Toymods » General Car Talk » Front wheel drives

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Bradelz
Regular

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 22 September 2004 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HAHAHAHA Laughing
the video camera's software for the computer is real dodgy and when i want to download a movie to the computer it stops it half way throught and i dont know why, but if i have troubles ill contact you and ill get some pics instead. we have 3 of these little beasts but were selling 2 Smile brad
  Send a private message to this user    
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 22 September 2004 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Wed, 22 September 2004 13:05

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

check this out

http://www.ehow.com/how_7676_determine-car-front.h tml

erm.. chances are if you need this website you can't open your bonnet anyway..

lol he forgot to mention MR! as seen in the "Tips" section
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 28 September 2004 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It just struck me: the Bi-Motor Audi TT is FWD and RWD with 2 seperate engines!! That car could make everyone happy!!

It helps that it does 200+mph Rolling Eyes
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 28 September 2004 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no it is AWD, It's an audi Quattro that has been converted, and the asking price is whattt.
It is mad but out of the price range of us mere mortals. Plus imagine the fuel it would use, two heavily modified 1.8litres turbos cheez., I'm guessing at least 30l per 100km when drvien moderatley quickly.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 28 September 2004 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forgot that thing has two tachos as well, one for each engine.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 30 September 2004 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Mon, 20 September 2004 17:50

MR 1GGTE wrote on Sun, 19 September 2004 13:32

mick wrote on Sun, 19 September 2004 12:07

MR 1GGTE wrote on Sun, 19 September 2004 12:33

mick wrote on Sun, 19 September 2004 11:56

Na mate all's well. just bored shitless and was hoping to start something with that remark

Nice try Rolling Eyes

Laughing I'll try harder next time

FWD'S SUCK MAJOR PENISES!!!

see thats how you gotta do it Wink

That's the spitit 1GGTE ! ! ! !

Ya gotta single-out one specific group of enthusiasts to flame. If you bag everyone, people just ignore you!

I've found it also helps if you try and explain WHY the group/vehicle(s) are ghey, and also demean the intelligence of the owners of said car(s).

For example:

V6 Camrys might be handy in a straight line (once they've stopped uselessly spinning wheels off the line), but try and turn a corner AND accelerate. Eh?? what happens geek?

Plough Understeer!

Thats right losers. At least the Toyota engineers make the steering so numb & lifeless in Camrys that you can't feel the torque-steer.

I reckon my mates V6 Camry handles better then most of the rear wheel drive shitboxes on the road (when I say shit boxes I reffer to most Commodores on the road) if these RWD Commodore shit boxes are ment to be "sports" cars they handle like the bucket of shit most of them are! the SS Commodore is a very over rated car in my book! very dissapointed
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 30 September 2004 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon we go through the hills in your mates V6 camry and ill drive my Mates VT Commodore and you will dissapear within ten corners Very Happy
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Fri, 01 October 2004 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
god this must be a thread record!

i have both fwd and rwd and use a awd and they all have there good points. fwd!fantastic for braking. rwd! better out of a corner and better weight split for balance. awd! good braking, good out of a corner but heavy and needs more money spent on them to make them competetive.
mick
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sat, 02 October 2004 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Thu, 30 September 2004 16:59

I reckon we go through the hills in your mates V6 camry and ill drive my Mates VT Commodore and you will dissapear within ten corners Very Happy

is it V6,supercharge V6 or V8? if V6 we should go on a very long straight and you can have front seats to watching a Camry pull away from a Commodore Razz

I was dissapointed with the SS I drove. It had the power yes but in terms of handling I preffer a FWD Celica anyday. Holden should just make the Commodore for what it does best a family car. leave the Sports thing to it's Monaro (does it handle well?) never driven a new Monaro

just my 2cents
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 03 October 2004 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mick wrote on Sun, 03 October 2004 08:14

is it V6,supercharge V6 or V8? if V6 we should go on a very long straight and you can have front seats to watching a Camry pull away from a Commodore Razz

I was dissapointed with the SS I drove. It had the power yes but in terms of handling I preffer a FWD Celica anyday. Holden should just make the Commodore for what it does best a family car. leave the Sports thing to it's Monaro (does it handle well?) never driven a new Monaro

just my 2cents

It is a stock V6, bone stock...Thats how much confidence I have in the V6 camry Razz, I have driven the sportivo model and it understeered like a mofo.

