Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » modded bigport 4age = stock smallport power?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
modded bigport 4age = stock smallport power? Wed, 05 May 2004 13:12 Go to next message
hey guys, i was just wondering how hard u think it would be to get a 4age bigport running at the same power as a stock 100kw smallport 4age.

what modds do u think would be needed to get the equal amount of power from the earlier bigport 86kw engine as a stock smallport 100kw engine?

remembering that these figures are a the flywheel, so power gains of even a couple of Kw at the wheels will have a good effect.

i rekon it could be done easy with a:
full exhaust
CAMS
good CAI
  Send a private message to this user    
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: modded bigport 4age = stock smallport power? Wed, 05 May 2004 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you got it in one

264 cams will give you a good source of grunt without needing aftermarket ecu
good airflow in and out will help
and cai wil definately help the hot little fucker

other than that maybe a trd oilcap

lol kidding kidding

nah after those i would try maybe extractors and then raise compression with headgasket and decking the head if your cheap

[Updated on: Wed, 05 May 2004 13:28]

carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: modded bigport 4age = stock smallport power? Wed, 05 May 2004 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol, the TRD oil cap would have to give u another good 10-15kw at the wheels!!!!

once i actually get teh car, i rekon id go almost all out on it.

full whiteline suspension/shock/strut brace/ swaybar kit.
CAI (homemade of course)
full exhaust (including extractors)
CAM's
and then go a aftermarket chip.

if i had trouble with the engine and ahd to remove the head, then i guess id have headwork done to it too. this would be a dream car for me!

what do u mean about decking the head? what's that?
also, how do u go about raising the compression? it would be a good idea to do it i rekon. the bigport 4age doesnt even neep hi-octane fuel stock, as its compression ratio is only 9.4! would allow some good power gains i rekon.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: modded bigport 4age = stock smallport power? Wed, 05 May 2004 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wanna know how much the tougher 100kw bottom end would make with a big port head on it (with stock everything).
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: modded bigport 4age = stock smallport power? Wed, 05 May 2004 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im pretty sure it would make less wouldnt it?

they both run the same compresion ration, and teh new smallport engien head was supposed to be better that the older bigport head, as the bigport intake/exhaust valves were TOO big (thus the need for TVIS and hence the nickname BIGPORT engine).

id like to know what exactly they did to achieve the higher power output in the newer engine? ive heard the bottom end is stronger (7 ribs rather than 3), and the pistons became oil cooled or something, but what else was done?

wow, talk about getting off topic!
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: modded bigport 4age = stock smallport power? Wed, 05 May 2004 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 7rib ae92 block + bigport head is a common conversion

oil squirters
strengthened crank and rods
stronger block

makes a bit of difference i think

[Updated on: Wed, 05 May 2004 13:56]

carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: modded bigport 4age = stock smallport power? Wed, 05 May 2004 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
really?
awsome!
i had no idea?

do u know why this is so? anybody?
and once again, what was done by toyota to make the smallport rate 100kw?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: modded bigport 4age = stock smallport power? Wed, 05 May 2004 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the head design
the compression
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: modded bigport 4age = stock smallport power? Wed, 05 May 2004 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u kept stock internals, stock ECU and used the 86kw 4age bottom end, how much power to u rekon u could get out of the engine?

does anyone know what the best power made by one of these engines without using forced induction?
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: modded bigport 4age = stock smallport power? Wed, 05 May 2004 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go look at Billzillas site, he has power upgrade ratings there.
Green_Comet
Regular

August 2003
Re: modded bigport 4age = stock smallport power? Thu, 06 May 2004 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey shraka, i just put the engine your talking about into my sprinter, the 100kw bottom end and the bigport head. No idea of the power its making its getting the exhaust put on as i speek.
The head on mine has been high flowed, and ported/polished...

You saw my car at mikes house didnt u??

Ill get an idea of the power its making if the dyno day is a go ahead!!! Very Happy
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: modded bigport 4age = stock smallport power? Thu, 06 May 2004 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey comet,

how much did ur head work cost u mate?

and what car is the engine in by the way?
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: modded bigport 4age = stock smallport power? Thu, 06 May 2004 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*bump*
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: modded bigport 4age = stock smallport power? Fri, 07 May 2004 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
carsanactra wrote on Thu, 06 May 2004 23:10

hey comet,

how much did ur head work cost u mate?

and what car is the engine in by the way?

Green_Commet bought the engine that way, the work was either done by, or had done by the guy he bought it from. And his car is an AE86. And yes Ryan Nim saw your car at my place as i was working on it when he came round.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: modded bigport 4age = stock smallport power? Fri, 07 May 2004 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i suppose i should write a tech article but here you go! the big port head is useless on a 7rib bottom end, you will loose horsepower.the small port is a far more effient head as it has a much better velocity into the ports. that said a big port works well on a turbo 4ag as you are craming air in I.E forcing inducting the air in. i use big port for turbo and smallport or twenty valve for atmo. its all to do with port velocity, the small port creates a venturie effect until it cant allow anymore air through, for its given size, which would be about 240{with head work) or so hp.
there is alot more to it than above but its a good over view.
mick
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: modded bigport 4age = stock smallport power? Fri, 07 May 2004 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, id agree with u there mick. if the bigport head was better, why on earth would they have changed it to smallport?
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: modded bigport 4age = stock smallport power? Fri, 07 May 2004 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

the big port head is useless on a 7rib bottom end, you will loose horsepower.the small port is a far more effient head as it has a much better velocity into the ports.

thats funny, cause theres a few very powerfull and competitive IP cars running bigport heads that dont seem to be having too much trouble making more power than the small port Smile

maybe you need to do more testing Mick Wink

eg....

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=28208&rid=2&S=7e0ca51e615e8a849f754babf8 10b6bb&pl_view=&start=0

read Johnnys post on page 2

the engine hes referring to easily puts out over 100Kw at the rear wheels and theyre still pushing for more from tuning in the next few weeks

Ill let you know what mine pulls on the dyno hopefully next week with the same configuration your talking about, i dont think it will be anywhere near 100Kw@the wheels but im sure itll flow just fine Wink
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: modded bigport 4age = stock smallport power? Sat, 08 May 2004 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol and his hp figure would be on a chassis dyno not engine dyno.
i would imagine the 7age we did is about the highest hp one in the country as its 240hp on the engine dyno. using motor bike pistons etc and using the small port head. we had to work the ports then weld them up to get the right shape as there isnt alot of meat in them. in order to get the big ports to work aswell we would have to weld them up and go from there. most people wouldnt have the money to do it so the small port is by far the best option. what people write and say about hp figures and what is real are two diffrent matters. lol as i deal with the larger majority of race engine builders and engineers in australia and OS i can tell you what is possable on paper doesnt usally work aswell when put into practice. i find it a bit ruff you compare a national sport sedan crew cheif (professional as its what i do for a living) against IP guys, i am just doing IP car at the moment and have picked a car that will put me behind the 8 ball to start but am going to show the guys what can be done with knowledge and experiance. i learn new things everyday about racing and i do it from 6am to 9pm 5-7 days a week.
lol so small port is the way to go unless you have loads of money to do head work.
mick
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: modded bigport 4age = stock smallport power? Sat, 08 May 2004 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah chasis dyno.. we dont all have access to nice equipment like you mick Smile

7AGE IMHO is completely different to what were talking about here but yes they make some nice power.. reliability.. well thats another issue.. just ask Johnny why hes pulled his out of the rally car Sad

Bills site has plenty of info on welding up the bigports too, and yes in terms of costs and outcomes of course itd be easier to throw the smallport head on, but i dont think he was asking what it costs more what is feasable, i was merely responding to people replying smallport is better than bigport, when it has been proven time and time again to be the reverse, even FA stayed with the bigport head. They must have done so for good reason .. maybe its because they were getting 220+HP from it.

Quote:

i find it a bit ruff you compare a national sport sedan crew cheif (professional as its what i do for a living) against IP guys

Mick ... as you well know im not comparing anybody against anybody ... let alone an open class racing segment with a limited modification segment, im merely putting facts on the table... as you know... people informed or not will read it all how they would like it to be for thier own case irrelevant of what either of us write anyway.

Quote:

so small port is the way to go unless you have loads of money to do head work

considering money wasnt mentioned doesent this contradict what you said earlier here....

Quote:

the big port head is useless on a 7rib bottom end,

Quote:

what people write and say about hp figures and what is real are two diffrent matters

agreed.. im just going on the figures i know as FACT off (chasis) dynos known to be consistent

Quote:

i can tell you what is possable on paper doesnt usally work aswell when put into practice.

anybody whos read a cusco/mugen/etc product performance claim can confirm that Laughing

just add stickers... 10Kw improvement Very Happy
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: modded bigport 4age = stock smallport power? Sat, 08 May 2004 05:55 Go to previous message
Hey Green_Comet, I wanna see what you make on the dyno. Then we need to get another 86 with similar mods on a 100kw and see what makes better power, better response, and smoother torque.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Suspension - st162
Next Topic:4age flywheel bolts - Nm???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Oct 24 14:28:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057568550109863 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.