Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » does any one else want to start a punk rock band?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
does any one else want to start a punk rock band? Sat, 10 July 2004 13:19 Go to next message

who else wants 2 start a punk band[ 13 vote(s) ]
1.yes 3 / 23%
2.no 10 / 77%

I just had this idea about starting a punk band, but i can't play no musical instruments for shit. I think if I was to start one I should call it the distortion or something? I have an idea about two songs already where i tell some people i have known to get fucked! but back to the point does anyone else wanna do the same? and what name for the band would you suggest?

Send a private message to this user    
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: does any one else want to start a punk rock band? Sat, 10 July 2004 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dosent matter if u cant play musical instruments, u can still be in a punk band
toynado
Regular

May 2004
Re: does any one else want to start a punk rock band? Sat, 10 July 2004 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forget guitar
it is difficult
i suggest keyboards
you dun haf to be very good ...

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: does any one else want to start a punk rock band? Sun, 11 July 2004 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guitar is difficult? Pfft...
I learnt it in a flash, but then I was into music from like the age of 6 to 15 Smile
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: does any one else want to start a punk rock band? Sun, 11 July 2004 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I'm attempting to learn guitar at the moment, all is well but still can't play it good, can kinda play Deep purple:- Smoke on the water, but have got a long way to go, maybe I should just sing! Razz (very poorly)
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: does any one else want to start a punk rock band? Sun, 11 July 2004 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its doesnt matter if you cant or cant play instruments, you're punk band wont go anywhere, well mine isnt (our drummer just quit, because he likes old school, and we play... pop-punk. *shudder* i try to make it more punk than pop, i swear).
there are way too many other punks bands now, its like, the end of the wave, the band wagon has left town, know what im saying?
tripmcneily
Regular

May 2004
tripmcneily
Re: does any one else want to start a punk rock band? Sun, 11 July 2004 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ha ha suckers!!!

I took the easy option and joined a band with paying gigs already happening!!! Now we have producers hassling us to go with them.

Razz

bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: does any one else want to start a punk rock band? Sun, 11 July 2004 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you lucky bastard.
mind you ,this drummer that recently left our band, one of the other guys mum in his new band has all sorts of connections, apparently they went in and recorded a couple of songs in that recording studio where living end recorded (its famous, but i cant remember the name). and apprently this guys mum knows tim armstrong, but i reckon thats bullshit. Confused
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: does any one else want to start a punk rock band? Sun, 11 July 2004 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i know what your saying Crying or Very Sad,which bring me to another point, there are heaps of punk bands out there, but i feel they don't get much coverage as the should, might be because i don't live in a capital city so that might be why i think that. our radio stations seem to play the same rnb,gangster shit and depressing modern day love songs over and over and if the get a decent punk, grunge,hard rock or metal song, they flog the guts out of it then I hate it, they do have other songs, triple j is about the only station that comes close to the music i like, but seems to play a lot of hip hop stuff every time i tune in (I don't mind some australian hip hop though) but its good because i know i'll get to hear a decent song soon (waiting seems to be a part of life). i just wanna start one as i love my music short, fast, and loud. I'm into other stuff too but it's more just for the fun. it would be cool if the band got as far as bands like NOFX and Pennywise etc, (I doubt it though) I don't mined pop punk just hate it when Blink 182's songs get flogged the fuck out theres more to punk besides them. the band wagon may have left town but that ain't going stop me.

wish me luck, I know it won't get far but it would be fucking great if it does! Very Happy

I wish you luck finding another drummer for you band Smile
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: does any one else want to start a punk rock band? Sun, 11 July 2004 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, the other guitarist (i play guitar, and sing, until we find a decent singer) can also play drums, so for now, he can play drums, and we can be a three peice, which wont work for most of the songs we have written. Sad
if you want to start a band, go for it, after all gyroscope are just starting to come out, so i guess it can be done, post-wave.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: does any one else want to start a punk rock band? Sun, 11 July 2004 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah can't say I think punk will take alot out of you musically - but you have to have alot of energy live etc, which is basically all punk is...that's why you get sick of hearing the song on the radio because it's pretty mindless stuff.

Not that all punk BANDS are musically useless or untalented, far from it, but most punk rock/punk music doesn't require amazing musicianship or instrumental ability.

I say go for it man, if you got the passion and energy for it then get some people together and practise, practise, practise! Then when you can't stand playing the same songs over and over anymore, practise them some more Razz

Starting up a band and keeping it together is one of the hardest things to do on the planet.

Hint : Find at least one dude who is fairly musically competent and get him to sort of 'mentor' some of the less able fellas...there's always going to be differences in level of ability on instruments in any band. The only way anyone is going to be a 'weak link' is if they don't have the same energy for the whole process and the band as a whole as the other members.
tripmcneily
Regular

May 2004
tripmcneily
Re: does any one else want to start a punk rock band? Sun, 11 July 2004 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh man as far as punk goes if you can play at least three chords and can palm mute your set!!!