As much as people say it doesnt, the CV8 handles like an SS...However I wouldnt mind having a go at one of these 4WD monaros with their 65% rear bias, that would be sweet Very Happy
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 03 October 2004 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holdens handle fairly well, but this is more a result of mechanical grip than an inherent handling balance. They lean on the outside front wheel when cornering hard and quickly wear down the edges of the tyres. However they hold far more speed across the face of a corner than a falcon or camry for that matter could ever dream of and thus produce reasonable times on race tracks. This is why when tested by motor an SV8 40K poverty pack v8 can lap most tracks, faster than even a GT.
So to answer your question the commodore will rip the shit out of your camry even if it doesn't feel that way.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 03 October 2004 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Sun, 03 October 2004 15:04

Holdens handle fairly well, but this is more a result of mechanical grip than an inherent handling balance. They lean on the outside front wheel when cornering hard and quickly wear down the edges of the tyres. However they hold far more speed across the face of a corner than a falcon or camry for that matter could ever dream of and thus produce reasonable times on race tracks. This is why when tested by motor an SV8 40K poverty pack v8 can lap most tracks, faster than even a GT.
So to answer your question the commodore will rip the shit out of your camry even if it doesn't feel that way.

were talking about V6's here not V8's
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 03 October 2004 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mick wrote on Sun, 03 October 2004 16:41

It will still smoke your Camry through twisties and straights...
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 03 October 2004 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Sun, 03 October 2004 10:31

mick wrote on Sun, 03 October 2004 08:14

just my 2cents

It is a stock V6, bone stock...Thats how much confidence I have in the V6 camry Razz, I have driven the sportivo model and it understeered like a mofo.

As much as people say it doesnt, the CV8 handles like an SS...However I wouldnt mind having a go at one of these 4WD monaros with their 65% rear bias, that would be sweet Very Happy

Camry would beat it on a straight, Cornering may or may not. be interesting to find out but Very Happy
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 03 October 2004 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Sun, 03 October 2004 17:23

fuck off it would V6 Commodores are the slowest heaps of shit especally with an auto so your telling me a stocko V6 Commodore can do 0-100km/h in less then 8 seconds I can't see it sorry a V6 Camry is quicker than a standard VT V6.

all I have to say is Take it home Razz
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 03 October 2004 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mick wrote on Sun, 03 October 2004 17:00

fuck off it would V6 Commodores are the slowest heaps of shit especally with an auto so your telling me a stocko V6 Commodore can do 0-100km/h in less then 8 seconds I can't see it sorry a V6 Camry is quicker than a standard VT V6.

Put the crack pipe down mick, I hate commo's as much as the next person with any decent taste in cars but I hate camry's more...

The commodore would kill the camry through the twisties and it would smoke it through the straights.

End Of S-T-0-R-Y!!!
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 04 October 2004 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Sun, 03 October 2004 17:44

mick wrote on Sun, 03 October 2004 17:00

Put the crack pipe down mick, I hate commo's as much as the next person with any decent taste in cars but I hate camry's more...

The commodore would kill the camry through the twisties and it would smoke it through the straights.

End Of S-T-0-R-Y!!!

no the Camry would pissball the Commodore on a straight I have driven BOTH VT Commodore V6 and Camry V6 and find the Camry V6 is Quicker!! even in manual form I can't see a Commodore V6 beating a manual V6 Camry. you may want to the V6 to be that new alloytec190 motor to beat it but would laugh if the Camry V6 could be that as well.

