Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ben_ra23
Regular

May 2002

Site Too Slow Thu, 12 September 2002 15:43 Go to next message
THis site has gotten Heaps slow aafter the last update of the forums......

Sad

Ben
  Send a private message to this user    
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Thu, 12 September 2002 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ben,

Could you please be a little more specific? What part do you find slow - when you type in the URL, when you click on a link, when you try and post, when you're reading a thread, etc... do you get part of the page and then the rest takes a long time, or does the whole page not appear.... are you on cable, or a modem... is it slow during particular times of the day, or just all the time.. Do you have a fast/slow pc... things like that.

By knowing this info I can start to look to see where the problem may lie.

I use cable at home and I think it's a little quicker since the upgrade.

rgrds
sam
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Thu, 12 September 2002 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well for me it takes a while to load the big picture at the top where before they would just instantly appear,

the background and links at the top like the FAQ, Profile Logout things all appears straight away but have to wait a while then eventually the message board shows up, going into a reply screen loads instantly just pages with all the thread listing and always going into threads takes a while.

56k modem.
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Thu, 12 September 2002 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks GIN51E,

The top image comes from the ad server so maybe I can do something to speed that up.

How long roughly does it take for message board to show up after the profile/menu/etc in seconds? Just so I can get a rough idea...

Also, do you have the showing of Avatars enabled? Does it make any difference if it's turned off?

sam.
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Thu, 12 September 2002 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd say 30-40 seconds and yes i have avatars showing haven't tried them off but they come up straight away as i think they are all in my cache

its not that slow that i get the shits by it its just a little slower then it used to be but it loads pretty quick after that top image is loaded fully so think thats what cause most of the problems for me,
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon5.gif  Re: Site Too Slow Thu, 12 September 2002 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GIN51E, what browser are you using?
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Fri, 13 September 2002 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IE 5
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Fri, 13 September 2002 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think that top image and "Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au" should be in a "frame"!

Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Site Too Slow Fri, 13 September 2002 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would think the problem with that might be that people would link to JUST the forums page by itself, and there would really be no reference to the club whatsoever..

I think there's already enough people using the forums without having any idea about the club itself.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Fri, 13 September 2002 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You are right about that, cause that is exactly what I would do! Very Happy
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Site Too Slow Sat, 14 September 2002 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i reckon the new version of this forum software is pretty fast..

the old one toymods/forums.. was the slowest.
but this one is pretty fast.. each link i click only takes less then half a second to load the full page + graphic (optus@home cable Cool)

browsing this site at work.. asdl/isdn?
isnt to bad.. but it could just be using an older browser and standard ram slowling it down.. it loads all at once.. but takes 3/4seconds to load a page

still its alot faster then the previous forums
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Site Too Slow Sat, 14 September 2002 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think that the site has gotten faster with the new forums...

I'm on IHUG 56k...
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Sun, 15 September 2002 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolla Boy wrote on Sun, 15 September 2002 03:11

I think that the site has gotten faster with the new forums...

I'm on IHUG 56k...

Yep, same here. im with ihug too....

i reckon that it is quicker now too, but that could also have something to do with the new modem i got.
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Site Too Slow Fri, 04 October 2002 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve,
Are you having any probs with IHUG at the moment??? It's shit slow for me now... It takes almost 5 mins to load up a webpage with NO pics!!! It's just nuts...

Now mum is actually starting to understand that all the vids and pics that I have on the computer has nothing to do with the actual internet speed... Finally!!! She is sort of agreeing that maybe it's time to get cable...
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Fri, 04 October 2002 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope, im not having any problems. I've been connected for 6days and 2hrs now!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

And about parents and internet speed, i was d/l this thing for my dad, which he wanted pretty quick. it was gonna take 10mins i think. and he was saying can't you do anything to help speed it up, like turn winamp off etc! AHAHAHA ummm, no dad, thats got nothing to do with download speed.

Rolling Eyes
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Mon, 07 October 2002 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That Ad server is slowing things down heaps Evil or Very Mad
Blacki
Regular

September 2002
Re: Site Too Slow Fri, 03 January 2003 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want to download things quicker on your 56k modem...
I think it's called GetRight..

