Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Thu, 09 September 2004 03:34 Go to next message
Well, it's finally arrived! Yay all around! Except for some minor problems that the extremely excellent lads at Jaustech are going to sort out (within reasonable price frame too I hope!) it's a sweet little thing. I don't know much about the history of the car except that it was almost indefinitely put through the car-wash from hell at one stage, and needs a respray.

Here's a few photos of the good sides of the car! I'm not going to say anything about my plans for this car...as it's all up in the air until I can sort out my other two cars No No No

Yes - yes it is a GT4 Smile
http://home.bigblue.net.au/pwade/ST165/ST165_photo1.jpg

Mmmmm - GT4 front end looks about a factor of 10 times tougher than the soft GT front end.
http://home.bigblue.net.au/pwade/ST165/ST165_photo2.jpg

It 'looks' good, but I can't say too much more than that yet Very Happy
http://home.bigblue.net.au/pwade/ST165/ST165_photo3.jpg

Send a private message to this user    
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Thu, 09 September 2004 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, and let's not forget...

Say hello to my little friend Smile

http://home.bigblue.net.au/pwade/ST165/ST165_photo4.jpg
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Thu, 09 September 2004 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crazy mofo man...
Laughing Laughing Laughing

That thing is fucking INSANE
WOW...

Goes alright?? hehehe

Can u do a comparo between sx and gt4?
Got Pics of interior???
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Thu, 09 September 2004 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CHANGE THIS

Quote:

Greatest ST162 ever (for sale)
traders -> grant, inferno, biohazard TA22

Got ST165? Will travel.

TO THIS

Quote:

Greatest ST162 ever (for sale)
traders -> grant, inferno, biohazard TA22

Got ST165!!!! Will be travelling sideways.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Thu, 09 September 2004 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you know I love it Wink

looks very clean man, esp the engine.

almost look like a gen2 3sge in there..
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Thu, 09 September 2004 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
great looking car mate...congratulations. I would like to see your face once you getting running perfect. your cheeks should end up at your ears and your mouth will be wide open from excitement. AWESOME. Very Happy
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Thu, 09 September 2004 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NICE!! Man, I am insanely jealous......

Looks very straight and clean mate (except for the paint issue as mentioned!), great pick up.

Enjoy the ride! Cool

-Matt
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Thu, 09 September 2004 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah here's the best I could do for interior shots...the leather is a bit old and starting to wear/crack Sad

http://home.bigblue.net.au/pwade/ST165/ST165_intr1.jpg

http://home.bigblue.net.au/pwade/ST165/ST165_intr2.jpg

It does seem to be running a bit better now that it's on a diet of 98 octance...but I'm getting it looked over none the less.

Quote:

Can u do a comparo between sx and gt4?
Hrmmm - anything in particular you want to know?
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Thu, 09 September 2004 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like a sweet ride. You must of had it off road by now surely hehehe . Can't wait to get mine licensed and on the road. I'm envious. Congrats.

Cheers

Jeff
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Thu, 09 September 2004 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes - yes I have taken it onto the dirt Very Happy

Man is it sweet Smile Definitely doesn't suffer from understeer on the dirt. Grips really well considering it has two open diffs front and rear...could obviously grip alot better though. But the viscous centre acts quite nicely, just gives it a smooth transition to oversteer rather than a snappy locker does (I've driven a locked centre 4WD sedan before) not the most tractive 4WD ever, but it behaves very smoothly.

The fronts tires have really shit treat/compound though and it's a bitch to get turn in on dirt. I think the springs are a bit saggy and old too, which is a shame, but I'll get them replaced when the money permits.

Overall ST165s are WICKED and it's great to have my dream car finally in my hands Smile
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Thu, 09 September 2004 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I've seen Semi-trailers with smaller gearsticks than that... Shocked Shocked Shocked
Bet ur giving her a good run, by lookin at ur avatar its up for a good run.. they are like my seats although u got leather on the sides??

