Forums Junkie

April 2003
tinted tail lights Mon, 06 September 2004 10:10 Go to next message
has anyone does this.. how did it turn out...any tips
  Send a private message to this user    
MR KE70
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: tinted tail lights Tue, 07 September 2004 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anone
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: tinted tail lights Tue, 07 September 2004 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have never done it but many years ago I watched my mate tint the lights on his RA23. He got pulled over a few days later for the tinted lights. He ended up having to rub most of it off Laughing

The stuff he had you just sprayed on the outside of the plastic lens. So all he did was remove the lens, clean, spray, wait till dry, fit to car, drive around until cops noticed his lights were so dark they could barely see indicators or brake lights, explain to Mr Plod "....that's how they were when I got the car...", head to shops to buy turps to rub it off.

I think tinted lights suit some cars and not others.

Good luck with it.

Cheers.
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: tinted tail lights Tue, 07 September 2004 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now the real question is how do i get clear tail lights? ~and no you can't just buy them i have looked~
85MZ10
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: tinted tail lights Tue, 07 September 2004 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you can
Spray the inside of the lens that way they will stay shiny as the tint tends to fade and go dull
also if its on the inside there's no chance of it getting scratched off as you cant just touch up the scratches

P.S. another bonus with painting the inside is you can tell the cops that there factory lights because you cant see that the tint is sprayed on
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: tinted tail lights Tue, 07 September 2004 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've heard stories of people with FD3S rx7s getting defected for their black factory tail lights, only to have the defect notice taken away because they really are! Smile.

hmm
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: tinted tail lights Tue, 07 September 2004 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DunkyMonkey wrote on Tue, 07 September 2004 20:55

now the real question is how do i get clear tail lights? ~and no you can't just buy them i have looked~

you make them yourself with toxic chemicals...

seriously Wink

look up "crystalclear" from www.industrialpolymers.com

hmmm
http://www.industrialpolymers.com/products.html
UV stabilised, perfectly clear (if you have a vacuum degassing chamber), can be tinted to different colours.

as for tinted lights... "hey look at me, i'm so cool you can't tell i'm stopping or turning"
if you want the fooly sik look of tinted lights, just take out the globes and only drive around at night Razz

jk.... sorta....

Cya, Stewart
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: tinted tail lights Wed, 08 September 2004 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe its also illegal to tint the rear lights, based on the fact of reduced visibility to following drivers.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: tinted tail lights Wed, 08 September 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
85MZ10 wrote on Tue, 07 September 2004 21:03

If you can
Spray the inside of the lens that way they will stay shiny as the tint tends to fade and go dull

does that actually make the lens appear darker though? or just not as bright when the light illuminates it?

pics?
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: tinted tail lights Wed, 08 September 2004 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 17:26

85MZ10 wrote on Tue, 07 September 2004 21:03

If you can

does that actually make the lens appear darker though? or just not as bright when the light illuminates it?

pics?

it would appear the rice bug is affecting alot of people these days... Rolling Eyes
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: tinted tail lights Wed, 08 September 2004 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah, not really, im just looking at painting the car a very deep shade of red, and wouldnt mind dropping the tone of the tail lights accordingly. not heaps, just enough to take the edge off the plasticy glare, and more in line with the darker tone of the car.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: tinted tail lights Wed, 08 September 2004 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fair enough

I'm rather anti tinting lights for the safety aspect, but if it didn't dull the luminescence(right word?) then i guess it'd be ok
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: tinted tail lights Wed, 08 September 2004 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, id be installing some mofo brighter bulbs to make up for it. i hate the old gemini's you see getting around with completely invisible brakes and indicators No No No
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: tinted tail lights Wed, 08 September 2004 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm yeha ive been thinking about doing it to mine
its not that ricey i reken it makes em look heaps better
not black like some commodore boys tint it...but a couple shades darker just to tone them down a bit ive been thikning about doing it to my t-18 i reken itld go nice with blue
i didnt think it would bring the colour down at night too much though?

are they that bad?
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: tinted tail lights Wed, 08 September 2004 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tinted tail lights are fucking stupid IMO.

If you can make the plastic look very slightly darker without reducing the effectiveness and brightness, then that's the only exception I'm going to make, but any other circumstance you're a wanker. I've been behind idiots with black taillights - should be legal to be able to smash them in IMO so they're forced to not drive until fixed!
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: tinted tail lights Wed, 08 September 2004 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 19:19

Tinted tail lights are fucking stupid IMO.

If you can make the plastic look very slightly darker without reducing the effectiveness and brightness, then that's the only exception I'm going to make, but any other circumstance you're a wanker. I've been behind idiots with black taillights - should be legal to be able to smash them in IMO so they're forced to not drive until fixed!

Pretty much what i said, and from the sounds of it what ed_ma61 is wanting, darker plastic with no reduction of "brightness"
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: tinted tail lights Wed, 08 September 2004 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

What about putting those LED clusters in place of the globes?

I'm sure they'd be as bright - if not brighter - than a standard globe, otherwise they wouldn't be allowed to sell them legally. Also, the LEDs come on quite a few milliseconds quicker. This isn't much, but even at 60kph, it could mean the diff between a tap on the fender, or busting it.

I think Jaycar (jaycar.com.au)sells these globes. They're just a bunch (half a dozen or so) bright LEDs mounted on a baynet fitting - so they just go in where your normal globe goes. And, LEDs have a very long life and will outlast a globe.

seeyuzz
river
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: tinted tail lights Wed, 08 September 2004 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Only problem is, the toyota tail lights I've seen have the globes perpendicular to the lense rather than head on, which makes things a lot more difficult.
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: tinted tail lights Thu, 09 September 2004 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tinted my rear lights using that spray you can buy at Autobarn. It didn't make much diffrence to the visability of the stop lights. Just make sure you don't put too many coats otherwise it will be to dark and people won't see when you got your breaks on. It looks good on my cars since its all black and the rear lights were big and red so they stood out too much.
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: tinted tail lights Thu, 09 September 2004 02:07 Go to previous message
Oh yeah at it would look better if you can spray it from the inside cause the paint is kinda of matt black.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:forceed induction on a 4AC
Next Topic:Speed sensor wiring
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Oct 6 19:24:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.008213996887207 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.