It has a function on it so you can open multiple pipes I think upto 4. It makes downloading a bit quicker...
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Wed, 08 January 2003 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After upgrading to DSL I have noticed that the AD server is the major bottle neck when loading pages!
Any reason why we are using an adserver? Why not just use a random picture script?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon4.gif  Re: Site Too Slow Wed, 08 January 2003 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We did use a random picture script but the adserver gives us many things, the least of which is reporting tools like click-through counts. This is very important for showing to sponsors....
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Thu, 09 January 2003 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhhh ok fair enough Smile
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Fri, 10 January 2003 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your on a 33/56k modem the bottle neck is with you!

geta faster connection!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Fri, 10 January 2003 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Put ya specs on mate. I said I upgraded to DSL Rolling Eyes
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Fri, 10 January 2003 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blacki wrote on Fri, 03 January 2003 12:24

If you want to download things quicker on your 56k modem...
I think it's called GetRight..

It has a function on it so you can open multiple pipes I think upto 4. It makes downloading a bit quicker...

Yeah, i use FlashGet. Does the same thing.

still, you're only gonna d/l as fast as the modem/phone line will allow. which is about 5.5-6k/s max.

theres a saying about flogging a dead horse i think that kinda fits in with this situation. Very Happy
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Sun, 12 January 2003 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Fri, 10 January 2003 23:26

Put ya specs on mate. I said I upgraded to DSL Rolling Eyes

dont wear specs mate! Rolling Eyes

who is ya provider?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Mon, 13 January 2003 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My provider is iinet! Dont tell me they are crap cause they are not!
Its just that when I load pages in the forum I notice the connection looking at the ad server 3 or more times! Now I know this doesnt slow down the page loading that much, but i'm sure without the ad server it would load 2 seconds faster!

Buts its been said they the ad server is staying so there is no point bitching about it!

Another thing I have noticed is that the forum is down a fair bit late at night! Any reason?
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Mon, 13 January 2003 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
settle down man! no need to get so uptight about it
just trying to help you

[Updated on: Mon, 13 January 2003 06:31]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Mon, 13 January 2003 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wasn't getting up tight! It just looked like it Very Happy
kerr
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Tue, 14 January 2003 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I"ve also noticed things aren't working late at nite. Backups running then or something??
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Tue, 14 January 2003 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kerr wrote on Tue, 14 January 2003 21:38

I"ve also noticed things aren't working late at nite. Backups running then or something??

Hiya kerr,

I think that's due to a problem with the firewall I'm having at the moment, getting lockups in the middle of the night and buggered if I know why... out of interest what time do you find it goes off the air in general?

rgrds

sam
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Tue, 14 January 2003 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would be about 10-10:30 or a bit later! Cant be too sure Rolling Eyes Time really flys around here Confused
kerr
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Tue, 14 January 2003 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I find it from about 11ish onwards. I give up after midnight....
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Tue, 14 January 2003 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hang on... are you saying the site stops altogether or slows down...?

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Tue, 14 January 2003 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stops altogeather Mad
kerr
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Tue, 14 January 2003 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah. Site stops altogether. And you get the Can't Find Page blah blah error message.

But the email notifications still come through. Albeit VERRRRRRY slow, and without the HTML crap. And when I say slow, I mean SLOW!
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Tue, 14 January 2003 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Tue, 14 January 2003 21:55

Stops altogeather Mad

OK yeah that would be the firewall... gotta fix that... Rolling Eyes
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Tue, 14 January 2003 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam wrote on Tue, 14 January 2003 21:26

Cool1 wrote on Tue, 14 January 2003 21:55

Stops altogeather Mad

OK yeah that would be the firewall... gotta fix that... Rolling Eyes

That would be nice Very Happy
kerr
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Sat, 01 February 2003 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Has this been fixed yet Sam?? It was unavailable from midnite last night until about 9:30 this morning for me. Sad
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Sat, 01 February 2003 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry about the outage this morning (Sunday)..

I've swapped in a more powerful firewall to see if that makes any difference, here's hoping. If I still get lockups on this one, I'm going to then try a different type alltogether.

rgrds

sam
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Sun, 02 February 2003 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
St3ve_AE92 wrote on Sat, 05 October 2002 08:36

Nope, im not having any problems. I've been connected for 6days and 2hrs now!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

And about parents and internet speed, i was d/l this thing for my dad, which he wanted pretty quick. it was gonna take 10mins i think. and he was saying can't you do anything to help speed it up, like turn winamp off etc! AHAHAHA ummm, no dad, thats got nothing to do with download speed.

