Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » OPTIMAX suxs!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
thunderbird1
Forums Junkie

May 2002
OPTIMAX suxs! Tue, 21 May 2002 16:20 Go to next message
Can i just say that my 1jz had a come and go misfire. Well it used to be when i was using optimax and for the last month or 2 i have only put in mobil or caltex.Then last night,put in a tank of optimax and the mis was back again.

So for what it is worth.. i'm not getting optimax again. I know alot of people that have had troubles with it.

Luke
  Send a private message to this user    
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Tue, 21 May 2002 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone know what the BP high octane UPL stuff is like?

In Adelaide we dont get any Optimax or any of the other brands equivalents.

But i noticed one BP here selling a new type of petrol... i assume its a high-octane ULP. (argh... cant remember what they called it).
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Tue, 21 May 2002 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I reckon I noticed a difference when I tried BP about a month ago, after using only ever optimax since it came out. And actually, now I think about it, I think I got more Ks with BP. I'll have to investigate that more.

While we're on the subject, my old man has a V6 vectra that's suposed to use premium, but lately he's been using normal ULP.
I pinned him about it just before he drove to melbourne a couple of weeks ago, telling him the best time to fill it with premium was for highway driving, so he went straight out & filled up with regular. No No No
So anyway, he's been driving for a few hours, and he checks out the little trip computer you get these days, and it tells him the L/100Kms. And guess what? 12.9L/100Km! For a late model car on highway driving!
So when the tank was finished, he filled up with BP premium, and reset the trip computer. After he had been back on the road a while? 8.0L/100Km. It even dropped down to high 7s for a bit.

It helps you understand how much of a difference fuels can make.
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Tue, 21 May 2002 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We dont have the OPTIMAX down here in Adelaide. We have been promised since the start of the year but has made it so far. BP has two types of PULP. The regular and Ultamite. The regualr PULP is 4 cents more while the Ultamite is an extra 8 cents. Is that the price difference between ULP and Optimax in the eastern states?

Facts about Ultamite:

1) high density fuel that means provides better fuel economy

2) has a very low sulphur content - 10 times lower than the national standard for unleaded fuels - ensuring lower sulphur emissions and greater engine eficiency

3) is a highly refined fuel that produces low levels of benzene, sulphur and lower aromatics - helping contribute to cleaner, healthier air.

Dont be a cheap skate and safe money getting ULP. I also believe that you get more km's out of a tank of PULP then ULP. There fore, it ends up safe you money. My car has always gotten more kays and run much smoother on PULP over ULP.
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon7.gif  Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Tue, 21 May 2002 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Luke,

I could not agree with you more on this one !

I will not and never have used optimax ! This is for one pretty basic reason. Optimax is apparently not really a Petrol ! It is classed as a chemical fuel so I am told (I could be wrong)

What I do know for a fact is that Optimax is treated differently. Have you ever noticed that optimax has its own pumps ? And Trucks ! Apparently this is a required thing for whatever reason. Even Shell advise against Mixing optimax with any other "fuel". There is no way n hell my car is getting anything you have to be that careful with !

Personally I only run BP Ulimate or Mobil Synergy PULP both these petrols are 98 Octane and even in the old 2TG you can definately feel the difference.
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Tue, 21 May 2002 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael and i defineately realised the harm that optimax can do a car. After a small amount sitting in the tank for about 3 months not being used while engine was being rebuilt, put the engine in tried to start it, no go..

The stuff just would not combust,

Flushed the fuel line and the tank. Started.
I work for a car fleet leaasing company and we were told not to buy Optimax from rural stations as it sits too long, and goes bad,
Apparently it attracts water like nothing else.

Ben
AE86 Trueno 4AGE (not running Optimax)

[Updated on: Tue, 21 May 2002 22:34]

Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Tue, 21 May 2002 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

So its ok to use mobil and BP premiums is it ?
AE82TwinCam
Regular

May 2002
icon14.gif  Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Tue, 21 May 2002 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I also don't like using optimax, the difference between it and BP 98 is quite noticable, I was noticing the difference without the thoughts of BP vs Shell in my mind... but its just more obvious now.... I only use BP ultimate since thats the only other equivalent here... I don't think Vortex from caltex is 98 octane... but I'm not sure... anyway, go BP Evil or Very Mad

-Andrew
LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Tue, 21 May 2002 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think vortex from caltex is 95 octane
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

and mobil ?? hehehe
TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G'day,

i use mobil synergy in my 1g... havn't used anything else due to bad reports.

