Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ta2272
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Cam chain tensioner Leaking 2tg Mon, 20 September 2004 13:47 Go to next message
My 2tg cam chain tensioner is leaking oil my last one was also leaking oil (i snapped it trying to fix the oil leak) Rolling Eyes I have been told to replcae an O ring for the leak but i suspect it is just the way it is adjusted is the reason for it leaking.

Any suggection or am i on the wrong track,

thanks alot

Jason
  Send a private message to this user    
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cam chain tensioner Leaking 2tg Tue, 21 September 2004 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The timing chain tensioner leaked on my 2TG as well, I just replaced the o-ring (or was there 2 ???) and it never leaked a drop after that.

It cost about $2 or so to fix and took very little time, I think you need some circlip pliers to easily pull apart the tensioner, or you can always improvise.

I remember the o-ring in my tensioner being so hard it was like plastic, I suppose it was 20 or more years old though so no wonder it leaked.

Make sure you use a new crush washer between the tensioner and the head too, or it will leak from there.

If you replace all those things it should be fine.
ta2272
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Cam chain tensioner Leaking 2tg Tue, 21 September 2004 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep ok i may rebuild it if necesary but i actually think that is were it is leaking from on between the head and tensioner.
should i get anothere crush wacher and try that first or just use some gasket goo.?

Does anyone know how tight to do these i know they self tighten with oil pressure so how do you know how tight ot have it .

thanks.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cam chain tensioner Leaking 2tg Tue, 21 September 2004 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't use the gasket goo for this (or if you do only do it if you are really stuck and it is just to use until you get hold of the proper seal).

The washer should only be a dollar or two from a spare parts shop. Just measure up what size you need and go buy one.

Forgive my memory but I haven't played with a 2TG for a few years, you have the tension adjuster bolt and lock ring to play with for adjustment. I might leave the correct adjustment to someone who has a manual for this engine (I don't have one any more). But my vague recollection is that you adjust the tesnioner to a point where there is x.x mm movement in the plate which the tensioner pushes against and the chain slides over (obviously the cam cover needs to be off to do this).

Once set correctly with the right amount of spring tension against the tension plate the oil pressure creates the force to keep the right tension when the motor is running.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 September 2004 01:10]

ta2272
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Cam chain tensioner Leaking 2tg Tue, 21 September 2004 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh i have noticed that if you do it to tight it bog the motor down, haha so ill take my tapper cover of and adjust it so the pressure loaded spring is against the slider and no movement is visible.
ta2272
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Cam chain tensioner Leaking 2tg Tue, 21 September 2004 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought some copper washers to put in between the head and the cam chain tensioner, is this what you are talking about when you say crunch washer?

Thanks alot.

Jason
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cam chain tensioner Leaking 2tg Tue, 21 September 2004 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep Smile
ta2272
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Cam chain tensioner Leaking 2tg Tue, 21 September 2004 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
should i just chuck one of those in and see if it stops leaking or should i rebuild it anyway,

are they confusing the last one i snapped looked pretty confusing to put back together.?
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cam chain tensioner Leaking 2tg Tue, 21 September 2004 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's up to you, if you are pretty sure it was only leaking between the head and tensioner then just the washer will do. If you are unsure then rebuild it with new o-ring.

It is dead simple to rebuild, remove tensioner from head, remove the tensioning nut and lockring. Find the circlip, push in tensioner so that it's not pressed against the circlip, remove circlip. CAREFULLY let out the tensioner (it has a spring behind it so you don't want it to fly out). The moving tensioner part and spring should now come out. You will see the o-ring, remove it and clean all parts thoroughly, fit new o-ring, lightly oil and reassemble it in the reverse order of how you disassembled it. Ensure the circlip is seated properly in its groove!!!

That should be it. Refit and adjust. Just be sure to clean it all well, as a new o-ring on a dirty part won't work.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Cam chain tensioner Leaking 2tg Tue, 21 September 2004 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you do a search you'll find a link to a site that has instructions about how to rebuild it, i stumbled across it when mine was leaking, but i was stupid and decided it must be the gasket between head and tensioner, i tightened it up a little and SNAP
$182 later i've got a new one in there with the same gasket, and its not leaking a drop Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Cam chain tensioner Leaking 2tg Tue, 21 September 2004 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jessetamsett wrote on Tue, 21 September 2004 17:41

if you do a search you'll find a link to a site that has instructions about how to rebuild it

http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/2TG%20Chain%20 Tensioner%20Rebuild/Untitled-1.htm

That one?
ta2272
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Cam chain tensioner Leaking 2tg Tue, 21 September 2004 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got a tensioner which looks different to that one i had one the same as that it wa sin the early model head and the second one i got was from a newer head and looks sligthly different.

Jason
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Cam chain tensioner Leaking 2tg Tue, 21 September 2004 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you have a 3TG chain tensioner?
ta2272
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Cam chain tensioner Leaking 2tg Wed, 22 September 2004 11:55 Go to previous message
Hey guys just recoed it today worked great doesnt leak a bit, the old washer was plasticy and hard, and used a new aloy washer in between the head.

thought when i pulled it appart it did not have a few of the parts that this one in the picture does, the bits i do not have is that ball bearing and the nylon washer all inside the tensioner.

any ideas why.

the pics are in the link Cool1 provided.

thanks all.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Rocker covers - internal seal?
Next Topic:say I had different # of teeth on my driveshaft than in my diff
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 03:57:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061378479003906 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.