Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!]

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Thunderbird2
Regular

June 2004

icon5.gif  IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Thu, 03 June 2004 03:19 Go to next message
Hey All
*waves*
Another new member here; allow me a brief introduction.
Sydney based.
Car fanatic, strangely enough, love all cars but mostly Jap. Driven lots, owned a few too. Often seen hanging around a few members of this forum, and driving with various members of the local MX5 and RenaultSport Clio clubs (love those cars!)
Prefer windy to straight line driving. Love good handling and good feed back, but never met an extra KW or NM i didn't like. Been hanging around too many turbo SR/RB and 1/2J owners in the past, and the whoosh of turbo's is rather contagious, but of late, have begun to appreciate the wonders of NA performance.

Last car was a Cressida MX83 (7MGE) Grande, and after a few months of driving a bunch of work and loan cars including, notably a 285kw GenIII Evil or Very Mad, i am now the proud owner of an 01 IS200 Sports 6spd, man Very Happy

Having driven the IS200 and 300 quite a bit previously, (including some laps around Eastern Creek), the IS200 was my only choice since it has the handling and the 6 speeder, and the price was somewhat more affordable. Still, finding a manual in good nic was no easy task!

So - I plan, of course, to sort out that problem in the engine bay called a 1G-FE. As i see it, my choices are as follows:

- Forced induction of 1G-FE via supercharger (TTE) or custom turbo kit
- Swap with 3S-GE
- Swap with 1JZ
- Swap with 2JZ

I know Shane and Graham are in the throws of doing just such a swap, however my number one concern is the weight of the JZ engines. Have been unable to find exact figures on all engines, what i HAVE found is that the JZ engines weigh about 185-200kg, depending upon who you are talking too and if they have included the gearbox in their weighing.
Anyway, the main reason i chose this car was for the handling, and since this is of number one concern, i am leaning towards the 3S option (essentially turning the car into an RS200). Having said that, the torque of the JZ engines would make things easier around town... but turbo motors aren't the best for balancing on the throttle on the winding road... i'm kinda conflicted.

So PEOPLE! Opinions please, as to what i should consider that i haven't already. So far, discussions have concluded that the 1J is the best bang for buck option, which offers the most tuning potential for the least weight penalty. But i would like to hear more cases made for the 3S option - don't know much about the BEAMS engine, does it take kindly to mods, and would it be easy to mod if for more power without sacrificing to much low down torque, since it doesn't have much to begin with.

*phew* Rolling Eyes - if you've made it this far, why not post a response?!

Send a private message to this user    
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Thu, 03 June 2004 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have driven both IS200 and IS300 and I hated the IS300 after hopping out of the IS200.

That leads me to the conclusion that the 1JZ is too heavy for the chassis.

Your best bet would be the BEAMS II 3S-GE or turbo the 1G-FE.

I'd go for the turbo, but that's 'coz I like the Jekyl and Hyde nature of turbos (fuel efficient 2.0L or firebreathing monster).

What ever option you go for, make sure you document it all and keep us up to date!!!
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Thu, 03 June 2004 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1J all the way!

Bias? What's that?

-J-
Beej
Regular

April 2004

Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Thu, 03 June 2004 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lexus actually put a 1UZFE into one.......just never met production becuase its not part of the lexus "image" that toyota wants for that brand
Thunderbird2
Regular

June 2004

Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Thu, 03 June 2004 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found the IS300 somewhat dissapointing - engine is not very torque for a 6, sure it revs freely like any good Jap motor, but with the E-Shift aswell - just not my kinda car.
And i found it understeers when pushed hard.

There is a 3UZ (not 1UZ:blush:) version by TTE, AND it's supercharged! Evil or Very Mad

http://static.flickr.com/26/100674484_d77670fe52.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/35/100674369_6e0b98c8fc.jpg

Not the kinda car i'm after though...

[Updated on: Sat, 28 October 2006 15:08] by Moderator

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Thu, 03 June 2004 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The TTE one is actually a 3UZ-FE. Smile

I found the IS300 very unbalanced. Front end didn't have that magical turn-in of the IS200. The front end was a lot firmer than the rear too, which made it just lack the "perfection" of the IS200.

