Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » not very technical but??rocker cover detailing...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
not very technical but??rocker cover detailing... Fri, 07 May 2004 03:03 Go to next message
I am in the process of doing up the engine bay in my ta22,and want to know an easy way to paint the rocker cover,its a 3tgte
and i wanted to do the writing a different colour to the rest of it...its a pain in the as%%,,a mate of mine has done his gen3 v8 in an HR uts that came up mad but he filled the areas with wax that he didnt want sprayed,thats all well and good but with the finer detail of the writing etc it becomes nearly impossible..
any help greatly appreciated...
  Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: not very technical but??rocker cover detailing... Fri, 07 May 2004 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wax way is annoying

u can use a small brush but apply the paint in globs, instead of strokes.

another way is using a syringe.
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: not very technical but??rocker cover detailing... Fri, 07 May 2004 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i guess at the end of the day its going to be a pain in the as%%%
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: not very technical but??rocker cover detailing... Fri, 07 May 2004 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"detailing" is always going to be a game of patience and effort.

My friend and I wanted to keep the chrome colour on a 20V 4AGE so what we did was spray the whole cover and while the paint was wet we wipped it off drom the raised chrome writing etc.

It came up quite well!
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: not very technical but??rocker cover detailing... Fri, 07 May 2004 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you do a search, youll find the details of my MAJOR PITA attempts at painting my rocker covers.

WAX SUX

i ended up using a large syringe and IV needle to inject paint into the areas of text... ended up looking pretty choice, but took me at least 5 goes (paint stripping back to bare metal in between) to get it right.

cheers
ed
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: not very technical but??rocker cover detailing... Fri, 07 May 2004 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=13828&rid=92&S=9cedaddd10e823383283f778b 39fa99c&pl_view=&start=0#msg_112083
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: not very technical but??rocker cover detailing... Fri, 07 May 2004 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks thats a great help guys..
i was getting to the point of wishing i had of left it how it was
midnight
Regular

November 2003
Re: not very technical but??rocker cover detailing... Fri, 07 May 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as opposed to wax you could use masking fluid. easy to remove
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: not very technical but??rocker cover detailing... Fri, 07 May 2004 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
masking piant/fluid also works rather poorly Sad

especially if you use wrinkle coat as the base layer - the paint bleeds eveywhere
SLY16V
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: not very technical but??rocker cover detailing... Fri, 07 May 2004 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the writing on a 3sgte is indented you could do it this way, paint the writing what ever colour you want then sand the whole cam cover with a flat block so all the overspray on the main bit is gone but it is neat in the writing then get them polished... it would come up awesome, i had my 4age cam covers polished and the are sooo shiny, it looks soo cool too

cheers mate
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: not very technical but??rocker cover detailing... Mon, 10 May 2004 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats a great idea,,,but i had my metal gt mirrors polished and they corroded up in no time,how long ago did you have the head donethis way and how is it looking now?
checks202
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004

Re: not very technical but??rocker cover detailing... Mon, 10 May 2004 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can get it polished, not sure were u would go but if its down good it shouldnt rust. One thing to be carefull of is heat!. polishing may look a treat but it also brings heat. Just hought id mention that.
For detailing you can get special paint ( i think from pep's or something), has to be rated at 150c or at least 120c. Then you simply paint it on with a paint brush.
The reason 120c + is because thats how hot a car gets when it overheats alltough it runs around 60 to 80c. Smile
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: not very technical but??rocker cover detailing... Mon, 10 May 2004 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeaaah mate dont paint it, polish it!
im stripping all the paint off my 2tg cam cover, its taking me ages, and the person that painted it did a bloody good job the pain stripper doesnt work so im scratching it off with some sandpaper!! Mad
checks202
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004

Re: not very technical but??rocker cover detailing... Tue, 11 May 2004 00:20 Go to previous message
I said polish it!! Then if it had something like toyota writen on it then thats were ud use that paint. Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:looking for Head Gasket 7M-GTE
Next Topic:Stock Sound System
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Oct 18 11:29:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.008577823638916 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.