The caltex brochure about vortex was interesting. it stated that higher octane fuels don't increase performance and their fuel was superior because it had valve cleaning agents!!! WTF!!??? so i have stayed well clear of them!!!!

Stew
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here's the go on petrols (as I did some research into this a couple of months ago)

optimax is apparently the worst 98 octane fuel around (it was also the first, so I guess that makes sense)

mobil 8000 is a good quality 98 octane

BP ultimate is also a good quality 98 octane (I daresay better than all the rest from personal experience)

and caltex vortex is a 95 octane petrol with some extra cleaning agents added

happy hunting Eye Spin
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With the high octane premiums, do all the abovementioned servos sell them ? Or do some of them still sell 'just premium' ?

Whatever I look for, just look for anypump that says 98 octane... and stay clear of Optimax ey ?

Sounds like a plan

LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you go to one of those other servo's...like say..'Fuelzone'

and they have mobil stickers on their pumps..would that mean their premium is the mobil 8000?
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was only a little while ago on the old forums that people were saying that Optimax is best. All the others had a max of 98 octane and Optimax was 98 octane?!

Anyways I will conduct my own investigation! Grin

Is it bad to run high octane fuels, then use octane booster? Apparently your engine runs too hot?
LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mobil was meant to be a definite of 98 octane

i'm not sure about the others
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4 months of playing with fuels has taught me a few things that i hope eveyone can avoid without having to experience it:

Arrow Mobil 98RON is the best. they also have the best consistency b/w bowsers

Arrow BP ultimate is high/close to 98RON but quality can fluctuate a little

Arrow Optimax might have been 98RON when it left the refinery but youll almost NEVER get 98 at the bowser. and consistency of age at the bowser is HOPELESS b/w stations. almost 95-98RON range

Arrow Caltex Vortex is labled 95RON but is more like 92 and i'm almost at the stage where im going to write to caltex and chuck a tantrum.
maxdamage75
Regular

May 2002

Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been using optimax for a while now and I haven't noticed anything weird about it and sometimes i use mobil premium unleaded and don't really notice any difference. After reading this, I think I might give BP a go.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

What car does your engine have mate ? is it turbod ? i can tell you now that putting optimax in a non turbo 1.5 cyl non high-po car does.................absolutely nothing...

i know from experience Rolling Rolling Rolling Nod
maxdamage75
Regular

May 2002

Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my engine doesn't have a car. It is surrounded by car but I can tell you now, there's no car inside my engine. Anyway, I know what you're getting at and I've just got the 2sc in it and it's a 4 cylinder, not 1.5. Anyway, I notice the difference.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I was not taking a cheap shot at ur car - the 1.5 non hi-po engine belongs to my lancer ! hehehe

makes no diff there... Very Happy

... and i meant what engine does your car have... or i it the other way tound ? Freak

[Updated on: Wed, 22 May 2002 05:01]

maxdamage75
Regular

May 2002

Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what year lancer is it and what the hell are you doing driving around in a 1.5 cylinder car for anyway? Smile
Rowey
Newcomer

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was running the Optimax in my car, until one day i had to put in the PULP from Mobil, i have never looked back again, I find that even the Mobil ULP runs better in my car than Optimax. Also the car runs smother and the exhaust is much cleaner, I will try the BP fuel and see if that is any good.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon4.gif  Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

(1997) WHATS WRONG WITH MY LANCER !! hahaha Cry

BTW it is because of the fact that I drove a 1.5 (singlecam) ricemobile that I now also have a 1ggte ra65 !!
maxdamage75
Regular

May 2002

Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can i have your engine?
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my engine is actually in the car so ........ no ... Exclamation

BUT u can have the 1.5 singlecam

MOOHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Laughing

TRACTION_ISSUES
Regular

May 2002

Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm...im the complete oposite on this one. I have used Mobil 8000 and BP Ultimate and the car pings and basically feels shithouse!! Whereas on Optimax, it runs fine!!
idfamily
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from my experience 4age 100kw AE86

1. BP 98 (coz cheaper )
2. mobil 98 (the best performance, but expensive)
3. BP 91 (car run smooth)
4. mobile 91 (when full tank.. little bit idle problem)
5. shell 91 (when full tank... idle very low and not smooth)
6. shell optimax ( like full pump got problem, back fire, low kms, not powerful as mobil....)

just my opinion..only.
conclusion BP98 !!
cheap and good..........

Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only problem with optimax is if you fill up at a servo that doesn't sell it often. It tends to go stale if left too long.

I fill up at busy servo's so optimax is fine for me.

I've never tried the bp one as I havn't found a servo that has it yet.

I almost tried the mobile one, but I was advised it was worse than optimax.

ed_ma61, on your bulleted post, how do you know the exact ron ratings and if they are consistant? Do you have a petrol testing lab at home or something? I'm not having a go at you, I just want to know how you came to such a conclusive evaluation. Or was it just a general feel when driving?

So from the consensus here, if I find a bp ultimate in inventory at a station, I'll give it a go. I've always filled up on optimax.
Julz
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon4.gif  Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've hated optimax since 2000.
only use BP98 os Synergy8000
occasionally use Vortex coz i got the Starcard (discount)

last tank of vortex i put in was dreadful. purchased from the Caltex on enmore Rd, Newtown.

CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After getting sonic cleaned exchange injectors only after 40,000km, I started having doubts about Optimax. I've been using BP Ultimate without any problems.

After that dodgy aircraft fuel fiasco from Mobil, I'm hesitant to use Synrgy 8000.
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ED,

You have me Curious too !

What do you do for a Crust? Last guy i knew that could quote me that sort of info worked as the Marketing manager for one of the Oil Companies ? Thats if you don't mind telling us.

Thanks,
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm here to demostrate wat a difference it makes to a shitty old 21R-C.

My car hasn't touched regular unleaded since I've had it. If I get used to paying for premium, I wont crack a shit if I get a car that requires it.

We dont get Optimax or Mobil here at all. I've used premium from these Gull servos over here, but I dont know where they get it from but basically, the car ran fine...still dodgy.

Started using Vortex Gold...I know its 95RON...but I'm not concerned about my car needing lots of octane...the manual says 89 is fine Smile Car definetly started running better though...maybe there is something to the cleaning agents.

I primarily use Ultimate 98...always good, same feel, mind you... I think my car really needs to be tuned if its to take full advantage, a car tuned for low fuel is supposed to lose power when using high octane as the ignition needs to be advanced or something...but still, BP makes my shitty old car feel the best...

As for which I got the best economy on...I'd probably have to say the Gull Smile But then, since my car started feeling better with the other fuels, it gets a bit more of a caning! Razz
BigBadBenny
Regular

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs!, MY OATH IT DOES!!! Wed, 22 May 2002 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You know I posted a thing about optimax a while back in the old forums, mainly stating that I didn't like the stuff and I thought it did some harm to my engine, and I just wanted to know what other ppl thought about it. I know that it causes WRX's to ping like there is no tomorrow.
Well that comment about WRX's stirred up a bit of trouble. I just want to know why everyone was for it three months ago and bagging me out, and now it seems that IT is just as shit as I thought it was.
Since my celica got stolen I've been driving my Bimmer and cause it didn't get driven much before it started to hesitate when cruising at a constant rev. So I ran BP ultimate through it and a bit of Toyota injector cleaner and it runs sweetyly.
I never fill up with anything lower than premium.
Just another thing. You may see Octane boosters and fuel aditives advertising the fact that they contain Toluelne.
Toluene is in fact a paint thinner and actually does not atract an excise tax. Dodgy fuel stations mix this with their petrol in order to increase the amouont of petrol they have and therefore more money in their pocket!!!
I have even heard of a servo selling petrol that contained 72% toluene!!!
So the moral of the storey is be carefull about where you byr your fuel, I always try to pick fairly new servo's.
Just my 2cents- I'm not trying to paddle in the other direction

Benny
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
basically, figuring out above RONs was done by deduction/elimination having tuned the car to a confirmed/tested and standardised optimax 98RON tank which i got from a friend at Shell (happend to be a quality control sample leftover, which we had the number for).

i had been having real probs with my tuning, so i grabbed this tank when it came up, and tuned the car right to the edge.