Make sure you get some facial peircings if you wanna be taken seriously though!!
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: does any one else want to start a punk rock band? Mon, 12 July 2004 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
start a ska band, mine is up to 9 players at the moment. it's fun stuff to play and the crowds can actually dance around and stuff.

i know lots of punk bands around adelaide. some are good, some are boring and repetitive, some and just shite. way too many pop punk bands tho, everyone has some initialled name that stands for some crappy saying, and some dick up the front singing in an american accent
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: does any one else want to start a punk rock band? Tue, 13 July 2004 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey all.

i just want to throw in my 2cents on the music industry.
'making it' as an australian band (any type of music) isnt a case of 1/1000, its literally 1/1,000,000. Fact is there are 1000's of bands in Australia and a handful are really good then a handful from them are somewhat successful. And then there is only about a dozen that have 'made it'.

Fact; There is too much music variety these days. And frankly we dont have the population to feed it.

Once upon a time your typical australian teenager wouldve been into either pop/disco. rock. metal. punk. thesedays I could list catagories of music on a few A4 pages of paper. Nearly all of my 'typical white surburbanite mates' have extreme wigger syndrome and listen to rap 24/7... thats fine. But the other half are pill popping rave heads. As for the chicks, half are r&b slutz0rs while the other half are into house/dance. This is all fine. Cept it means one thing. Fans of Band type music are growing thinner!. Im not saying its drastically decreasing. But Its definately not growing in some insane rate.

ACDC/Silverchair are virtually the only established international australian bands that have made it. Powderfinger went overseas recently and didnt sell out bar type venues. Grinspoon? Nup. Ofcourse im not including bands that are faddy (eg jet/ the vines) but you know there is a serious problem when you have a band like the butterfly effect not living comfortably. (they sold 20,000 locally) went to the usa to showcase and nothing came of it. And most of the money has gone back into their expenses.

There are some awesome australian acts out there, especially that have come up recently, or last 3-4years.

Support the scene people! check out;

Cog, The Butteffly Effect, Sunk Loto, Gyroscope, Melodyssey, After the Fall.

Atleast these are a few that I rate. I have a large list... =p
People also need to go to local gigs more!.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: does any one else want to start a punk rock band? Tue, 13 July 2004 12:33 Go to previous message
bathurst-91 wrote on Tue, 13 July 2004 22:09

hey all.

i just want to throw in my 2cents on the music industry.
'making it' as an australian band (any type of music) isnt a case of 1/1000, its literally 1/1,000,000. Fact is there are 1000's of bands in Australia and a handful are really good then a handful from them are somewhat successful. And then there is only about a dozen that have 'made it'.

Fact; There is too much music variety these days. And frankly we dont have the population to feed it.

Once upon a time your typical australian teenager wouldve been into either pop/disco. rock. metal. punk. thesedays I could list catagories of music on a few A4 pages of paper. Nearly all of my 'typical white surburbanite mates' have extreme wigger syndrome and listen to rap 24/7... thats fine. But the other half are pill popping rave heads. As for the chicks, half are r&b slutz0rs while the other half are into house/dance. This is all fine. Cept it means one thing. Fans of Band type music are growing thinner!. Im not saying its drastically decreasing. But Its definately not growing in some insane rate.

ACDC/Silverchair are virtually the only established international australian bands that have made it. Powderfinger went overseas recently and didnt sell out bar type venues. Grinspoon? Nup. Ofcourse im not including bands that are faddy (eg jet/ the vines) but you know there is a serious problem when you have a band like the butterfly effect not living comfortably. (they sold 20,000 locally) went to the usa to showcase and nothing came of it. And most of the money has gone back into their expenses.

There are some awesome australian acts out there, especially that have come up recently, or last 3-4years.

Support the scene people! check out;

Cog, The Butteffly Effect, Sunk Loto, Gyroscope, Melodyssey, After the Fall.

Atleast these are a few that I rate. I have a large list... =p
People also need to go to local gigs more!.

very true and I agree with you on supporting our Australian scene there are some great bands out there which I beleve deserve better. not just those mentioned theres more as well. I'd rather pay money to see The Butterfly Effect then pay heaps of money to see some rapper from the US sing. I will also agree with what you said about listing all the music categories on a few A4 pages of paper. it's stupid the amounts of categories there are.

thought the idea of the band is more so for fun, but hey if I was good enough to make it I'd go that far, but it looks slim of it happening though
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Any other japanese to english translators but babblefish?
Next Topic:digital video camera
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 16:56:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069010257720947 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.