Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Brake ideas???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Brake ideas??? Thu, 10 June 2004 16:04 Go to next message
OKAY, for those that don't know I'm getting close to buying a st185 frontcut in order to do you know what (read signature), anyway I have a slight problem if you would like to call it that. I have a ST model st162 which includes drum brakes on the rear and a 4 stud pattern (I shouldn't add this if i want a reasonable answer seeming most should know, but anyway).
So my problem is this in order to get an engineers i'll need to do a brake upgrade, but seeming i have very nice rims that suit my car, I'm afraid that i might lose them in order to do this conversion.
What i had in mind was to convert my front discs to the back, and somehow utilise the st185 brakes onto the front, but I'm unsure how to pull this off seeming the st185 brakes are 5 stud, so could anyone/s voice their opnion on this?

Much appreciated
Cooba
  Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Brake ideas??? Fri, 11 June 2004 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As far as a know with a ST162, you should be able to re-stud the hubs from 5 down to 4, or you may be faced with getting new hubs for the front custom machined up from scratch.
Cheers,
Mitch.
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Brake ideas??? Fri, 11 June 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmmm I knew this might be the case, i pretty much have no option rather than to change the hubs from the st185, most engineering joints would be able to change 5 to 4 stud right? If not where do I have to look.
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Brake ideas??? Sat, 12 June 2004 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Tue, 22 June 2004 09:06]

SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Brake ideas??? Tue, 22 June 2004 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, I'm not really going to worry about the brakes for the time being because it's stressing me a bit, so I'm going to stress about saving money and finding a new place to live seeming i don't have a garage where a live atm, so there will be NO 3sgte until i have a garage, but I'm pretty sure i'll have to do the brake upgrade after the conversion so if anyone does have ideas or such please let me know.
Thanks
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Brake ideas??? Fri, 25 June 2004 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it seems a bit counter-intuitive to spend money getting hubs converted to 4 stud in order to upgrade the brakes on your car just so you can keep the rims Smile
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Brake ideas??? Sat, 26 June 2004 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmm point noted. I really can't be bothered finding new rims though especially when mine were so cheap, I'd have to compare the costs, but that will also add more time to doing the conversion because I would need to save up more money, which I really don't want to do, as I'm hoping to have this done by the end of the year.
I'm really stuck here now, thats why I'm not going to do shit to the brakes for the time being. Fitting the engine is the 1st priority. Sorry to all if I'm being a tad stubborn and undecisive.
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: Brake ideas??? Sat, 26 June 2004 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this may be a stupid post but i thought the 162 came with a 5 stud pattern, i swear my mates does!!!!! but then again i thought they came standard with 4 wheel disc brakes i will be check this out on his car new time i see it!!!!!

oh yeah what do the rims look like?
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Brake ideas??? Sun, 27 June 2004 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah your right in one way, BUT the celica came out in a variety of models SX,ST,GT,GTfour and i happen to have the poverty ST model that comes with rear drums and 4 stud pattern. Your friend probably has the SX model. Its the same with the 5th gen

Here's a link to my car: http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=35284&start=0&rid=3460&S=1e3769c1743 1a2fb6e48cef30a2605b3
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Brake ideas??? Sun, 27 June 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so the only reason you are worring about changing to 5 stud gt4 brakes is because of your wheels???

the thing here is you want performance or looks, you could always score a set of standard SX rims, and go the sleeper look.

how much did the rims cost you? and how big are they? are they worth keeping and getting custom hubs?

I say ditch the rims and go the 5 stud patern, you'd be much better off, you can always easily get new rims. and sell those to someone in a corolla
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: Brake ideas??? Sun, 27 June 2004 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are you serious? i wasn't aware that we got the ST or the GT here in aus, at least in the 5 gen which mine is, i knew mine was an SX, and i knew about the GT in america, and GT4 was released here.
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Brake ideas??? Sun, 27 June 2004 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Sun, 27 June 2004 16:29

so the only reason you are worring about changing to 5 stud gt4 brakes is because of your wheels???

the thing here is you want performance or looks, you could always score a set of standard SX rims, and go the sleeper look.

how much did the rims cost you? and how big are they? are they worth keeping and getting custom hubs?

