Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
kwakka
Newcomer

May 2004
RA28 suspension Mon, 10 May 2004 01:43 Go to next message
in light of what someone said about the possibly deadly combination of an RA28 celica and a 3S-GTE or 1G-GTE.... is it possible to make the handling of an RA28 decent enuff to open the throttle without putting it sideways into a tree???

i'd be happy to spend money on new shocks/springs/swaybars/strut braces etc but only if there's no modification needed to the chassis itself... i want a fast Celica, yes, but not if the crappy old suspension is gonna kill me.

Ideas?
  Send a private message to this user    
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 suspension Mon, 10 May 2004 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i recommend some firmer springs and shocks all round, bigger front swaybar and aftermarket rear bar, new bushings all round, maybe strut braces of you want/can make them.

my celica handles pretty well with a similar setup but does not have strut braces.
but then again my car does not have the power to compare with an 1G or 3S. the 18Rg doesnt seem to step out unless i want it to or on tight corners, but if i went turbo i would probably invest in some hillclimb tyres or at least the best street tread i can get to help with traction..
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 suspension Mon, 10 May 2004 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've spent a fair bit of time trying to get my RA28 handling well. It's far from finished but this is where i'm at :

Custom designed rack 'n pinion steering
Whiteline adjustable front swaybar
Shelby 18mm rear swaybar
35mm Roll centre adjusters
Pedders sports rider shocks front/rear
Noltec adjustable strut tops (Camber & Castor)
All bushes replaced with Noltec items
Toyota Corona XT130 struts
Custom front coilovers with 275lbs/in springs
1 inch lowered rear king springs

To improve on... I want to replace the shocks with Koni items, hopefully with a shorter stroke also.
I'm unsure of the rear spring rate, and would like to change this to around 200lbs/in.

Cheers
Joel
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: RA28 suspension Mon, 10 May 2004 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kwakka wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 09:43

is it possible to make the handling of an RA28 decent enuff to open the throttle without putting it sideways into a tree???

I certainly hope you realise the most powerful car is not necessarily the fastest or most efficient car? If you're prepared to throw enough money at it, you can make anything handle. I'd suggest those cars that step out, lose traction, or are generally troublsome to drive at the upper limit need more development work in their suspension and steering setup, to get more power to the ground effectively. The current line of thinking for suspension setup is softer springs and shocks, with firmer sway bars.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: RA28 suspension Mon, 10 May 2004 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, it is easily possible to get your RA28 handling well enough to accept greater power. A large number of aftermarket components exist that will make your car handle more than acceptably better. Examples:
Bushes from Superpro or Nolathane / Red Ranger.
Whiteline or Corona TT142 larger front sway bar.
Lovells or Kings springs
Koni or KYB shocks.
Whiteline rear sway bar.
There are many other bits available out there if you search hard enough for them.
Mitch.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: RA28 suspension Mon, 10 May 2004 08:31 Go to previous message
Bah.

How much power do you think a 1G has??? Just make sure that your suspension is in good condition and brakes have been upgraded accordingly.

I think you'll find that most of early celicas that have been put into trees had far from standard suspension and this combined with a heavy right foot is the cause of the bent car.

While the standard suspension is not inspiring, it is far from bad and plenty capable of pushing a 1G.

Having said that, any suspension set up that isn't maintained well or isn't designed properly will most likely be dangerous.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Alloy wheel scratch repair
Next Topic:To Import or buy an import
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Oct 19 13:21:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072410106658936 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.