Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
gtr_gaga
Regular

May 2004
20 valve stuff... please help Wed, 04 August 2004 09:50 Go to next message
Just a quick question... When putting a 20valve 4age into an ae86, Is is better to buy the front cut or jsut the motor itself.

Can you use the ecu off the 16 valve 4age and all the components off that etc or do I need to buy the front cut

THANKS

Gavin
  Send a private message to this user    
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: 20 valve stuff... please help Wed, 04 August 2004 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ecu doesnt match need 20v one

just the engine, loom+ecu and ancillaries will be enough
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 20 valve stuff... please help Wed, 04 August 2004 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you have to carefully consider how youre going to mount the engine with the 20v distributor in place. Unless you've got plans for external coil packs, consider this carefully as it could start getting expensive.

I *think* its illegal in WA to knock bits of the firewall.
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: 20 valve stuff... please help Thu, 05 August 2004 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheaper to buy just motor

u wont use half the stuff in a half cut
gearbox ,drive shafts etc
if u want to use the stock computer u need to mod the firewall so id just buy motor and aftermarket ecu which would work out just about as much as a half cut anyway

motor $6-700
microtech with coils $1200
mr_corolla
Regular

Banned User

November 2004
    none
Re: 20 valve stuff... please help Fri, 07 January 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no way man you need a full fornt cut bro couse all the weiring and ect are heaps different and aslo all the sensors and ect so better get a front cut more better
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 20 valve stuff... please help Fri, 07 January 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
theres no easy way to fit a 20v to an ae86

the dizzy hits meanin u need to mod the firewall meanin the engineers might not like it

other way is to run an aftermarket ecu with multiple coils
only prob is it makes the job 1500 to 2000 dearer

then the enginner might not like an aftermarket ecu

best find an enginner thats easy and ask him

u dont need a front cut
its bullshit

unless u want brakes

just get the 20v engine
and if u want std loom get the complete engine loom from fusebox to the ecu
and make sure u get the coil ignitor etc unit too
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: 20 valve stuff... please help Fri, 07 January 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://members.optusnet.com.au/dliconverter/

This kit lets you use coilpacks on the stock ECU so you can gut and cap the original distributor.

Still doesn't help with the lack of firewall clearance for the 20V thermostat housing.
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 20 valve stuff... please help Fri, 07 January 2005 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get an 'Engine Package'.

It comes with Complete engine, ECU, Coil and Loom etc. All the stuff you need to make it go without all the superfluous shite.

There is a kit available to delete the distributor factory distributor cap and run a pair of coils instead with the factory ECU Rex believes it is around the $150. You just need to supply the coils.

Keep this in mind because in this case factory management is better than any bargain basement aftermarket ECU
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 20 valve stuff... please help Fri, 07 January 2005 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some months ago, I started designing a circuit to do this for someone, and then I found that at least 2 others had beaten me to it.

I don't see much use in a frontcut though, so long as you've got all the major parts needed to make it run, missing/cut wires etc. aren't that hard to replace.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: 20 valve stuff... please help Tue, 11 January 2005 16:10 Go to previous message
thanks heaps for the link Jason, as for the water thermostat problem I dont consider it a big issue, I don't think its that hard to make a new one. I am remaking mine now and selling my old one off as part of a RWD conversion kit, it should sell easly.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:does any1 know if jzz30 1jz mounting brackets are compatible with a jza70 crossmember?
Next Topic:Ol Mans Camry Playing games!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 04:20:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053219795227051 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.