Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » how can I make a little "bump" on this metal...? [update: the finished product]

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
how can I make a little "bump" on this metal...? [update: the finished product] Wed, 15 September 2004 06:19 Go to next message
I need the steel one to have the little nib on it like the brass one here

I have NO idea how to do it.

any help so much appreciated

http://img76.exs.cx/img76/5127/rod.jpg

[Updated on: Fri, 17 September 2004 10:37]

Send a private message to this user    
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Wed, 15 September 2004 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can't really see properly from the picture but I assume it would either be a small weld or possibly the rod has been heated and squashed flat on that bit.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Wed, 15 September 2004 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah it is a heat and squash job.

something I can't exactly replicate here Sad

I have a blowtorch.. but... nothing to squash it with
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Wed, 15 September 2004 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you have an anvil and something to beat the fu(ker with? That would work wouldn't it?
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Wed, 15 September 2004 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is part of a speedo drive?

weld blob onto it & file/grind back to appropriate shape

T
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Wed, 15 September 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I ain't got no welder captain! eek Sad

otherwise perfect solution

and I can't afford to bash it because it has to remain perfectly straight hehehe
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Wed, 15 September 2004 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone have a welder I can come around and you can weld a blob on for me!? Very Happy
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Wed, 15 September 2004 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Wed, 15 September 2004 16:56

anyone have a welder I can come around and you can weld a blob on for me!? Very Happy

The weekends looking pretty tight at this stage, but if an opportunity arises, I'll let you know! It would only take 30 seconds to do anyways.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Wed, 15 September 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks man that's awesome!

I will try and stop in somewhere tomorrow morning and see if someone can stick a blob on there for me.. no one could charge me more than $10

I will let you all know..

if someone has a welder at home and is feeling really generous... and they live close, and they can do it tonight.. hahaha Wink

I wanted to drive my car today Sad *sniff*
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Wed, 15 September 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm sure if you offered some bevvy's my mate would consider it tonight......

This may be a stupid question, but wtf is it?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Wed, 15 September 2004 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate I will bring MUCHO bevvys!

It is the little weird thing in the end of the speedo shaft.

Really complicated story, but my new LSD box needs this custom rod on the speedo assembly to mate with all my old stuff.

I have to keep the manual cable to keep my cruise control and not modify my dash.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Wed, 15 September 2004 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok. What's your number? I'll be in Turramurra at about 7:30-8:00 and my mate will drop a poo-pellet on that rod of yours.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Wed, 15 September 2004 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pm sent Very Happy
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Wed, 15 September 2004 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you know i've probably got the correct speedo drive thingy somewhere................

let us know how you go

T
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Wed, 15 September 2004 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well it is the whole combo thing.. the cog + shaft + cable adapter have to mate up.. which is my nasty nasty problem

the problem being that the cog/shaft/box are all 1998, the cable adapter etc etc is all 1988

heheh

I will let you all know how it works out.
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Wed, 15 September 2004 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
epoxy?
or how about drilling a hole or 2 and pressing some pins into it.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Wed, 15 September 2004 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you want to head down to camden, i'll give it a bash for free Wink coming to the burragorang cruise?
Cya, Stewart
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Thu, 16 September 2004 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stewart.. thanks bro!

Jeremy + James, thankyou SO Much for the welding last night.. they very kindly put some little poo pellets on the rod for me to grind back to fit! Very Happy

so nice... here is the "preground" state.. sorry 'bout the bad focus

http://img80.exs.cx/img80/1728/speedo.jpg

[Updated on: Thu, 16 September 2004 01:25]

Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Thu, 16 September 2004 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go the 15" ti powerbook in the pic Very Happy
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Thu, 16 September 2004 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No probs Rob. Always happy to help!

Let us know how it went.

Cheers,

Jeremy.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Thu, 16 September 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Thu, 16 September 2004 22:53

Let us know how it went.

Cheers,

Jeremy.

aww the slutty is such a nice boy
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Thu, 16 September 2004 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have stuff like that all the time

i carry afew diff types of speedo sensors and lil speedo drive bits
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Thu, 16 September 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Thu, 16 September 2004 22:54

AE86slut wrote on Thu, 16 September 2004 22:53

Let us know how it went.

Cheers,

Jeremy.

aww the slutty is such a nice boy

Yes. Yes I am.

