Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » AE86 Suspension Strut removal?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

AE86 Suspension Strut removal? Sat, 08 May 2004 02:19 Go to next message
After struggling with removing the front passenger strut on my 86, i am bound to ask, is there any easy way?
Cos what i did was to remove the bolts to the lower steering linkage, and then the strut top bolts. Then i got a prybar in between the back of the steering linkage and the strut and pried it out.
But is there any easy way?
I assume it might be easier if i was to remove the stock sway bar, so the lower arms can float and sag down a bit.

Any hints?
  Send a private message to this user    
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 Suspension Strut removal? Sat, 08 May 2004 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah take the swaybar off, then you will be able to swing the lower arm down a bit and get some room to move the strut out Smile

Also another idea, if you want to take the strut tops off I'd suggest cracking the strut top while the struts are in the car!
(if you changing springs/shocks)

Cheers
Wilbo
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86 Suspension Strut removal? Sat, 08 May 2004 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cracking the strut tops? I have a rattlegun to do that Evil or Very Mad
But all in all the suspension struts are coming out and not going back in like that.
I have Koni Yellows, coilovers, cusco camber tops, in the corona hub/strut combo, along with hilux brakes to go back in.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AE86 Suspension Strut removal? Sat, 08 May 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pfft, struts are easy to get out, especially AE86 ones cos they're so darned light! just undo the bolts, brake hose, got a longish prybar, and maybe a second person to step on it if you're got good at juggling. Few minutes work!
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: AE86 Suspension Strut removal? Sat, 08 May 2004 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i read it up in the manual they recommend just undoing the top nuts bottom bolts and pry baring the lower control arm and pulling it out

put new springs in my car today bout hour and half to change front and rear
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86 Suspension Strut removal? Sat, 08 May 2004 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Took me about 15min to pull it out. But i think its cos i needed to undo the swaybar first.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: AE86 Suspension Strut removal? Sun, 09 May 2004 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've simply used my foot to push the lower control arm down by applying pressure to the radius rod - works everytime, your legs are stronger than your arms!
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86 Suspension Strut removal? Sun, 09 May 2004 07:27 Go to previous message
Ah didnt try that, mainly because the weight balance atm is tenuous at best. In somewhat of a slight oversight i pulled everything out of the back of the car before removing the engine. So its easy enough to push down on the front and get the rear to lift off the stands. I guess i could merely stack some of my sets of wheels in the boot though.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:driveshaft and engine crossmember's for TA23
Next Topic:Turbo manifold design
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Oct 22 20:56:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054159164428711 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.