Wicked ride once again
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Thu, 09 September 2004 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That avatar is actually my old ST162!!! You should see how sideways the GT4 gets Very Happy (note : I totally don't endorse going hard on the public roads...I've done a few hard corners on dirt to test stuff out, but really I'll take my fast driving to the track/rallies)
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Thu, 09 September 2004 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I hate that gearstick Smile Definitely going to change it!
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Fri, 10 September 2004 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, so it has seemed to clear it's throat, Jaustech had a look at it (no charge) and couldn't find any particular problems in their test drive, then they chucked it on the dyno just to be sure and it came up with no real issues. Made 93kW @ wheels which is about what I expected for a four wheel drive car that allegedly makes 147kW at flywheel from factory testing. Here's the charts...if anyone can spot anything suspicious let me know but it looks pretty normal to me...the turbocharger sucks at holding boost though above 5000rpm - possibly due to back pressure from the standard exhaust system.

http://home.bigblue.net.au/pwade/ST165/ST165_dyn_vac.jpg

http://home.bigblue.net.au/pwade/ST165/ST165_dyn_kW.jpg

http://home.bigblue.net.au/pwade/ST165/ST165_dyn_lam.jpg
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Fri, 10 September 2004 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I was just interested overal in say handling on the road, Fun factor, Power response from down below mid and up high...

Just interested to see how they differ....
Are they much heavier???

Can't wait to see this car in like 8 months down the track Shocked Shocked
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Fri, 10 September 2004 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
COOL CAR, BUT I DONT KNOW ABOUT THE PARAGRAPH OF SHIT ON THE GUARD...........

MAYBE YOU SHOULD ADD A BIT MORE TO IT,,,,,, LIKE THE SPARK PLUG GAPS. HAHAHAHAHA
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Fri, 10 September 2004 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WHERE'S THE HORN BUTTON????
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Fri, 10 September 2004 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It doesn't need a horn button. The look of the ST165 just screams "GET THE F#$K OUTA MY WAY" Twisted Evil

Cheers

Jeff
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Fri, 10 September 2004 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice as
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Sat, 11 September 2004 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Muaythaiman -> The horn button seems to be wherever your caps lock button is mate Razz Yeah i asked the same question myself, but it doesn't matter as I've got another saas style wheel sitting around the place and a boss kit for it (that has a horn button) currently if I want to beep anyone I hafta try and get the wire to touch the steering wheel shaft spline Smile

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Sat, 11 September 2004 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh - it's still has slight ingition problems - most noticeable when the engine hasn't fully warmed up (ie if it's only been running for 5 mins or less) I'm not entirely sure what the problem is there, but I reckon it may be affecting the power even when the car is fully warm - so I'm going to replace fuel filter, air filter, leads and plugs, check engine error codes (and do other boring service type stuff) and then if it's no longer 'missing' then I'll take it in for a dyno tune.

b.t.w. Does anyone know where to get a service manual for these things???
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Sat, 11 September 2004 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 12:04

haha
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Sun, 12 September 2004 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HA HA HA!
AHHHH HA HA HA!!!
AHHHHHH HAAA HAA HAA HAA ha aaaah.

*cough*

Ahh shit.
NOT162
Regular

July 2004
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Sun, 12 September 2004 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CONGRATS Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I know ur gonna luv it. I love mine. They're awesome to drive. You got more horsies than mine tho, but mine was running a bit rich. I got 87.7 4wkw. Enjoy!!!! Very Happy
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Sun, 12 September 2004 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive got the full service manual for the 3sgte if you need stuff out of it - can photocopy + send Smile

for a gen 2 3sgte but there isnt all that much difference outside of the induction/cooling side
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Sun, 12 September 2004 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Thu, 09 September 2004 15:55

http://home.bigblue.net.au/pwade/ST165/ST165_intr2.jpg

mmmmmm....leather.....mmmmm...nardi....

mmmmm

turbo....mmmmm

Freak

fwd boy your stock is rising in my exchange buddy! Nice car Nod
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Sun, 12 September 2004 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 20:43

FWDboy wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 12:04

haha

When you find one pinch yourself becuase you are probably dead...

I cant even find one for a JZZ30 let alone a GZ20 let alone an ST165

Fucken slack haynes import haters
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Sun, 12 September 2004 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got a momo wheel I need to stick on that thing, plus a new gearstick lever.