so... i now had a very finely tuned car, which i knew ran right at 'real' 98RON.

from then on i kept filling up on optimax merrily thinking all was well... but it wasnt... detonation-o-rama!!

so, got myself some tolulene, of known, and tighly consistent RON (about 115 isnt it? cant remember) ...and then, on a known tank volume of optimax, added increasing volumes of tolulene until detonation was eliminated. using the vol of the tank, and the volume of the tolulene added, i calculated the 'original' RON of the optimax.

i subsequently did this with various fuels, and looked at the consistency of the results across a few weeks and accross different stations.

eventually, your ear gets quite good at listening to different levels of detonation at different engine loads, and having calculated the RONs for past fuels, can estimate what ive got in the tank pretty well. even if you want to say my engine has gone out of tune a bit since, i can still tell you the consistency of fuels between stations.

and rod... me earn a crust??? hehahahehe Smile i wish!! poor student am i!

anyone want to give me a job on the weekends?? im desparate! (smart too aparently!.. i can learn!!)

cheers
ed
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have heard that BP Ultimate was Optimax in Sydney since the only BP refineries are in Queensland and WA.
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Definitely not. Both Shell and BP make and supply there own petrol
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But how do they justify transporting fuel all the way from Queensland down to Sydney without costing a fortune?

I'll have to try some Ultimate then. Never tried that in the Astra.
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Because thos trucks hold 30,000 litres of petrol. But dont they ship it down then put in those trucks? I'm not entirely sure. But even if they did only truck it down 30,000 litres of petrol is alot of $$$
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 22 May 2002 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was pretty sure that all the petrol comes from the mobil plant in Sydney, and BP and Shell buy the premium from them, then they all add their own mix of detergents (I hate the sound of that being in my fuel Confused ) and cleaners & crap.

So at least mobil are selling their own fuel.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Thu, 23 May 2002 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting. I just had a look at the bp site and they are trialling ethanol in their premium unleaded range up here in queensland.
TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Thu, 23 May 2002 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g'day again....

Benny, toluene is good stuff (not for you - it causes cancer) but for your motor.
Benzene and toluene are very simmilar, and this is what is used in unleaded petrol instead of lead to control pinging. thus why many people add it to their tank when the go drag racing etc.

Ethanol is great stuff! in brazil there are cars that run on nealy pure ethanol.... imagine that - steeing up your home brew in the back yard to fuel your car! plus the car has virtually zero emissions, good for the enviro too.

Stew
(by the way i am a science teacher - so i am probably WRONG!)
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Thu, 23 May 2002 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with TOY77, toluene is good stuff for engines. Octane in the upper 110 region. Excellent for preventing detonation.

The thing I don't get is that people say servo's mix it in with petrol to save on taxes... has anyone ever priced toluene ? It's $1.60 per litre ! How can that make the price of petrol cheaper ?

Something to think about.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Thu, 23 May 2002 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its that price in the quantities that you may purchase it for. When we are talking about large quantities that a servo uses, it probably works about the same base price, but without the taxes.
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
I CANT BELEIVE SOME OF THE B/S POSTED ABOVE Mon, 27 May 2002 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You guys crack me up!!!!!
Your all going by seat of the pants feel. And some of the cars you are doing it on are stockers!!!! Or not even mildly worked.

Common, use some brains or technology if u dont have any.

I drive around pretty much 90% of the time with an ultrasonic
sensor on my block with a narrow bandpass filter hooked up to an LED output. If it pings the light goes off i back off.

You can only hear detonation audiably about 1 second after it initialy begins and becomes so severe it can be actually heard.

I have never ever heard my car audiably ping because i never allow it to do it so badly.

You guys are probably driving round with your cars pinging its tits off before you even know it.

Optimax is the best fuel i've used.

Vortex is what its name says but relates to the whole it leaves in your piston.

Mobil-I've been to lots of mobil servo's in metro sydney and some have it posted as 96 octane which worries me.

Julz
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: I CANT BELEIVE SOME OF THE B/S POSTED ABOVE Mon, 27 May 2002 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't let it worry you. The mobil you see with 96 RON is just premium unleaded. Synergy 8000 is the 98 RON stuff. the same applies with shell and bp servos that don't stock optimax and ultimate respectively. they got premium unleaded which is 94-96 RON.
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Mon, 27 May 2002 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey SUPRAGTE, tell me more about that setup of yours. How much did it cost to setup, and how did you go about it (parts, wiring etc)?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Mon, 27 May 2002 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr gte,
let me pick your oh so condesending post to pieces...

