Toymods » General Car Talk » AW11 owners anonymous

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 05 February 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*sniff* *sniff* I miss my 2 already, started stripping her back today, I am finally getting to do the new paintjob and try and get all the panels as straight as I can. plus a few other little jobs. so I am back in my celica, feels soo big compared to the 2.

This should be the completion of my little project.

One question though do you guys recokn its worth wacking a POD filter onto the afm, putting it in a box in the engine bay and leaving the bottom of the box mesh or open, do they make much differance on the 4A, also much differance being in the engine bay?
  Send a private message to this user    
ChunksNensja
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 05 February 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Standard setup vs. engine bay air filter
http://img98.exs.cx/img98/5563/dsc019545xd.th.jpg
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 05 February 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was on the phone friday to one of our brake parts suppliers finding out the price of a new brake master cyl or to get mine rebuilt as i have not been able to get a kit for it. the dude i was speaking to rekoned the replacement brake master cyl part # they had was the same as that of a lite-ace van Shocked
hrmmm.. so i looked in our PBR book and fair enough they have the same bore size (though the major kit and master cyl part #'s in that book was different Confused ).
i thought whoopie!! anyways i'll get that kit up and see if the cups are the same so i can fix me master cyl thats been stuffed for ages now. (the brake fluid has been coming back past the cups when i am braking).
went into work today and got the kit, came home and pulled the brake master cyl out and apart. YEEHAAAA!!! exactly the same cups.
http://upload.3sgtemr2.com/upload/feralbrakemaster1.jpg
so i put the new cups on the pistons and went about cleaning the master cyl, god damn!!! there's bloody pits on the bottom of the bore all the way along. Mad
even a hone wont fix them as it's through the top layer.

so now i might have to check out the wrecking yards for a few lite-ace's and have a look see at their brake master cyl.

either that or i'm going to JB weld them damn pits and give it a hone. Laughing

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 05 February 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for that dyno pic.
though i still dont think a dyno graph would test the real benifit of useing a filter in the engine bay compared to original location.
truth of the matter is that more air flows through the engine bay when the car is moving than what gets fed to boot.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 05 February 2005 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have found that to be the case aswell feral and so has my mate with his sc as when i first did my conversion i didnt have the engine lid secured and after about 140km/h the lid used to lift up like a porshe booot spoiler just goes to show how much air flow the low pressure area above the engine lid creates.
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 05 February 2005 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Sat, 05 February 2005 23:16

thanks for that dyno pic.
though i still dont think a dyno graph would test the real benifit of useing a filter in the engine bay compared to original location.
truth of the matter is that more air flows through the engine bay when the car is moving than what gets fed to boot.

hey feral do you think that when cars moving you also get alot more air pushed into the side vents and into the boot aswell? i have my airfilter back in to the boot now just not really notice much difference, maybe its just the induction sound is so mean now i keep thinking cars really fast haha
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 06 February 2005 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is a pic of my new manifold Very Happy Its not finished yet, still just tacked together. I dont want to weld it all till i double check it will clear everything in my car but it should be right. Made a jig on my old motor i have sitting here so it holds the turbo in the same position as my old one.

http://upload.3sgtemr2.com/upload/new manifold 4.jpg
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 06 February 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn thats looking good. *looks at own manifold* *CRIES* Sad Sad
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 06 February 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*plans to do a switcheroo when ferals down* Laughing
Nolan
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 06 February 2005 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
holy shit is this the longest thread in the history of the world ??

NOLAN
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 06 February 2005 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actualy the 162 thread is longer
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 06 February 2005 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah man thanks for that dyno graph, I think I might try putting a POD in the engine bay, I mean I can always change it back hey
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 06 February 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the intercoooler in the aw11's hides the pod filter from prying eyes very well especially if its a dark colour.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 06 February 2005 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mk1sc,
the side vent is mainly there for the fan to blow cooler air over/through the engine bay when the car isnt moving (idleing at traffic lights etc). you still get much more air up through the engine bay than the side vent when driving.

looking great fat. Smile

clown, i got my http://www.hkvisioncare.com/testimages/final%20eye%20ball.gif on you!!

