Toymods » Members Rides » my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
camryGT?
Regular

April 2004
my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Sun, 26 September 2004 10:35 Go to next message
1988 model camry, with ST205 gt4 motor,
air to water intercooled.
late model V6 camry 5 speed gearbox, with custom drive shafts
4 wheel disc brakes
walbro 255 litre/hour fuel pump, with 2 speeds controlled by gt4 ecu.
3 inch mandrel exhaust, from turbo back with an electronic butterfly valve at the tip so i don't wake up the neighbours at night
all new shocks and bushes etc
otherwise stockish

http://www.labourco-op.com.au/sv21/DSC00044.JPG

still needs a bit of a clean up but i am happy just to drive it for now

http://www.labourco-op.com.au/sv21/DSC00047.JPG

http://www.labourco-op.com.au/sv21/DSC00048.JPG

you can just make out the heat exchanger for the air to water intercooler on this photo

http://www.labourco-op.com.au/sv21/DSC00050.JPG

best thing is it doesn't matter how fast you drive when it looks like this the cops just ignore you

http://www.labourco-op.com.au/sv21/DSC00051.JPG

http://www.labourco-op.com.au/sv21/DSC00055.JPG

GT4 electronic speedo works with the electric V6 gearbox, fits ok in the old camry dash
Also has electronic boost and fuel pressure gauges and a LED bargraph of each above the steering wheel
http://www.labourco-op.com.au/sv21/dash5psi.jpg

Really hard to make boost and hold camera straight at the same time
http://www.labourco-op.com.au/sv21/fullboost.jpg

Big Thanks to Nova Auto Innovations in Newcastle for getting all this to fit under the bonnet.
  Send a private message to this user    

Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Sun, 26 September 2004 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lovely motor, how waz it to fit??
Not too keen on the exterior, a little plain, but i guess
if it's what u want... Confused
How does the motor go in terms of acceleration and stuff the like?
Interesting. Razz

camryGT?
Regular

April 2004
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Sun, 26 September 2004 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the motor is great. it idles at 650 Rpm everytime, pulls from 50 kays in 5 gear and i think i have seen the tacho at a bit over 7200 rpm and it still hadn't found the limiter. It made 140 kw at the fronts at a dyno day, but that was only on 7 psi cause the stupid intercooler water sensor was playing up and there was a big hole in the hose going to the map sensor Crying or Very Sad . I recon with 13 psi it feels like about 180Kw at the wheels. I havn't done any 1/4 mile runs yet but i took a video of about 30 kays to 115 kays using only second gear and starting off boost. the video only goes for 6 seconds.
It also did a r33 skyline and a 235 kw ss ute in a straight line with no effort at all, so it seems fast for a camry
the videos are here if you want a look
http://www.labourco-op.com.au/sv21/

[Updated on: Sun, 26 September 2004 11:34]

dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Sun, 26 September 2004 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JETSPEEDCAMRY wrote on Sun, 26 September 2004 20:53

Lovely motor, how waz it to fit??
Not too keen on the exterior, a little plain, but i guess
if it's what u want... Confused

it's called a sleeper Razz and they kick ass

Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Sun, 26 September 2004 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats MAD!!!
Dimmy...dude, i know it's a sleeper, and i know they kick ass, coz my other car is a sleeper. They are fun as, coz u can do what u want and cops don't seem to pick on you at all. I meant that it's a really 'standard' like dirt and discoloration and all!!! I would clean it up a little, make it look original, gleaming, but not modified. Awesome job!

Gives me some ideas for mine.

