March 2004
Front wheel drives Sat, 19 June 2004 09:36 Go to next message
what have people have against front wheel drives? They all have there purposes
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Front wheel drives Sat, 19 June 2004 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, FWD's are practical in terms of packaging, that's what they were designed for...THAT's what people have against them. They aren't as well balanced, don't get their power down as well...the list goes on.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sat, 19 June 2004 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
r ok I have been reading alot about the subject latley on these forums thats why I posted about them. but still don't see why people should pick on them for I have owned both a rear wheel drive and front wheel drive and still don't see what people have against them but I found rear wheel drive tends to oversteer and front wheel drive tends to understeer but still each to their own I suppose it's easier to drift with a RWD then it is with FWD but still they have their purposes Smile
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Sat, 19 June 2004 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mick wrote on Sat, 19 June 2004 19:53

r ok I have been reading alot about the subject latley on these forums thats why I posted about them. but still don't see why people should pick on them for I have owned both a rear wheel drive and front wheel drive and still don't see what people have against them but I found rear wheel drive tends to oversteer and front wheel drive tends to understeer but still each to their own I suppose it's easier to drift with a RWD then it is with FWD but still they have their purposes Smile

My previous car was RWD, and my current is FWD, so I've owned both as well. I agree on the oversteer, but I havn't had my current car understeer at all yet. Even on bald tyres it never understeered. Seriously, they were actually bald, and driving in the dry was like having oil on the road. But it never understeered.

But with that said my next car will be either RWD (most likely because you can only get a soarer RWD), or AWD.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sat, 19 June 2004 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the understeer thing only happened because I wasn't used to it but now it is almost impossible for me to do now with my Camry it handles quiet well (probablly because I am now used to it) but as any car you get used to one and the others seem alien although what I would like to know is what makes people think rear wheel drive is supperior over front wheel drive? I don't see what makes them supperior over front wheel drive. my other car that I had was an WB Holden ute and that is a rear wheel drive car have driven plenty off rwd and fwd and 4wd and 1 awd but between front and rear don't really see the difference athough I reckon its harder to bog a front wheel drive but (my opinion) but maybe there was some other factor that as well that i don't know about

[Updated on: Sat, 19 June 2004 10:36]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Front wheel drives Sat, 19 June 2004 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's superior from a balance point of view, thats the main point. You can't really get a FWD car with 50/50 balance, they are always heavier over the front. Also, think about power down, when you accelerate, weight goes to the back of the car and the front lifts, now in a RWD car that means more grip is on the driving wheels and in a FWD car the exact opposite.

Most cars are set up to understeer to some extent, if you can't get a FWD to understeer, you aren't driving hard enough.
nicked
Regular

I supported Toymods

September 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Sat, 19 June 2004 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isn't it pretty simple?..
When you accelerate, the car 'squats', ie the front lifts and the back drops. If the rear wheels are doing the driving, that means more weight rests on them, so they get better grip. If the front wheels are driving, less weight on them, less grip right when you want it.
In cornering, you've got the fronts trying to turn and drive, which means less grip is available for each function.
We're all here because we like cars right? So performance matters more than rear seat leg room or whatever else you gain from FWD.
Therefore, people here bag FWD cars, for the 2 reasons above.

edit:hmmm, started typing that before that JCMF reply was there.. uh 'what he said' Embarassed

[Updated on: Sat, 19 June 2004 11:36]

Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Sat, 19 June 2004 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Sat, 19 June 2004 21:23

It's superior from a balance point of view, thats the main point. You can't really get a FWD car with 50/50 balance, they are always heavier over the front. Also, think about power down, when you accelerate, weight goes to the back of the car and the front lifts, now in a RWD car that means more grip is on the driving wheels and in a FWD car the exact opposite.

Most cars are set up to understeer to some extent, if you can't get a FWD to understeer, you aren't driving hard enough.

Err, that's all well and good, but I already know that and didn't say otherwise. BTW, a RWD typically has the engine at the front too. Wink And I wouldn't say more grip is on the driving wheels as grip is relative to the rubber you have on. Wink More downforce is more like it.

