Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
forest_rd
Newcomer

April 2004
4 cyl turbo in Corona Wed, 08 September 2004 06:51 Go to next message
What (if any) Stock 4 cyl Turbos can you chuck into a XT130?

I know you can put a 1G with turbo in it or an 18R (and then turbo it at great expense) but was wondering if there was a middle ground.
  Send a private message to this user    
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Wed, 08 September 2004 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have seen one with an SR20...

But not toy so I wouldnt do it!

Would go fairly decent tho, with nearly 140kw stock
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Wed, 08 September 2004 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3SGTE is the only worthwhile one and it's a dog of a job.

A 1GGTE is probably your 'easiest' Toyota bet, although 6 cyl means length may be a slight issue.

I would recommend a CA18 as a budget upgrade and they can certainly be made to get up and go... SR20 is another good one. FJ is old and tired...

[Updated on: Wed, 08 September 2004 07:27]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Wed, 08 September 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Turbo the 1X.
fatts
Newcomer

September 2004
Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Wed, 08 September 2004 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7M-Brisbane wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 17:25

A 1GGTE is probably your 'easiest' Toyota bet, although 6 cyl means length may be a slight issue.

I would recommend a CA18 as a budget upgrade and they can certainly be made to get up and go... SR20 is another good one. FJ is old and tired...

you'd take an SR20 over an FJ ?...
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Wed, 08 September 2004 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't turbo the 1X.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Wed, 08 September 2004 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatts wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 17:09

7M-Brisbane wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 17:25

you'd take an SR20 over an FJ ?...

Errr....why wouldnt you, there are soo many more performance parts out there for an SR these days!
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Wed, 08 September 2004 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

you'd take an SR20 over an FJ?

Absolutely! You can have a mid 90's SR20 fairly cheaply... while you'll pay similar money for a twenty-year-old FJ20. You are likely to get a much fresher motor and the myriad of performance parts out there makes it by far the better choice.

Sure, the FJ is a good motor and I don't deny that.. but if you gave me a choice between a 10yo motor and 20yo motor, both with good performance potential, I know which one I'd buy.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Wed, 08 September 2004 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SeptemberSquallIndustries wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 17:40

Don't turbo the 1X.

whats wrong with the shitfire...i mean starfire? Razz
hemi twofifteen turbo
Regular

October 2003
Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Wed, 08 September 2004 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone seen the video of the stock corona on nos?
those shitfires can take a beating...
one other not to hard mod ive herd is a holden s6 or 8.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Wed, 08 September 2004 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want a RWD 4-cylinder turbo with a Toyota badge, there's really only one option: the 3T-GTE. They're getting a bit long in the tooth but they can make good power with a few sensible mods. I don't imagine it would be hard shoehorning one into the engine bay of an XT130.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Wed, 08 September 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hemi twofifteen turbo wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 19:36

anyone seen the video of the stock corona on nos?
those shitfires can take a beating...
one other not to hard mod ive herd is a holden s6 or 8.

EGK!

You would want to put a decent motor in Razz

I still reckon an SR20 would go the goods Very Happy
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Wed, 08 September 2004 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im currently in the process of putting a turbo 18rgeu into my xt130 rona. Its prolly the easiest thing to do due to no mods are needed except building the turbo engine. And so far mine will end up costing no where near the price of a 1ggte or anything like that
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Wed, 08 September 2004 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here is a fairly recent pic of my xt130 engine bay.
http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL568/2504442/5048650/65208599.jpg

As was mentioned, 6 cylinder is fairly long but it does fit. Just have to get rid of the normal fan and fit thermos. Mine uses jzx90 chaser x-member and mounts that come in the front cut. Personally, if you want something a bit cheaper, I would go the 1g-gte. Then again, I really do prefer 6's over 4's and definitely straight 6's! Smile
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Wed, 08 September 2004 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DAAAAAAMN Chris thats one might fine looking engine bay!

Does it run yet??

If so how fast?

And those painted and polished rocker covers look a treat Very Happy
forest_rd
Newcomer

April 2004
Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Thu, 09 September 2004 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx for all the replies.

The reason I don't want to go for a 6 is that This will be a road car. And I'm not sure how easy it will be to re-register (unless I use my dodgy mates in Hurstville).