Very Happy

camryGT?
Regular

April 2004
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Sun, 26 September 2004 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a few hassles fitting the motor
The sway bar bracket gets in the way of the oil filter. bit of help from a welder and a grinder and there is enough room to get a remote oil kit on it and put the filter somewhere else.
The engine mounts in the camry are to soft for that much torque and the inlet manifold will put a dint in the clutch master cylinder the first time you boot it. Weld heaps of metal into the front one. The rear mount for the 4 cyl box doesn'st fit on the V6 box but the GT4 one does. you will need to drill new holes in the cross member thou. the Drive shafts need to be custom made on both sides with V6 inners and 4 cyl outers and they are shorter than the v6 shalfs from the widebody. About $1000 there. the bracket which holds the V6 intermediate shaft to the back of the block needs to come from an MR2 turbo, the 4 cly one is way too small for those shafts and the V6 one is totally the wrong shape. Costs about $120 from toyota and 6 weeks shipping from Japan.
the side gearbox mount needs to come from the GT4 the 4 cyl camry one won't fit. The exhaust needs to be custom made or at least welded somewhere. also 3 inch pipes don't fit under that camry without reshaping the rear crossmember with a hammer
heaps of wiring needs to be done as well to get the ecu going from the halfcut. and the V6 box has an electric speedo sender and the sv21 has a mechanical speedo so a bit of a pain there as well.
the bracket for the selector cables needs to be modified or you can't get 1st very well or reverse at all
other than that it will drop straight in
camryGT?
Regular

April 2004
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Sun, 26 September 2004 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeah sorry it needs a wash
it looks really good after a wax it has been garaged it's whole life so the paint is in really good condition. the photos didn't look that great at night

Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Mon, 27 September 2004 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, i gotta tell you, I LOVE YOUR CAR, those videos are awesome!!! Anychance of some day time ones, a bit longer too?? Very Happy

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Mon, 27 September 2004 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude that is the hottest coolest (hrm..) Wink sleeper dude

AWESOME! absolutely awesome.. love it

Quote:

and the V6 box has an electric speedo sender and the sv21 has a mechanical speedo so a bit of a pain there as well.

btw dude I have just been through all these issues myself.. let me know if you have any questions. I ended up using a hybrid speedo plug for my box and adapting the electrical stuff to turn the mech cable. Works very well.
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Mon, 27 September 2004 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THAT is farking mad!! Awesome! I always wanted to do this! DL Videos now!
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Mon, 27 September 2004 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nicely done. Smile I'll check out the vid's later on...

The problems you had with fitting yours into the Camry I never experienced in fitting into the RAV4, basically because they use almost the same gear. Driveshafts needed to be changed over, gearbox got swapped with no issues, engine dropped in with no issues... all because it was transferred from one AWD car to another AWD.

Remind me to give you a run sometime, when I get my ECU issues sorted out... Razz Excellent sleeper.

Cheers.
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Mon, 27 September 2004 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude thats the phattest sleeper i've ever seen! Shocked Cool I thought my st162 with a gen2 3sgte was a sleeper, until i saw your car. good work!
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Mon, 27 September 2004 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That has to be the CRAZIEST sleeper I have ever seen! Absolutely insane, I'll bet you get all kinds of looks from people around the place.
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Mon, 27 September 2004 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
That video is SWEET
I'll be watchin that video many times over..
I still watch the one of Jason Purcells ae92 sedan 4agze every week, and this being the same series motor as mine... i could just dream of driving this thing...

What sort of 0-100 would u be gettin in this thing? and yeah sorry i hope it hasn't been mentioned but how much boost are u running??

I love the exterior... nice and stock looking.... Well done once again, Real drool material!!!
camryGT?
Regular

April 2004
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Mon, 27 September 2004 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'll try to get some daytime videos, should be able to get some idea of 0-100 times then and i need to get someone else to hold the camera, its really hard to change gears like that. but it's getting harder to get people to go in the car now to.
It's running stock boost for now, the digital gauge on the left shows boost in some of the videos it stays around 12 psi sometimes peaks about 13.
The turbo is stock as well it makes 12 psi a bit under 3000rpm great for overtaking in 5th gear on the highway.
hey RAV-GT4 are you still running the stock ecu?, mine seems happy enough now, i have heaps of info and diagrams for it if you are having troubles, definetly need to give you a run one day.
The factory BOV is increadibly loud if you pull it out of the airbox, get some really funny looks with that especially from old people. I still need to get some sort of cold air intake as well, the intake to the airbox comes straight off the radiator at the moment Surprised , maybe on the weekend.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Sun, 03 October 2004 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FUCK YEAH THAT THINK IS FUCKING SWEET!!!!!!!!

GO THE CAMRY'S!!!!!!!!

they do have a fair bit of potental them little Camrys
westlife
Regular

September 2003
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Mon, 04 October 2004 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man thats the best sleeper in the world !