As for driving hard enough, what's the point of understeering the car into a gutter if I don't have to? Maybe it'll extend my E-penis, but that's about it. Some of us actually know how to take a corner which seems to be a mystery to some for some reason..... Wink Razz
nicked
Regular

I supported Toymods

September 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Sat, 19 June 2004 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apollo wrote on Sat, 19 June 2004 22:19

justcallmefrank wrote on Sat, 19 June 2004 21:23

Err, that's all well and good, but I already know that and didn't say otherwise. BTW, a RWD typically has the engine at the front too. Wink And I wouldn't say more grip is on the driving wheels as grip is relative to the rubber you have on. Wink More downforce is more like it.

As for driving hard enough, what's the point of understeering the car into a gutter if I don't have to?
Maybe it'll extend my E-penis, but that's about it. Some of us actually know how to take a corner which seems to be a mystery to some for some reason..... Wink Razz

Yeah, but not the driveshaft, diff or gearbox neccesarily.

Surely you assume you have the same rubber in each situation.

Downforce is an aerodynamic force that you wouldn't notice until seriously high speeds - and doesnt exist in a camry (or apollo).

You're right, no point - you could have just bought a RWD car Very Happy You might know how to take a corner better than anyone, but you're still handicapping yourself driving a FWD car.
strober
Regular

June 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Sat, 19 June 2004 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, i don't like being bagged out for owning a fwd but you get used to it...
i've understeered it on many occassions and its hard to get a good launch from stop.
although lacking in the sports dept it makes me plenty happy

mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sat, 19 June 2004 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why doesn't it exist in a camry/apollo? the front ends got a round shape to them so it would be designed to go through the wind better then me holden ute was. i though that had something to do with it? is it because of lack of spoilers or something?
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sat, 19 June 2004 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't reckon a FWD's slower off the mark then a RWD I have seen plenty of FWD give a good hiding to a RWD my Camry has piss balled a few RWD cars the only dissadvantage I see is with a FWD is doing a FWD up for drag purposes as the extra power going to the front wheels would make it go through tyres something chronic
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Sat, 19 June 2004 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

We're all here because we like cars right? So performance matters more than rear seat leg room or whatever else you gain from FWD.

lol, which makes it interesting that people in RWDs feel free to bag the FWD cars around them when often times the FWD car may out perform their own car, it just doens't live up to the "man's car" RWD stigma for the most part.

The difference is mostly apparent in higher - end perfomance applications

if you have a FWD and haven't encountered understeer yet, just dont' brake for a corner, then you will Very Happy don't sue me ok..

personally, if I had 5k to spend, a fwd celica is much better value than a 4ac sprinter

*flame suit on* Wink Razz

Anyways haven't we had this convo a million times? Smile

[Updated on: Sat, 19 June 2004 14:39]

mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sat, 19 June 2004 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Sun, 20 June 2004 00:38

Quote:

lol, which makes it interesting that people in RWDs feel free to bag the FWD cars around them when often times the FWD car may out perform their own car, it just doens't live up to the "man's car" RWD stigma for the most part.

The difference is mostly apparent in higher - end perfomance applications

if you have a FWD and haven't encountered understeer yet, just dont' brake for a corner, then you will Very Happy don't sue me ok..

personally, if I had 5k to spend, a fwd celica is much better value than a 4ac sprinter

*flame suit on* Wink Razz

Anyways haven't we had this convo a million times? Smile

sorry Rob didn't realize Smile I'd agree with you on the fwd Celica thing i don't consider a Toyota Celica slow by all means I'd rather spend money on a FWD Celica then a 4ac Sprinter it would make more sense Smile
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Sat, 19 June 2004 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you haven't experienced understeer then you don't drive hard enough. I must admit with my new tires on the Lancer it is hard to get any decent understeer in the dry. However, in the wet it's understeer city. When taking a corner from stopped, just rev it up and side step the clutch. It will understeer like crazy.

If you don't plan on towing a heavy trailer, or driving hard, then FWD is a better package. It's easier to drive, more economical, and more common.

