Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Still having 18rgeu problems Thu, 19 August 2004 00:59 Go to next message
Symptoms: Car runs rich (or not at all) when AFM is unplugged and therefore fuel pump is running. Idles well on fuel that is primed in the rail from starting, with fuel pump not running.

Replaced injectors and fuel pressure regulator.

Could not having reliefs cut into the head for the injectors cause these symptoms?
  Send a private message to this user    
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Still having 18rgeu problems Thu, 19 August 2004 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, the reliefs would not cause this problem.

I have seen a problem where the pump worked fine but there were still fuel delivery issues.

When the engine started, it ran perfectly on the fuel pressure in the rail, but after a while it ran like shit and then stopped.

Does this sound like your problem?

The problem in this case was that the fuel hose from the pump to the rail was pinched and could not flow enough.

Don't know if this helps or not.

May also have computer issues, or a shit AFM.

What ECU/AFM set up are you running?
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Still having 18rgeu problems Thu, 19 August 2004 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could be the problem, although the same problem also happens when I short the fuel control pins on the AFM plug. So I don't think its AFM related. I'm using an 18rgeu ECU and AFM.

It won't start at all now, with the fuel pump running, but when it did, I was under the impression that it was running rich, there was lots of black smoke.

Still starts with residual pressure and no pump running though.

One thing though, I've killed one VL fuel pump on my setup, just from a couple of starts, and a bit of idling, so I have another. Maybe something in my fuel system is overstressing the fuel pump. Either that or I had a dud to start with.

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Still having 18rgeu problems Thu, 19 August 2004 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's simple enough to find out if fuel pressure is your problem; just hook up a pressure gauge to the fuel rail and see what it does when the pump is running. The thread for the cold start injector is perfect for most oil/fuel pressure gauges so it's easy to do.
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Still having 18rgeu problems Thu, 19 August 2004 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not anymore...the thread was stripped so it's now blocked off with that chemical epoxy stuff. I'll have to try to find an inline gauge or apaptor (if they exist), or drill out the crap and retap the thread.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Still having 18rgeu problems Thu, 19 August 2004 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can put a brass T-piece with suitable barbed fittings on the hose just before the fuel rail, that will work just as well.
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Still having 18rgeu problems Fri, 27 August 2004 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive been having the same problem with my 2tgeu

but in mine it seams to be killing spark plugs, thus not sparking enough to burn all the feul

ive already killed 3 sets of plugs but they just seam to get fowled so wen u clean then they work perfectly again

neways thats my 2 cents
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Still having 18rgeu problems Sat, 28 August 2004 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matt, if it's stil running rich, and the fuel pressure is right, i'd:
check that the temp senders (coolant and air) are working
check that the signal from the coil is good (and coming from - side of coil?).

if the ECU think's the car is uber cold it will increase the fuel.

you might want to check all your intake plumbing as well - air leak could be a source of problem.
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Still having 18rgeu problems Sat, 28 August 2004 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, i'll be getting round to those things hopefully soon, have to pull it all off again though, I think one of the O rings may have been misalligned and squashed, getting much leakage from an injector at the moment.

RA40Celica
Regular

June 2002
  chris_rg@jabber.org
Re: Still having 18rgeu problems Sun, 29 August 2004 03:09 Go to previous message

FWIW i haven't cut reliefs for the injectors in my head and it runs sweet.

when you killed the vl fuel pump, did it get starved of fuel?, are you running a surge tank + lift pump??

anyway check your fuel pressure for a start... then look at other things
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Entering Security code?!?!
Next Topic:18rg Twin Solex - Quick carb question?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Sep 29 05:30:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064599514007568 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.