Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
MDF for speaker boxes Thu, 10 June 2004 10:39 Go to next message
Does anyone know a cheap place to get some wood to make speaker boxes. How much would you be looking at to make a small sub box or boxes for 6*9s. In sydney please. Preferably nthn beaches way. Is bunnings ok or are there better places?

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: MDF for speaker boxes Thu, 10 June 2004 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can by premade 6x9 speaker boxes from Audio Shops such as Strathfield Car Radios...
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: MDF for speaker boxes Thu, 10 June 2004 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah but I was going to try my hand at being crafty!
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: MDF for speaker boxes Thu, 10 June 2004 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shop around a bit dude... Bunnings will most likely be a little more expensive, especially if you get them to cut it...

I believe there is a timber yard somewhere in Mona Vale... Where abouts are you in Mona Vale anywayz and what do you drive??? I'm always around that area...
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: MDF for speaker boxes Thu, 10 June 2004 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah there's one in Narrabeen might try there. My Dad knows someone so maybe cheap. I'd just get a sheet and cut it up with a jigsaw.

I'm just off pittwater rd. few streets south of the BP (near cop station). What do you do over here?

I've just got a bog stock ae82 twin cam seca - white one..distinctive feature:
Roof Racks and missing rear wiper, so silver duct tape over hole (need to go out to pick n payless to "pick" up a wiper motor another one). I'll look out for your beast

Smile

Did you got to sydney uni or was the car around there last year or so (parked during day). It looks familiar. There was a car parked around darlington all the time that looked similar to yours!

[Updated on: Thu, 10 June 2004 12:16]

Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: MDF for speaker boxes Thu, 10 June 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm... I don't think there are many white AE82's around that area Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes ...

However, there are no Corolla's like mine at all Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ... So you will have to look out for me instead... And my g/f lives at Avalon so I'm always cruising past there... I'll be down around Mona Vale on Sunday night actually...

And me go to uni??? Hehehe... Funny, funny man... But seriously, not me dude... I attend Hornsby Tafe currently doing the 3rd and final year of my mechanic apprenticeship...
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: MDF for speaker boxes Thu, 10 June 2004 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just go and buy it from mitre ten or something,
seriously mdf isnt expensive.
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: MDF for speaker boxes Thu, 10 June 2004 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can easily buy it from anywhere but the cheapest place you'll find is a timber yard... They are always much better for pre cut timber anywayz...
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: MDF for speaker boxes Thu, 10 June 2004 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh its not that expensive at all, you can even buy some off cuts for even cheaper. My subs are surrounded in PVC tubing (awesome bass and sound) and i just whacked it into an mdf box. Try the PVC, good stuff. Razz

PS i know some people think it makes no sense, but it does kick arse Cool
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: MDF for speaker boxes Thu, 10 June 2004 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate bunnings can sell you 1" MDF 2m X 2m for about $30 if you are nice that might even cut it into smaller bits for you Smile
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: MDF for speaker boxes Thu, 10 June 2004 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't allow the guys at Bunnings to do your cutting. You could cut closer to a marked out line with your eyes shut.

Go there and find out if they have off-cuts. Most people don't buy a whole sheet so there are fairly decent sized bits left often. You can pick up off-cuts dirt cheap but a whole sheet will cost heaps.
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: MDF for speaker boxes Thu, 10 June 2004 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the help - will give the off cuts a go! Very Happy
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: MDF for speaker boxes Fri, 11 June 2004 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I got a massive 3600 x 1200 x 16 mm sheet (carried it home on top of the celica + roof racks.. lol it was as big as the car)

planned out the boxes... bit of jigsawing, gluing, carpeting, screwing (not in that order hehe)

and we have sweet as boxes Very Happy
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: MDF for speaker boxes Fri, 11 June 2004 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not suggesting to get bunnings to cut your sub out for you, they'd never do that anyway. They will cutthe 2 x 2 down into 4 more manageable squares, that fit into your car without roof racks, then mark out your sub and use your jigsaw at home Smile
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: MDF for speaker boxes Fri, 11 June 2004 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I know you weren't suggesting that... I just didn't want anyone to think that Bunnings would do a good job just because they are a business.

Even better than a jigsaw for boxes is a circular saw with a nicely set up guide or a table saw if you have one. A jigsaw should be used for the holes only. Straight cuts will never be straight if you use a jigsaw. Smile
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MDF for speaker boxes Fri, 11 June 2004 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've always gone to bunnings to get my MDF. I've usually already got the sketches of the box sizes done, So I get the staff there to cut it into correct width strips, then I cut the lengths at home with the jigsaw or the circular saw. (precutting just makes it easier to carry home in the hatchback.)

Bunnings charge by the cut so cut get them to cut minimum cuts for your front, top, bottom and back (ie 1 cut same width) then cut that piece up yourself.
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: MDF for speaker boxes Fri, 11 June 2004 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm thinking now maybe I will make parcel shelf out of MDF - anybody done this on an ae82 seca. I'll have to have a look. It curls up at the boot end though (standard shelf)..don't know how it wil turn out.

Thanks Sim and lambo
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: MDF for speaker boxes Fri, 11 June 2004 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try mr plywood. they cut to size for free (well ive never paid) just take in your sizes/drawings and they decide what sheets they will cut from (offcuts if they have them or full sheets) and have always been cheaper than bunnings etc and always in stock
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: MDF for speaker boxes Fri, 11 June 2004 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where are mr plywood? Anybody made a tray for an early model seca? Have to see how possible it is..i.e. look inside car
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: MDF for speaker boxes Fri, 11 June 2004 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.misterplywood.com.au/nswstores.htm

lists all nsw stores etc
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: MDF for speaker boxes Fri, 11 June 2004 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks - prices look pretty good..
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: MDF for speaker boxes Fri, 11 June 2004 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to bad ur not in newcastle, i have so much MDF sitting in my garage (if anyone wants some let me know, i wanna get rid of it). I used to work at NOVER, cutting out kitchens (mainly MDF), id fill up a large bin every week with offcuts.. and theres some pretty damn big offcuts too, if u can find a place that cuts anything out of MDF locally i can guarantee u that they'll have offcuts that they would give away. hope this helps. Chris
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: MDF for speaker boxes Fri, 11 June 2004 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if only I were in newie! Thanks for the offer though!

If you get MDF wet, is it screwed?
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: MDF for speaker boxes Fri, 11 June 2004 14:08 Go to previous message
depends if it has been wet once or a heap of times, should be allright if its just once, but if its been left in the rain i wouldnt use it.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Mazda and Honda forums???
Next Topic:My new MA61
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:35:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078840255737305 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.