get the coolant from/to the back of the head..." but now I see that where the water inlet/outlets are located is on a casting that sticks out just as far as the dizzy! (yeah yeah save your comments).

What do I do???? (And once again, I have definately searched elsewhere before asking this...)
  Send a private message to this user    
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Wed, 05 May 2004 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just wired one up in canberra

20v in a ae86

they cut a ig box in the back to clear everything

then they ran pipes across back of engine then down exhaust side just beside the rock cover
then ran them to the radiator

came up real nice using stainless pipe

it is a prick of a job but not as bad as the gze in a ae86

just sit the engine in and go from there
thats all u can do
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Wed, 05 May 2004 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks mate, but what do you mean by "ig box"???? Do you mean they cut into the firewall and inserted a box recess? This would make it easier, but cutting the firewall just aint an option unfortunately.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Wed, 05 May 2004 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
opps
big box hehe

its really not that hard
just depends if u want it to look nice
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Wed, 05 May 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Use AE82 bit. Check forums for a conversion done already.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Wed, 05 May 2004 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Call me a dumbass, but I have already checked and can't find diddly squat!
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Wed, 05 May 2004 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your lucky that i was reading it when i got the reply notification.
It was in the FAQ. Look harder next time
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=28710&start=0&rid=883&S=0e5a009058c2 5df234547fe97d17e5f7
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Wed, 05 May 2004 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Embarassed

Sir! I will look harder next time Sir! Razz
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Wed, 05 May 2004 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One more thing - This DEFINATELY applies to 20 valves as well right?
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: 20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Wed, 05 May 2004 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the ae82 part wont help at all on a 20V.

You can machine up a block to bolt to the back of the head with the sensors in it, plate off the outlet on the exhaust side of the head, then cut the pipe at the front of the motor and set it up like a RWD setup with a little fabrication. That is the BEST way to do it, but there are more other dodgey ways to get it done.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Wed, 05 May 2004 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks mate.

Takai - Maybe you should look a little harder at what info you're giving out next time. Razz Razz Razz hehehe j/k man.

jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: 20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Wed, 05 May 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.rollamods.com/holding/20Vrwd.jpg

I dont have pics of the mods at the front, this one was using an ae86 RWD pump which then requires you to also use a RWD alternator bracket.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Wed, 05 May 2004 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, now we're getting somewhere......

I take it you had the plate at the back machined so the coolant can get from one side of the head to the other?
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: 20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Wed, 05 May 2004 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not sure, never got to see the other side of that block, but I would guess so. You can buy very similar kits from Japan which are fairly expensive, one of the conversion places in Brisbane had a few of the sets pictured made up, they have since sold them all to my knowledge.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Wed, 05 May 2004 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you know if they were gonna make any more of them? Can you give the name of the place?

And where did that CAS cover come from?
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: 20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Wed, 05 May 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll PM you the details
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Wed, 05 May 2004 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you look at other 4age sites.

http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pages/ae86 _project%2020V.htm

OR

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/phil.bradshaw/Engin e%20Installation.htm

There is more but ive only allocated 30secs to help you, whether these sites answer you question or not is up too you.

Hope there usefull.

Steve
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: 20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Wed, 05 May 2004 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d4731 8101
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Wed, 05 May 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, already seen 'em.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Wed, 05 May 2004 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doesnt Mr Kellam have the master fix for this shit?
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Wed, 05 May 2004 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This might help:

http://www.toymods.org.au/Gallery/TechDocs/How%20t o%20install%20a%2020v%20in%20RWD%20trim%20properly .pdf

Or send a PM to SEADOG on these forums.

[Updated on: Wed, 05 May 2004 07:40]

AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Wed, 05 May 2004 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Youngy. Helpful AND entertaining......
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Wed, 05 May 2004 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No worries,

The engine is out of the car at the moment so hopefully I can get some better pictures for the interested.

Cheers
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Wed, 05 May 2004 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That would be awesome if you could dude. Thanks again!
4a-c
Regular

April 2003
Re: 20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Wed, 05 May 2004 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Having just completed this conversion I can give you some info ae86slut. All the piping needed (backing plate, top outlet, and side block off plate) were made by a bloke called Allan Pitt for me. Unfortunately i have lost his phone number. It cost $120 for the kit. I should be able to get you his number if you want. I used the water pump off the 4a-c. The kit also consists of a T-piece to be placed in the top radiator hose which can be setup to run a thermostat by-pass with the 4a-c water pump. Hope this helps out mate. Good Luck
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Wed, 05 May 2004 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your help everyone.

4a-c, I would really appreciate it if you could get that guys number for me as that sounds like a good clean way to do it.

Cheers mate.
4a-c
Regular

April 2003
Re: 20 Valve conversion - Cooling system Thu, 06 May 2004 05:18 Go to previous message
Maybe someone on here knows it. His name is Allan Pitt
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:lsd
Next Topic:GA61 Wiring diagrams
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Oct 28 08:16:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078740119934082 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.