Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 22-R :: what cars ??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
22-R :: what cars ?? Wed, 18 September 2002 11:01 Go to next message
anyone tell me what cars the 22-R came in??

cheers ed
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Wed, 18 September 2002 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
22R? or 22RE?

22RE came in the RA65 Celica and a bunch of Hiluxes.

I'd imagine the 22R came in Hiluxes and stuff too. Very torquey engine.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Wed, 18 September 2002 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in hiluxes too? shit ok. torquey huh? any details or links where i might find any specs? whats performance like stock? any easy upgrades? anything commonly done to these? stock carburettor size/type?... etc etc

cheers
ed
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Wed, 18 September 2002 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 22R is clearly one of the most potent 4 cylinder engines ever produced by Toyota or any car manufacturer for that matter. Despite sacrificing a clear 600 cc in displacement to the Porsche 3l 4 cylinder found in the 968, it rivals it in terms of performance at every level.

The 22R came in both fuel injected and carbed form. Either will produce masses of power. It revs breathlessly to its redline of 5500 rpm with ease. The bulky conrods ensure that the bottom end can withstand such an incredible strain. A flow restricting exhaust is employed by Toyota to limit this engine's outrageous potential. However, one enjoys the 22R for its torquey nature, hence its use in trucks. Whilst the head in standard form is asthmatic with extensive refashioning and the aid of a large turbocharger it can be made to flow over 150 hp. True luxury.

Unfortunately, Toyota enjoyed little success with the 22R, only ever winning one race with one (and by a non works team). One must ask why given that the engine has so much potential.

[Updated on: Wed, 18 September 2002 11:43]

humble
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Wed, 18 September 2002 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shite!!!

Do you think anyone will be willing to swap a 2JZ for a 22R?

I can't believe Toyota restricted something that would be an absolute powerhouse!!!

Probably they wanted to sell newer (and by the looks of it, tamer) engines instead of the 22R!!! Go figure...

Looks like a conspiracy to me...

So anyone up for a trade?

Is there a VVT-i version of the 22R?

Cheers
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Wed, 18 September 2002 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, I dont think your paying attention...there could be a brand new vvtLi version of the 22RE, and it STILL wouldn't outperform the awe-inspiring original...
Its all there, in big low-revving form.....oh jeez, better change my underwear...

I wish I had an RA65 so I could sample its glory Crying or Very Sad
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Wed, 18 September 2002 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why are you guys taking the piss...
im serious. theres an ra65 which im looking at. originally i was checking it out for a tailgate, but now im thinking there might be a bit of fun to be had makin it go a little better.

has anyone here done one up? how well do they go? figures?? im thinking maybe a webber of an old falcon or something, new exhaust + headers, and a bit of a head shave to bring the comp up. 98RON fuel massive advance and she'd be fine. GT youre right, it doesnt rev high, but that keeps it drivable in the real world. stop taking the piss out of something you dont understand.

its all abou torque, not power, so give it a brake yeah?

cheers
ed
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Wed, 18 September 2002 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
22R-E came out in the RA65, corona (RT141??) avante and some non avante "CS" models

22R-C came out in 4WD hilux dunno what years but we've owned a 1988 and a 1996 4WD hilux and they both had the 22R-C
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Wed, 18 September 2002 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone reckon this engine would beat an 18-RG? whats the low down on how rare they are? ive seen RG's for about $950 from wreckers and im quite keen in a few months for one definately, so im open to all options. Anyone know a approx. price? Are the 22r's SOHC or DOHC? id suspect theyre single with the low rev-band(??). but this is all good, i have a single cam 18R and i love low end power.
Would a 22R in carbie form (or injection) fit straight into ra28 mounts? ie does it have the same block as an 18R? would it want a w57?

Cheers
Guy

--------------------

BlackRA28
|SLEEK~77| <--- i want these plate's Very Happy
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Wed, 18 September 2002 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rare? The 22R is possibly the most common Toyota engine ever - it was in production for almost 20 years! You won't have any problems finding one.