"You guys crack me up!!!!!
Your all going by seat of the pants feel. And some of the cars you are doing it on are stockers!!!! Or not even mildly worked."

so the f-ck what if its stock or a f-cking mclaren?? is there a difference? no. whats the point of that staement? seat of the pants? huh? because we dont have a knock sensor? the knock sensor may have a lower threshold for activation, but the human ear (whilst admitedly having a higher threshold) is equally as capable of sensitive discrimination, and is highly consistent in its threshold recognition.

"Common, use some brains or technology if u dont have any."

and the technology is?? oh, your knock sensor? oh very high tech. it simply alerts you to lower, unaudible levels of detonation. thats got nothing to do with the quality an consistency of fuels as we are talking about. so you have a sensitive gauge. well you should be able to use that, if your car is highly string and depends on good fuel, to recgise that fuels are VERY inconsistent. the very fact that you dont notice such diversity in quality demonstrates that you car's tuning isnt taking advantage of the last few RON's that can be tweaked out of good fuel.

"I drive around pretty much 90% of the time with an ultrasonic
sensor on my block with a narrow bandpass filter hooked up to an LED output. If it pings the light goes off i back off."

congratulations again. when i hear pinging, i also know ive gone too far and i back off. not only that, but i recognise the limit of my audible perception, and back off yet further, allowing for such lack of perception. further yet, i know that my car doesnt EVER ping on good fuel, and thus, am happy to conclude that the cause for the present detonation lies in the poor quality fluid in my tank. the point of this conversation, which you seem to have so eloquently missed, is that the quality of fuel precipitating such detonation is unreliable, and that some fuels are better than others. you dont need a f-king ultrasonic detector to realise that.

"You can only hear detonation audiably about 1 second after it initialy begins and becomes so severe it can be actually heard."

ahh the old one second rule huh... passed on through generations of mechanics as sacred knowledge. come on. detonation can be totally unaudible forever. equally, it can be so bad that severe detonation occurs very loudly, and is percievabe by the occupants of the car. congratulations on whatever hi-tech gizmo youre running to let you recognise detonation erlier than you would by ear. so your threshold of detection is lower than those of us who use our meagre ears. what the issue is is the consistency of the detection of the detonation. your detector picks it up at a certain level, the same time, all the time. my ear picks it up at a greater level, but still at the same time all of the time. using such consistency, it is possible to predict the consistency between fuels. add to this the titration of fuel with a known standard octane mixture, and it is possible to calcualte the RON of servo fuel quite accurately.

"I have never ever heard my car audiably ping because i never allow it to do it so badly."

put some good fuel in and tune your car properly, and youll be able to drive it harder, and you wont need that f-king detector. more and more, your post sounds like you want to brag about your detector, and how much everyone else is ruining their cars, but oh...not you, your detector is so good...

"You guys are probably driving round with your cars pinging its tits off before you even know it."

ditto

"Optimax is the best fuel i've used."

well youve obviously got no idea about optimax then. either that, or your car is so undertuned that your detector is teling you everything is fine despite running completely shithouse fuel.

"Vortex is what its name says but relates to the whole it leaves in your piston."

meaning exactly what? your detector tell you this, or do you have some substance to add to that?

"Mobil-I've been to lots of mobil servo's in metro sydney and some have it posted as 96 octane which worries me."

i think your a little confused sunshine.

hows about you follow the thread before jumping in all bragging about how hot your detonation detector is, and how its just horseshit to predict car tuning using anything else. you obviously havent tuned your car 'that' finely otherwise you'd be noticing some abberations on your little meter. no-one cares how good your set up is, unless you plan on being constructive about it. calling people morons, and telling then theyre wrecking their engines is doing no-one any good, and sounds more like your taking the chance to let everyone know how good you are.

which, if you havent noticed, annoys people.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Mon, 27 May 2002 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Ed, that only counts as one (1) post Laughing

but yeh agreed
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Mon, 27 May 2002 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FRIG ED! that's a long post....