My actual thoughts on the cars were posted up here:
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=30083#msg_262746
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Thu, 03 June 2004 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i may be out of my depth here Wink but i don't think there is much potential for upping the power of the BEAMS 3S..
it's already making 200Nm, and 210ps (ish)... so there are no more Nm to be grabbed easily, if at all... you could possibly move the torque higher in rpm, but it already peaks at a high 6500rpm.. and power at about 7500rpm

i also think you'd be hard pressed to get a 'normal' 3S to BEAMS outputs... the lighter internals and variable bits just make it superior.

i think you're better options are getting a proper BEAMS 3SGE, or supercharging the 1G... the SC will give you the throttle response AND the torque..
the 3S will be pretty peaky, but lighter, and probably better for handling, and it would be ripsnorting NA fun Smile (although less torque than an SC'd 1G)
my 2 pesos Wink
Cya, Stewart

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Thu, 03 June 2004 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but with an SC'd 3UZ... and 600Nm on tap. the twisty bits matter less... get it on a straight and hang on Very Happy heh heh..

and as ricey as it is, having the curves printed on the bonnet is a nice marketing tool for shows Very Happy much nicer than a poster Wink

Cya, Stewart
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Thu, 03 June 2004 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like the idea of 1G GTE.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Thu, 03 June 2004 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another thing to get you thinking about the turbo 1G...

A guy in Melbourne did a turbo conversion... Original power was 81kW or so I think?
At just 7psi, he got 128kW (quick calculation says 180kW at the fly). That's 50% more power with just 7psi!!
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Thu, 03 June 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3sgte? I have no idea why this hasn't been brought up. If there's a reason please tell Smile
Thunderbird2
Regular

June 2004

Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Thu, 03 June 2004 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, my ignorance of Toyota engine codes has already been displayed, so you can bet i'm a little confused here..

1G-FE - 2 litre 6 NA. It's an old block, right? What other cars has it appeared in?
BEAMS 3S-GE - VVTi hi-po version of the 3S-GE from cars such as...???? How does this motor differ from the 3S-GTE that you always see being used in modified Toyota's? Rod Millen seems to use it alot, for example.
1UZ - LS400 V8 motor?
3UZ - LS430 V8 motor?

1G-GTE - turbo'd version of 1G-FE?? Lower compression i guess, what other differences between 1G-GTE and 1G-FE?

Nark - that turbo'd IS your referring to, is that TRD328's former IS200 Turbo, he had turbo'd by AVO. Not exactly a bolt on affair, but i still feel it's a waste modifying a block that's like 20 years old?! Guess it all depends on the result...

BTW, IMHO there are too many TLA's in this post! LOL!
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Thu, 03 June 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm...

I chose the 1JZGTE for all round performance, it is a little heavier, but having the TEIN coilovers, with EDFC will fix that problem Very Happy. I was tossing up between the 3SGE Beams, because if you like Hi revving engines, that suite the track, this is the one to get. Im building mine purley as a street car, but to get it on the track as much as possible. What put me off the 3SGE was the Price! Was too expensive for me, could get a 2JZGTE for that Razz. I was also thinking of the 3SGTE, but thought, why not just go straight for the 1JZGTE?? I cant wait till mine is out, will take it straight to the twisties, and test it out.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Thu, 03 June 2004 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

1G-FE - 2 litre 6 NA. It's an old block, right? What other cars has it appeared in?

First...

The "F" = fuel economic twincam (as in 1G-FE).
The "G" = performance twincam (as in 1G-GE).

The 1G-FE is average when talking about the other engines in here.

Quote:

BEAMS 3S-GE - VVTi hi-po version of the 3S-GE from cars such as...???? How does this motor differ from the 3S-GTE that you always see being used in modified Toyota's? Rod Millen seems to use it alot, for example.

The BEAMS 3S-GE is one mean NA 2L... one of the best 2L NAs around.

The 3S-GTE is the earlier turbo 2L found in the GT4s and MR2s.

Quote:

1UZ - LS400 V8 motor?
3UZ - LS430 V8 motor?

1UZ-FE = 4L V8.
3UZ-FZ = 4.3L V8.

Quote:

1G-GTE - turbo'd version of 1G-FE?? Lower compression i guess, what other differences between 1G-GTE and 1G-FE?

Not quite.
Its the 1G-FE with a better head and twin turbo'ed.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 June 2004 09:04]

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Thu, 03 June 2004 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go the beams 3S-GE

RS200!!

Thunderbird2
Regular

June 2004

Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Thu, 03 June 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, so, to consolidate we have these engine options:

1G-FTE - custom turbo or s/c install of IS200 motor
1G-GTE - old TT Soarer motor, right?
1G-GE - old Celica motor, right?
3S-GTE - MR2, GT4 motor
3S-GE (BEAMS) - RS200 motor
1JZ-GTE - 2.5L 6cyl turbo Supra
2JZ-GTE - 3L 6cyl turbo Supra

HOWEVER - we must now consider which engines are available post 2000, since i cannot put an older motor in (NSW laws). Both 1J and 2J are avaible now with VVTi, I am told.

Plus - what is the EASIEST install, as i would like to take the path of least resistance where at all possible. The 3S-GE would be the closest 'Plug and Play' option available, right?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Thu, 03 June 2004 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Plus - what is the EASIEST install, as i would like to take the path of least resistance where at all possible. The 3S-GE would be the closest 'Plug and Play' option available, right?

yes. seeing as the chassis has that exact engine installed in japan.

toda race 3sge engine... mmmmmmmm yum
http://www.todaracing.com/images/engine_toyota_3sg.jpg

[Updated on: Thu, 03 June 2004 09:33]

Thunderbird2
Regular

June 2004

Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Thu, 03 June 2004 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whoa - look at those throttle bodies. Man, i want THAT in my car like, NOW!

*adopts fat bastard voice*

GET IN MAHH ENGINE BAYY!!!

deesonet
Regular

May 2002
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Thu, 03 June 2004 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go for a real engine - 1JZGTE VVTi with Getrag V160 behind it. This complies with the post 2000 engine problem and fits straight in with very few modifications.

There is an IS200 sitting in my garage with a 1JZ and V160 fitted into it.

Yes the weight is slightly heavier but as Shane said fitting coil overs solves that problem. Note that the 1JZ is lighter than the 2JZ by about 15kg so even with the turbo setup on it is not as heavy as the IS300 version.

I looked at all the combinations before settling on the 1JZ. It should have been the standard engine in the IS200 anyway if the Toyota and Lexus boys had got their act together.

Anyway a little sacrifice in handling is more than offset by the 250 odd kw hanging under the bonnet.

andrij
Regular

December 2003
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Thu, 03 June 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 1G series motor was also in the Japan only crowns.
My GS/MS120 had a 1GE in it when i first bought it, and i found out that the wagon could have come with a supercharged twincam version of the 1G, a turbocharged twincam version as well as just a plain jane twincam.

The plain 1GE had a hard time pulling 1460 odd kg's of wagon, empty, but it was also backed up with an auto, so imagine the 0-100 figures.

Andrij
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Thu, 03 June 2004 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P. wrote on Thu, 03 June 2004 19:03

The "F" = fuel economic twincam (as in 1G-FE).
The "G" = performance twincam (as in 1G-GE).

The 1G-FE is average when talking about the other engines in here.

Except that it makes the same amount of power as the 1G-GE and (from memory) has a better torque curve...
Remember, it does have VVT-i.

As for the 3S-GTE question, it's not mentioned because of the difficulty of the conversion. You want something easy and a 3S-GTE conversion is certainly not!
If you want to know more about it, do a search for "3s rwd" or something like that.

The BEAMS II 3S-GE is already RWD though. The problem is that for the price of the front cut (~$6k), you could almost do a custom turbo for the 1G-FE.
The turbo 1G-FE will make more power and torque and will be more fuel efficient.
It'll be heavier than the 3S-GE though and will not be as fun to cane (N/A goodness and that 8000rpm redline).

If you were gonna race the IS200, I'd suggest spending the extra money and getting the BEAMS II, but for street use, you can't go past the turbo.

Oh, and yeah, it was TRD328's former car that I was talking about.
anthony84
Regular

February 2003
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Fri, 04 June 2004 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think go 4 a 2j late model one beacause the 1ggte and the 1j is to old for such a nice car and the 2j is a nice strong engine and people get masive power out of them and would look sweet in dat engine bay
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Fri, 04 June 2004 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alot of this talk is going to come down to what you intend the car for. When I was looking into a IS200 it was intended to be a daily driver and have minimal time off the road during conversion. It made sense to go for the BEAMS 3SGE or the 1J where there would be no requirment for engine modification or to supercherge the 1G-FE. On researching the possibilty of supercharging or turboing the Standard 1G I kept comming up with the issue of the VVti not being suited to alot of boost (or somthing to that effect) I abandoned the idea of turbo or S/C the standard engine early in the piece thus research was pretty inconclusive.