Classique71 - if you CBFed that'd be sweet if it has things like error code lists and clearances/tolerances!
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Mon, 13 September 2004 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey
nice car mate, looks like a lot of fun.
what exactly is the difference between a 162 and a 165?

chris
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Mon, 13 September 2004 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I know ur gonna luv it. I love mine. They're awesome to drive. You got more horsies than mine tho, but mine was running a bit rich. I got 87.7 4wkw. Enjoy!!!!

Yeah, mine still has a slight problem as well - it's still not getting perfect spark, I imagine a figure more a few kW higher would be 'normal'...how rich was yours running btw? Mine seemed about right (around 10:1 to 12:1 when on boost)
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Mon, 13 September 2004 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe I'll take the two cars onto a track sometime and do a comparison between the two - Very Happy
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Tue, 14 September 2004 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mynameisrodney wrote on Mon, 13 September 2004 12:54

hey
nice car mate, looks like a lot of fun.
what exactly is the difference between a 162 and a 165?

chris

162 - FWD - 3SGE

165 - 4WD - 3SGTE
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Tue, 14 September 2004 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So when they did your car, was that on a four wheel dyno or a normal dyno? I heard that there is a lever on the gearbox that makes it fwd for normal dyno tuning. I could be wrong.

Cheers

Jeff
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Wed, 15 September 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Only if you have the 'less cool' manually locking centre differential. I have viscous coupling centre, and thus it's a 'permanent' 4WD. No such switcheroonies for me. 1987 models and onwards have viscous coupling, 1986 (or early 86) models have the locked centre.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Wed, 15 September 2004 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh - if you ran a gt4 in the " fwd mode " onn a dyno power run - youd soon be calling me asking very politely if you can buy one of my spare Gt4 gearboxes ..

its only really designed for " towing purposes only "
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Sun, 26 September 2004 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grr - two more 'metro with aids' things about my GT4...first thing is it has a speed limiter at about 195km/h (indicated, I think, I mean the dial only goes to 180 so I'm just guessing here) secondly...it's got a damn space-saver spare! Bloody useless as tits on a ball. So guess how I've just had to spend the last two or so hours when I got a flat 100km from home.
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Sun, 26 September 2004 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From memory, I think the ST165 only had a top speed of 210kmh from the factory. And space saver's suck balls.

Anyway, what are you doing 195 for you naughty boy Razz
I hope it was on gravel Evil or Very Mad
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Sun, 26 September 2004 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah judging by how many revs it was doing, it probably could only stretch to about 205ish anyway. I'm still wondering if one of my sensor's is catcus cause it's not making good boost.

Wasn't doing 195 on gravel - only been up to about 140 on gravel...it's unbelievable how hard it is to drive a car like this out of a corner with the foot absolutely planted. I've never really experienced anything like it before....have to learn so fast! That's how I got the puncture cause I kissed a dirt bank and rocks got caught in the rim. I'm not one for lifting off Smile

Stupid steep learning curve. But that's driving for ya when you have no talent, like me!

Let me get this straight - a water-air intercooler works on the principle of the air being hotter than the water, thus due to laws of thermodynamics the water tries to balance out the temperature by sapping the heat from the air...question - where does the heat that is in the water go to? I traced a billion water lines but couldn't figure it out...? How does it get rid of the heat in the water???
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Sun, 26 September 2004 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a heat exchanger behind the front bar. should be to the right side of the thermo fan. There is a pump that recirculates the water. It works exactly as the cooling system for the engine.

It is also common that the pump for the intercooler can seize up if the car was not used that often in Japan.

[Updated on: Sun, 26 September 2004 12:39]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Sun, 26 September 2004 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tomorrow I shall find this heat exchanger...damn ST165 engine bay is so crowded!

SO in effect, it's kind of like have a water-air + air-water intercooling system Very Happy

They should have just whacked a massif bonnet scoop on it and done an air-to-air one.
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Sun, 26 September 2004 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its in front of the rad support and behind the front bar. If you have any problems finding it I will take some pics tomorrow and post them up.