Note that despite its large capacity, it doesn't have much power - they're around the 110hp mark, which is significantly less than an 18R-G. Sure you can get more power out of them with a lot of work, but the same applies to pretty much any engine. The cylinder head is deliberately designed to be restrictive - it has "swirl chambers" which encourage low-rpm torque but limit its ultimate flow potential. Note that it is a SOHC crossflow design.

Ed, I wouldn't waste my time if I were you. A stock RA65 is fine for what it is, but don't go trying to turn it into a fire-breathing monster - there are better ways of doing that!
Pumpkin
Regular

Toymods Board Member

September 2002
Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Thu, 19 September 2002 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about athe 22R-TE?? They had those in the U.S.. I know they haven't got a huge amount of power.. But it's something to look into maybe??
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Thu, 19 September 2002 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No. They had tiny turbos and a very poor exhaust manifold design which actually has the oil line cast into the manifold itself. Even in the US no-one really bothers with these things - you pretty much have to replace all the turbo-related bits anyway, so you might as well start with a 22R-E!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Thu, 19 September 2002 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is hard to justify the added complexity of the 22RTE when the carbed 22R is a formidable powerplant already. The 22R is a popular upgrade for the Coaster bus, far exceeding the potential of the 2L diesel engine. Why turbo it if it already goes this well?
Ed, as you know 5500 rpm is a very high redline.....compared to other popular engines such as the Ford 250 (we all know how good that is), it exceeds the Ford's redline by over 1000 rpm, and produces nearly as much torque just off idle.
The 22R represents the pinnacle of Toyota engineering....did you know that the Toyota F1 engine shares the same sump bolts as the 22R? That's where the dream began!
celicamad85
Forums Junkie

Banned member

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Thu, 19 September 2002 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gday

may as well add my two cents

i am probably one of few people who has seriously modified a 22re in australia, the reason behind this is that they are really only truck motors until you start dropping big bucks on them, when i finally get around to finishing it off i would have spent about $2500 and hope to see around 180hp at the flywheel, though a computer 'dyno' program said 260hp i think that is a bit far fetched....ultimately made for low rpm torque but i have shifted the curve to produce low to upper mid range torque, not a race car but a nice car to drive none the less

like Norbie says, the heads are very restrictive and in america they swap the heads in favour of a 20r head which flows more in stock form but not by too much

anyway that is pretty good money spent for such power i believe as i wanted to modify something which not too many people have done before

i am also considering supercharging it but not just yet as i recently bought a house so it will be a while away now

in stock form a 18rg will EAT a 22re for breakfast, even if you spent the same amount of money on both motors the 18rg will be out in front always as it is just a better designed motor

cheers
wayne
humble
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Thu, 19 September 2002 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow!!! Same sump bolts as the F1!!! I can't believe people are not lining up to get this engine... And only 2500 in mods!!! I think people should get to know this engine better because all the people seem to have wasted their money on 7M-GTE's and JZ series motors when they could have gotten an awesome firebreathing monster of a 22-R (plus the mods) for the same price (or a little bit more perhaps)!!!

So is anyone up for a swap?

It wouldn't be too much of a drama to take the 5M-GE out of an MA61 and put in the 22R would it?

Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Thu, 19 September 2002 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gianttomato and Humble - fuck off. The potential of the 2XR goes well beyond 150 horses. I know someone with a turbo very streetable 300HP 22RE they regularly use for autocrossing. For your information, 150 horses and a nice fat torque curve can be easilly found on a regular 22RE by doing the exhaust/filter, a little head porting and a stage 2 TRD/delta/crane whatever cam, while keeping the engine's renound bulletproof reliability. If they are so utterly crap, why do so many people in the states bother working them? There is a racing company over there www.lcengineering.com that ONLY sell 2xR parts.

No, the 2xr engine's ain't powerhouses, they are SOHC engines that don't rev sky high and make a shitload of torque and will continue to do for for thousands and thousands of ks before a rebuild - and so what?