How much you spend all up if you dont mind me asking ?

Also we need some audio clips hehe would love to hear what it this beats sounds like.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Mon, 04 October 2004 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice effort.

Are you using the rear engine (gearbox) mount?
As I'm thinking bout the V6 engine & box for my car, I've noticed the shape of the back of the box in different to my 4 cylinder version.
camryGT?
Regular

April 2004
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Tue, 05 October 2004 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'll have another go with the camera one day.
it cost about $7000 doing the wiring,intercooler,fuel pump, brakes and a few other bits myself. probably cost a bit more than that if you include all the tools i had to buy.
The rear mount on the gearbox is different to the 4 cyl. It sits about 1 inch closer to the passenger side. You can drill new holes in the crossmember plus cut a little out and move the 4 cyl mount over or the GT4 mount will fit it has extra bolts and needs some drilling as well. I had the stock 4 cyl one for a while but the plenum hits on the clutch cylinder the GT4 mounts are in there now instead they are much stiffer than the 4 cyl camry ones.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Tue, 05 October 2004 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So the only difference with the rear gearbox mount is that it is slightly off to one side?
There are holes on the box to accept that mount? Because the V6 camry's don't use that position at all.
They have a separate subframe which supports the engine through the driveshaft mounting bracket in the middle of the block.
I don't want to use that mount if I can avoid it.

When you have a chance, can you get a pic of the inner CV joints.
I have some ST205 shafts at home, & want to see if I can combine them with the V6 box inners.
camryGT?
Regular

April 2004
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Tue, 05 October 2004 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'll crawl under there with a camera and have a look. i know the splines in the box are much bigger on the V6 than the GT4 front shafts, but some combination of the 2 might be possible. i'll get the bracket in the photo to. I know it definetely bolts to the gearbox, it must be the 4 cylinder bracket, i don't remember any real hassel there except it being about 1 inch to the left
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Tue, 05 October 2004 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, the splines are bigger, they're the same inners as an MR2 turbo.
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Tue, 05 October 2004 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
f'ken sweet! Surprised
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Tue, 05 October 2004 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
who would ever think that they'd lose to a camry? lol nice job.
camryGT?
Regular

April 2004
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Sun, 28 November 2004 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I took the camry down to Eastern creek to the drags. best time was a 13.8 at 105MPH. It can do much better as that was with the towbar on, spare tire, tool box in the boot and a pair of $90 195's on the front. had heaps of fun racing a mates r33 skyline which ran 14.4's, i don't think he is too happy now. Evil or Very Mad
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Mon, 29 November 2004 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very nicely done. I'm hoping mine will be able to do the same when I take it for a burst soon, but not before it gets a decent tuning.

Your 205 engine and ECU - are they Aussie-spec or Jap-spec? I have the same setup in my RAV4. Very Happy
camryGT?
Regular

April 2004
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Mon, 29 November 2004 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Should be at least that fast with 4wd, camrys have a few traction issues.
Planing to go again one day should organise something and give you a run, i would like a few more pounds of boost before then.
Its all Jap, came in as a halfcut.
a few photos of the night are here, i would have liked one of the burnout but i don't think anyone took any.
http://www.stazed.com/rollagti/wsid241104resize021 .JPG
http://www.stazed.com/rollagti/wsid241104resize020 .JPG
http://www.stazed.com/rollagti/wsid241104resize030 .JPG

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Mon, 29 November 2004 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe, nice pics... how much more stock-looking can you get? None, I don't think. The mastery of sleeperdom. Very Happy

I can just imagine the announcer at WSID that night, the back of his mind going "a Camry? WTF??" Laughing

EDIT: Do you know if the ECU was a stock 3S-GTE or a Blitz-chipped unit like mine? Also mine was completely Jap too, got the original build plate for proof. Very Happy Very Happy

[Updated on: Mon, 29 November 2004 06:12]

westlife
Regular

September 2003
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Mon, 29 November 2004 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Congrats !

Read about your time on the Fast Fours Forums.

Hope to see it go quicker in the future.

btw - what ever happened to the other 3s-gte camrys up in newie like (dockatay} chris and craigs blue widebody one ?