Bringing in an Altezza front cut and doing a BEAMS conversion seemed to me the most straight forward conversion (not entirely the cheapest but possibly close to it). Plus the added bonus of the Altezza brakes and possibly the instrumant cluster if you can get a dressed front cut. And no need to play with suspension as the 3SGE is a lighter package.
The 1J was in there as well but IMO would require suspension modification to retain the handling characteristics that were the reason I was concidering the IS200 in the first place.

So basically after some thourght on the BEAMS and the 1J the BEAMS would have got the nod in my case but would have really like to have the turbo in there for the spirited driving (not that there is no spirit in the BEAMS, Far from it)
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Fri, 04 June 2004 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have been thinking about this exact same problem for a long time now, but not having an IS200 yet means it will be a lot longer before I make it a reality!
And reading in Motor magazine recently about the NA 3UZ that Toyota Motorsports Development Europe fitted to a IS200 does not help either......
It is a shame to upset the delicious handling and balance of that oh-so-sweet IS200 chassis by sliping in a heavier motor out the front to give it the power and torque the thing deserves and a driver can really appreciate.

I don't know how much power you ultimately want in the end, but I reckon a blown arrangement for your 1G-FE must be a strong contender.
Unlike Lambolica I don't believe that the VVti is a disadvantage or problem in a blown car. After all this VVti just changes to another more aggressive profile at a designated rpm, if anything just a bonus to a forced induction motor.

So, is its a mild power upgrade you want adding minimal weight and a straightforward conversion, I would look at a 1G-GZE motor and adapt the S/C and pipework, belts and pulley's onto your car.
Mitch.

[Updated on: Fri, 04 June 2004 04:19]

Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Fri, 04 June 2004 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd be surprised if the 3UZ was significantly more heavy than the 2JZ to tell the truth. The 2J has a big strong cast iron block.

The other thing is that the 3UZ is only 4 cylinders long as opposed to the 2J which is obviously six cylinders long. Sure the 3UZ is much wider and this will have the back of the engine mounted a little further from the firewall than the 2J but it will still end further back in the engine bay than the 2J. This means there is less mass hanging out in front of the front axle which is what causes the IS300 to push more than the IS200.

In reality I'm sure an IS430 would handle at least as well as an IS300.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Fri, 04 June 2004 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, considering that, from all reports I've heard, the 1UZ-FE is about 25kg lighter than a 1JZ-GTE, the 3UZ-FE should come in under than the 2JZ-GE.

Plus the packaging is much better for balance.
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Fri, 04 June 2004 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For what its worth man, i have a good friend selling a Stage 2 AVO kit for the 1GFE, he has decided to go 1J aswell, he has made 158rwkw with that engine, it includes everything from Turbo, Computer to even the Blitz Boost guage! He wnts $6000 ono.
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Fri, 04 June 2004 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Youve stated you like the twisties and your not sure about getting a heavier set engine. All good but how about the main reason ur looking for an engine swap. IE. What power levels do you want. Do you just want a swap and instant power leaving it stock. Or will you take a light modded or perhaps heavy modded path on the new powerplant?

My opinions.

3SGE. If your that set on that NA performance and want something that modded will be floating around/upto the 180rwkw mark this is your beast.

GEN3 (beams) 3SGTE. If you want 200rwkw or there abouts with more potential in them then this is for you (modded).

2JZGTE. Lastly if your going to go overboard with an engine swap and you want the high KW then go the this.

EDIT:: I must have been drunk this morning and i believe i meant 180kw (flywheel) (too used to typing rwkw) either that or i wanted to type HP. Laughing Damn this is an old topic.

[Updated on: Sat, 12 November 2005 21:34]

KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Fri, 04 June 2004 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew, how easy is it to acheive 180rwkw in a Beams 3SGE?? I love NA power, but had no idea you could get them making this powee! Is thatok on the street??
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Fri, 04 June 2004 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm with Graham. 1/2JZGTE VVTi, V160 and some suspension work and you'd have a legal killer combo.