I hate the Holden Commodore because just about every time a mate offerers have a drive to me I am usally dissapointed, though would make a nice family car. can not see the point in the SS model though? Maybe this should be Holdens boat and Caravan puller?
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 04 October 2004 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hang on a sec, which V6 camry are we talking about here?

if its the later model sportivos, then that should beat a stock V6 commodore in a straight line, provided the camry is manual. There wouldnt be much in it tho. And if the commodore is the new 190 model, forget it the camry is beaten already.

as for corners - i dont like the handling on the commodore, but my mum has a camry and i know first hand of its crapness, that thing is dangerous when put into a corner hard! Razz

Bottom line? They are both crap cars, lets stop wasting time talking about this, and spend more time thinking about REAL performance Wink

[Updated on: Mon, 04 October 2004 01:40]

Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 04 October 2004 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i would tend to say both are gay.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 04 October 2004 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the handling of a V6 commodore should be even better than the V8 due to less weight over the front wheels, and manual on manual the commodore will win my mum has a manual v6 camry touring and it is quite gutless unless above 4k rpm, thus when going through twisties a commodore with low down torque will kill it for power down out of the corner, let alone the fact that you will be able to put the power down earlier as it is rear wheel drive. I reckon my corona would beat the camry through twisties as it has great low down response just what you need for coming out of a hairpin, also when push through corners the camry has a habit of starting to spin up the inside wheel, now this is one with stiffer suspension let alone your rolly polly standard job. I learnt to drive on a 4cyl camry and let me tell you body roll is your friend, stop kidding yourself nomatter how much you hate it the commodore will beat a camry end.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 04 October 2004 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dammit arch you beat me too it, I was sick of this argument anyway becuase I know my soarer would whup them both into next week Very Happy
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 04 October 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Mon, 04 October 2004 16:42

the handling of a V6 commodore should be even better than the V8 due to less weight over the front wheels, and manual on manual the commodore will win my mum has a manual v6 camry touring and it is quite gutless unless above 4k rpm, thus when going through twisties a commodore with low down torque will kill it for power down out of the corner, let alone the fact that you will be able to put the power down earlier as it is rear wheel drive. I reckon my corona would beat the camry through twisties as it has great low down response just what you need for coming out of a hairpin, also when push through corners the camry has a habit of starting to spin up the inside wheel, now this is one with stiffer suspension let alone your rolly polly standard job. I learnt to drive on a 4cyl camry and let me tell you body roll is your friend, stop kidding yourself nomatter how much you hate it the commodore will beat a camry end.

Corona my SV21 Camry would more than likely beat your Corona you don't really know do you. front wheel drive is usually quicker of the mark (if you know how to use a clutch properly and don't have 300hp at the wheels) due to the fact it will get a power to the ground better then rwd that is why a fwd is better of the mark then a rwd when not much power is involved (both Commodore and Camry are NOT sports or drag cars). I forgot your Corona can pull away from a WRX while doing 80km/h in 5th?(dream on).I'd like to see this Corona in action I bet it would be lucky to do 100mph on a good day oh and the V6 Camry would win GO OUT AND DRIVE A COMMODORE BEFORE SPEAKING!!! I also drive something with great response down low as well,you seem to brag about reving motors out the V6 Camry motor does not need to be reved hard for it to move as it has good torque and it is torque that will win you races NOT power! besides if a car is so quick you should not need to rev a motor right out,why do you think car manufactures put rev limiters in there cars for? so people like you don't fuck there cars up maybe??? I can handle a front wheel drive pretty well now that I am used to it. all cars are different and have to be driven differently.

The Camry in question is a 1999 V6 CSi 5 speed manual with the same 3L V6 found in the sportivos and newer Camrys the V6 Camry has come along way from what it was. I will prove it to you if I have too that a V6 Camry with a 5-spd manual from 1997 onwards is quicker then a VT V6 Commodore (even in manual form)

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 04 October 2004 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I drive a 2002 manual Camry Touring manual so I think I can say my judgement is just as valid as yours. The point is that no matter how much you hate it the camry can simply not pull the same speed aroun a corner than a commodore, this means even if the camry is quicker down the straight which I doubt in roll on acceleration as the engine only seems to pull well above 4K, the commodore is already going faster and thus with it's ability to get the power on earlier out of the corner will snap it on the straight too.

