Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
82MKII
Regular

July 2003
1JZ Temperature Sensor Curve Wed, 02 June 2004 14:53 Go to next message
I've discovered (not unexpected) that the temp vs resistance curve on a 1J water temperature sensor is different to that of a 5MGE water temp sensor.
I'm talking only about the sensor that is used to drive the temp gauge - not the one that feeds the ECU.
So that I can figure out how to drive my stock analogue MA61 temp gauge from the 1J sensor, I need the temp vs resistance curve for it.
Does anyone have this info?
FWIW - mine is measuring about 1.4k ohms at 10 degrees C (the 5MGE is about 3.3k at the same temp).

Thanks

Peter
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 1JZ Temperature Sensor Curve Wed, 02 June 2004 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i reckon a thermometer, a saucepan, and a multimeter will get you out of trouble Wink should only need maybe 5 points to get a decent curve... only 60 and above is really of interest anyway... and might want to try using cooking oil for the 100+ temps.

or you could get an LM35DZ precision temp sensor, a Picotech ADC-16 datalogger, and do it all techanical-like...

Cya, Stewart
82MKII
Regular

July 2003
Re: 1JZ Temperature Sensor Curve Thu, 03 June 2004 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Stewart - that was going to pretty much be plan b.
I am a little curious though - does this mean everyone with a 1J conversion hasn't bothered connecting their factory temp gauge?

Regards

Peter
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1JZ Temperature Sensor Curve Thu, 03 June 2004 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It works fine on digital dash.

why cant you use the existing 5m sensor in the 1j?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 1JZ Temperature Sensor Curve Thu, 03 June 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the temp sensors will often show divergence at low temps, but be pretty similar at high temps...

as Blucksupra says, you can always retain the stock temp sensor for your gauge, and tap it in somewhere... probably the easiest way to go, as long as there is a spare space for it (where the 1J's gauge sensor was?)

Cya, Stewart
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ Temperature Sensor Curve Thu, 03 June 2004 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a chaser dash in my car and it works fine Smile However, I am going to disconnect it and fit a proper temp guage anyway.
82MKII
Regular

July 2003
Re: 1JZ Temperature Sensor Curve Thu, 03 June 2004 14:41 Go to previous message
Thanks guys.
Unfortunately the stock 5MGE gauge sensor is bigger than the stock 1J gauge sensor.
I'll rip out the 1J sensor & boil it up.

Peter
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Sprinter speedo drive - 4.3 diff
Next Topic:4AGZE Power??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 17:05:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0039539337158203 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.