Let's just say someone on these forums has a 150rwkW BEAMS 3SGE. Definitely not for a fat pig like an IS200. Knowing what has been done to the motor, I'm not sure how you'd get it to 180 rwkW AND running on pump fuel (apart from fudging the dyno figures). He would like to know too.

[Updated on: Fri, 04 June 2004 23:04]

deesonet
Regular

May 2002
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Fri, 04 June 2004 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Who said the 1JZ looks old - the VVTi looks as modern as the 2JZ.Emailled some photos to Matt to drool over.

I think any of the swaps is a good measure as the only thing I found wrong with the IS200 was its total lack of power.

It comes down to the availability of motors and how much you want to pay.

Graham
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Sat, 05 June 2004 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Sat, 05 June 2004 09:03

Let's just say someone on these forums has a 150rwkW BEAMS 3SGE. Definitely not for a fat pig like an IS200. Knowing what has been done to the motor, I'm not sure how you'd get it to 180 rwkW AND running on pump fuel (apart from fudging the dyno figures). He would like to know too.

I remember reading an article about the TODA BeamsII engine and it went something like 12:1CR, and ~290* cams. Thats how you get more power from the Beams. Not entirely practical for a road driven car though.

As for the 1/2JZ its really impractical as many have said.
The 3SGTE is impossible for his purposes unless he rebuilds an entire engine from scratch with GTE internals. All because of those dates.

I reckon the BeamsII or rebuild another post-2000 1G-FE with 1G-GTE internals. Should be pretty easy to do, especially as you dont have the wiring headaches.

From everything ive read (ive considered doing this myself) the wiring is a BITCH, with about 7 computers controlling everything. Getting things working in this car is a really big PITA.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Sat, 05 June 2004 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Takai, this engine is similarly specced to that TODA motor but a bit hotter in the cams. TRD claim 276 (crank) hp @ 8000+ rpm with their 13:1 pistons, 296 degree, 13.5mm lift cams and racing fuel. $5/litre Elf isn't pump fuel. Smile
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Sat, 05 June 2004 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1g head swap, custom plenum, built bottom end and 450hp worth of turbo/external wstegate and a twin plate.
deesonet
Regular

May 2002
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Sat, 05 June 2004 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't forget that the weak link in the IS200 is the J160 gearbox.

There are already a large number of IS200 owners with complains about the box without dumping more power into it. Just check out the Lexus Owners Club website and it is probably the most discussed item on there.

So it doesn't matter what you hang under the bonnet the gearbox will need some work.

As for the wiring it is no worse than most cars. I fitted an Autronic in parallel with the 1G-FE engine computer so that the existing computer network was not upset. Most of the wiring from the 1G-FE had comparable wires from the 1JZ. Not a lot of difference between them.

Not sure if there are complications with fitting the BEAMS motor and computer - does it swap over for the 1G-FE computer??

[Updated on: Sat, 05 June 2004 03:48]

charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Sat, 05 June 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is a bit off topic, but the 3rd generation of the 3sge had vvt-i also, and was fwd form. What are the differences between the 3rd gen 3sge ~ 195bhp and the beams 3sge ~ 210bhp?
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Sat, 05 June 2004 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
charliechalk wrote on Sat, 05 June 2004 17:38

This is a bit off topic, but the 3rd generation of the 3sge had vvt-i also, and was fwd form. What are the differences between the 3rd gen 3sge ~ 195bhp and the beams 3sge ~ 210bhp?

AFAIK, the beams had much lighter components (crank, rods, etc).
It also had factory compression of 11.5:1. (!!!)
ke30king
Forums Junkie

On Probation

March 2005
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Sun, 22 May 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stuph all them spiffy motors... chuck in a 3k-c!!!
all the way its got the power its bloody light and its easy to find bits for!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Sun, 22 May 2005 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well that was worth reviving a year old thread for. Rolling Eyes
Thunderbird2
Regular

June 2004

Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Sun, 22 May 2005 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, well it's food for thought, and i've taken that suggestion on board. Wink

Have actually decided to pursue the TTE supercharger route, providing i can obtain one for a good price, which may happen in the near future.