Apollo, if the road was "like oil" then you would have understeered unless you drive like my mother. No offence, but do you know what understeer is?
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sat, 19 June 2004 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes and its very easy to oversteer a rear wheel drive in the wet too my WB ute near took out a Starlet because of that as the back wheels lost traction as I took off driving very sensably must a hit an oil patch on the road or something?
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Sat, 19 June 2004 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, drove a MA61 recently. The back end came out in the wet realy easily. Was amazed! The back end came out more easily than the front end comes out on my Lancer. Very Happy
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 20 June 2004 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if ur sensible and know ur car and know how to drive it, u can go fast!an arguement in favour for fwd
:my friend does amauture racing a winton,phillip island etc he drives an import 86 crx.he overtakes/outperforms wrx's in the cornering. his car is N/A and has plastic and fibre glass panels/ very light!
his car is very well balanced.
As for my celica understeer in the wet is a massive issue, u just have to know ur limits.u have to be dumb to drive hard on any wet road in any car.
Rolling Eyes
last nite my friend could barely keep is r33 turbo from spinning and my other mate has got his awd liberty rs (sti swap) sideways so many times.

And as for cornering my fwd celica is very good.down warrandyte/ringwood rds, can get from templestowe to ringwood east in 3min 20 secs Laughing
NeiGH
Newcomer

April 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 20 June 2004 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mick, I have nothing against you or you point of view. However, I am at a loss as to why you are unable to employ the use of a period. A period (".") is an invaluable part of the english language and deserves your respect, admiration and at the very least, use. At this point in time I would like you to see the following educational comics...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2002-10 -11&res=l
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2003-07 -07&res=l

I can only hope that you and everyone like you can learn to appreciate that not everyone likes to read an entire paragraph without stopping to breathe. I don't mean to sound ungrateful or aggressive, but can you promise me you will try not to display the grasp of the english language akin any six year old.

Your pal.

[Updated on: Sun, 20 June 2004 05:52]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 20 June 2004 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDs are great!

For getting to the shops and back.
hehehe hehehe hehehe hehehe hehehe
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 20 June 2004 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My problem with fwd is that it doesn't hand 250kw too well. That's when you really notice the extra grip rwd tends to offer. For lower power loads, sure fwd is the better option! Lighter, less drive train losses, less oversteer (booo)
venzy
Regular

May 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 20 June 2004 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my reasons for like rwd more than fwd are as follows.

I have a fwd ae82, 4ac...take a corner fast with some gas and it understeers like a bitch, i would much rather that be oversteer.

When i finally get my new car, i want something that can get alot of power to the ground, with minimal wheel spin. I can get my 4ac to wheel spin right through 1st for christs sake, with only 75hp or whatever is it. Although this is would be changed greatly with wider rims, i still feel that rwd cars are much better off the line than fwd cars.

Ultimately i want a car which probably can make a 12sec 1/4 mile, so im talking about quite decent power figure, fwd just cant compare to rwd when you are talking about higher powered cars.

For everyday driving, fine fwd all the way, but thats not what i want.
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 20 June 2004 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Sun, 20 June 2004 17:12

My problem with fwd is that it doesn't hand 250kw too well. That's when you really notice the extra grip rwd tends to offer. For lower power loads, sure fwd is the better option! Lighter, less drive train losses, less oversteer (booo)

lucky that the majority of us don't have daily drivers with over 250kw, let alone own a car with that much power Very Happy
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 20 June 2004 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well my daily diver does Very Happy
hence rwd being a necessity
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 20 June 2004 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But Draven ur special and hence therefore an exception.

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 20 June 2004 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aawww, I wuv you draza
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 20 June 2004 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Considering my nick I guess I'm supposed to say something here? For starters, I think FWD is good from a engineering perspective because it can be readily adapted to a 4WD platform (not to say a rear wheel drive platform can't be).

Secondly, there is nothing different about the mid corner speed of any well set-up car regardless of it's method of drive. As for the whole '50/50' balance not being possible, that is bollocks - it's just not practical, you could easily get a 50/50 weight distribution with any type of car. If you do have the extra weight over the fronts - how do you think that helps with braking for example, where the front wheels generally do 70% of the work? What good is the weight in the rear then (we are talking about race-set ups here).

Having dispelled that 'myth' of the disadvantages of FWD...I will now spell out the main problem...

On of the problems with FWD is that when exiting a corner, it has issues with asking too much of the front end if the driver isn't too subtle. Having said that, a rear wheel drive car also has issues because the direction of the torque being applied to the road is at an angle to the direction of the force the front tyres are applying.