As for the Sv21 beating my corona not likely, my friend who is soon tyo get his P's has one and if I must I will race him and kick his arse personally for you, remember I have cubes on my side your measily 2 opr 2.2 litre is no match for the 2.4 in a lighter body shell. My driving instucters car was a 2.2 litre camry ands lets just say its performance such balls.

As for the claim that front wheel drives are fats off the line I beg to differ in terms of the camry, there is no way too launch the thing without some degree of wheel spin. Moderate launch say 1500, away cleanly hit the accelerator 4K comes up at about 40kmph and the thing just spins like buggery. Fast release at say 3000 and the thing just sits smoking the wheels up. The only choice is to short shift to second but then it bogs down until you hit 4krpm at aroun 60 so the games already over.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 05 October 2004 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2002 V6 Camry: 0-100 9.0secs
2004 V6 Camry: 0-100 9.5secs
2004 V6 Commodore: 0-100 6.9secs

Looks like teh seat-of-teh-pantz dyno iz NOT fully sik!!

The 190kw commodes are generally very responsive to inputs, easily adjusting their line mid-corner. Especially with the calais suspension pack. The V8s aren't much heavier in the nose (pushrod construction being lighter than DOHC), and have enuff grunt to let the throttle do most of the talkin.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 05 October 2004 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i DONT think they are talking the Hfv6 just the old Ecotec V6, which still had 152Kw and 305Nm, compared to the camry 141-145Kw and 279Nm of torque.
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 05 October 2004 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Horses for courses.

Give me a Camry (4 or V6) over any Commodore

Commodore might be faster but it doesn't change the fact that they are CRAP.
Even the latest models !

End of STORY !

[Updated on: Tue, 05 October 2004 21:55]

st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 05 October 2004 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDCelica wrote on Wed, 06 October 2004 07:54

Horses for courses.

Give me a Camry (4 or V6) over any Commodore

Commodore might be faster but it doesn't change the fact that they are CRAP.
Even the latest models !

End of STORY !

Nice argument for your case. Very convincing.

In fact, you've won me over: I'm off to buy a Camry right now. . . Rolling Eyes

Seriously though - Love the Camry build quality, hate every other boring aspect of the Granny-mover. And yes, I have driven a couple of late-model V6 Camrys. Haven't current Toyota engineers heard about feedback and driver-involvement? Talk about soulless... . .
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 05 October 2004 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about that new commodore? sv6 or wat ever... 190kws or what not Shocked
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 06 October 2004 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Wed, 06 October 2004 08:42

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 06 October 2004 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I suprised more people dont die in camries they are that boring there drivers must fall asleep at the wheel. Honest when we first got ours you couldn't tell whether you had stalled it or not as you couldn't hear then engine, a quick look at the tacho and all was good. The acceleartor is like a lump of wood no matter how much you push it not much happens. The brakes lack feel and the abs triggers early tugging on the steering wheel and the clutch hard initially and then you almost send it flying through the firewall, no steering feedback, god thank that we have a sports model that does not exhibit tendancy to scrape the doors sills on the road as you go around a corner.
Whitegoods on wheels I say.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 06 October 2004 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about excels? i mean i c em around alot now, every one seems to have one now (guy or girl or fully sick guy/girl).... (northen suburbs) Confused

[Updated on: Wed, 06 October 2004 07:06]

FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 06 October 2004 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Wed, 06 October 2004 09:12

Glad to see you come to your senses!

Get out of that gay ass ST184(with Camry motor) Laughing Laughing Laughing

ST162s + ZZE122/3 rule ! and they're FWD !

[Updated on: Wed, 06 October 2004 07:59]

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 06 October 2004 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Glad to see you come to your senses!