Rolling Eyes

Why does this not surprise me stevan
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Sun, 02 February 2003 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it runs heaps heaps slow for me when I go over my optus cap. even slower than my work laptop which is a 28k modem Nope
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Sun, 02 February 2003 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman wrote on Sun, 02 February 2003 12:53

it runs heaps heaps slow for me when I go over my optus cap. even slower than my work laptop which is a 28k modem Nope

Yeah the optus cap sux... but still better than getting a $600 excess bandwidth bill tho! (Like a guy I know on Telstra BP cable).
Camboy
Occasional Poster

May 2002
icon7.gif  Re: Site Too Slow Mon, 03 February 2003 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keep in mind that Optus transparently caches all http traffic, so any static content will be served from the optus caches until they expire. The exception in this case is the images from the adserver as they expire immediately or in the past so you always have to retrieve the new image.

IE also limits the maximum number of concurrent connections it makes to a server when retrieving a page (each component makes a new connection, unless the client re-uses the connection), this means that at any given time your computer can only receive (4?) items from the toymods page.

Little things can be tweaked but when dealing with dynamic content such as forums and ad servers not much can be done.

As for ISP speed caps, lets not even go there.
sillyca
Regular

February 2003
Re: Site Too Slow Thu, 06 February 2003 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have just signed up - and this board is slow compared to a 4x4 board i post on http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_Modules/phpBB2/i ndex.php

56k dial up - i click on for sale section here and wait 5+ minutes

this is on all sections, and wait 3 minutes for threads

on the other board pages will be fully loaded in 45 sec (dail up here)
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Thu, 06 February 2003 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rubbish to that i say.

im on a 33.6kbps modem here....

just timed how long it takes me to open the Cars for sale section, timed from the second i clicked on it, to when it said Done. This took 24 seconds.

i then timed, in the same way, how long Juzzo's ta22 f/s thread took to load until it said Done. This took 32 seconds.

dunno what you're problem is dude, but i think the forums are hella fast for me! Very Happy

might help if u pause those downloads. Razz
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Thu, 06 February 2003 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know the alltrac forum loads much faster than this one! I'm not sure if its due to the forum software or its the server that its hosted on! Most probably the later.
sillyca
Regular

February 2003
Re: Site Too Slow Thu, 06 February 2003 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
St3ve_AE92 wrote on Thu, 06 February 2003 20:03

rubbish to that i say.

im on a 33.6kbps modem here....

just timed how long it takes me to open the Cars for sale section, timed from the second i clicked on it, to when it said Done. This took 24 seconds.

i then timed, in the same way, how long Juzzo's ta22 f/s thread took to load until it said Done. This took 32 seconds.

dunno what you're problem is dude, but i think the forums are hella fast for me! Very Happy

might help if u pause those downloads. Razz

from pressing the quote button to to typing this took 2mins 43sec - and the progress bar at the bottom didn't finsih by the time i pressed "submit reply" Twisted Evil
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Site Too Slow Thu, 06 February 2003 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Only problems I find is that the site intermittatly goes offline for 5 mins occasionally, usually just once a day...can be in the evening or during the day, happened at about 1pm this arvo. As to the speed of the forums though, well I reckon they are super fast, but thats ADSL for you Very Happy
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Thu, 06 February 2003 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll admit that I don't understand why there is such a large difference in the download speeds... I'm on Optus Cable modem at home, and loading pages is a matter of seconds...

One thing I'm noticing tho, most of the ones complaining about slow speeds seem to be in Queensland... that could be a clue... maybe it's a bandwidth issue between sydney and qld or something..

sam
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Thu, 06 February 2003 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was just having a look at the forum software we use, there's a few updates to be had so I might look at updating to the newest version soon.

One of the things I saw was the ability for users to turn off the IM display, so that might help speed things up a bit.

Don't forget, you can tune the speed of the site by turning off things such as avatars, sigs, and also by making the number of posts that get displayed for each page smaller. These options can all be set under your "Profile" settings.

sam.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Fri, 07 February 2003 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can I ask what the server is that this forum is hosted on? Cause i'm not sure if its actually the page loading that is the problem, I think its the fact that the page takes a bit longer to be generated sometimes. For me anyway!
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon2.gif  Re: Site Too Slow Fri, 07 February 2003 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you look down the bottom, you should see a message that says something like this:

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.31865394115448 seconds

Granted 0.3s is not snappy, but it's not that slow either...
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Fri, 07 February 2003 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i gotta feeling sam could be on to something with this queensland bottle neck issue!
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Site Too Slow Fri, 07 February 2003 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah its not to bad (another o@h user)

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.15468001365662 seconds

[Updated on: Fri, 07 February 2003 03:15]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Site Too Slow Wed, 12 February 2003 03:16 Go to previous message
0.33173000812531 seconds And I'm in Perth Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply