Toymods » General Car Talk » IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 12:00

Oh, believe me. If it was my decision, I'd be getting the IS200 and turboing it. There's not even a choice in it any more (now that I've driven the others).
But this car is for the woman. I'm trying my hardest to convince her, but it's hard when she cares about looks more than handling... And the GT looks better.

Looks like a done deal nigga. Perhaps some browsing around the catalogues of APS, STI, etc etc. in a couple of years, eh? Number one with a bullet would have to be an adjustable centre diff out of an STI WRX... . . .

I think we'll give the front diff... . . . ... 25% of the torque today Evil or Very Mad
  Send a private message to this user    
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 12:00

Oh, believe me. If it was my decision, I'd be getting the IS200 and turboing it. There's not even a choice in it any more (now that I've driven the others).
But this car is for the woman. I'm trying my hardest to convince her, but it's hard when she cares about looks more than handling... And the GT looks better.

you think so?
i like the looks of the altezza better, it also looks more expensive Smile
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CamryMan wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 13:28

Having read about quality issues of the Subaru in the past I would tend to favour an IS200 or Accord, if the Accord is made in Japan and not South East Asia.

Subarus have a very good record actually!

Jaguar, X-Type 2.1 V6
Volkswagen, Bora 2.8 4Motion
Volvo, S40 2.5 T5
Mazda, RX-8

Those are out of my $55k price limit.

I actually like the look of the Mazda 6.

I don't. It was OK when it first came out, but it's aged rapidly.

The V6 Camry Sportivo doesn't fair too badly in the power stakes at 145Kw.

Camry is a bit too big for us. The father-in-law has one already anyway and it's not that fun to drive.

I think the Lexus ES300 with VVti are at 158kw. Might find a used one at the price range you are after.

It'd have to be pretty old. Plus I don't think it'll be a good drive.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shovelnose wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 14:04

Better a flat 180 degree (not v) four than the weezy dog of a 2 litre 6 in the IS200.

Hey, none of this hanging shit on the 1G! Laughing

I actually don't like the Subaru boxers. They sound too rough. I like smooth engines that scream rather than course engines that roar.

st184 sillycar wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 14:16

Looks like a done deal nigga. Perhaps some browsing around the catalogues of APS, STI, etc etc. in a couple of years, eh? Number one with a bullet would have to be an adjustable centre diff out of an STI WRX... . . .

I think we'll give the front diff... . . . ... 25% of the torque today Evil or Very Mad

Nah, I don't think I'll ever modify the GT if we get it.

Adjustable centre would be fuggin awesome though! Send everything to the back! Very Happy

Jag7799 wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 14:24

you think so?

Yeah, I think the IS200 has a more "classic" look to it. 10 years from now, it'll still look OK. Whereas the Liberty's looks will probably age faster.

[Updated on: Tue, 31 August 2004 05:00]

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 14:57

shovelnose wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 14:04

Better a flat 180 degree (not v) four than the weezy dog of a 2 litre 6 in the IS200.

Hey, none of this hanging shit on the 1G! Laughing

I actually don't like the Subaru boxers. They sound too rough. I like smooth engines that scream rather than course engines that roar.

st184 sillycar wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 14:16

Nah, I don't think I'll ever modify the GT if we get it.

Adjustable centre would be fuggin awesome though! Send everything to the back! Very Happy

Jag7799 wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 14:24

you think so?

Yeah, I think the IS200 has a more "classic" look to it. 10 years from now, it'll still look OK. Whereas the Liberty's looks will probably age faster.

considering it already has a 1g in it.. couldnt u pretty easily put a 1g gte for minimal cost.. would give it a decent increase in power and torque and be a cheap and quick alternative
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 15:47

considering it already has a 1g in it.. couldnt u pretty easily put a 1g gte for minimal cost.. would give it a decent increase in power and torque and be a cheap and quick alternative

We've been through this earlier in this thread. It'd a great option if it wasn't illegal.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 15:54

Jag7799 wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 15:47

We've been through this earlier in this thread. It'd a great option if it wasn't illegal.

oh, because of older engine in newer car?.. in that case u couldnt do a 1jz or 1uz either?
there has to be some way/loophole around it.
or you could just not engineer it.. run the 1g gte with the 1g-fe cam covers(if they fit?)
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 14:55

Having read about quality issues of the Subaru in the past I would tend to favour an IS200 or Accord, if the Accord is made in Japan and not South East Asia.

Subarus have a very good record actually!

Could have changed but they use to have gearbox problems and other funny noise, from what I can gather from the Americans. Subaru issue also pop up in the notgoodenough site from time to time as well. I think that editor from Autospeed had a Liberty at one stage and wasn't overly happy with it.

Nark wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 14:55

Jaguar, X-Type 2.1 V6
Volkswagen, Bora 2.8 4Motion
Volvo, S40 2.5 T5
Mazda, RX-8

Those are out of my $55k price limit.

Rechecking again

Jaguar, X-Type 2.1 V6 $53,950
Volkswagen, Bora 2.8 4Motion $54,800
Volvo, S40 2.5 T5 $59,950
Mazda, RX-8 $56,670

The last two could be bought new near at your price range. Go the RX 8, you know you want it!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Subaru's dont have gearbox problems, people trying to do 6000rpm clutch dumps are what break them. Subaru has gone to remedy this with the STi box to make it almost bulletproof.

The Subaru engines don't sound as rough as they used to either, they change the exhaust manifold which made them lose a lot of that thump.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 17:12

The Subaru's dont have gearbox problems, people trying to do 6000rpm clutch dumps are what break them. Subaru has gone to remedy this with the STi box to make it almost bulletproof.

