Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Members Rides » RA25 GT2000 (1973 model)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
GT2000 for sale Wed, 22 September 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For more information and photographs, to visit my Web page has the following address:

http://pageperso.aol.fr/roucq/index.html

[Updated on: Thu, 07 October 2004 23:30]

Send a private message to this user    
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 22 September 2004 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

It looks like one sorry, rusted, corroded, sad-arsed GT. I think, unless you're desparate, it'd only be good for a few parts. Besides, it's LHD. Maybe suit the yanks.

At least it's not an RA25!

seeyuzz
river
RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
See what happens Wed, 22 September 2004 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Typical story of neglect it is what most guys do when they tire of their TOYS or pretend they can fix them. Thats how I get my 280Z's for $400 or sometimes for free.

maybe you would fancy this?

http://popularmechanics.com/automotive/sub_coll_vi ntage/1998/6/67_shelby_mustang/print.phtml

Besides 800 Euros, 2 grand to get it here it could be restored using Aussie bits.
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Fri, 24 September 2004 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An RA25 GT went to auction in Japan TODAY!

See link:

[url=http://www.j-spec.com.au/get.php?action=list&c ategory=%(1900-1989)&page=1[/url]

It would be interesting to see what it sold for.

Steve, Any further leads on the Corona SR5 hardtop in SA? Are you interested in it yourself? If not, can you please pass on any info you have so I can try and track it down?

Cheers.

[Updated on: Fri, 24 September 2004 10:08]

RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
Re: LHD 20R GT Corona. Fri, 24 September 2004 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I asked around amongst the sports car classic enthusiasts in Alice and have had no reply. Can't locate the girl (Rene Schoder) who left her husband. if I knew his name might be able to locate the property where the left hand drive car is stored (Clare Valley or Crystal Brook region I was told. Also asked a friend in Barossa Valley to ask around.

Crying or Very Sad

[Updated on: Fri, 24 September 2004 20:21]

bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Sat, 25 September 2004 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that!

I know a guy from the SA Mini Club in the Claire Valley, I will call him and get him to ask around too.

Funny thing, my wife actually showed some enthusiasm in coming with me to collect this car if it shows up. We toured that part of SA this time last year in the Caravan and she loved the area. So bonus points to me!

Cheers.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Mon, 27 September 2004 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Just got back from across the city a short while ago to get the rear sway bar fitted. The standard TA22 sway-bar needed to be modified 'cos of the larger diff on the RA25. Furthermore, they (that is K-Mac) don't make bolt-on sway bars that fir to the lower control arms of the suspension anymore.

I had an issue with them drilling into the chasis rail to attach the bar, but, as you know, there are various holes in these rails from manufacturing, and Kmac built a custom bar to fit around the diff and to use the existing holes - so no extra drilling was required.

So it's done! Car handles real nice now. It handled nice before, but the roll has been almost removed and she's rock steady. I love it.

The Soarer wheels will be here mid-week and the fender mirrors should only be a week away. It's all happening.

seeyuzz
river
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Mon, 27 September 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds great River. I don't see why Japan spec mirrors would not be legal. My 1965 Mini Traveller had the mirrors on the front guards like that from new. Without electrics on the Mini they are a pain to adjust. Sad

Good on you for not letting K-Mac drill the chassis. It sounds like they really looked after your car.

Have you guys seen the magazine "Japanese Restorer in Australia"? I happened across it by chance. It is published quarterly and is only available on eBay or via mail-order/subscription from the editor. It is not sold in the shops.

Jump on eBay and search for "Japanese Restorer" and it should show up. Note to Steve aka RT104GT - issue 8 features a 240Z! Cool

I have bought all eight issues and enjoyed it so much I decided to subscribe. Lots of mostly original Japanese classics. Well worth the read in my opinion.

Cheers.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Mon, 27 September 2004 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I think I'll be okay with the fender mirrors, especially as the car, as built, originally had them. I see old jalopies with the old mirrors and Lotus Super-7's and the like around. So, I think it's okay.

I'll check out the Japanese Restorer magazine, sounds like it could be very interesting. Any RA25's in there so far? If not, I may have to write them and show off the old girl.

Yeah, K-mac did a nice job and no drilling. Mind you, I hung around like a bad smell to make sure there were no shaningans Smile

All I need to do now is get the T18 (same as the GT wheels)wheels and have them cleaned up and ready to put on for original shows and stuff.

I've been repainting the black on the badges and mesh-vents where the paint had chipped or faded. It's looking good.

What I'm trying to figure out is if I need a full respray (ie cut back and full job) or, as the current paint is in very good nick, if I can jsut get a spray over the top or whatever.

seeyuzz
river
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Mon, 27 September 2004 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

No RA25s in there yet, but considering it is an Oz magazine and you may have the only RA25 in this country, that's not really surprising! Cool

If the Celica has not been resprayed before (ie: still original paint) and is in very good condition you will probably not need to go back to bare metal all over. But I would be surprised if there were not a few areas (eg: front valance below the bumper) that have stone chips and should be bare-metalled for best results.

