Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Painting - Nuts, Bolts and Hinges...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Painting - Nuts, Bolts and Hinges... Sun, 09 May 2004 05:48 Go to next message
ok....so i've *almost* finished, but, before i can hang my doors i need to paint the hinges, and, before i can put my guards on need to paint the bolts ect.

anyone know if i need like a special sort of primer, possibly flexi prime, as, the last set of bolts i painted cracked as soon as i applied any torque/pressure.

also with my hinges i think the easiest and best way is to bead blast/sand blast them, then, prime and paint.

any feedback very welcome! thanks...
  Send a private message to this user    
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Painting - Nuts, Bolts and Hinges... Sun, 09 May 2004 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can always brush the bolt heads after you are happy with the aligment.

Hinges, blasting is fine - or just a good degrease and paint straight over (depends what result you're trying to achieve).

Doors etc are best painted (final coats at least) while they are bolted to the car (at the same time that the rest of the final coats are going on), bolting doors up after you have painted just begs for scratches.

Disclaimer: I am not a qualified painter, but I get by.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Painting - Nuts, Bolts and Hinges... Sun, 09 May 2004 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ack, screw painting them, go the plating!
alex_ta22
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Painting - Nuts, Bolts and Hinges... Sun, 09 May 2004 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just buy new plated ones for the ones that show
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Painting - Nuts, Bolts and Hinges... Sun, 09 May 2004 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get the hinges acid dipped. This will give a much better job and will be cheaper.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Painting - Nuts, Bolts and Hinges... Sun, 09 May 2004 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acid dipped? um, thanks but no...can't imagine what that would do the metal.

sandblasting seems to be the way to go. at least i think so anyway. i don't want to paint over them, as, in time they will chip and the paint might crack and i don't exactly want to see gold paint coming thru blue paint - yuck.

thanks for the responses!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Painting - Nuts, Bolts and Hinges... Sun, 09 May 2004 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 06:57

acid dipped? um, thanks but no...can't imagine what that would do the metal.

If you can't imagine, maybe you should be getting out more? If engine blocks, heads, brake calipers, crossmembers, and engine mounts can be acid dipped I dont see why there would be a problem with door hinges. I spose if you have plastic ones there could be a small problem.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Painting - Nuts, Bolts and Hinges... Sun, 09 May 2004 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acid + metal = ions + much smaller hinges Wink

just because people do it doesn't make it a good thing for everything.

and plastic? most plastics are at least resistant if not impervious to acid... how many metals can you say that about Very Happy
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Painting - Nuts, Bolts and Hinges... Mon, 10 May 2004 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 08:22

acid + metal = ions + much smaller hinges Wink

just because people do it doesn't make it a good thing for everything.

and plastic? most plastics are at least resistant if not impervious to acid... how many metals can you say that about Very Happy

I'm not sure where you get your engine parts and brake calipers dipped, but I wouldnt be going there again Confused The acid used for dipping engine parts and calipers does not harm metals at all. However it will eat the shit out of plastic, rubber and all other waxy substances.

Oh and sandblasting will remove more of the metal than acid ever will.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 May 2004 00:16]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Painting - Nuts, Bolts and Hinges... Mon, 10 May 2004 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 10:15

I'm not sure where you get your engine parts and brake calipers dipped, but I wouldnt be going there again Confused The acid used for dipping engine parts and calipers does not harm metals at all. However it will eat the shit out of plastic, rubber and all other waxy substances.

Oh and sandblasting will remove more of the metal than acid ever will.

Very Happy
acid DOES harm metals (except gold, platinum and others with either resistance or acidic passivation) used in engines, ie ferrous and aluminium alloys (thats what acids chemically do)

if this 'acid dip' removes plastic, rubber and waxy substances (i assume grease and oil too), then it is more likely a mixture of 'solvents', not acids. but i would be interested in finding out what is actually in it.. sounds more like a 'chemical dip'.

heh heh, particularly when sandblasting alloy rims for use on light planes.... oops Rolling Eyes