Get out of that gay ass ST184(with Camry motor)

ST162s + ZZE122/3 rule ! and they're

lol hahahah Laughing Laughing

touché!

w3rd
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 06 October 2004 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Hahaha - thanks, that's really funny actually Razz

Sportivo Camry is worth about 8.4seconds to 100km/h as well mind you. Definitely not 9.5 or whatever.
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 06 October 2004 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thought i'd just add my opinion... as mentioned by soo many people. each to their own.. i've driven a fwd ae92 sedan corolla for about 6 months and that thing was the most fun i've had in a while.. gutless in some ways but FUN... now i've got a st162 celica sx. and my next car will most likely be another st162 sx for a track and keep mine as well as the daily... I work at toyota as a detailer so i've had quite a few drives of the camrys, they are 1000 times more smooth than the commodores...
We've got a VT commodore as the family car and i hate driving it... feels sooo rough, transmission are rough...

I wouldn't buy a commodore EVER....
I look at my st162, and then look at the VLs going around which are falling apart..... st162 build quality is better than the VNs personally...

I'd get a sv21 over a vl/vn/vr/vs commodore anyday, who needs that much torque seriously, all they can do is burnouts Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I'm quite comfortable with the feel of FWD, and due to this i feel pretty unbalanced driving a rwd, just due to the rear being quite unsteady, i know the fwds will understeer but its just nice when u got a nice feel for the car and u can just boot it around a corner, not worrying about being tail happy with the power on.. i'll happily race a fwd...

Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 07 October 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for posting a sane reply, although i'll admit my camry wasn't good for pushing through the "twisties", in comparison to my friends VN Commodore it was that much more smoother and more reliable then the big aussie 6. So before you start baging the Camry again corona, remember what they were designed for, and in my opinion the Camry serves this role much better than most commodores do.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 12 October 2004 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camry_omega wrote on Thu, 07 October 2004 17:27

Thank you for posting a sane reply, although i'll admit my camry wasn't good for pushing through the "twisties", in comparison to my friends VN Commodore it was that much more smoother and more reliable then the big aussie 6. So before you start baging the Camry again corona, remember what they were designed for, and in my opinion the Camry serves this role much better than most commodores do.

Fer shure, a Camry does what it was designed for very well. They rarely break-down, are very sensible, and are predictably boring. Ace for your Grandmama to get to the shops and back in.

I just don't want to have an uninvolved, eventless, uninspiring and completely characterless drive to the shops and back. I prefer to ENJOY my driving.
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 12 October 2004 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, but the comparison of a camry to a commodore on terms of performance seems a bit redundant thats all.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 13 October 2004 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I know. 'twas Mick who started making performance clims about the Camry vs. Commodore thing. The VX ecotec ran 0-100 in 9.0secs flat. Not sure if that number is auto or manual.

So make that list:
2001 V6 Commodore: 0-100 9.0secs

hmmmm.... interesting trend there... . . .
Mick wrote:

1GGTE wrote:

mick wrote on Mon, 04 October 2004 10:04

End Of S-T-0-R-Y!!!

no the Camry would pissball the Commodore on a straight I have driven BOTH VT Commodore V6 and Camry V6 and find the Camry V6 is Quicker!! even in manual form I can't see a Commodore V6 beating a manual V6 Camry. you may want to the V6 to be that new alloytec190 motor to beat it but would laugh if the Camry V6 could be that as well.

I hate the Holden Commodore because just about every time a mate offerers have a drive to me I am usally dissapointed, though would make a nice family car. can not see the point in the SS model though? Maybe this should be Holdens boat and Caravan puller?

Perhaps people aren't dissapointed when they drive a Camry, because they EXPECT it to be slow and lifeless.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 October 2004 01:09]

mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 14 October 2004 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Wed, 13 October 2004 11:06

Yeah, I know. 'twas Mick who started making performance clims about the Camry vs. Commodore thing. The VX ecotec ran 0-100 in 9.0secs flat. Not sure if that number is auto or manual.

So make that list:
2001 V6 Commodore: 0-100 9.0secs

hmmmm.... interesting trend there... . . .
Mick wrote:

1GGTE wrote:

mick wrote on Mon, 04 October 2004 10:04

End Of S-T-0-R-Y!!!