If the car has been resprayed before once or twice the paint will be too thick, will chip easily and you may have problems with reaction with the old paint. Definitely go bare-matal in that case.

There's paint jobs that look good from 10 feet away for $1,000 and take one day, and at other end of the spectrum there's perfect paint jobs that win shows for $10,000 and take weeks. Both are achievable, you just have to decide how much time and/or money you want to spend on the old girl...

Cheers.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Fri, 01 October 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Got the "polished & painted" Soarer wheels on the old girl today. They came up fantastic and look really great on the car. I am most pleased, despite the cost of getting them done. Also, got some nice 205/55 tyres thrown on. Very nice.

If it wasn't pissing down with rain, I'd get some photos and show you - so, you'll have to wait.

seeyuzz
river
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 06 October 2004 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No pics with the new wheels yet? Cool
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 06 October 2004 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's how the old girl looked at Toyota Fest.

http://www.luc1d.net/other/toyotafest/IMG_3864.jpg
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 06 October 2004 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Thanks Joshstix, you beat me to it. Smile

Yeah, she scrubbed up alright I reckon. Can't wait for the fender mirrors to go on and a bit of paint touch-up and she'll be sweet. Oh, also got a lead on some GT wheels - I'll get them polished and painted up also and whack them on for shows where she needs to be original. But, for most part, I'll leave the current wheels on her, I think they look good. Hehehe.. but then again, I'm a tad biased! Smile

seeyuzz
river
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 06 October 2004 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[Scots accent] Those wheels look dead sexy! Laughing
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 06 October 2004 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Och McClint, ye never thought ye olde wheels would come up so grande, hey laddie! Smile

seeyuzz
river
RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Thu, 07 October 2004 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Last advice from Alice is that the LHD coupe has rotted out on a property at Crystal Brook SA for the past 17 years. Was registered NT 315-670 then registered again 521270 then expired and left to rot.
Girl says unrepeatable words and is never going back to her husbands porperty to recover the car, he got it as part of divorce settlement, guy went bankrupt when drought came. I could get an address but its 500 miles from her so over to you. Shielas name was Renae Shoda or some such derivative..

RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Thu, 07 October 2004 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wheels look like the swastika type used on the turbo zed. I will post photo of my mirrors and the wheels you may be interested in.

1/. Genuine Circa 1978 BWA Italian MAG alloy lightweight 5.5x14 ex my GT with original Toyota emblem.

http://members.datafast.net.au/~sg4/MODBWA.jpg

http://members.datafast.net.au/~sg4/BWAGT.jpg

Just need a tidy up

SOME OTHER 4 stud considerations.

$2000 OM16 SIMMONS
 http://members.datafast.net.au/~sg4/OM16.jpg

$3000 ANSEN USA 16x8
 http://members.datafast.net.au/~sg4/ANSEN.jpg

NISMO MK 2 14's

http://members.datafast.net.au/~sg4/S130MK2.jpg

AND YOU FENDER BENDER MIRRORS

http://members.datafast.net.au/~sg4/FENDER.jpg

You could have had these for free.

They dont take them off for no reason I think you will find they are grossly illegal and downright dangerous just like bonnet mascots .
You cant see jack shit from them and you will have a blind spot from cars passing in other lanes, why risk your beautiful celica?
You will need the electric adjusters or LONG ARMS Laughing
If you disembowel a pedestrian dont say you weren't warned..
Evil or Very Mad

[Updated on: Thu, 07 October 2004 23:36]

RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Thu, 07 October 2004 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hold the phone

T18's had 13 inch TA22GT wheels your RA25 had 14 inch GT wheels..

RE $5,000 paint jobs here are two

BEFORE
 http://members.datafast.net.au/~sg4/zedman.jpg

AFTER

http://members.datafast.net.au/~sg4/zedm.jpg

Insured at Shannons for $10,000

http://members.datafast.net.au/~sg4/280zx5.jpg

Insured for $5000 as its not yet Classic

sad thing is car is only insurable for the cost of the paint.

If you want a concourse winner like ZEDMAN you need to get down on your hands and knees and do the valnces pristine like.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 October 2004 23:47]

bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Thu, 07 October 2004 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RT104GT wrote on Fri, 08 October 2004 08:56

Last advice from Alice is that the LHD coupe has rotted out on a property at Crystal Brook SA for the past 17 years. Was registered NT 315-670 then registered again 521270 then expired and left to rot.
Girl says unrepeatable words and is never going back to her husbands porperty to recover the car, he got it as part of divorce settlement, guy went bankrupt when drought came. I could get an address but its 500 miles from her so over to you. Shielas name was Renae Shoda or some such derivative..

Thanks Steve.