I say ditch the rims and go the 5 stud patern, you'd be much better off, you can always easily get new rims. and sell those to someone in a corolla

You wanna know something wiso, you make a VERY GOOD ARGUMENT, and a very reasonable one at that.
Tell you the truth I somehow didn't think of that, well I did, but I was seeing if there might be any other routes to take. But your point is very worthy of taking into consideration. By the way the rims i have atm moment are 17s, I payed 350 for the whole set. And yes i really like them because they're a perfect match to my car.
Though i guess I'd rather performance over looks definately!

DunkyMonkey: You might profit from doing some research into the CELICA, there's heaps of info here and on celica.net,etc, just do a search on something you might want to know.
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: Brake ideas??? Mon, 28 June 2004 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool thanks dude, i'll look at it.
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Brake ideas??? Mon, 28 June 2004 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quick question: Is there a possibility of using brakes from another car with the same stud pattern and such?
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: Brake ideas??? Mon, 28 June 2004 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
of course, but once again you will need to pay to pick up some, and the debate over is it really worth it for the mags dude.

PS, celica.net is american.... enuff said.
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Brake ideas??? Tue, 29 June 2004 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DunkyMonkey wrote on Tue, 29 June 2004 02:55

of course, but once again you will need to pay to pick up some, and the debate over is it really worth it for the mags dude.

PS, celica.net is american.... enuff said.

Yeah fair enough, but I would like to know off what cars? anyone?

By the way if you have a look through celica.net there is actually an Australian section, anyhow why does it matter if it's american or not (well, I can understand in some aspects), BUT it has heaps of useful info that you might benefit from.
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: Brake ideas??? Tue, 29 June 2004 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you don't mind having disc brakes that are all the same you might be able to track down some of the front disc brakes for the 162, then you would know that they will fit the mags that you have, but i think you'll probably want larger discs for the front. as for other cars brakes its not quite as simple as finding a brake disk with 4 studs, usually brakes worth selling will be larger and sometimes hard to fit inside your mags, however with that being said your wreckers will be your friend in this they would have many stock brake systems and i'm sure you'll probably find what you are looking for. with that being said everything has it's price.

you would probably need to look into the tech stuff about putting in the dics, i know some ppl that have done it, but i'm not in close contact with them.

ps. i might look up the austalian section on celica.net
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: Brake ideas??? Tue, 29 June 2004 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry kept getting a msg failure, then it came up okay more then twice now..... help how do you delete them Sad

[Updated on: Tue, 29 June 2004 14:14]

DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: Brake ideas??? Tue, 29 June 2004 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry kept getting a msg failure, then it came up okay more then twice now..... help how do you delete them Sad

[Updated on: Tue, 29 June 2004 14:16]

DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: Brake ideas??? Tue, 29 June 2004 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry kept getting a msg failure, then it came up twice

[Updated on: Tue, 29 June 2004 14:12]

SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Brake ideas??? Tue, 29 June 2004 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well you can edit them in the edit msg tab, and then write nothing so they appear with "No message body" or find some more info and type it in, or type "please delete" and if the moderator sees it he might delete it.
Anyhow thanks for the info, now there's more research in order for me. YAY Very Happy
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: Brake ideas??? Wed, 30 June 2004 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i hope you sort everything out, good luck to you!!
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Brake ideas??? Thu, 01 July 2004 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers dude,

Now! does anyone know of any cars I might be able to use the brakes from, I'm not saying I might do this, but just so I have an idea. Thanks
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Brake ideas??? Wed, 07 July 2004 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OKAY One of the old 80s 3series BMW came through work today and I noticed it was 4 stud i asked the guy if he knew the diameter, he didn't but it looked promising, anyone know?
By the way the guy gave me a $3 tip, thats goin straight to the GTE fund.
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Brake ideas??? Tue, 13 July 2004 11:47 Go to previous message
Quote:

OKAY One of the old 80s 3series BMW came through work today and I noticed it was 4 stud i asked the guy if he knew the diameter, he didn't but it looked promising, anyone know?

4x100
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Zenki & Kouki LSD's
Next Topic:T03 4age manifold
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 08:40:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066020488739014 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.