Perhaps people aren't dissapointed when they drive a Camry, because they EXPECT it to be slow and lifeless.

or perhaps they drive a Camry because they know how shitty the Australian Commonwhore is. I mean look at the VN now there not exactly Holdens most reliable car now are they?

and you will find we are Comparing the 99 Camry to the VT Commodore. Can you read? obviously not.

performance figures for the 99 3L V6 are 0-100km/h 7.8sec I can beleve this as I drove a V6 Camry and have some one time and got 8 secs using a stop watch as for the V6 Commodore thing they never had an alloytec190 back in 1999. You might want to READ before posting.

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_conten t.research_specs?vehicle_code=20001005.10:25:18&am p;sort_type=&current_rec=8&make_name=TOYOT A&model_name=CAMRY&year_min=1997&year_ max=2002&cs_trans_id=2

oh look heres another mob who believe this too

If your getting 9 sec from a V6 Camry it's either you are driving one with an auto or you just can't drive.(points to sig)

If you hate front wheel drives so much why you own one? or maybe its because it's more reliable then the old 202?

and look at the link and you will find the previous model is slightly quicker but still even in the new Camry that motor will still piss all over an ecotec V6.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 14 October 2004 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 05 October 2004 12:32

i DONT think they are talking the Hfv6 just the old Ecotec V6, which still had 152Kw and 305Nm, compared to the camry 141-145Kw and 279Nm of torque.

Isn't the Camry lighter as well?
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 14 October 2004 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/generations/article s/46002/article.html

more info
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 14 October 2004 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mick wrote on Thu, 14 October 2004 19:11

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/generations/article s/46002/article.html

more info

why is it some Australians like the Commodore?

It's australian, and some Australians brag about the Commodore a lot.

you do realise that when the Commodore first came out it wasn't as liked as much as the kingswood (wonder why?) Rolling Eyes look at car sales back in the 80's. my opinion is go the Falcon!!!! I'd buy one of these before a Commodore. the only decent one they had was the VL

oh and Americans have quicker cars then us so why are the so Impressed buy the Camry sillycar? why?
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 14 October 2004 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeez mick: if I'd known you'd get so worked up about my calling Camrys boring, I'd have done it a lot sooner!!! Laughing Laughing

Naah - just playin bro!

Like I said way earlier, I was lookin for a VR/S Commode when I was at de auctions, no manual RWD's worth looking at for two weeks, and since I hate Autos W A Y more than I hate FWD, I plumped for the Celica (at just over half its market value!!).

I also had a coupla V6 Eunos coupes and a tidy Mondeo on the short-list, as well as thinkin hard about a nice V8 Soarer, but the Sillycar came up first, and so cheap!! So that's why I drive the Celica, Mickey ol' pal.

Oh - and I'm very happy for you that some V6 Camrys can sprint hard in a straight line. Somehow though, I just can't seem to care!

Nice for you tho. Yawn
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 17 October 2004 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey I was only saying this because no one beleved me. Although I personally couldn't care less what wheels drove a car. they all have there uses. The Toyota Camry was never inteened to be a sports car I was only saying that it was quicker then a VT V6 in a straight line, Although I don't consider the Commodore as a sports car either. I like Camry because I find it's a very underrated car. were as I think the Commodore is a very over rated car. just look at the way people go on about it . the only reason people will come up with when I question people about why the Commodore is so good is "because it's Australian", Does this necercally mean that Holden is better? Confused
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 18 October 2004 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've often heard the Magna called "the poor mans Commodore" which to Me, is strange. Sure, the Magna is cheaper, but it's only $5,000 on the base models. Build quality on the various Magna/Verada models I've been in seems AT LEAST on a par with Aussie stuff, likewise the interior quality. The Camry, I'm sure you're aware is built at a generally higher standard than OZ stuff.