Ed-ma61 - The 22R heads have a swirl port design and don't flow so well. In the States, they put a 20R head (2.2litres) on a tall block (ie pre '85) 22RE block to make hybrid engines. The 20R head bolts right on, breathes a lot better than the 22R/E one (even with it's stock smaller valves), and as a nice bonus you get an instant 10:1 CR. The stock cam in the 2xR engines is also poor - drop a nicer cam in, maybee some nice carbs and you're away! EFI hybrids can be made too, but the head has to be welded/tapped to suit the EFI manifold. Unfortunately we don't really get the 20R here, and most 21Rs are of the swirl-port design too. (apparently the early 21R heads are like the 20R). I don't think we got the tall blocks here at all. I think 22RE heads can be made to flow as well as a 20R, it's just that the 20R does it stock whearas on the 22RE you have to invest in the head porting. From what I hear, the key to getting power out of the 22RE is in the head. You can go ahead and drop a cam in, but it's advised you have at leats a little porting done first.

My plans are to get my head ported & polished with maybee some +1mm oversize valves, a stage two cam and a larger Supra AFM to really wake up the engine. No, it won't be a 1GGTE, but it won't have cost me that much either.

FWIW there is a monster ra60 on Ebay at the moment with a highly worked 21R-C of all things!

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Thu, 19 September 2002 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holy shit, somebody actually went to town on a 21R-C...now that has to be polishing a turd...I mean, sure its probably quick, but have you seen the pics? He spent $14000 on doing stuff to it, and guarantee its not as fast as a 1GGTE...could have done a 3SGTE swap for that... No No No
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Thu, 19 September 2002 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan wrote on Thu, 19 September 2002 20:00

If they are so utterly crap, why do so many people in the states bother working them?

Easy. That's all they had.

Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Thu, 19 September 2002 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Thu, 19 September 2002 20:40

He spent $14000 on doing stuff to it, and guarantee its not as fast as a 1GGTE...could have done a 3SGTE swap for that... No No No

I thought exactly the same thing when I saw hit. I even emailed him about it, said he could have put a 3SGTE in there for that money.

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Thu, 19 September 2002 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On one hand I can see where you are coming from with what you said Stefan, but on the other hand, I am in 100% agreeance with what GT said. The fact is, they dont have the sheer number of Japanese import engines available as we do...plain and simple.
celicamad85
Forums Junkie

Banned member

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Thu, 19 September 2002 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
america has a shitload of 3sgte's , the only hard to find ones are the 1g-gtes and 18rg/2tg

then they have all the v8's that we dont have over here, but nobody is swapping them in

they use 22re's because
a) the cars come out with 22re's and its just easier to mod them
b) they have to pass certain emissions laws there
c) next to none parts for the hard to get engines

hey giant tomato/humble why dont you go back to pre-school to play with all your other friends and their M series motors, DICKHEAD
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Thu, 19 September 2002 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually they do put V8's into their celicas and nissan Z cars its quite a popular swap..
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Fri, 20 September 2002 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celicamad85 wrote on Fri, 20 September 2002 09:34

hey giant tomato why dont you go back to pre-school to play with all your other friends and their M series motors, DICKHEAD

Hey dude, you're obviously not terribly well endowed neuronally are you? Do you hold hands to synapse, oxygen thief? Is it an intellectual challenge for you to construct a basic sentence? Can you read?

I said it's a torquey motor that is strongish, but is lacking in power, doesn't rev and is restricted in every way possible. You said exactly the same thing. Well, at least that's what I can ascertain through your egocentric gibberish. You then spent a further 2.5K to try and alter this with some degree of success. Good for you. So why the personal attack?

Dude I suggest you up the level of lithium you're on (at least 600 mg BD and get some levels), book in to see your psychiatrist and get some electroconvulsive therapy. The nasty childhood memories that make you a totally unfettered fuckwit will be wiped awy.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Fri, 20 September 2002 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=gianttomato wrote on Fri, 20 September 2002 10:41I said it's a torquey motor that is strongish, but is lacking in power, doesn't rev and is restricted in every way possible. You said exactly the same thing. [/quote]

No, Gianttomato, you didn't just say that you came out all full of immature sarcasm right from the start, and as such are from no position to have a go at Celicamad85

Ed_ma61: here are the specs for you, copied off my page:

22R-E
EFI SOHC inline-4
2 valves/cylinder
displacement: 2366cc
redline: 5700rpm
bore: 3.62
stroke: 3.5
max power: 105hp@4800rpm OR* 116hp (87kw)
max torque: 137lb/ft@2800rpm OR 140lb/ft (198Nm)
compression ratio: 9.1 OR 9.3:1

Note that the first column is for the 81-84 talldeck engines with analog EFI, the latter column is for shortdeck engines with TCCS EFI. In the RA65 in '85, as far as I can tell we got the shortdeck engine but with the older analog EFI - most likely becuase we were running leaded petrol and so couldn't have an o2 sensor, and perhaps the TCCS NEEDS an o2 sensor wheras the analog is happy in open loop or closed loop or whatever it is (just a guess on my part).

The stats for an ra65 should lie somehwere between the two, most likely toiwards the better end of the scale - we got the higher comp ratio & other slight redesign etc but the older EFI. Note that the analog EFI is actually a lot more 'mod-friendly'.

I believe that latter 22REs... ie in the Corona of later years... have TCCS.

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Fri, 20 September 2002 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought it was witty and inoffensive. Certainly it contained no personal attacks nor were any of the original statements directed at anyone. Of course, nobody would expect an upstanding pillar of society such as Celicamad85 to be quite so precious, given that he's generally quite happy to dish it out to all and sundry. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, it still doesn't take away from the fact that the 22R is a gutless wonder, much like their main protagonist on these forums. A veritable keyboard warrior.Laughing

Goodbye.

Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Fri, 20 September 2002 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celicamad85 wrote on Fri, 20 September 2002 09:34

america has a shitload of 3sgte's , the only hard to find ones are the 1g-gtes and 18rg/2tg

then they have all the v8's that we dont have over here, but nobody is swapping them in

This is quite correct. 1GGTEs are harder to come by and don't have the parts support, and to a lesser extent 18RGS are this way, but the vast majority of people on the OCC list are sucessfully modding their 2xR engines. If they were as rubbish as those on the 'bag the 2xr' bandwagon suggest, I'm sure no one would bother doing anything with them in the first place.

It is funny how people bag the 2xRs for not having a high redline. People on this forum also bag, say Honda engines like the old CRX, for not making any power until up near their really high revline. So what? What is your point? Following your logic, you should turf whatever you have in your Supra for a sweet 250cc bike engine that revs to 16,000. I'm sure that will get the big chassis off the line nicely.

Another point - no one ever said the 2xR was the equivilent of a JZ or M series or even suggested it. Grow up.

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Fri, 20 September 2002 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked FIRESTORM!!! Shocked
Pumpkin
Regular

Toymods Board Member

September 2002
Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Fri, 20 September 2002 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Come on Guys... Be nice..

No attacking eachother..

I dont want to have to lock this thread...

DONT MAKE ME TURN THIS CAR AROUND!!

LOL.. Do you remember your parents saying that on long boring trips??
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Fri, 20 September 2002 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Fri, 20 September 2002 10:41

The nasty childhood memories that make you a totally unfettered fuckwit will be wiped awy.

reminds me of a certain ORB track i love

"along with most of your personality"

cheers
ed
humble
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Fri, 20 September 2002 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heh, people seem to be getting very touchy feely here... I don't think there is any need for that (or personal attacks for that matter) since the RWHP your engine made in the last dyno run does not count as an expression of your manhood!!! So no need to get all excited... chill!!!