The other TTE supercharged IS200 we have in the club has been making very acceptable horses on a conservative level of tune. It's not a major feat to install, and is easily reversible if i want to sell. And providing my hook up comes through, it will be the best 'bang for buck' I'm going to get.

My research on the engine swap route thus far has led me to conclude that, given more funds, i would go with the 1UZ. It fits in the car exceptionally well, and sits further back against the firewall then a 1J.

[Updated on: Sun, 22 May 2005 23:54]

KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Mon, 23 May 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You know you want the 1J man, I will still own y ou on the toque if you get the SC Razz
Thunderbird2
Regular

June 2004

Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Mon, 23 May 2005 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing we shall see. I still don't think i'll be any faster up Jamberoo pass though.... Shocked
Surprised i'm not missing one of my mirrors after that!
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Mon, 23 May 2005 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tell me about it! Na, SC would be perfect for it man, my car was very laggy going up hill syesterday, its way too laggy for that stuff, might be faster, but not as fun.
kanazai2001
Newcomer

October 2005
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Fri, 28 October 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no hard feeling... original 3S-GE dual VVT-i BEAMS is found in RS200 toyota Altezza in Japan... unfortunately it is UNDERPOWER althought u have it fully modified to TODA spec... this is because of the car itself is too heavy for this engine... if possible pls go for JZ-GTE VVT-i engine from chaser or Supra... u have much more room to expand from there in term of power n torque, turbo orientation n so on... i have sold off my RS200 altezza coz it is not worst to invest for the power...

cheers...
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Fri, 28 October 2005 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow...the forums are running hell slow....his reply took 5 months to come thru! Rolling Eyes
kanazai2001
Newcomer

October 2005
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Fri, 28 October 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahhaa... i just got to know about this discussion... n im new in this forum as well...

i saw what u have did to ur corona... well done... how is the power?! up to ur expectation or full of surprises?
Thunderbird2
Regular

June 2004

Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Thu, 10 November 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RS200 is about balance and power. The 1J and 2J conversions add considerable weight in the front end, so you get awesome power at the expense of handling/balance.
Horses for courses.... the Vertex Altezza from Japan runs around 380ps from it's 2J, but there are plenty of 400ps-500ps 3SGE turbo RS200's. The BEAMS 3SGE can be made to make good power also, without the additional weight. And you don't have to go to the extreme's of a TODA spec engine... indeed, 4 Throttle BEAMS 3SGE's don't make as good power as a turbo BEAMS 3SGE.... i reckon i'd choose the quad throttles in a flash, though!

Note: have recently been to Japan, and among other goodies i picked up the second copy of Hyper Rev for the Altezza (there are 3 in total). Fantastic stuff, even if i don't know many kunji characters! Hence all the figures above quoted in 'ps'
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Thu, 10 November 2005 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"the Vertex Altezza from Japan runs around 380ps from it's 2J"

Its actually a VVti 1J man! So your back? And thats all you brought me?
kanazai2001
Newcomer

October 2005
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Fri, 11 November 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi, thunderbirdZ,
can u forwarded those altezza hyper rev copies to me, my email is kanazai2001@yahoo.de. what i know of is dual vvt-i beam 3SGE is a high compression rate high rev engine, i saw jap has putting in a supercharger / turbo for it with low boast but also with help of intercooler due to the heat generated n without sacrificing the compression rate. may b with some extreme engineering on thermodynamic can increase the power of this enigine like it described in the paper u got. Smile

vvt-i JZ-GTE engine has more room, more easier n cheaper to expand due to it low compression rate, originally not fully optimized n a lot of aftermarket parts u can get. the original design of the altezza SXE10 is to accommodate in-line 6 engine. the JZ engine is sitting right after the front wheels. weight balancing between front n end shouldnt be much problem. altezza is a 4 doors sedan thus it is hardly to achieve 50-50 front end weight balance. slightly lighter end is more easy to drift. Razz

2ZZGE also can generates about 400 - 500ps with help of turbo. it is much much more lighter than 3SGE due to it made by aluminium but it is only available for FF except someone came out with conversion kit like the 3SGTE few years back. Very Happy

my dream ---> 1UZ...
Thunderbird2
Regular

June 2004

Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Sat, 12 November 2005 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry dude, my knowledge of Kanji is still at kindergarten level! Hence i can only go on the Enlish in the article, and it doesn't say 1 or 2J. And it runs 330ps/1.15kg/cm, for the record... (i actually dug out the article this time).

