Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Wed, 05 May 2004 11:19 Go to next message
Hey All,

My MA61 is nearly on the road by the end of next week, though the springs and shockers are stuffed Rolling Eyes .

How difficult is it to change front and back of the MA61? Or is it cheaper and less painful to get a pro to do it? If a pro does it, how much am I expeciting to cost?

Currently, I don't have the equipment to do any of the work or any ideas in doing it Confused

Cheers...
  Send a private message to this user    
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Wed, 05 May 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rear shocks, should be easy (one bolt down the bottom, one nut at the top), to do the fronts you will require spring compressors (and a fair bit more work).

The rear springs shouldn't be too hard, although I'm not familiar with the exact procedure (a haynes manual or equivalent should be fine)

Cheers
Wilbo
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Wed, 05 May 2004 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was wondering same thing
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Wed, 05 May 2004 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rear is piece of piss.
Front is a bit more difficult but still fairly easy.

Rear shocks - 2Nuts up top and 1 down the bottom per shock.
Rear springs - They drop out. once you undo the shocks and let it reach full droop.

Fronts - 3/4 nuts on strut top. 2 underneath the strut
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Wed, 05 May 2004 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about changing the whole front struts?.. how long would that take?
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Wed, 05 May 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
About 10-15mins a side I guess if you know what you are doing to change complete struts. To change the front shocks/springs you WILL need a set of spring compressors tho.

If you want a hand one day in brissy feel free to yell (I've got a set of spring compressors too Smile).

Cheers
Wilbo
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Wed, 05 May 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Same as above, You have to remove the whole front strut to remove the springs.

Also, if you dont know what your doing. Dont take the nut at the top off which holds the tension in the spring. People have died undoing it, as you can imagine theres a shit load of force waiting to come out.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Wed, 05 May 2004 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo666 wrote on Wed, 05 May 2004 22:54

About 10-15mins a side I guess if you know what you are doing to change complete struts. To change the front shocks/springs you WILL need a set of spring compressors tho.

If you want a hand one day in brissy feel free to yell (I've got a set of spring compressors too Smile).

Cheers
Wilbo

hey.. some help would be much appreciated.. ive also got a pair of spring compressors... mr dohc is also gonna help.. i need a day with some help to swap all suspension between both cars
thats shocks, springs(struts for the front) and all the bushes(so swap all control arms and crap over)...
any help would be much appreciated.. im looking at doing this fairly soon too.. maybe before the street drag day, so you would be up for it?..

Thanks Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Wed, 05 May 2004 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
balls you need spring compressors Smile
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Wed, 05 May 2004 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Wed, 05 May 2004 23:26

Agree to that. An angle grinder will remove the spring tension (and make two springs quite quick Shocked ). With the King Lows in the front, there is no pre-tension on the springs, so you don't need the comprssors to reinstall

Cheers

MB

PS About 2 hours all up for a 1/2 competent person.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Wed, 05 May 2004 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I should note I'm referring to the kings replacement springs too (standard height)
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Wed, 05 May 2004 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh sweet.. yeah im running kings lows
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Thu, 06 May 2004 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah pretty sure they (king lows) aren't captive...

If you are just planning to do a straight sway it shouldn't take long at all Very Happy, the fronts are 3 14mm bolts at the top and 2 17mm bolts at the bottom, the control arms are a 19mm bolt/nut (the strut->chassis bars are 2 14mm nuts on the control arms and a 24mm? nut to the chassis). the rear shocks are a 12mm nut at the top and a 14mm down the bottom from memory yeah its not rocket science...

I'm flat out this weekend for sure, but might be able to lend a hand next weekend, let us know what your plans are. Where were you planning on doing it?

Cheers
Wilbo
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Thu, 06 May 2004 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
probably doing it at my house i guess?.. no idea.. its not much good for doing it.. but both cars are here...
i work every weekend.. all day
what about the 29th early in the morning(before the drag day)
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Thu, 06 May 2004 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have a talk to us on msn (I'll add you when I get some time) and I'm sure we can sort something out Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Thu, 06 May 2004 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've personally witnessed std height springs being removed with the use of a rattle gun and no spring compressors. The strut top ended up at the other end of the backyard and the rattle gun operator was nursing a sore hand, but it was a quick way of getting the spring out! Of course I made sure I was well out of the way before this happened. Shocked
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Thu, 06 May 2004 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GOD Shocked Effective maybe, crazy/insane defiantly! Confused

Cheers
Wilbo
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Thu, 06 May 2004 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 06 May 2004 11:46

I've personally witnessed std height springs being removed with the use of a rattle gun and no spring compressors. The strut top ended up at the other end of the backyard and the rattle gun operator was nursing a sore hand, but it was a quick way of getting the spring out! Of course I made sure I was well out of the way before this happened. Shocked

why wouldn't you face it down into the ground? That is what I did and it worked fine. No spring compressors.