The Subaru engines don't sound as rough as they used to either, they change the exhaust manifold which made them lose a lot of that thump.

i liked that thump
and the only reason they do 6000 rpm launches is cause they cant win any other way Razz
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isn't there a sugercharger bolt on kit or something for a 1G-FE? Or am I thinking of a factory 1G-FZE in another car?
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CamryMan wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 17:18

Isn't there a sugercharger bolt on kit or something for a 1G-FE? Or am I thinking of a factory 1G-FZE in another car?

might be thinking of a 1g gze?
Serran
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Did you read about the prototype IS 430 in Germany? It's a same they aren't building it.

slightly OT, but that car is a work of art. Probably something along the same level as this, is an altezza v8 of which our club will allow speed magazine to feature it in an oz exclusive in the very near future Very Happy

79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought all the GT libertys were Auto... my dad got something else because he couldn't get a GT in manual, thought STI's were ugly as all hell... and Evo 8's are too small...
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Serran wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 18:25

Did you read about the prototype IS 430 in Germany? It's a same they aren't building it.

slightly OT, but that car is a work of art. Probably something along the same level as this, is an altezza v8 of which our club will allow speed magazine to feature it in an oz exclusive in the very near future Very Happy

saw that in zoom? or something... absolutely astonishing
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 17:12

Even if they've made them less than they used to, they're still rough and I don't like the sound.

CamryMan wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 17:18

There's a TRD supercharger kit which costs $7k or so.
Weigh that up against the $8.5k drive in drive out price of a turbo conversion and it doesn't really make sense.

79rollaboy wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 18:35

I thought all the GT libertys were Auto... my dad got something else because he couldn't get a GT in manual, thought STI's were ugly as all hell... and Evo 8's are too small...

The manuals have just been released. Smile
The 3.0R-B is a 6 speed manual too... GT is only 5 speed.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh ok sweet as then... oh well my dad bought a CV8-R 6 speed
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
U should go for a STI Type T25... theyre a 2.5 litre turbo... with around 250kw... they look less bulky as a 2.0L STI... theres a story on them in the latest Speed mag... not to sure if they are being released here though...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The ones doing the 6000rpm launches are the full-sick bros. You have to get over the fact you're trying to shove power through all four wheels, it'd be hard to do without bogging down.

They don't seem to be short on power though, EVO VIII is faster to 100kph, but slower over the quarter once the EJ20 is on song.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 20:09

The ones doing the 6000rpm launches are the full-sick bros. You have to get over the fact you're trying to shove power through all four wheels, it'd be hard to do without bogging down.

They don't seem to be short on power though, EVO VIII is faster to 100kph, but slower over the quarter once the EJ20 is on song.

the only reason the evo isnt quicker over the full 1/4 is cause it doesent allow you to do high rpm dumps on stock management.. you cant dump from stopto 6000 rpm cause it wont allow you
can be overcome though by just edging the tiniest bit forward
and the jap evo does a 1/4 in 13 flat
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jap Evo also has more power Smile The launch isn't causing a problem, it has the STi over the 0-100kph time. The STi just doesn't have the same bottom end power cos its majorly oversquare and the Evo is undersquare.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 20:20

Jap Evo also has more power Smile The launch isn't causing a problem, it has the STi over the 0-100kph time. The STi just doesn't have the same bottom end power cos its majorly oversquare and the Evo is undersquare.

doesent the aus evo 8 get the old 5 speed aswell?.. instead of the 6 speed in jap one?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That to, but it's not going to make a huge difference.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Wed, 01 September 2004 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually, it could if you have to snatch a gear just before the end of the quarter.
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Wed, 01 September 2004 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark, Its actually TTE (Toyota Team Europe)that make the Supercharger kit, which, won't void Lexus Warranty (I know for a fact UK, not sure with Aus) There is one guy in the Altezza Club (Serran off this forum) doing this conversion as we speak. According to stats, it should drop 0-100 times from 10.* sec, to 7.01. What im trying to say here, go the IS200 hahaha. Also AVO have a turbo kit avalible, one guy in the club had it (Sold it, for a 1J conv!) and that bumped power to 154rwkw. Also, think about whats going to hold more value, in say 5 years..
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Wed, 01 September 2004 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KOFFEE-BLACK wrote on Wed, 01 September 2004 12:07

Nark, Its actually TTE (Toyota Team Europe)that make the Supercharger kit, which, won't void Lexus Warranty (I know for a fact UK, not sure with Aus) There is one guy in the Altezza Club (Serran off this forum) doing this conversion as we speak. According to stats, it should drop 0-100 times from 10.* sec, to 7.01. What im trying to say here, go the IS200 hahaha. Also AVO have a turbo kit avalible, one guy in the club had it (Sold it, for a 1J conv!) and that bumped power to 154rwkw. Also, think about whats going to hold more value, in say 5 years..

just buy the altezza... bring it home
before your missus speaks say "shut up woman"
and then slap her
lol
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Wed, 01 September 2004 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KOFFEE-BLACK wrote on Wed, 01 September 2004 12:07

Dude, check out this post of mine:
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=42518#msg_num_32
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Wed, 01 September 2004 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So, your going for it?? Laughing
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Wed, 01 September 2004 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd love to..... Smile
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Wed, 01 September 2004 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Wed, 01 September 2004 14:59

I'd love to..... Smile

slap your wife.. or get the alezza or both?
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Wed, 01 September 2004 07:53 Go to previous message
79rollaboy wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 19:01

Oh ok sweet as then... oh well my dad bought a CV8-R 6 speed

The red one ?
Whaddya think of the red trim on the dash? A bit o-t-t imho.

Nice rims tho, eh?

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:A Hello and a few q's....
Next Topic:Wheel Spacers
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 16:44:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006540060043335 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.