Generally speaking, around a circuit, there is not much separating a front and rear wheel drive. That is not to say that the front wheel drive is better though, generally it is *very* hard to get a front wheel drive to use all four corners effectively and like everything else, it is a bit of a compromise. Rear wheel drive likewise, although it tends to use all of it's rubber much better.

As the power rises, it gets harder and harder to use a front wheel drive out of a corner, simply because the car is really only using the front rubber to exit the corner rather than spreading the load around. Everywhere else the FWD can be as good or better than the RWD.

Yes RWD is slightly better for racing, but FWD isn't evil either - people are just too stupid to bother learning to drive well.

The simple answer is
4 wheel drive > 2 wheel drive

If you want to drive a AWD car well, get some time in a FWD car!
commander
Regular

January 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 20 June 2004 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my beef with them is
i can get them for $70
they take a couple hours to change out,
and are way too plentiful.
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 20 June 2004 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have never really thrashed a FWD before but since starting my new patrol job with chubb if I wanna get my run done in time I have to. and god damn is it scary when you feel the arse end slide out around the round about at 60ks Shocked
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 21 June 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well what about the old Mini Cooper S, still see these flogging the crap out many RWD Cars out on the track even today... look, I have no bias for Rwd,Fwd or AWD. All have there advantage, all need to be driven differently.... Besides explain how a Nissan Sunny GTI (known as a hatch back Pulsar) FWD PRC3 flog a heap of Evo and WRXs at last weeks Bega Rally?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 21 June 2004 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Besides explain how a Nissan Sunny GTI (known as a hatch back Pulsar) FWD PRC3 flog a heap of Evo and WRXs at last weeks Bega Rally?
The fact that rich people aren't necessarily better drivers

Smile

Quote:

I disagree with that last statement btw - if you are understeering badly with a FWD - you are probably doing something wrong - see my avatar for example - that is *hard* driving and it definitely wasn't understeering and that's an ST162 (yet to get my mitts on the 165, but it's coming).

Fact of the matter is, you can get a RWD to understeer REALLY badly, just go into a corner too hot and you'll see.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 21 June 2004 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NeiGH wrote on Sun, 20 June 2004 15:50

mick, I have nothing against you or you point of view. However, I am at a loss as to why you are unable to employ the use of a period. A period (".") is an invaluable part of the english language and deserves your respect, admiration and at the very least, use. At this point in time I would like you to see the following educational comics...

I can only hope that you and everyone like you can learn to appreciate that not everyone likes to read an entire paragraph without stopping to breathe. I don't mean to sound ungrateful or aggressive, but can you promise me you will try not to display the grasp of the english language akin any six year old.

Your pal.

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=35566&start=0&rid=5233&S=ab47bee065a 1980c4fc372d36b7f8b6f

and you call that punctuation Razz so how was your weekend? mine was good who else here had a good weekend got drunk Saturday who else did? so your my pal huh? who is this? looks like i made a new friend Very Happy
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 21 June 2004 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johnny wrote on Mon, 21 June 2004 11:09

Well what about the old Mini Cooper S, still see these flogging the crap out many RWD Cars out on the track even today... look, I have no bias for Rwd,Fwd or AWD. All have there advantage, all need to be driven differently.... Besides explain how a Nissan Sunny GTI (known as a hatch back Pulsar) FWD PRC3 flog a heap of Evo and WRXs at last weeks Bega Rally?

Good Point mate totally agree
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 21 June 2004 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NeiGH wrote on Sun, 20 June 2004 15:50

Your pal.

BAAAAAhahaha!!!! Golden!!

And damn true! Very Happy
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 21 June 2004 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bah i drive a Camry and its easy to get it to understeer, first time i did it in the wet, i pushed it hard coming out of a corner, then was horrorfied as the car became unresponsive and drifted towards the outside edge, this was only to be toped by the further terror when the car did respond and i headed towards the inside, all this amplified by the boat-like qualities of a camry.
The are some good FWD cars out there, alfa romeos, Honda Integras and of course the later model celicas. But mostly FWD cars make good passenger cars, not sports cars.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 21 June 2004 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Id like to enter my 2c..
i cant stand driving fwd cause you can induce hopping very easily on hard conering.. power is harder to get to the ground.. my mums magna even spins the wheels with crap all effort..
now having as much power as my car does.. i couldnt ever image having it in a FWD(that was also made to handle).. or it would be hop city
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 21 June 2004 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camry_omega wrote on Mon, 21 June 2004 18:47