Like you say Mick, it's a perception thing amongst the market. That said, it's been the same story in Australia for 20 years, Falcon + Commode selling most of the family sedans, Toyota dominating with the Landcruiser and light commercials, and Mitsubishi generally stuffing about, not doing much of anything.

It's not the aussie publics fault that the Japanese manufacturers haven't caught on in TWENTY YEARS that most people who care in this market want RWD in their family sedans. Right or wrong in your eyes, that's just the way it is.

I happen to appreciate that this is the only country IN THE WORLD where largish, affordable RWD sedans have been the standard, and not the exception for the last 50 years (even if I've only been around for half of that). Even America, the home of the muscle car abandoned RWD in the late 80's. Bad for the yanks, good for power-oversteer luvvvin Aussies like Me.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 18 October 2004 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the pinnacle of handling, accel, and balance is the hovercraft... I have driven one for many years and find they have the best fore mid and aft conering capabilities out of all road going vehicles... of course I am 100% bullshitting...
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 19 October 2004 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
79rollaboy wrote on Mon, 18 October 2004 16:11

I think the pinnacle of handling, accel, and balance is the hovercraft... I have driven one for many years and find they have the best fore mid and aft conering capabilities out of all road going vehicles... of course I am 100% bullshitting...

Mate you're full of yourself. I've driven a 75hp 1978-spec CASE tractor with unbelievable turn-in, and power-down that'd leave your lame-O hovercraft wondering which day of the week it was. Ieeetz foollly seeek mayyyte. . . . Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 20 October 2004 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 06 October 2004 12:56

I suprised more people dont die in camries they are that boring there drivers must fall asleep at the wheel. Honest when we first got ours you couldn't tell whether you had stalled it or not as you couldn't hear then engine, a quick look at the tacho and all was good. The acceleartor is like a lump of wood no matter how much you push it not much happens. The brakes lack feel and the abs triggers early tugging on the steering wheel and the clutch hard initially and then you almost send it flying through the firewall, no steering feedback, god thank that we have a sports model that does not exhibit tendancy to scrape the doors sills on the road as you go around a corner.
Whitegoods on wheels I say.

http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/Results.aspx?Act ion=FilterSearch&Filter=drive%2Ffilter.hts& ;amp ;ResultTemplate=drive%2Fnews_results_new.hts&R esultErrorTemplate=drive%2Fserror.hts&Collecti on=drive2002_coll&ResultCount=20&SortSpec= Score+desc&page=http%3A%2F%2Fdrive.fairfax.com .au%2Fsearch%2Fdrive.vts&querytext=corona& go.x=15&go.y=11

I'd hold back that statement if I was you. read link "oh me, oh my, It's the Corona"

[Updated on: Wed, 20 October 2004 01:33]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 20 October 2004 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man this thread is funny as...how can people possibly defend commodores? It's hilarity Smile It really is!
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 20 October 2004 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's not so much the car I hate. I do think a Commodore would make a nice family car. It's just it's overrattednees (is this a word?) that annoys me about them, the way people act about them too, it just goes to far. for me to own one I would have to have a serious think and hope to god it hasn't had it guts flogged by a previous owner. It's like as if the majority (not all) of Commodore drivers seem to think there behind a wheel of a Ferrari or something.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 20 October 2004 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah but no where in that article do they refer to the 22re which has a lot more balls than the 2sc. rear wheel drive + live rear axle + lowdown torque = fun in dry and dangerous in wet. Ie hill start in wet at 1000rpm = car go abotu 2m forward slowly spinning wheels then stops in middle of roundabout ahhh. lutch back in stop spinning wheels clutch out trickling away again with the wheels still spinnig. NO matter what you do in my car in the wet you cant do hill starts, it just spins the wheels any less acceleration and it will stall. Even after new springs shocks and tyres it still does it not as bad but still not nice when you stop on a rounabout and cant do much to stop it happening, I'd hardly call that boring it keeps you on your feet as you have to be three steps ahead of the car otherwise it will btich slap you and hard
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 20 October 2004 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ho hum indeed, wow i never knew how average the coronas really were, i mean thats the first review i've read but certainly points out guite a few flaws.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 21 October 2004 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 20 October 2004 13:17

= fun in dry and dangerous in wet. Ie hill start in wet at 1000rpm = car go abotu 2m forward slowly spinning wheels then stops in middle of roundabout ahhh. lutch back in stop spinning wheels clutch out trickling away again with the wheels still spinnig. NO matter what you do in my car in the wet you cant do hill starts, it just spins the wheels any less acceleration and it will stall.