Yes, i am back, and it's all here:
http://forum.altezzaclub.org.au/index.php?showtopi c=1923

And for the record, the Altezza RS200 is designed to have 50-50 weight distribution. It is one of the reasons it handles so well. A full spec TRD Altezza RS200 we have here in Sydney has been described by at least two motorsport drivers who have driven it on the track as the best handling road car they have ever driven!

Kanzai, unfortunately i don't have a scanner, however copies of all 3 Altezza Hyper Rev editions can be obtained for the reasonable price of 2000Y plus postage from Japan. Try Village Vanguard, the coolest store chain in Japan!

[Updated on: Sat, 12 November 2005 04:06]

-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Sat, 12 November 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=M.W.P. wrote on Thu, 03 June 2004 19:03]
Quote:

The BEAMS 3S-GE is one mean NA 2L... one of the best 2L NAs around.

The 3S-GTE is the earlier turbo 2L found in the GT4s and MR2s.

the 3S-GTE is the eariler turbo 2L found in the gtfours and mr2's, its also the CURRENT turbo 2l found in the caldina gtfours (st215) in japan,i have no doubt in the world that one of these things will eventually be finding its way into my 165 engine bay.

it may also interest u to know that a couple of the jap tuning houses..namely JUN and top secret have both built 750+whp supras for top speed racing, and much to my surprise they have ditched the 2j and trasnplanted the current generation of 3sgte into them....just an idea...cheers
Thunderbird2
Regular

June 2004

Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Sat, 12 November 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A little OT - saw a bunch of GT Four Caldina's whilst in Japan recently. The new model looks totally awesome! All swoopy and edgy like.... as a designer might say.... Very Happy I'd wager that the new 3SGTE engine out of that car would be a cracker of an engine for any number of older model Toyota's. Not likely to be a cheap motor/front-cut for a while though, right?
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Sat, 12 November 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah i cant imagine it being cheap by any stretch of the imagination, theres bound to be one or 2 around that have been written off and such tho....im not looking at getting one for a couple of years when i inherit some moneys lol
doitch
Newcomer

November 2005
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Sat, 12 November 2005 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g'day i'm new to this site and i was wondering if any of you have any segestions about me using my Ke20 corolla and putting a 13b in it, i relise alot of people have probably done it to but it's what i want to do, so if you could help me out in the costs and the difficulties i would be very thankful. thanks...... Nik
kanazai2001
Newcomer

October 2005
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Mon, 14 November 2005 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
e.e.er... Cool nvm... as least i knew a altezza n 3S fan... hahhaa... my 3S still couldnt smell the RS200 smoke yet... what a shamed... Sad
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Mon, 14 November 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doitch wrote on Sat, 12 November 2005 15:51

g'day i'm new to this site and i was wondering if any of you have any segestions about me using my Ke20 corolla and putting a 13b in it, i relise alot of people have probably done it to but it's what i want to do, so if you could help me out in the costs and the difficulties i would be very thankful. thanks...... Nik

Firstly, I'd recommend doing a search. Secondly, you'd be better off starting your own thread rather than trying for information in an IS200 thread.
kanazai2001
Newcomer

October 2005
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Mon, 14 November 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KE70... hmmm... transplant a 4AGE 20V inside will do... u can drift that car like flying on the road... the chasis is same with AE86... have fun...
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Mon, 14 November 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beams gets my vote, and why didn't anyone mention the TRD kit in japan for this engine? 198kw NA beams goodness.
kanazai2001
Newcomer

October 2005
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Mon, 14 November 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea... goodness... dual VVT-i beam 3S is the top of its range... but for xXE10 chassis might be not enough especially for the low end torque during normal driving... coz the power band is on high rev...
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!] Mon, 14 November 2005 23:47 Go to previous message
1UZ is 15kg lighter than the 1JZ?
Hmmm why not try a quad cam v8 then?
If u r prepared to goto the trouble a 3sgte would be nice...
the straight 6's in the is200 though.... hmmmm mite as well buy a soarer if you want power over handling....
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1jz will not crank, possibly seized
Next Topic:AE86 Indicator Lense
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:56:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0096211433410645 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.