Bah i drive a Camry and its easy to get it to understeer, first time i did it in the wet, i pushed it hard coming out of a corner, then was horrorfied as the car became unresponsive and drifted towards the outside edge, this was only to be toped by the further terror when the car did respond and i headed towards the inside, all this amplified by the boat-like qualities of a camry.
The are some good FWD cars out there, alfa romeos, Honda Integras and of course the later model celicas. But mostly FWD cars make good passenger cars, not sports cars.

arghh true about the sports car thing. but it wasn't the camrys fault you lost it in the wet having rear wheel drive doesn't solve that at all you will find it will over steer, rear wheel drive doesn't necersally mean you will have more control over a vehicle in the wet beither does front, they both have there disadvantages my Camry is not the best handler on the road by all means but I have driven worst and have also driven better no matter what sort of car it is there will always be better in someway but I think my camry handles well for what it is could be better but after driving worser handlers.I know theres no piont in changing (although have lost it once through my own stupidity) notice the word stupidity,I do know how you feel about the understeer though I found that was one of the first things I noticed in mine. but because I know what it can and can't do and I know what i can and can't do. I find it very easy to drive but compared to a WB ute it handles very well that is why I said it is almost impossible for me to under steer it as I know the possibility is always there of me loosing it although I don't want to its all about knowing the handling of your car not wether its rear or front wheel drive
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 21 June 2004 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you find that your FWD doesn't go fast enough - remove weight - don't add power, duh!

Razz

(bias)
The later model Celica's aren't that good - I always felt the FWD models got progressively worse...
(/bias)

What about the Lotus Elan, the second gen CRX (the first one that came out here), both are nice front drivers.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 21 June 2004 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aren't FWDs better on lose surface road? Something about pulling the car in the direction you need to go? AWD of course is best off road. However on road a AWD setup adds a lot of weight to the car, and doesn't always give you advantages over a RWD setup anyway.

You are limited with your engine choices in a FWD too. A good 4 cylinder is the best you can hope for. Can't fit inline 6s or V8s into them.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 21 June 2004 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
exactly ... front wheel drive just doesent have a place in any sort of sport..
it wins out in grocery runs and carting kids around..
but in any sort of sport there is always a lay out that beats it to the ground.
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 22 June 2004 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

The fact that rich people aren't necessarily better drivers

Setup of in this baby wasn't exactly cheap either ie worth just as much as the AWD boys.
I think the reason I'm hearing understeer..understeer and understeer is because most here are trying to drive a FWD car as a RWD. Again, different driving style are needed for each.... and AWD car is a mix of both worlds, they understeer to buggery and whip into oversteer, this is scary at first, but once use to it, well Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy . here a bit of driving technque in front wheel drives. Firstly you'll need to setup the corner otherwise you'll go of into the bush ie off balance the rear either by a small flick or left foot brake, keep the right planted, the bum comes around and your FWD is oversteering, not under!! Pulling you around.... should look like this...http://members.ozemail.com.au/~tazlk/25802a.jpg Can be done in a camry too as I use to have one from work
stuff it up and the car looks like this....
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~tazlk/damage2.jpg
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 22 June 2004 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I see where that guy went wrong - fastfours.com.au sticker... Very Happy
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 22 June 2004 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That image is offensivly large. Shrink it down. If you can't, email it to me and I'll shrink it for you.
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 22 June 2004 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

That image is offensivly large. Shrink it down. If you can't, email it to me and I'll shrink it for you.

sorry but that's off my website and it's only 1/4 the size there...don't know what happen here?
Quote:

fastfours.com.au sticker...

Yeah I know, It appear there when I left it at the Autosalon one year, just couldn't be bothered removing it in less destructive ways Laughing Laughing
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 22 June 2004 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it can happen in RWD too, Razz

http://members.optusnet.com.au/sun_moon_stars/Image7.jpg

Ben
AE86 Trueno 4AGE
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 22 June 2004 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey Ben,
What happened at bega? (That's what happen last year)
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 22 June 2004 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johnny, Bad luck i suppose, my EMS's built in igniter failed completely on the first stage of all places, ahh well, only consolation is the cars all but ready for the next rally,
dont know yet if it will be batemans bay or not, but definitely Premier state rally.