Stefan: thank you for the fuck off mate Smile Advise kindly noted... But I still want those sump bolts that go into an F1! I want my 22R goddamnit @#$@!$ ;p

Celicamad: Nice to be called by the first name every now and then ;p I'd rather be called by my first name rather than being an oxygen thief with the basic communication skills of an ameoba and the imagination of an instant noodle!

wil8115
Regular

June 2002
Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Fri, 20 September 2002 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cant we all just get along... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Ed,

Having driven 18R/18RG/20R/22R's for years, I can say that the R series in general is a very reliable engine. The 22R/E has a forged crank, reinforced piston skirts, oil squirters for the wrist pins/pistons, 14mm rod bolts(bigger then any other 4cyl Toy motor i've seen). The engine isn't a race motor by no means. It doesn't like to pull past about 5800rpm in stock trim. But the engine does make 30-35% more torque then HP in the rpms where it will get used. With money spent on it, it will/can perform. To the tune of 8600rpms in circle track racing(stock heads,300*+ cams, balanced, etc.) and 7500rpms w/26+psi boost(1.8 bar for those who cant do the math.. ;-P) making in excess of 450rwhp/400+lbtq. As a starting point you could do worse... 5ME/4K ring any bells? LOLOLOL I had over 292K+ miles(470K+ Km) on my last one.
CamZH
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Fri, 20 September 2002 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's my 2 cents...
why do we even need revs???
this goes back to what Gianttomato said...
I had a 250 x-flow falcon motor, in an old ute.
That was probably one of the strongest and most reliable motors that i've ever driven.

Also simple to work on...

Now i'm working on a 351. I'll see if its better when done...
I hope so, its costing lots more!

CamZH
celicamad85
Forums Junkie

Banned member

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Sat, 21 September 2002 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey giant tomato you seem well versed in the english language but the problem with that is that it still dosnt take away from the fact your a stupid smartarse with nothing better to do than bag out toyota motors, and what for to make yourself look good?....well you dont Laughing

if you think im offended by your comments about the 22re then think again i dont take much to heart when it comes out of a 3yr olds mouth, kiss my ass

signed
keyboard warrior Very Happy
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon3.gif  Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Sun, 22 September 2002 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CamZH wrote on Sat, 21 September 2002 09:07

why do we even need revs???

That's a rather silly question.
Everything is good in moderation. You can't just have sky high revs and no low end torque (AKA VTEC), but you can't have good torque and no power (AKA 22R-E).
Not for a sports car driven on the street at least...

Sure you can make a VTEC make torque, and lose that blood curdling VTEC scream past 5000rpm....
You can also make a 22R-E make power, and lose your beloved torque curve at the same time.

The Americans modify their 22R-Es 'coz they have no other choice. The only real choice for them is the 3S-GTE, and that's a hideously expensive and difficult conversion.

As for Gary M and his 300hp autocross beast, having spoken to him, he said that he spent the same amount of money as a 3S-GTE conversion on his 22R-E. He also said that if he were to go back in time, he would've done the 3S-GTE conversion.

Nothing can beat a modern design, and nothing beats having an engine that was designed for a sports car rather than a truck.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Sun, 22 September 2002 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and the last word....
humble... have you ever driven an RA65 celica?
they go just as hard as the MA61 supra, with the 5m-e. considering it's got 2 extra cylinders and .4 of a litre more, it's an absolute dog.

not that the 22r is fast enough for me either... I just dislike it a bit less than the 5m-e

and why do these discussions always turn into "my dick is bigger than yours" or pissing in your neighbours pool?
be nice!
celicamad85
Forums Junkie

Banned member

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Sun, 22 September 2002 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nicely summed up by nark and draven
celicamad85
Forums Junkie

Banned member

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Sun, 22 September 2002 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nark when my 22rze is together you are going to be one of the first people im emailing a copy of the dyno graph and budget to

a 22re will always have the same base torque at least if not more, even with increased power it wont lose any torque, but the torque curve may be moved further along the rpm scale, this is due mostly to the heads being restrictive
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Sun, 22 September 2002 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celicamad85 wrote on Sun, 22 September 2002 15:15

nicely summed up by nark and draven

They did well but here it is in one sentence:

The 22R is a bus motor.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Sun, 22 September 2002 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Sun, 22 September 2002 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not gonna argue that one
as my friend said, after driving my car "I don't know how you manage to thrash that thing... there's no power band"
yet still I manage to thrash it... so I'm a bit reluctant to consign it to only being a bus motor
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Sun, 22 September 2002 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well gt, you may well bag the 22r, but i think you have overlooked the ROCKETBUS!!!

http://www.worldclass.net/storybox/rocket/sbrfront.gif

hehehe

ed
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon10.gif  Rocketbus Sun, 22 September 2002 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's fantastic! Where the hell did you find that? Very Happy
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Sun, 22 September 2002 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not giving away the source of all my lil goodies!!
hehehehe...

if i were the bus driver thou, id want these stopping me:

http://www.precisionbrakescompany.com/wilwood_ul_3 2fin_curved.html

(dont tell me that's not cheaper than DBA)

are you selling those calipers yet or what Smile

hehehe
ed
celicamad85
Forums Junkie

Banned member

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Sun, 22 September 2002 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont care if its a bus motor or a truck motor or a army tank motor who cares really, what is your point ?....you said it sucks but dont have anything constructive to say, go play in a sandpit Laughing

bring out your raw awesome horsepower 5me tomato and we will match it against the forklift powered 22re Laughing

how many headgaskets have you changed on M series motors Laughing
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Sun, 22 September 2002 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's exactly what the bus would need. The hats are cinch after that. Spin up a bit of 6061.....rock and roll baby. Saw some really sweet ones yesterday on an RA45 strut with some CP5200 AP 4 spots.

Celicamad85, rather than telling us what to do, can you provide some information (modifications required/costing) with regards to developing a 22R? There are plenty of dyno sheets out there for the 1GGTE/5ME/3SGE, but there is scant data pertaining to the 22R. Share it with us so we may be enlightened. In particular, many would be interested in the twin GT40 22R concept that would provide boost from 1500 rpm onwards (discussed towards the bottom of this thread: http://www.toymods.org.au/msgboard/index.php?t=msg &th=4013&start=0&rid=21&S=cdc350bd 5072d4a3d1a474f912cced33 )

We eagerly await your well structured, insightful reply.

[Updated on: Sun, 22 September 2002 11:28]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Sun, 22 September 2002 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, you dont wanna do it, I can talk him out of it, really I can!
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Sun, 22 September 2002 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celicamad85:

did the rocket bus drive up your ass or something...chill out dude, jesus (and didnt you get banned or someting anyway??) ...

GT:

i guess pleading wont help? bah, doesnt matter... have a set of na mkiv 2 spots in my sights...

though, the 4 spot 205's would be nice Smile

lol!!

cheers
ed

[Updated on: Sun, 22 September 2002 11:18]

celicamad85
Forums Junkie

Banned member

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Sun, 22 September 2002 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tomato i could compare that gt40 idea to say ...lets put a 454 chev into a mini, i knew it was too costly to be worth doing and it involved a heap of other shit and anyway it was in private conversation

as for providing the dyno sheet as soon as i have one to share i will do so gladly and ask if it can be included with the others...hopefully before christmas !...i also hope to drive it down to a toymods dyno day along with my missus in the ta22 im building

there is still a bit of work to be done, in the end it will be a 2.6 litre using two standard throttle bodies and some sort of blower (undecided roots or centrifugal)

the ta22 is a 2tg/3tg 2 litre turbo hybrid, i painted it myself in deep sapphire blue with a lilac pearl over the top ...its 90% complete

ive decided to do this work on the 22re because not many other people have or want to... and im not interested in swapping every motor out of every car i have in favour for a 1g-gte even if it does have 'more bang for buck'...

