Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
more engineering Qs - SYD Sat, 07 August 2004 10:21 Go to next message
peoples i went to the RTA site and read through one of the artticles

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/v si/vsi06.pdf

and it states that you do not require and engineers certificate if the engine swap is less than 15% of the maximum the car came in

therefore wouldnt that mean if im changeing from a 2T to a 3TGTE then i dont need an engineers cert cause the change in size is only 12.5% from 1.6L TO 1.8L

now it doesnt mention what percentage increase a turbo would give and therefore i can only understand that it wouldnt be considered.

plesae clarify if i am wrong?

NOW I AM NOT TRYING TO BE A SMARTARSE OR DO ANY RUN AROUNDS SO PLESE NO COMMENTS LIKE 'JUST DO IT' OR 'ASK AN ENGINEER' OR CRAP LIKE THAT. I WOULD APPRECIATE GENUINE COMMENTS SO I CAN GET A BETTER UNDERSTANDING. its the weekend and i cant ask an engineer ATM
  Send a private message to this user    
rb20det
Regular

July 2004
Re: more engineering Qs - SYD Sat, 07 August 2004 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but the engine your upgrading to is a turbo engine, which means u do need a engineers cert
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: more engineering Qs - SYD Sun, 08 August 2004 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont quote me but i believe that the capacity considered for forced induction is engine capacity (bore * stroke) * 1.5

so your 2L 3T would be considered 3L for purposes of registration. it is in the documentation on the rta website somewhere. probaly in the one you found that info from.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: more engineering Qs - SYD Sun, 08 August 2004 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah thats true i see the reasoning there now... iv downloaded all the docs on conversiones and engineering from the RTA site so im gonna go through them all over the next few days but from what i have read they are so VAGUE!!!!!!!!!!! they dont go to any specifics and makes it very hard to figure out exactly what they want.
rb20det
Regular

July 2004
Re: more engineering Qs - SYD Mon, 09 August 2004 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also ur new car will have to apply to the emissions restrictions at the time the engine was produced ie unleaded filler cap, cat converter, carbon canister list goes on. the 15% increase in capactity is only there for if u need to rebore your engine when rebuilding it ect. other wise my torana with its rb30dett wont need to be engineered.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: more engineering Qs - SYD Mon, 09 August 2004 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you bastard Crying or Very Sad j/k

got the cat and i know i dont need anything else, prob unleaded filler cap only though
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: more engineering Qs - SYD Mon, 09 August 2004 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
15% capacity, OR 15% more power.
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: more engineering Qs - SYD Mon, 09 August 2004 04:48 Go to previous message
the capacity difference is in exact CC of the engine number. not 1.6L to 1.8L, that's incorrect, the right way is the difference from 1587cc to 1997cc (or whatever they really are, cant remember, cbf looking it up)

the capacity is related to the engine number, not the bore and stroke. my 4k is technically not an owner-certified mod in my car, because it's 2cc over 15%, but it's still registered as original capacity, so that's fine as far as the RTA know

there is a clause in that document about "reconditioning within manufacturer's limits" and that includes oversized pistons. you can usually do whatever you like to the internals and get away with it. you can go stuff a 3T crank and oversized pistons in your 2T so it's over 2L and it's still considered a ~1600cc 2T for registration purposes

if you change engine configurations such as number of cylinders or forced induction, you need engineering certification. turbo and supercharged engines are considered 1.5 x their n/a capacity, so a turbo 1000cc engine is considered 1500cc for engineering purposes. rotaries are double their capacity, a 13B is really about 2.6L as far as the RTA care

there is no definate increase in power figures until you need to upgrade brakes or get things engineered, it is mentioned in that document as something like "if it needs it, you should do it". for example, i'd be pretty certain that i could get defected for having a pretty worked 4k and stock brakes in a ke25, if i ever get pulled over for it, brake pads smoking, skinny 8" discs glowing orange and all that Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Running really rich...
Next Topic:Sixworks Web Site - lots of wiring diagrams
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Sep 8 02:58:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054659843444824 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.