Ben.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 23 June 2004 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Righto Chaps:

FWD cars are made because it's cheap and easy. The front suspension, engine,
gearbox, subframe, steering, A/C etc. etc. can all be pre-assembled
away from the body, and just slotted in from beneath on the production line.

An equivelant RWD or 4WD car is faster everywhere, with the exception of Rally - where FWD can be driven at 8/10ths quickly without having to commit to corners. The extra weight over the driven wheels also helps traction on low-grip surfaces.
(Note: The Lancia Stratos and 037 Rally cars proved that Mid-engined RWD can work on the dirt, if driven with commitment)

-Notice how Ferrari and BMW have never waivered from RWD ?

That sorted, I have a FWD '90 Celica that OVERSTEERS

That's right - it only ever understeers on 100% throttle, over smooth, banked corners!!
Heller-scary in the wet, Surprised Heller-fun in the dry Very Happy

This is due to the 5th gen Celica's rear-steering tendencies (Dynamic toe-out),
AND The Eagle-F1's on the front Vs. Econo-rocks dragging along on the rear rims. Rolling Eyes
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 23 June 2004 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ferrari are straying from rwd?.... where?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 23 June 2004 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Wed, 23 June 2004 15:15

ferrari are straying from rwd?.... where?

He said they haven't.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 23 June 2004 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm.. must go back to grade 3 i think
missed the "never" part
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 23 June 2004 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

An equivelant RWD or 4WD car is faster everywhere

No it isn't... Razz

Depends how far you want to take the term 'equivalent'.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 23 June 2004 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the only place a little fwd is quick is through shopping center parking lots Razz lol
venzy
Regular

May 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 23 June 2004 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Wed, 23 June 2004 18:18

the only place a little fwd is quick is through shopping center parking lots Razz lol

agreed
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 23 June 2004 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Wed, 23 June 2004 18:18

and funny thing is you couldn't even handle a fwd at parking speeds Razz Laughing (jokin)

so whos bogged a rear wheel drive lately? I just think its funny how all these rwd owners seem rather insecuer about this subject so they bag fwds out. whats that? you got flogged by fwd. yeah thats ok there will always be something quicker. Twisted Evil you might say the same thing about me how i bag out commodores but hey I have given them good wraps but think there over rated due to drivers who believe there a fuckin Ferrari back too the subject both have there weakness I'm not really on anyside here but think its stupid how people bag them out so i think some of the rwd owners are insecure about there cars
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 23 June 2004 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just imagine though.. you could buy an celica sx st185? or a jza70.. seriously.. sround the same price.. which will you buy
or maybe compare a ma70 non turbo.. i know id take the rwd.. fwd always seem to have choppy unbalanced handling..
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 23 June 2004 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Wed, 23 June 2004 19:54

just imagine though.. you could buy an celica sx st185? or a jza70.. seriously.. sround the same price.. which will you buy
or maybe compare a ma70 non turbo.. i know id take the rwd.. fwd always seem to have choppy unbalanced handling..

I'd take the celica for two reasons. 1)cheaper to run and 2)LOOKS dont really like the looks of the supras before 1993? or when ever they came out, i find most of the time handling has to do with the driver you a probablly not used to it, you get to know the car after awhile and no what to expect. put me in another car and it would seem alien to me(fwd,rwd,4wd or awd) for a while until i got used to it. front wheel drives are alright to drive, its one thing to own a quicker car but its another to drive it rwd,fwd or even awd a fast car means shit if the driver doesn't know what hes doing. rwd does not give you ellte driving skills like some people seem to think on here
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 23 June 2004 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no, it doesent give you elitest driving skills.. but atleast if you do have said skills you have a machine to match
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 23 June 2004 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Wed, 23 June 2004 16:49

An equivelant RWD or 4WD car is faster everywhere,

thats were you are wrong because in a case of cars having less then 100kw the front wheel drive will usally come off best off the mark due to having the least amount of traction and will also usally have the highest top speed as well
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 23 June 2004 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
but who wants to drive a car with only 100kw.. let alone drag one? .. okay now im just being a prick Smile
Pages (7): [1  2  3  4  5  6  7  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Initial D Celica
Next Topic:AE86 imported for track/rally only? Approx cost?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:49:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.013507843017578 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.