ill keep you posted tomato if you are truly interested

wayne
FreaK
Regular

September 2002

icon4.gif  Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Mon, 23 September 2002 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK. I logged back into Toymods (I'm an OCC guy) BECAUSE I got sent the link to this thread!
I cannot believe some of the misconceptions on *both* sides of the ocean abou this lil forklift motor, OR the 5-6-7 series engines!!!
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I usually go about changing them. Especially when someone thinks they/their car/whatever is better than me/mine.
The 18R/20R/21R/22R including E and ~EC are derived form the forklift design, yes. They are SOHC engines with redline below 6000 until modified. They are in abundance in many countries around the world, and I personally did the 'stage 2' TRD thing to mine, and went about emarrassing many owners of "faster" cars.
I got upset when I got outrun by a ZR1 Corvette on a twisty shore road nearby... Mustang 5.0's were fun to beat!
I like power - always have, other vehicles include V8 Fords and an RZ500 to start. I would trade my Supra for another 22RE in about 5 seconds, but that is mostly because of the IRS than the engine. I had the TRDII can and some headwork, valves and such - on a STOCK bottom end. Cost less than 500CDN and went about 15.some in the 1/4.
Understand?
280*, .495 lift cam, too much timing, port matching, hand-lapped valves, 82 SUpra AFM, K&N cone, 2.5" ex. with Dynomax....
Little money - lots of work. Go like hell.
THAT is why we dig the 22R
Tear 40 feet of a pair of 10" lines .... *sigh*
MY Supra is a 5ME - *note - not a ~GE* and the bigger AFM, 2.75" ex, intake work, K&N and several deleted vacuum systems - makes for a 17 second AUTOMATIC... dang slushbox!
Looking to put the 7M in there.
With a W58.
OH!!! 22R and W58 fit back to 72 and up to 85 in any RWD Toy.
We avoid putting 6's in where 4's WERE since we don't have regular access to tiny ones like Nark's. hehe - not really enough room for a 5MG or 7MG in an RA!

Let me know if you need further clarification.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Mon, 23 September 2002 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=Nark wrote on Sun, 22 September 2002 11:22As for Gary M and his 300hp autocross beast, having spoken to him, he said that he spent the same amount of money as a 3S-GTE conversion on his 22R-E. He also said that if he were to go back in time, he would've done the 3S-GTE conversion.
[/quote]

I don't want to drag other people into this, and I hope he doesn't mind me citing what he said him, but after Gary read this post he commented on it.

To summarise, he basically said that it is very obvious the 22RE is seen very differently in other countries. He has seriously thought about what he would build if he did it again. A tough call 'cos he likes the torque - even a beast 3SGTE is not going to jump like his 22RE, sure a 3SGTE would run away at 7000rpm but what about loaded hard at 2000? He is curretnyl looking into the 3RZFE.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Mon, 23 September 2002 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celicamad85 wrote on Sun, 22 September 2002 15:23

nark when my 22rze is together you are going to be one of the first people im emailing a copy of the dyno graph and budget to

a 22re will always have the same base torque at least if not more, even with increased power it wont lose any torque, but the torque curve may be moved further along the rpm scale, this is due mostly to the heads being restrictive

Dude, I'll the the first person to congratulate you if you can do that and keep it under the budget for a 1G swap. Smile
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Mon, 23 September 2002 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Celicamad85,
many of us would be interested in the twin turbo GT40 22R concept - in particular, at what rev range you would expect to get boost.