some of yas sound like you know quite a bit on this subject...i just use regular petrol atm...might try something else, but as was stated above, not really gonna notice much, or be able to really test the difference with only a stock engine, no performance mods.....
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Mon, 27 May 2002 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahahha ed, i like ya stuff...saying what ya feel! hehhe

yeah, what does it matter if ya dont have a friggin knock sensor??

what simply mods can one do to increase fuel performance??

lmfao! get into him!! Razz Agreed Ed

i'll say it again, like ya stuff...great knowledge...keep it coming!
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Tue, 28 May 2002 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if nothing else, on a stock standard non performance engine, running good fuel and tuning the car as best as possible for that fuel will improve economy.
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Dammit Tue, 28 May 2002 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just wrote a 4 page reply and the prick dissapears when i spell check it!!!!!!

Well here's the short version.

1. I have a blanket ignition timing change that i do when i get a tank of fuel other than optimax. It simply take's ignition timing off accross the whole map.

2. I extract every available Kw from my engine by doing this. Much to your disbeleif Ed.

3. I'm saying that any detoantion is bad but i would definitely prefer to back off and adjust my timing rather than putting my foot down until i hear it. By then it's too late, some damage is done. They are called internal combustion engines not internal detonation machines.

4. Some dyno tuners tune by ear. At 6700rpm,14psi etc etc i would want the guy to use his ear to wait for detonation. Then turn around and say "mate there must have been something wrong with your engine". I've seen and heard it happen to others.
Particularly with a 7mgt and standard head gasket i wont ever risk it.

For Willwall98 the setup uses:
- A VN V6 Commodore sensor bolted into the block. It made of a cermic plate that produces eletricity when it vibrates(detontion vibrations).

-The input from the sensor goes to a VN V6 Commodore Memcal knock sensor board.

-This normaly sends a CMOS/TTL output to the EMS of factory holden's and tells it to retard the timing. In this case we take the output and amplify it with a BC type transistor through some resistors and to an output LED.

-The "black box" is powered from the cig lighter 12v.

-It was pubished in zoom18 as an diy article but the schematic was way wrong. You cant get back issues that far anymore, i tried.

If you want to make one, just msg or email me once u get the parts. $5 for the block mounted knock sensor,$60-$100 for the memcal and $20 for other electronic parts. Get the first two from wreckers.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Tue, 28 May 2002 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How well does the sensor work? I know that they get switched off on the Commonwhores above 4000rpm or something because the coarseness of the engine makes it think its detonating. How does it cope with the fact you go much above that?

I still dont think anything has been detracted from ed's argument about the flucuation at the pumps. Just because he "tuned it by ear" doesn't mean its going to be inaccurate when it comes to comparing, it still being tested on the same basis.
UP4SUM
Regular

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Tue, 28 May 2002 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GO the BP fuel

i put Optimax in now and then and it sucks, put in the BP and it rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BP ROCKS
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Nearest BP/Mobil to Wollongong... Tue, 28 May 2002 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
People...

Does anyone know the closest BP or Mobil with these super-fuels near Wollongong ?
I wanna try them out in the ole 1J, but none of the servos down here have the Synergy stuff or BP stuff.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nearest BP/Mobil to Wollongong... Tue, 28 May 2002 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soarer wrote on Wed, 29 May 2002 12:27 AM

People...

Does anyone know the closest BP or Mobil with these super-fuels near Wollongong ?
I wanna try them out in the ole 1J, but none of the servos down here have the Synergy stuff or BP stuff.

http://www.bp.com.au/locations/locations.asp

Then click on BP service stations.

That's how I found some close to me too.
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 29 May 2002 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, we could not find a BP service station within 50Km radius of Wollongong. Please try a larger radius or reduce the search criteria.

Great... so much for that idea.
No BP Ultimate for at least 50km.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Wed, 29 May 2002 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holy jeebus!

One would have thought that you would have that stuff down in Wollongong. Time to move north. hehehe
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OPTIMAX suxs! Thu, 30 May 2002 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
We have a total of 3 places that sell Optimax. All other servos sell regular ULP or normal Premium ULP.
Sucks baaaad.
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Cannonball Run
Next Topic:Fast and the Furious Sequel
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Oct 6 02:40:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0141761302948 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.