Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon5.gif  Bitrates for car audio MP3s Mon, 16 September 2002 05:01 Go to next message

Bitrate for car audio[ 21 vote(s) ]
1.128 2 / 10%
2.128 VBR 2 / 10%
3.160 1 / 5%
4.160 VBR 2 / 10%
5.192 7 / 33%
6.192 VBR 3 / 14%
7.224 0 / 0%
8.224 VBR 0 / 0%
9.256 0 / 0%
10.256 VBR 0 / 0%
11.320 1 / 5%
12.320 VBR 3 / 14%

Hey guys,

Bought an mp3 head unit on Saturday. Was wondering what sorta bitrates you think is good for car audio.

I'm not really that fussed since I've got shit speakers (still got the 3.5" stockers). Just a curiousity thing...

I was encoding at 128kbps (192 for my techno) but have started to use 160 variable bit rate for my normal stuff... Don't know if 160 is overkill or not, I suppose it just depends on how many songs I want to fit onto a CD...

Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Bitrates for car audio MP3s Mon, 16 September 2002 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll be needing at least 160 if it is going to be amped in any way! Otherwise you'll get a wishwashy noise(white noise).
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Bitrates for car audio MP3s Mon, 16 September 2002 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VBR at an avg of 160kbits will be fine.

I encode all my MP3s using LAME at a VBR avg of 185 and i cant tell that from a CD (i have a good HIFI system and good ears).

Although, i dont encode MP3s anymore.
Ogg Vorbis is the way of the future.

BTW... anyone who prefers CBR over VBR needs thier heads checked Wink

[Updated on: Mon, 16 September 2002 15:03]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Bitrates for car audio MP3s Mon, 16 September 2002 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah. All my CDs are encoded on Ogg...

But my head unit doesn't play them. Sad Sad Sad Sad

[Updated on: Tue, 17 September 2002 00:05]

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Bitrates for car audio MP3s Tue, 17 September 2002 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
192 nark. no less. 128 sounded shitty on my old sony i had
cam_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
haha, funny little head!
Re: Bitrates for car audio MP3s Tue, 17 September 2002 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm looking at getting an mp3 head unit myself. anyone reccomend a decent one at a good price?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Bitrates for car audio MP3s Tue, 17 September 2002 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is my one.

http://www.jvc-australia.com/product2.asp?859

I bought it at JB HiFi. Talked them down to $440. RRP is $529.
Reads mp3 layer 1 and layer 2, reads ID3 v1, has a remote, has a front AUX input, got a three band equalizer, 4V outputs, RCA outs for left and right, 2 line RCA for the subb00fa.

One gripe is that it only displays 8 characters at once so song names are hard to read (they have to scroll).

But, for the price, it's got everything that I wanted.
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Bitrates for car audio MP3s Tue, 17 September 2002 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does it have BBE II Nark?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon5.gif  Re: Bitrates for car audio MP3s Tue, 17 September 2002 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WTF is BBE II?!?!?

Re: Bitrates for car audio MP3s Tue, 17 September 2002 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JVC, KD-LH2000, RRP $749 but I got it for $630 at JB HiFi. Has everything you would ever need. Go to www.jvc-australia.com to find it.

I have played 128 - 190kbs on my system that consists of $2000+ worth of speakers and amps. All, I can say is 128 is fine, if it is not then your head unit / speakers / amps, sucks! If you own anything that is Sony, then that'll probably be your problem, so get it replaced!

justinharwoodran
Regular

May 2002
Re: Bitrates for car audio MP3s Tue, 17 September 2002 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm thinking about buying one of those JVC MP3 players for my daily driver. I have the software on my computer to covert the music into MP3 format but I have some questions. What's "VBR" and what's "ORG VORBIS"

Thanks guys

Justin

[Updated on: Tue, 17 September 2002 08:45]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Bitrates for car audio MP3s Tue, 17 September 2002 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VBR is variable bit rate!

Re: Bitrates for car audio MP3s Tue, 17 September 2002 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VBR - Variable Bit Rate, which means that the quality of the file changes during playback. Ultimately this leads to better quality files at the same size, since some parts of the file could be compressed at 128kbs with no difference than at 320kbs.

Ogg Vorbis - Another audio compression format, similar to MP3, but it is not patented so that it is easier, cheaper etc.

I don't know about Ogg Vorbis replacing MP3, it is like the arguement that Linux will replace Windows... MP3 already has the structure and support, Ogg Vorbis doesn't. I wouldn't pay any attention to comments about Ogg Vorbis being the main stream in the near future.

Another problem with Ogg Vorbis, is if it is open sourced, then changes will be made all the time and a standard will be hard to nail down. Stick with MP3 for now, especially for car audio, and definately don't touch any WMA car head units.

If all else fails and you get an MP3 head unit, you can always convert to MP3 before you burn your CD's anyway Smile

justinharwoodran
Regular

May 2002
Re: Bitrates for car audio MP3s Tue, 17 September 2002 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Libby, nice and easy to understand.

Justin
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Bitrates for car audio MP3s Wed, 18 September 2002 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I think you'll find a general move away from mp3 since they're now asking for royalties not only for encoders, but decoders too!

Ogg Vorbis has easily outpaced mp3 in all listening tests that I've read up on. The only thing close to it (and sometimes beating it) is mp3Pro.

The Ogg format specs have been set, so I wouldn't worry about it changing. There's no reason that an open format will change more often than a closed format, a format is a format.

There are quite a few new players that play ogg now, and hopefully that trend will continue. Ogg won't replace mp3, but hopefully it'll be mainstream enough for you to have a choice...

Re: Bitrates for car audio MP3s Wed, 18 September 2002 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Open sourced does in general have greater changes since different people will get the code and make their own versions. Each will want their version to be the main stream codec. This is why there is sooooo many versions of Linux running around. Redhat made theirs, SuSE have their own, Mandrake etc...

Don't get me wrong, I never said that MP3 was better than Ogg, I'm just saying it is a long way away yet, and not something you should be concerned about at the moment. I also have a JVC S785 MP3 player and it was $360 at JB HiFi, haggled down from the RRP of $400.

I never thought I would own a JVC headunit but they have lived up to expectations and even beaten them!! But, personally the KD-LH2000 is by far the best...and you can't go past a Sub outputs!

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Bitrates for car audio MP3s Wed, 18 September 2002 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah, there may be lots of different encoders (look how many there are for mp3s), but the format won't change. The format is controlled by a single body (Ziph) and they're not gonna let it get fragmented.

Just like with Linux, there are many distros, but if you download source code for a Linux program, you will be able to compile it no matter what distro you're running. That's because there's a standard base for Linux.
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Bitrates for car audio MP3s Wed, 18 September 2002 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the dvd stacker for my kenwood tv screen is meant to play mp3 disks but i've heard of a crack for the ps2 that will let it play vcd and allow mp3's as well so i'm hanging out for that

that'll save me buying that dvd stacker it's very expensive

[Updated on: Wed, 18 September 2002 09:08]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon5.gif  Re: Bitrates for car audio MP3s Thu, 19 September 2002 08:50 Go to previous message
A PS/2 in your car?! WHY?!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:was that u Anhar?
Next Topic:MA 61 Supra
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:19:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065720081329346 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.