Should all rock up and show them what camrys are made of Very Happy
Adam_Rolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

February 2004
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Mon, 29 November 2004 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
camryGT? wrote on Mon, 29 November 2004 09:25

I took the camry down to Eastern creek to the drags. best time was a 13.8 at 105MPH. It can do much better as that was with the towbar on, spare tire, tool box in the boot and a pair of $90 195's on the front. had heaps of fun racing a mates r33 skyline which ran 14.4's, i don't think he is too happy now. Evil or Very Mad

Hey mate, memba me from wsid, i was the dude who had the white toymods shirt on.. and was with a group of 6 or so fileming ur car..

great to see this car up on the net.. i love this sleeper
camryGT?
Regular

April 2004
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Tue, 30 November 2004 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i didn't think it would attract as much attention as it did. As i drove in the compeditors gate the guy told me the spectators entrance was the next one, I told him i was here to race, he looked at the car laughed and said your kidding... in this.
Just before i got on the burnout pad another official came up and asked if i had borrowed my mums car for the night and did she know about it.
Apparently the announcer said i had bought the family camry down for the night, and he was amused that it had a towbar on it.
i didn't get ripped off as much after the first run.

I havn't really looked at the ecu, i think it would be stock nothing written on the outside of it.

dockatay's camry is still around he has a few error codes because he doesn't have the water pump for the intercooler hooked up (has a front mount) and the water level sensor, speed sensor etc, so his ecu is giving him grief. We are going to have a look soon/compare some voltages to my car, somehow all the wires ended up in the right place and it has remained error code free.

Craig had to sell his (still regrets it) but it is still around newie somewhere. he has a 70's cressida with a 1jzgte on the way to help compensate for the loss. So we are going to try to get all of them down to the drags next time, should be fun.

and yes i remember the crowd of people hanging around checking out the camry parked in a carpark full of drag cars...bloody funny.
westlife
Regular

September 2003
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Tue, 30 November 2004 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
camryGT? wrote on Tue, 30 November 2004 11:09

Yeah i didn't think it would attract as much attention as it did. As i drove in the compeditors gate the guy told me the spectators entrance was the next one, I told him i was here to race, he looked at the car laughed and said your kidding... in this.
Just before i got on the burnout pad another official came up and asked if i had borrowed my mums car for the night and did she know about it.
Apparently the announcer said i had bought the family camry down for the night, and he was amused that it had a towbar on it.
i didn't get ripped off as much after the first run.

I havn't really looked at the ecu, i think it would be stock nothing written on the outside of it.

dockatay's camry is still around he has a few error codes because he doesn't have the water pump for the intercooler hooked up (has a front mount) and the water level sensor, speed sensor etc, so his ecu is giving him grief. We are going to have a look soon/compare some voltages to my car, somehow all the wires ended up in the right place and it has remained error code free.

Craig had to sell his (still regrets it) but it is still around newie somewhere. he has a 70's cressida with a 1jzgte on the way to help compensate for the loss. So we are going to try to get all of them down to the drags next time, should be fun.

and yes i remember the crowd of people hanging around checking out the camry parked in a carpark full of drag cars...bloody funny.

This is why I want a car like yours Very Happy

Any plans to run it again any time soon ? would love to see it in action.Also how many runs did you get that night ?
camryGT?
Regular

April 2004
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Tue, 30 November 2004 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i will go again will be a few months probably. i want a bit more boost before then and i am going to ditch all the stuff in the boot into my brothers car this time, spare tyre, tools etc.. I only had about 5 runs it think. the times were really consistent so i didn't worry to much, watched the other cars for about 3 hours instead.
Oh the brakes didn't work when i tried to stop with 5 people in the car leaving the drags. the pedal was against the firewall and still not slowing down much. The front brakes pads had worn in the middle more than the edges from stopping from 170 kays 5 times and they became like springs pushing the pistons back in the calipers so far that the pedal ran out of travel. Scary stuff. I now have 4 bannana shaped brake pads where the backing plate flexed Surprised
westlife
Regular

September 2003
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Tue, 30 November 2004 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The second guy who bought Craigs GEN3 Camry got it $4200 Crying or Very Sad

I have him on my MSN told me hes got a few parts coming from Japan for it.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Wed, 01 December 2004 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked 2 of these cars in Newcastle now?

Cheers

Steve
westlife
Regular

September 2003
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Wed, 01 December 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3 all up Laughing
tufflj
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Mon, 14 February 2005 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hay cuz hows things...

that is mad i see you have a tow ball to tow all the ford around with good on you you have done a great job..

See us griffos know how to make thing to go fast..

www.tufflj.com
toyspeedy
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Fri, 18 March 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1st off, fully sic car mate!!!!
i jst got a sv21 as my 1st car and am plannin to give it a engine swap to a quad cam v6 out of a new camry, and if it will fit a nice T51R,but first i need to get some funds together(its a bit hard to do anythin big to it on $250 a week)or do u no if it possible to fit a 20 valve head of a new 4age onto the 3s-fe?

anyways fukin sic car mate.....and GO THE SLEEPERS!!!!!!!!!!
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Fri, 18 March 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toyspeedy wrote on Fri, 18 March 2005 12:29

do u no if it possible to fit a 20 valve head of a new 4age onto the 3s-fe?

No.
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Sun, 20 March 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks the goods i Have a soft spot for Camry's and grandpa cars in general

I want to do it to a camry wagon!!!

Hope fuly see it some time on a cruise would love to see it in the flesh
tom210
Regular

March 2005
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Sat, 26 March 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDCelica wrote on Sat, 19 March 2005 10:31

toyspeedy wrote on Fri, 18 March 2005 12:29

do u no if it possible to fit a 20 valve head of a new 4age onto the 3s-fe?

No.

NO you dont know or NO it isnt possible? im saying the latter but who knows
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Sun, 27 March 2005 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wouldn't be better too put a 3S-GE head on the 3S-FE. I always thought that the bottom end of the gen1 3S-GE used the same bottom end as a Camry 3S-FE
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Tue, 19 April 2005 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that is fucking sweet has man..i wish i could of seen it at the drags..just seeign all the people going WTF..lol

that the best sleeper i know...soo sweet!

Nezza Cool
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Fri, 22 April 2005 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/bigfella73/Misc/GT4Camry-.jpg

Dude I gotta know something about your car... something I just noticed is the hose coming from the w/a intercooler. I have a BOV there instead, can you tell me what this hose is used for and where it leads to/from?

Cheers.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Fri, 22 April 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On most ST205's that pipe leads to a blow off valve that is mounted at the air box. On the homologation models it is used to feed air into the exhaust manifold for the anti-lag and there is another fitting on the back of the cooler for the blow off valve.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Fri, 22 April 2005 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that Josh - just wondering if my BOV was in the right place.
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Fri, 22 April 2005 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked

(i'd love to say more but that's all i can say)
camryGT?
Regular

April 2004
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Mon, 02 May 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah its the pipe for the BOV in that pic.
I had to put mags on it finally, getting grip with the 195's was just useless, so its not as much of a sleeper as before. It drives much better now though Smile

http://www.labourco-op.com.au/sv21/carside2.jpg
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Mon, 02 May 2005 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a mate who put one of these motors into a ae82 twin cam corrolla. He also used a camry gearbox but i dont know which one. He also had major problems getting traction in most gears and the engine was a reallllllly tight fit only 3mm between the alternator belt and the strut. Makes for an awesome car tho ive seen video of his car and getting 2 200km/h dosent take that long.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Mon, 02 May 2005 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Verrry very nice. Trying to convince Dad this is a good idea for his car Laughing
_ShadowZ
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Fri, 13 May 2005 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey man,
just noticed this thread while searching for gearbox issuses.
I've done the same conversion with a few different mods.
just wondering why you went the V6 gearbox? I've got a modified gt4 box. I was told that the v6 couldn't hold the same power.
are u just running the standard ecu? or do u have a piggy back as well? i put in a microtech LT-8.
have u upgraded the stock brakes??
how early does your boost come on? (rpm)
what boost controller are u using? I'm using an E-Boost.

love to hear more of your exploits.