Jim, do you normally make up these sorts of bits yourself?
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Thu, 16 September 2004 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no
i stock new speedo sensors with 4 pulse output

i also grab the factory speedo sensoirs off 2nd hand gboxes when i do the conversions

i dont have alot of 2nd hand ones but i try to get them whenever i can

those little pins are very easy to loose

im starting to do more with little electronic gadgets for speedos and abs sensors so all this stuff helps
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Fri, 17 September 2004 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

go the 15" ti powerbook in the pic

yes.. it's my baby Very Happy

Jim.. interesting you keep those parts, though I have pretty much need these custom parts for this one... I don't think the 1998 electric speedo sensor is supposed to mate with my old skool arangement heheh
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Fri, 17 September 2004 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what arragment do u have

what are u tryin to achieve

cable driven to electric driven ?

i have a database of some vehicles and what sensors and amount of pulses they use

so i might have what u need
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Fri, 17 September 2004 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah nah dude thanks

my new gbox had an electric speedo sensor attached to a similar cog+shaft. I am just converting it to match my manual setup.. thing is that my old speedo cog was the wrong number of teeth so I have had to use the cog + shaft that came with the box after removing it from the electric sensor.

The shaft was shorter, but still had the grooves in it for the little metal key (that we made up) to slot in to turn the cable. So all I needed was a longer key.. I hope Very Happy

(my sensors for the cruise control and stuff are further up the cable)

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal rod here? Fri, 17 September 2004 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys

thankyou ALL so much for your help.. so much appreciated, Jeremy & James thanks for the fantastic welding

Here is the finished product (photo #1 next to the older one)

and a close-up of the product Smile

http://img26.exs.cx/img26/9504/DSC04804.th.jpg

it cameout really really well... better job than toyota origionally made it I reckon! Very Happy

http://img26.exs.cx/img26/9306/DSC04808.th.jpg
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal...? [update: the finished product] Sat, 18 September 2004 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Rob,

Looks really good mate! I think it was a better idea to use the one with 2 bumps on it. You shouldn't have any dramas with that breaking methinks. If it does, just bring it back and we'll try something else.

Cheers,

Jeremy.
Anthony Kellam
Regular

July 2002
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal...? [update: the finished product] Sat, 18 September 2004 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

This problem is common with AE101 LSD's in to older mecahnically driven speedo arrangement.

Usually ppl just chuck the whole AE92 ZE (mechanical) unit in to the AE101 (electronic) box.

This usualy lasts about 2-4 weeks as the different number of starts (the top number on the nylon gear) eventually pushes the gear off the shaft never to be seen again until next you pull the box apart Razz. (One has 31 starts the other 30 I think so they alsmost work....)

And as youve found out the mechanical shaft and the electronic shaft are quite different. I find it easiest to just put the new shaft in the vice and tap the gear off. theres a nice meaty swage so you can tap the right gear back on and it will stay put.

Easier than welding Smile

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal...? [update: the finished product] Sat, 18 September 2004 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"once again something that could have been brought to my attention YESTERDAY!" Razz I love adam sandler.....

lol.. mate I attempted using a puller to get the gear off. However, as I only had one gear and one shaft, I did not want to risk damaging either. Or, to pull it off to find I could not get it back on, or to have it loose, and fall into the box. So I decided to follow this route... which although time-consuming, not too difficult.

So, doing what I did was I think the safest method. Had I known it was safe to remove the cog from the shaft I might have tried that. Yet alls well that ends well.. and this seemed to go in ok..

Glad to know I am not alone with this issue.
Anthony Kellam
Regular

July 2002
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal...? [update: the finished product] Sat, 18 September 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Sorry for the belatedness Smile. What I love about conversions is seeing what people come up with. Especially if they are never told it can't be done.

It's quite amazing to do heaps of ZE conversions and then have one come in fitted just for wiring and you see where or how they mounted the coils or something and just kick yourself Smile

Anyway, my point is you saw the problem in a different way and came up with a good solution. I can't testify that pressing the gear on and off is safe, but it's worked so far Wink

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: how can I make a little "bump" on this metal...? [update: the finished product] Sat, 18 September 2004 06:02 Go to previous message
hey mate I appreciate your feedback! better late than never huh!

And if I ever need to do this again, hey, I know another way now! Smile

I appreciate very much everyone's posts on this thread
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:t18 final gear
Next Topic:gze coil lead help
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 18:45:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010205030441284 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.