I had it just as bad in the old VH Commode with the "Legendary" Dunlop LeMans A4s on the rear. I worked those bitch tyres HARD for over a year, dishing out maximum punishment (without stopping for donuts, line-lockers etc) CONSTANTLY! I just couldn't kill those rock-hard bastards ! !

I finally got them down near the wear bars (they were at least 4yrs old when I got the car), and they were so useless in the wet, I found myself tip-toeing around in the wet at HALF the dry speed, and still sliding all over the place ! ! A fresh pair of $85/each sime-tyres (Don't ask where in asia they're made) fixed it right up.

May I suggest a set of wet-biased soft tyres for the corona?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 21 October 2004 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just git brand new re92 195/65/14 couple months ago they are much better than the goodyear I had before which were old hard and just didn't grip at all. The problem still persists though not as bad. NOt fun going around a roundabout at say 25 with a car next to you and the next thing you know the steerings light, atlest I get an indication now so I can get ready to catch it hit brakes whatever. Worst was just light rain goin slow round roundabout next thing you know the rear snaps and the things at like 70 degree angles from where I was pointing 4wd about to come on to roundabout as i past must of shit himself, somehow I caught it. The first time it happened although my uncle had warned me it scared me pretty bad, was going through a roundabout again this one although straight you have to come back a bit the tails starts to slide I correct slides out the other way, theres a car beside me going through the roundabout and somehow I managed to stay in my lane. The thing that shits me though if the cops had seen it happen cos they are regularly on the road they would prob try and book me for dangerous driving even though its just the car. I find its worst when going straight through rounabout as when you steer back the other way to come out it snaps out with the weight transfer. Turning right is not a problem and its easier to control then anyway.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 21 October 2004 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Geeeez dude: you know it needs more grip in the wet, and you still go out and buy RE-92's ? ? ? ? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

That's just asking for pain in the rain ! ! !
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 21 October 2004 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RE92 FREEDOM ROAD! Laughing Laughing
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 21 October 2004 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Since when to FWD cars get bagged out?
My friend's just like "get RWD baby, drift!"
but never once have i been dissed about owning a FWD car
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 21 October 2004 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thu187 wrote on Thu, 21 October 2004 18:45

Since when to FWD cars get bagged out?
My friend's just like "get RWD baby, drift!"
but never once have i been dissed about owning a FWD car

Listen to your friend. He is wise. Very Happy
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 21 October 2004 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
the raeson I got re92 is cos in a wheels test on a vy executive commodre they pulled .911g which was higher than any of the other tyres in their category and in the performance replacment, they also finsihed second in the comparo to Yokohama tyres which were more expenisve and my dad had had trouble with yokohama's that we had on our pajero, they were a soft compound and didn't last too long ie 20000km when the firestones not the bad ones that blow up lasted 3 times that long. There is also not a huge range of tyres for 195/65/14 and I needed to go this size as it is my maximum width two didn't have money for mags, and at this size my spedo is already out by 7 % any smaller like the pirelli p6000 I had on the front ie 195/60 /14 and the speedo would be out by more.
The p6000 came last in the testin although had great wet grip so I went with the re92, much better than teh old goodyears and have amazing grip in the dry just not wet, but since we were in a drought when I bought them it didnt seem to matter, between the suspoension mods etc it is alot better in the wet ie no more rounabout stunts just light steering then I know to back off and its ok only hillstarts still prob.
Pages (7): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Initial D Celica
Next Topic:AE86 imported for track/rally only? Approx cost?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 17:11:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010072946548462 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.