Johal: you are crazy trying to get a suspension swap done a couple of hours before going to the drags. I would try and get it done ASAP to have some time to test it out and make sure the bolts are all done up properly Razz

I think what you are doing would be quicker than just changing the springs on the front shocks as that can take a little while as you want to be a bit cautious. I would like to help but every weekend is booked up until after the drag day Smile
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Thu, 06 May 2004 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the reply all, I got all got Gas Cartridges for the front so replacing the strut is not a cost effective option. So I get it that the back are easy to change? and the front are difficult? I got King Spring Std for front and back and Pedders ComfortGas for both.

Cheers.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Thu, 06 May 2004 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the kings standard height don't put pressure on the spring tops when out of the car then you will be able to get away with out spring compressors (obviously). In that case it all bolts out/in (as a tip crack the nut that holds the spring top on while the car is still on the ground).

Once you have the springs off, you'll need a big shifter/set of stilsons(sp?) to remove the nut type thing that holds in the shock (they are not strut inserts from the factory, they are oil shocks that fit into the struts, you remove the old guts/oil and put your inserts in), you don't throw away the strut Smile

Rears should be easy, as suggested.

Cheers
Wilbo
ma61_turbo
Regular

June 2002

Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Thu, 06 May 2004 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Wed, 05 May 2004 23:25

Agree to that. An angle grinder will remove the spring tension (and make two springs quite quick Shocked ). With the King Lows in the front, there is no pre-tension on the springs, so you don't need the comprssors to reinstall

Cheers

MB

Or three hours if you are completely incompetent like me, and that's just the fronts Wink

Saying that though, it IS straight foward. I'd just never done it before and kept missing stuff.

The rears are so easy it's not funny. You will need to unbolt the sway bar to get the springs and shocks out from memory. Be careful not to bend the tab that it bolts onto, it's not exactly hefty.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Thu, 06 May 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks like i wont be getting soarer back till monday after next now.. so that leaves me with sat 22nd and sat 29th... i might try and get out of work on 22nd during the day time Smile
wilbo.. ill be on msn late tomorrow night.. say after 9 pm or so.. going to gf's tonight and working all day tomorrow so ill probably speak to you then and we can try sort something out Smile

Im gonna suck at driving manual and i think ill just be pussying the launch at willowbank as i wont have any experience by the time it happens
mrsmart
Regular

October 2002
Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Thu, 06 May 2004 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZZT231,

It is cheaper to DIY, but more painful. Are you looking for a firmer than stock ride, and for what style of driving?

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Thu, 06 May 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZZT231 wrote on Thu, 06 May 2004 14:45

Pedders ComfortGas
Cheers.

I coulda sold you the set of shocks that I removed from mine for $50 !!! Thats about what they are worth, but better than nothing when on a budget Confused
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Thu, 06 May 2004 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ma61_turbo wrote on Thu, 06 May 2004 19:11

bbaacchhyy wrote on Wed, 05 May 2004 23:25

Cheers

MB

Or three hours if you are completely incompetent like me, and that's just the fronts Wink

Saying that though, it IS straight foward. I'd just never done it before and kept missing stuff.

The rears are so easy it's not funny. You will need to unbolt the sway bar to get the springs and shocks out from memory. Be careful not to bend the tab that it bolts onto, it's not exactly hefty.

I missed the shock covers when I reassembled. Embarassed Luckily, I noticed before I bolted them back in
Rolling Eyes
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Thu, 06 May 2004 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Thu, 06 May 2004 23:49

Pedders ComfortGas
Cheers.

I coulda sold you the set of shocks that I removed from mine for $50 !!! Thats about what they are worth, but better than nothing when on a budget Confused

That is what I paid for my rear shocks brand new Laughing

Thanks for the thought Sad ...
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Sun, 09 May 2004 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZZT231 wrote on Fri, 07 May 2004 08:59

bbaacchhyy wrote on Thu, 06 May 2004 23:49

Pedders ComfortGas
Cheers.

That is what I paid for my rear shocks brand new Laughing

Thanks for the thought Sad ...

I was talking about ALL FOUR !!!!!
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61) Sun, 09 May 2004 22:20 Go to previous message
DAMN! Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Which is better?
Next Topic:AE86 20v intake
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Oct 22 00:36:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0089819431304932 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.