_ShadowZ
camryGT?
Regular

April 2004
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Sat, 14 May 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey
The gearbox in a V6 camry is a E153 this is identical to the box in a mr2 turbo (except some mr2's have LSD) The E153 was used in the mr2 turbo before the camry so basically that box was built for the 3SGTE. The St205 GT4 box is a E154 and the only difference is the transfer case bolted on the back (I had both sitting next each other on the floor externally they are identical in every way. The splines from the V6 box to the drive shalfs are much bigger than the GT4 box so if anything I presume they are stronger (not designed to have torque going to back wheels). The V6 box is also lighter without the transfer case and I didn't have to pay to get it converted to 2WD.
I also sold the GT4 box for more than double what the camry V6 box cost me so there really wasn't any choice.
I have heard that V6 camrys have better sincros than some older GT4 boxes not sure about this though.
Running standard ST205 GT4 ecu which works perfectly well (no error codes)
Brakes are basically standard with slotted rotors up front and disc conversion on the back. I don't use them much as they don't work for long.
Running standard boost for the 205 about 13psi no boost controller the ecu looks after that. Makes 13Psi by 2500 rpm if you give it a bit of time to spool up fully. Makes about 3 psi at around 1500Rpm
westlife
Regular

September 2003
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Fri, 03 June 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Want to sell me your Camry ? Razz
camryGT?
Regular

April 2004
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Sat, 04 June 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No plan to so far but I guess that depends what your offering. Wink
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Sat, 04 June 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Such a beast, shat all over my 3sgte at the dyno day Crying or Very Sad
Good luck man, nice meeting you.
camryGT?
Regular

April 2004
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Sun, 05 June 2005 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey
Nice meeting you to, I had no idea that there were so many 3SGTE powered cars in Newcastle. Smile
Give us a yell if you ever want to put the V6 box in and I'll show you what brackets to chop etc.
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Mon, 06 June 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
camryGT? wrote on Sun, 05 June 2005 13:07

Hey
Nice meeting you to, I had no idea that there were so many 3SGTE powered cars in Newcastle. Smile
Give us a yell if you ever want to put the V6 box in and I'll show you what brackets to chop etc.

Sounds good, the current setup is doing the job for now but i'll see how it holds up in the future.
DJB79
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Wed, 15 June 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a canary yellow SV21 wagon and was trolling around trying too se if someone had dropped a turbo in it and to my surpise it's been done already. I'm thinking of hotting up mine.

if you don't mingd me asking how long did it take to do and how much did it cost?

Easy to do most of the work yourself?
camryGT?
Regular

April 2004
Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Wed, 15 June 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I paid $3500 for the frontcut, $330 for the V6 gearbox, $250 for the fuel pump $1000 or so for custom drive shafts, about $3-400 for new clutch and pressure plate, about $1000 on exhaust and dump pipe and around $200 or so for the engineers certificate.
Not hard as far as conversions go just need to do the wiring, otherwise the motor bolts straight in. there is a bit of fiddling with the selectors for the V6 box but if you go with the 4 cly box and be gentle with it you should save a fair bit of money also on drive shafts.
Stretch2000
Occasional Poster

August 2004

Re: my SV21camry with St205 GT4 motor Sat, 25 June 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Like Most of the Camry owners in here, I'm Creamin My pants over your conversion. I've gotta say Good Job Buddy. I'm a Huge fan of the 3S-GTE and I'd like to put it in Several Cars... not the least of which my 90 SV21 Wagon.

Have you got a BHP reading on it (Kw would do) But being that the stock engine out of an ST205 GT4 is about 245-255 BHP depending on where the car was released, I'd Imagine that's what you are running or there abouts, or Possibly higher with your 3" Mandrel Exhaust, Should actually be around 265-270 BHP. Tell me If I'm Wrong here... lol.

You've listed the cost for all the Parts that you have used...
How much of the work did you do yourself, and what would it cost for the labour to do the whole job do you figure???

I'll be doing an Engine swap soon, Unfortunatly I just don't have the Funds to do this Mod now I'll Just be going with a Import 3S FE to replace My shot Engine (Which has done over 300K) But I'm looking forward to a day when I CAN do this swap and want to learn all the ins and outs I can so I can do it right the first time like it seems you have.

Again Great Job...... what an inspiration man.....
Can't say enuf!!!!!
Shocked
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Matt's IS200 aka ThunderBird 2
Next Topic:ONE OF A KIND TOYOTA CAMRY GEN 4 UPDATED!!!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:48:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0090188980102539 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.