Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Full coolant system flush Wed, 05 May 2004 10:28 Go to next message
I had a sniff around with the search and couldn't find much in the way of pitfalls of a coolant flush. Basically, I have a 7m in an ma61, and I want to do a full coolant system flush. Does anyone have a blow-by-blow guide on how to flush the coolant in an ma61? Maybe a scan of the workshop manual?

In addition to this, I'll also probably need to know about a coolant flush for an ma70 supra - seeing as that's my engine.

Are there any nasty little bits I need to watch out for that anyone knows of?

-J-
  Send a private message to this user    
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Full coolant system flush Wed, 05 May 2004 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, and coolant type - I can't really go wrong with the toyota red coolant can I?

-J-
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Full coolant system flush Wed, 05 May 2004 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope, toyota red is the good shit.

I suggest you get soem engine flush or similar product designed for flushing an engine, You basically disconnect all radiator hoses, open the heater tap, take out thermostat and shove hose andengine flush into the top radiator inlet in the block.

then flush out with water
then fill with coolant
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Full coolant system flush Wed, 05 May 2004 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thankyou!

And when it comes to flushing the radiator as well, is that best done backwards, or in the direction of normal coolant flow? And how do you tell which way it flows?

Because some people have said that it's not good to force water through a radiator backwards, whereas other people say the best way to blow the junk out is to stick a garden hose in it backwards.

-J-
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Full coolant system flush Wed, 05 May 2004 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is that coolant system flush in a bottle stuff really necessary..has it ever done any damage?

I just disconnected a hose near the thermostat (4age though) and fed water through there (with heater control in cabin set to full hot). After that I also filled up the car with plain water, ran it with radiator cap off until warm, drained that out and then filled up with coolant and water. Remmber to bleed system which basically means leave radiator cap off from when the engine is cold till when it heats up (while idling), see bubbles come out at top of radiator. Some guys her told me to park car on uphill so the radiator cap point is highest so air will be bled out easier...had already finsished before that though but sure it would be good Smile

EDIT:
Listen to Les below - the cool guy in sunnies, ensure the motor has cooled down quite a bit before you refill the system

[Updated on: Thu, 06 May 2004 13:00]

Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Full coolant system flush Wed, 05 May 2004 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh just make sure that u do not do it too soon after u drive .. i.e. the cold water from hose going into the block may be unhealthy for it ..

when i did it, flush with just water then fill it up with water.. drive a few hundred k's, then repeat process with radiator flush
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Full coolant system flush Wed, 05 May 2004 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't go cracking the block now, ya hear?
greypower
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: Full coolant system flush Thu, 06 May 2004 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G/day Guys
I often read on the forums so much garbage about inhibitors (& of course intercooling), it's frightening & can cost so much, long term. Check
http://www.are.com.au/Hor/horror_pictures.htm
& this may make you spend a little more time & money & appreciate your cooling system.We have 7 different types of the one brand of inhibitor in stock & if we mixed 2 of them with the other 5 I guarantee the radiator will need cleaning within 18 months & depending on the condition of it at the time of mix, the head could be off !
This may save you allot of grief
http://www.are.com.au/techtalk/ALUMRAD.htm
& if you want to know something about intercoolers
http://www.are.com.au/techtalk/intecoolersMR.htm
these are only part of the info thats available, there are datalog results, fan test results etc.
Take abit of time & have a look - you may learn something.
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Full coolant system flush Sat, 08 May 2004 01:20 Go to previous message
Thanks for all your help guys! As usual, a goldmine of info!

These forums rock Smile

-J-
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ECU options for the st162
Next Topic:Ballist resistor rating for ra40
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Oct 24 20:16:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052220821380615 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.