Sounds like a sticky situation!

If the husband now has legal possession of the LHD Corona and is willing to sell, I'm still interested.

I've tried to trace the girl's name (or similar name) in NT and SA, but turned up nothing yet.

It would be great if you could get me an address for either party and I will see how far I get with enquiries. It seems a shame to just let it rot there. Sad

Send me the details via e-mail to b_nicho<at>yahoo.com.au

Thanks for chasing this up! Much appreciated!

RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
icon14.gif  Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Thu, 07 October 2004 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PS I also have some unused front springs for a Celica will check the tag and let you know if you are interested. I just moved out my Fairlady project so have room to walk the GT104 out into the sunlight for 1st time since 1994.. Very Happy
Bradelz
Regular

June 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Fri, 08 October 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
holy shit 1994? would'nt if of rusted?
brad
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Fri, 08 October 2004 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bradelz wrote on Fri, 08 October 2004 18:27

holy shit 1994? would'nt if of rusted?
brad

17 years = 1987, not 1994. Smile

Depends how it was stored. It is a dry area (that's why the farmer went bust!) Even if it was left outside the car may still be saveable. If it's seriously rusty, it's probably worth keeping for spares for when I eventually find a better one.

I've wanted one of these Corona Hardtops since I was eight - a neighbour of my Grandmother had one. That one was ex-South Africa and RHD. I last saw that one in Sydney in 1994 looking very sorry for itself, so it has probably been scrapped by now. Sad
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Fri, 08 October 2004 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Got the mirrors today. I checked them against the colour RA25 brochure I got and they're the same.

No adjustments on these babies - just a 5inch convex mirror so you can see everything. I'm sure it's gonna take some getting used to.

I won't be putting them on until I get another car - so the RA25 can be made back to spec and used for shows and the odd cruise.

I'm certain the RA25 uses the same running-gear as the TA22 and that includes 13inch rims, but I'll check up on that.

seeyuzz
river
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Fri, 08 October 2004 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Just went through the car manual and an old RA25 advertising brochure. Whilst it's all in Japanese, it has some english numbers and stuff in relevant places. The RA25 GT had 185/HR70 radial tyres on 13inch rims. Smile

So, the T18's are the go!

seeyuzz
river
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 13 October 2004 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds good River. Although I woud still show it with the Soarer wheels it has now - they're much nicer.

Update on the ex USA Corona Hardtop. VicRoads will happily register it LHD once it is over 30 years old without engineer's certificate if I can prove previous NT registration.

So I wrote an e-mail off to Motor Vehicle Registry in Darwin with the detials Steve provided to check the car's registration history. A lady rang me today, very helpful. NT plate 521-270 is registered to a prime mover. No record on the computer of the other number 315-670. Records prior to 1988 are only on Microfiche, so it is possible either plate was allocated to the car prior to 1988. Have to pay a fee for them to search the microfiche, so it can wait until the car turns up (if it ever does!)

Steve, any extra news on this car? I'm hanging to go and look at it!

If it does not show up I'll start putting wanted ads for an RT11# Corona Hardtop in Classic Car mags when my work settles down. Probably early next year.

Cheers guys.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Fri, 15 October 2004 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I put the fender mirrors on the car today.

To be honest, I prefer the cleaner lines with just the chrome tabs instead od the mirrors. Damn convex glass too!

I'll take some pics in the enxt few days so you can see it.

seeyuzz
river
Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Fri, 15 October 2004 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi river,

Where abouts did you get the chrome tabs to plug up the mirror holes? I'll be needing some to cover up the space where my old fender mirrors once were.
Tom
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Fri, 15 October 2004 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

They came with the car. It's always had them.

seeyuzz
river
Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Fri, 15 October 2004 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anybody know where these are available?
Bluewire
Regular

May 2002

Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Sat, 16 October 2004 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/toyota/80/othetoyo/smthane1.jpg
This car belongs to Roger and he still lives in Adelaide.
I fitted a Stereo in it in 1999, with some custom work to the dash.
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 03 November 2004 14:17 Go to previous message
Hi River,

No I haven't forgotten about the article.
I wanted to get a better copy of it.
Unfortunately all I could do was a fairly dark photocopy, but I guess it is better than nothing.

Incidently, RT104GT, I found an article on your car in the June issue of Modern Motor magazine, it appears that your car was brought over for AMI's national sales director, Bill Owbridge. River, Your car was brought over for Ken Hougham, the Managing Director.

I have copies of both articles now. I just want to run off another copy of the Corona article and then I'll send them both to you River. I hope that you can arrange to send the corona article to RT104GT, or at least a copy of it.

River, do you know if your brake booster is common to any other cars? My brother wants to make up a custom air box for his 18RG but doesn't have room due to the intrusive design of the RA28 booster.

Seeya.
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:My 1994 Camry
Next Topic:ke30 from the Netherlands
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 21:56:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0095620155334473 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.