Cya, Stewart

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Painting - Nuts, Bolts and Hinges... Mon, 10 May 2004 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It appears that i'm confusing the term acid with chemical the same as you are confusing sandblasting with grit or wet basting. You cannot "sandblast" alloy. oops Rolling Eyes
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Painting - Nuts, Bolts and Hinges... Mon, 10 May 2004 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 10:47

It appears that i'm confusing the term acid with chemical the same as you are confusing sandblasting with grit or wet basting. You cannot "sandblast" alloy. oops Rolling Eyes

LOL, i DO mean sandblasting Wink

unfortunately the aviation company i was doing my year 10 work experience for at the time didn't realise this... (you would think they would tho huh?)

the sand really does eat the alloy away quickly Shocked

i don't think they are still in business now, so all is good Smile

anyhoo, back on topic
the hinges are a pretty complex shape so some kind of dipping/blasting would be good...

what about good ol' paint stripper?

then a nice coat of the POR stuff Smile
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Painting - Nuts, Bolts and Hinges... Mon, 10 May 2004 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shane. i do get out enough. i think Very Happy

stu, yup - paint stripper.
i tried sand blasting with limited results actually. pretty average. the paint stripper on the other hand - yup.

so how did i go :

http://www.vncommodore.com/images/celica/body/DSC00181.JPG

they will do. currently sitting in etch primer ready for paint in 30 mins...

[Updated on: Mon, 10 May 2004 06:04]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Painting - Nuts, Bolts and Hinges... Mon, 10 May 2004 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks like the stripper did quite a good job!! not much pint left Smile.. what kind/brand/etc was it?

heh heh, i don't get out nearly enough Wink can you tell? Confused
Cya, Stewart

ps, remember to regrease the pins after painting Wink
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Painting - Nuts, Bolts and Hinges... Mon, 10 May 2004 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
um, septone from memory.
burns holes in clothes, skin and most other things. quite effective. even removes paint (as you can see) Cool

well they got etch primed, then, painted, and are currently curing away in the garage. seem to have come up aok actually.

forgot to do the bonnet support and two hinges. which reminds me.

Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Painting - Nuts, Bolts and Hinges... Mon, 10 May 2004 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the chemical dip described is actually a very strong degreaser Shocked its ph neutral (or close to) so it doesnt harm the metal in any way.
and grease and oil being hydrocarbons just like rubber and paint all get dissolved leaving anything non organic aka. metal

hasnt anyone ever seen an old car get acid dipped? they use a mixture of acid and this strong degreaser to remove all the rust and paint. it does thin the body slightly but the rust being softer gets eaten first. Very Happy

get some new stainless bolts and dont worry about paint.
every bolt i pull out of my car gets replaced with a staino one, and if u can see it an allen head if possible Cool
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Painting - Nuts, Bolts and Hinges... Mon, 10 May 2004 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok so thats what it is. cool.
no i've never seen an old car get dipped. would be interesting to see though thats for sure!

yes stainless bolts would be a nice idea...or at least chromed ones anyway.

thanks for the ideas dudes. at least the hinges are now done Smile
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Painting - Nuts, Bolts and Hinges... Mon, 10 May 2004 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont know what sort of acid you have been using but there is more then 1 type. we have a acid at work we put on header plates of radiators and it eats everything except the steel and brass and can also be touch buy skin without serious injury. we then have a acid that cleans alloy but if left to long say 30 minutes it starts to eat it. Just dip for about 5 minutes and that will be the best finish. As for sandblasting that is also a good idea so long as you use a small sandblaster or handyman one. A industrial sandblaster iws sure to dipmple your hingles and chew away any weekish material. We also use both these ways at work and would prefer the acid over the blasting any day of the way. Want my opinion...give them a quick degrease and then just a sand at home with some 180grit paper. Then you know you cant go wrong and then align your panels and just give a quick spray of paint.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Painting - Nuts, Bolts and Hinges... Mon, 10 May 2004 22:49 Go to previous message
i used septone paint stripper, coated, left for 5 mins, cleaned, recoated, 5 mins, washed thoroughly with water then prepsoled, etch primed, then painted.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Mods Please Delete
Next Topic:Brake conversions for AE92's - a little conjecture, a little research
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Oct 18 17:17:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0082619190216064 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.