Does anyone know how much the SR20 and the 3T-GTE/3S-GTE cost? and where abouts I would source one out in Sydney?

Also as a side has someone really turbo'd a 1x? I sure as hell wouldn't, but really?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Thu, 09 September 2004 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Thu, 09 September 2004 09:23

DAAAAAAMN Chris thats one might fine looking engine bay!

Does it run yet??

If so how fast?

And those painted and polished rocker covers look a treat Very Happy

thanks Smile

it used to with the old engine. Hopefully starting it again this weekend.

used to be fast, never got it to the drags because it stopped working when I got there Rolling Eyes

You can thank BenTT for them as I bought the engine off him Smile

Quote:

The reason I don't want to go for a 6 is that This will be a road car. And I'm not sure how easy it will be to re-register (unless I use my dodgy mates in Hurstville).

That is Vic right? Don't know about the rules down there but up here mine is all legal. car supposably weighs 1060kgs and engine is 2.5L twin turbo so that passes. Best to check with an engineer in your state to see what is legal.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Thu, 09 September 2004 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 20:08

If you want a RWD 4-cylinder turbo with a Toyota badge, there's really only one option: the 3T-GTE. They're getting a bit long in the tooth but they can make good power with a few sensible mods. I don't imagine it would be hard shoehorning one into the engine bay of an XT130.

Considering some Jap 'ronas came with 3TGTEs stock, I wouldn't imagine it would be any problem at all (unless an xT130 is an earlier smaller 'rona than the early 80s square ones)
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Thu, 09 September 2004 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan wrote on Thu, 09 September 2004 12:14

Considering some Jap 'ronas came with 3TGTEs stock, I wouldn't imagine it would be any problem at all (unless an xT130 is an earlier smaller 'rona than the early 80s square ones)

Yeah but they also came with better suspension and LSD Diffs, so you cant just drop one in and hope it will work you need to spend the cash on prepping the rest of the car for the motor.

It would be cheaper to buy an import!
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Thu, 09 September 2004 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Thu, 09 September 2004 12:58

Stefan wrote on Thu, 09 September 2004 12:14

Yeah but they also came with better suspension and LSD Diffs, so you cant just drop one in and hope it will work you need to spend the cash on prepping the rest of the car for the motor.

It would be cheaper to buy an import!

I never said you would be able to drop it in and do no other work - was just responding to Norbie's post.

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Thu, 09 September 2004 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It was the next generation Corona (ie TT142) that came with the 3T-GTE. Putting one in an XT130 would be a custom job, same as everything else.
stark
Regular

August 2004
icon12.gif  Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Thu, 09 September 2004 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I had one of these Coronas ages ago.... with the holden starfire motor... we used to call it the Corana to pay homage to the motors holden heretige. Wink Anyway from what i can remember a 3tgte will fit nicely... I im pretty sure the w55 will fit under the tranny tunnel as well... Although the 3t is getting old it can make good power and it did come in the next model corona so gettin it registered shouldnt be too much of a drama...

forest_rd
Newcomer

April 2004
Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Thu, 09 September 2004 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay, so I get that this will be a custom job and a half, but any ideas on cost for the engine and gearbox? and what other expense would there be?

some rough estimates would even be appreciated.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Thu, 09 September 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
200 Million Dollars! Shocked

Well you said rough estimates

Laughing
forest_rd
Newcomer

April 2004
Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Fri, 10 September 2004 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

200 Million Dollars! Shocked

Well you said rough estimates

Laughing

well i guess then I'll have to start saving Razz

I'll do some research then and see what I can come up with.

hemi twofifteen turbo
Regular

October 2003
Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Sat, 11 September 2004 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why not work the starfire 4?
It's stong, reliable, so good are the rods they
used them in turbo holden 6's. With the 120kw stock,
free revving torque monster 1.9 litre (why put in a smaller 1.8L 3t?), why wouldn't you want to stick with the starfire!
I honestly don't know why there is a need to modify such a
top 'donk.

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Sat, 11 September 2004 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 4 cyl turbo in Corona Sat, 11 September 2004 09:14 Go to previous message
Norbie wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 17:54

Laughing

I think norbie has summed it up quite nicely there!

Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Lug Nuts ... ???
Next Topic:Able to get a RWC on panel damaged car?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:01:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076711177825928 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.