I'm still not entirely certain why this is becoming a 22R-5M pissing contest - the 5M is similarly a low revving, heavy, luxo barge engine. You could spend inordinate amounts of money and make it perform. It doesn't alter the fact that both these engines are old, tired and use yesteryear's technology. Surely you could get a better base engine for a fraction the price of modifying a 22R/5ME nowadays. In the current climate, anyone with a balanced view couldn't honestly suggest that modifying either of these engines to the level of the current crop of imports is economically viable.
celicamad85
Forums Junkie

Banned member

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Mon, 23 September 2002 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tomato forget about the gt40's it wasnt even an 'idea' Rolling Eyes

Nark: looking forward to it dude Smile
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon3.gif  Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Mon, 23 September 2002 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow! One of these days, I've gotta get off my arse and resubscribe to the OCC. Very Happy

FreaK wrote on Mon, 23 September 2002 10:18

I had the TRDII can and some headwork, valves and such - on a STOCK bottom end. Cost less than 500CDN and went about 15.some in the 1/4.
Understand?
280*, .495 lift cam, too much timing, port matching, hand-lapped valves, 82 SUpra AFM, K&N cone, 2.5" ex. with Dynomax....
Little money - lots of work. Go like hell.
THAT is why we dig the 22R

That's not bad performance for that price! But I don't think we could get that sort of stuff for that money over here in Oz.

We avoid putting 6's in where 4's WERE since we don't have regular access to tiny ones like Nark's.

That's the thing though, we're in Australia. For less than $4k (in an RA6x), you could pop a 1G-GTE in. You'd have a car that ran low to mid 14s. Sip 11L/100km. And idle like factory.
Then you could start to modify it...

hehe - not really enough room for a 5MG or 7MG in an RA!

hehe Has been done, but it's not something anyone recommends, not when there are much better engines around.
And don't even think about touching the 7M vs 1JZ topic on these forums!!! Oh my!!! Shocked
celicamad85
Forums Junkie

Banned member

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Mon, 23 September 2002 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1g-gte in a ra6x for under $4000 ??....that must be doing all the work yourself ?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Mon, 23 September 2002 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celicamad85 wrote on Mon, 23 September 2002 11:09

1g-gte in a ra6x for under $4000 ??....that must be doing all the work yourself ?

Possibly even less if you got the right half cut and doing all your own work.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon3.gif  Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Mon, 23 September 2002 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup. Doing the work yourself. Could be a lot less depending on how you go with the parts and stuff.

If you pay someone else, you'd be looking at $7k-$10k.
CamZH
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Mon, 23 September 2002 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Nark,
Have you got time slips for your car??
I'm really keen on doing the 1g swap into a RA65.
But i want to know how its going to go...

Also back to the revs thing, i presonally prefer a low reving, loads of torque motor over a high reving motor that you have to ring its neck to make it move...

But i've never owned suck a car, and thats why i want to do the 1g swap as it seems like the best way to get a good small motor into a fun car.

My current project is a ZH fairlane, 2 tons of car with 351 cubic inches, it will probably only see 300hp, which isnt much for 5.8l, but 500Nm of torque is my goal for this motor. and with that much torque @ 2500rpm, who needs revs Smile

CamZH
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Mon, 23 September 2002 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No time slips. But I've beaten plenty of cars that run high-14 second passes at the Creek. Also beat your usual modded WRXs and 200SXs. This is on a rolling start, my clutch is too fucked for a proper launch.

If you're used to a lot of torque, you may not like a turbo engine like the 1G-GTE. It really loves the revs though... It's smooooOOOooth and will scream all the way to the cutout, which, if you drive like me, you'll hit quite often (especially when you don't have a tacho).....

Just depends on your driving style though... Takes a lot of getting used to if you're used to a torquey engine, it's a very different way of driving.
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 22-R :: what cars ?? Mon, 23 September 2002 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Quote:

But I've beaten plenty of cars that run high-14 second passes at the Creek. Also beat your usual modded WRXs and 200SXs

Nark,
This ain't hard, since most people who driver these car's:
a)Have more money than brains
b)can only drive fast in a straight line, since this doesn't require intelligence
c)Think it's the fast thing on the planet, but because their mate said so, because the supersonic,superbig, supercolourful, wankoff valve add's ten thousand HP, so Nuttin' could possible beat it!!
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:whats the difference
Next Topic:Finally got the 1JZ !
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 02:26:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0090658664703369 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.