Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Toyota MR2 SW20 vs Honda Euro R 2.2 VTEC

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Winno
Newcomer

May 2004
Toyota MR2 SW20 vs Honda Euro R 2.2 VTEC Wed, 21 July 2004 08:21 Go to next message
I got to drive my friends Honda today. It's had a 2.2 VTEC transplant and is stock internally.
It's had basic stuff like stainless 4-1 headers, racing box, Kakimoto exhaust, cold air induction and Apexi air flow controller, race springs, carbon bonnet, etc, etc.

What I'm getting to is that it was bloody fast...and I mean faaast!
I have driven another friends STI Sooby packed with Tein and HKS goodies which was only just faster but the Honda was way more driveable and city freindly. The Honda was faster than my other friends 355 Ferrari that I drove as well.

What can be done to the '95+ Bathurst SW20 to make it very quick without losing it's driveability?
I would prefer to not do a transplant for a turbo motor.
Add on's, piggy back engine management, etc?

Cheers,
Winno.
  Send a private message to this user    
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: Toyota MR2 SW20 vs Honda Euro R 2.2 VTEC Wed, 21 July 2004 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
basically its the same as any NA 4 pot. the basics like headers, exhaust, filter with cold induction, and ecu..
u should be able to get a fair bit more without sacrificing too much.
there should be plenty of info around for this kinda thing
ur wallet puts the limit on wat u can do with the 3SGE engines.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Toyota MR2 SW20 vs Honda Euro R 2.2 VTEC Wed, 21 July 2004 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am sorry but I can't see how a Honda Euro 2.2L could possibly be faster than a Ferrari 355 when an NSX has no chance against them???

unless the ferrari was stuffed?

extractors, exhaust, cams, ECU, cold air induction, bigger throttle body etc.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Toyota MR2 SW20 vs Honda Euro R 2.2 VTEC Wed, 21 July 2004 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ditto about the F355. Rolling Eyes
Winno
Newcomer

May 2004
Re: Toyota MR2 SW20 vs Honda Euro R 2.2 VTEC Wed, 21 July 2004 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, it is quicker.
I got to drive the Ferrari quite a bit and it only got going after 4500revs so while the Ferrari was still building up the revs, the Honda woulda been well on it's way.
The F had it in the handling, looks, and bling areas though.
His new M3 is quicker than both by miles though.
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: Toyota MR2 SW20 vs Honda Euro R 2.2 VTEC Wed, 21 July 2004 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quoted from BMW Australia a M3 CSL can only do 0-100 in 4.9 and from supercars.com the F355 0-100 in 4.7

So maybe you're driving it wrong Rolling Eyes

As for making an N/A mr2 faster, beams. Very Happy
Winno
Newcomer

May 2004
Re: Toyota MR2 SW20 vs Honda Euro R 2.2 VTEC Wed, 21 July 2004 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forgot to mention that the F car had a $5k headers and exhaust on it among other things and the M3 has had about another $25k+ thrown at it as well.
Winno
Newcomer

May 2004
Re: Toyota MR2 SW20 vs Honda Euro R 2.2 VTEC Wed, 21 July 2004 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So the 3SGE comes in Beams form?
What year SW20?
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Toyota MR2 SW20 vs Honda Euro R 2.2 VTEC Wed, 21 July 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
last 6 months build date sw20 with red top vvti motor 1998
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Toyota MR2 SW20 vs Honda Euro R 2.2 VTEC Thu, 22 July 2004 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very very nice motor but extreamly expensive and hard to find
150kw at fly from memory!
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Toyota MR2 SW20 vs Honda Euro R 2.2 VTEC Thu, 22 July 2004 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dual VVTi goodness.... Very Happy
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Toyota MR2 SW20 vs Honda Euro R 2.2 VTEC Fri, 23 July 2004 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Winno wrote on Wed, 21 July 2004 18:21

I got to drive my friends Honda today. It's had a 2.2 VTEC transplant and is stock internally.
It's had basic stuff like stainless 4-1 headers, racing box, Kakimoto exhaust, cold air induction and Apexi air flow controller, race springs, carbon bonnet, etc, etc.

What I'm getting to is that it was bloody fast...and I mean faaast!
I have driven another friends STI Sooby packed with Tein and HKS goodies which was only just faster but the Honda was way more driveable and city freindly. The Honda was faster than my other friends 355 Ferrari that I drove as well.

What can be done to the '95+ Bathurst SW20 to make it very quick without losing it's driveability?
I would prefer to not do a transplant for a turbo motor.
Add on's, piggy back engine management, etc?

Cheers,
Winno.

Dude didn't your mum ever tell you not to do that in public?

Besides, you'll go blind.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota MR2 SW20 vs Honda Euro R 2.2 VTEC Fri, 23 July 2004 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
teh seat ov teh pantz dyno can nevah lie..
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: Toyota MR2 SW20 vs Honda Euro R 2.2 VTEC Fri, 23 July 2004 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR. 2 wrote on Thu, 22 July 2004 16:27

very very nice motor but extreamly expensive and hard to find
150kw at fly from memory!

Yep, 200bhp (in the red top aka fwd/mr form 210 in the rs200's)

But not that expensive, go searching for st202 front cuts as they will be much cheaper and you'll be more likely to find them.

although you will have to make sure that the cut contains a beams instead of a gen 3 3sge which only has single vvt-i and only around 170bhp i think?
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Toyota MR2 SW20 vs Honda Euro R 2.2 VTEC Thu, 12 August 2004 05:26 Go to previous message
rob_RA40 wrote on Fri, 23 July 2004 14:58

teh seat ov teh pantz dyno can nevah lie..

Roflmao - GOLD !!

Methinks Winno may not be understanding how to treat the Fazza's 360nm of Torque, in order to extract its 370+hp...

See how those lines around the rim of the tacho turn red past 8,500rpm? That's called the red-line. The flat-plane crank needs to spin fast enough to make that needle on the tacho get near this "red-line" to make car go mucho-fast. Rolling Eyes

capiche?

I suspect Ferrari may have half an idea on how to make a $309,000 Supercar go quick in a straight line!! The lack of "oomph" compared to the WRX is the STI's Turbo thwacking you in the back with all of its 350+nm suddenly, whereas the 355 builds steadily to a torque-peak at 6,000rpm!

TORQUE PEAK AT SIX-GRAND!! GOT THAT PEOPLE?

My Celica won't even rev that hard!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Someone with EPC please help
Next Topic:Aftermarket ECU info
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 01:50:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051779747009277 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.