They should have put some venting in at the very least. A good water to air system works better than a air to air in my opinion. But each to their own I guess.

So overall, are you happy with your purchase?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Mon, 27 September 2004 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah - I'm fairly happy with it, except the car doesn't seem to be standing up to the Stephen Wade dirt driving style... Very Happy I've already done 'something' to the front right suspension - doesn't sound good.

I need another A to B car now so I can start working toward this one being a rally car.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Mon, 27 September 2004 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only problem with water-air intercooling is the extra weight it adds to the car. I can't believe how hot these engines get though, after 30km/h of oh-so-light freeway driving at 100km/h you can feel the heat coming from the engine bay if you are standing two metres away.

I found that heat exchanger - it was staring me in the face the whole bloody time!!! *sigh*

Not sure why toyota put it there though, doesn't seem like the best place for it, sure the air pressure/density would be good there, but wouldn't be so good for flow.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Mon, 27 September 2004 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeah stumpy does yours have ABS? I want to chuck the damn ABS into the ocean, the number of times it's terminally fucked up my corner entry on dirt has already pushed my patience beyond it's meagre limitations Smile
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Mon, 27 September 2004 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it does, haven't tried it to be honest. I know on my subi it was dangerous on the gravel. I will have to find out some way of disconnecting it if it does.

I have not been able to do much to the car myself due to a back injury, and i'm getting low on funds to pay someone to finish it off for me.

Oh well, patients is a virtue

[Updated on: Mon, 27 September 2004 13:14]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Mon, 27 September 2004 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate if only you lived in South Aus I'd help ya fuck up, err I mean fix up, your car for sure!

As it is, your on your own Razz
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Mon, 27 September 2004 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What good bits from japan are in your 165 btw?

Oh - and WHERE DO I GET THOSE NON POP-UP HEADLIGHTS THAT WERE ON THE GROUP A RALLY CARS AND WHY THE HELL AM I TYPING IN CAPS AND WHERE HAS MY PUNCTUATION GONE
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Mon, 27 September 2004 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, the celica guru that I took it to went through it and this is what he found
TRD plate type LSD near new
TRD engine mounts
TRD clutch
Had sump off, TRD main and conrod bolts and nuts?
HKS turbo
HKS FCD and EVC
KYB super rally suspension
Body has been stitched welded

They are the things that come to mind ATM. He said that the car looks like it has had very limited use and everything looks like as old as the kays that is on the odometer...........8000km

It just has a slight stalling problem now and then, when you pull up to a set of lights, sometimes the revs drop to 500 or so and then splutters and stalls. I will sort that out before it goes over the pits
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Mon, 27 September 2004 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And in regards to the headlights, I have no idea. You could see if SUPRAMAN can source them. I think looking at photo's, yhe early models had them, but the car that won in Australia had the pop ups
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Mon, 27 September 2004 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I'll have to look into getting some. They look better imho.

I think the WRC ones had non-pop-ups for most of its career? But it's hard to say, I don't have much info on them. I can see how it would be of aerodynamic benefit and probably would reduce NVH too Smile

Man, your car has so many goodies on it! Wonder if it got thrashed much though in it's lifetime? Definitely seems to be prepped for a bit of motorsport use.

What's in the suspension package, shocks/springs/struts?
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Mon, 27 September 2004 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They are non hight adjustable, complete units/ springs shocks and struts. They look to have bump and rebound adjustment. They are nice and stiff

The car was probably used for rallying but the roads over there are micky duck. There is no sign of damage underneath, or anywhere for that matter. The shell has no flex in it.

I am yet to test it out on the gravel, but it will not be long before I do. Then I can see if the suspension is set up correctly
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Sun, 17 October 2004 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My damn GT4 is off the road atm! Waiting on a radiator top-tank from Japan, no idea whether or not the ST165 radiator is actually much different from the ST162 one but who cares - new radiator top-tank from toyota is all good none the less Smile

Yet to solve the ignition problems, hopefully Jaustech will remember to look at the ISC while they have it... *shakes fist at Jaustech* hopefully get this car back on the road within a couple of weeks.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Fri, 22 October 2004 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you figure out a way to switch off the ABS, I'd like to know.
Last time I had mine in SA I almost ran it off a bank coz I was expecting it to stop & then the ABS kicked in & released the brakes Mad Razz Embarassed

Problem is my speedo runs off the front ABS sensors, so I can't just kill power to the ABS computer.
Was thinking about putting a switch on one of the rear wheel sensors. By turning off the signal, this would put the ABS system into failsafe mode (ie ABS doesn't work, but normal brake system does).
only other way is a switch to the power for the ABS motors, but I don't know how that would affect the rest of the system.
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Fri, 22 October 2004 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn. First of all i gotta say nice car. Don't take this the wrong way, but i haven't seen one in the same condition as mine ever. I didn't think they existed!

Quote:

Oh - it's still has slight ingition problems - most noticeable when the engine hasn't fully warmed up (ie if it's only been running for 5 mins or less) I'm not entirely sure what the problem is there, but I reckon it may be affecting the power even when the car is fully warm - so I'm going to replace fuel filter, air filter, leads and plugs, check engine error codes (and do other boring service type stuff) and then if it's no longer 'missing' then I'll take it in for a dyno tune.

Here is the bad news, you might be in for a shock. I had the same thing on my car, so i decided to get a Greddy emanage fuel/igntion controller for it while i was replacing the ignition (which was cactus when GT11 pulled it out). All i can say is get used to waiting from parts to come from Japan. To date i have been without my car for 6 weeks, five of those have been spent waiting for Toyota Japan to MAKE me a new rotor cap- they didn't have any on the shelf! Now if youre having the same general ignition woes as i am, i hope for your sake you find an easier way around the problem. Such a simple problem but such a major headache to actually solve.

Do you have any mods planned?

wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Fri, 22 October 2004 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's the issue with any import... w a i t i n g.

Once had to wait 4 months for a windscreen because there was none in stock anywhere in the world Shocked & they had to make one ($1800 later it was installed, lucky insurance paid for it Wink )
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Fri, 22 October 2004 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm kind of ignoring all the power related (ignition) problems! Mods planned? HELL YES!!! Once I've built my dream road car (a 3S-GE TA-23) I'm going to strip this car totally and turn it into a PRC rally car, so it may not even run a dizzy ignition etc by the end of it - and it definitely won't run standard ECU.

As far as the ABS is concerned, I just started trying to learn how to drive with it, I'm not sure whether it's just related to how the viscous diff loads up, or whether it's ABS related, but left-foot braking was really awkward in the '165! Took a bit of getting used to...felt really uncomfy and will definitely be something to look at when I start the rally-ification.

I was expecting 'parts waiting' with this car, the radiator top tank is supposed to take two weeks, but I'm ready for a month or more Sad I miss my car!!!

KYOTO - you sure you couldn't use the cap off of a ST185 though? I dunno how far toyota's parts sharing went in regards to the GTEs but I know there are many similarities between 1st gen and 2nd gen 3S-GE engines.
stereomike
Regular

February 2004
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Fri, 22 October 2004 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holy shit cuz, that's damn nice!! Sad to see my 162 go now hehe. It's no 165 obviously, but visually they're much the same, and that was a lot of the appeal of my 162! Oh well. Good job Wink
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Fri, 22 October 2004 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got some bad news for you.

Looked up my EPC & the ST165 radiator and cap are unique to that car.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Fri, 22 October 2004 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah that's what I've been told *shakes fist at crappy toyota engineers*

stereomike -> At least you stayed with a good brand! The 165 wouldn't be as quick in a straight line as a JZ N/A Supra anyway hehehe
stereomike
Regular

February 2004
Re: FWDboy's 1988 ST165 Fri, 22 October 2004 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Heh, you don't know how close I came to buying my mate's dad's V8 Tickford AUII Fairmont Wink

But yes, Toyota won me in the end!
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AGZE SX Rolla
Next Topic:// Matt-itudes 1988 Toyota Celica SX (ST-162)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 2 17:35:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.012726068496704 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.