[Updated on: Sun, 06 February 2005 12:53]

fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 07 February 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Sun, 06 February 2005 13:18

damn thats looking good. *looks at own manifold* *CRIES* Sad Sad

Ha Ha! Didnt you buy a new manifold?

Thanks feral Smile here's hoping im good for next month Confused
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 08 February 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn thats a big eye!
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 08 February 2005 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi whats up im back from overseas. Just took the aw11 out for a run. DAMN what a great car. My dad fixed an exhaust leak while I was away she sounds better and feels as though she pulls stronger. Probably not.

Im not coping with 30 dgrees celsius. I just came from -20 in canada. Im still jet lagged it sucks

I rang work to ask when i started again and its not for about 12 more days. I asked for 5 weeks off and they have given me like 6.5 weeks. I think ill just keep quiet about that.

Hey toof PM me and tell me when I can drop around and show me your new import. I trust it has arrived by now.
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 09 February 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcome back dude!

Now im out to wash the mr2 Laughing
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 09 February 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old_mr2 wrote on Wed, 09 February 2005 10:57

Hey toof PM me and tell me when I can drop around and show me your new import. I trust it has arrived by now.

It still hasnt arrived yet! We are hoping for it to get here on the truck sometime between tomorrow and tuesday.
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 09 February 2005 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Took the clean 2 out, the chicks loved it and so did the plain clothed unmarked cops................ so i headed home before i got dicked!
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 09 February 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof:

it will be here in the next few days. spoke to the trucking company and they say latest should be tuesday coming... so heres hoping eh. soon as it gets here swing over.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 09 February 2005 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You must be pulling your hair out waiting!

There is a cool white/champagne two tone getting around beresfield. Its a super edition SC. We need to get him in on our newcastle aw11 posse. We could make some cool aw11 vids

Hey what do I have to do in regards to getting some paint matched for my boot lid etc Id like to do this soon its depressing to look at

I am now going to attempt to remove the 105klm hr warning chime I have had enough of that thing damn!!!
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 10 February 2005 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys I am attempting to remove my 105km/h warning chime. Taking the dash apart scares me. I have taken a pic of the instrument cluster with the top cover removed.

Can some one pls tell me the location of the chime?
http://img227.exs.cx/img227/1562/instrumentcluster5ay.jpg
and any tips for its removal. Or does anyone know a link to a page that has a write up?

cheers!

[Updated on: Thu, 10 February 2005 00:39]

Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 10 February 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lucky for me someone allready removed mine haha. I suppose you could try the mr2oc, and search it?
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 10 February 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine was removed aswell thank god. no CHING CHING CHING CHING for me
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 10 February 2005 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've definately seen a thread on it with some good information. Not sure if it was on Toymods or MR2Oc.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 10 February 2005 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have experienced this chime its one annoying piece of equipment. From what i could gather its in the instrument cluster so you could kill 2 birds with one stone and get ur hands on a n/a spedo so you get rid of the chime and get a 240k/h spedo.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 10 February 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but then you wouldnt have the l33t uber SUPERCHARGER GREEN LED!
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 10 February 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your just lucky it wasnt a brown one clown.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 10 February 2005 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Thu, 10 February 2005 19:51

but then you wouldnt have the l33t uber SUPERCHARGER GREEN LED!

Does this LED you speak of make your car go faster?

Cause if it does, i think i want one Laughing
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 11 February 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As if you need a green LED to tell you when your supercharger is on Very Happy
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 11 February 2005 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha, ofcourse not. BUT its super l33t tastic. factory rice! My dyno operator said it gave me 3.5 kws because it helped the electricity flow when boost hit ! Shocked Shocked Shocked
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 11 February 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The chime is on the back of the gauge cluster. you cant see it in that photo. Iis a grey metal box about 2" to a side with a couple of yellow wires coming off of it.

Remove the instrument surround (with the wiper and light controls on it). It is held in with 6 screws.

Unclip all of the electrical connectors from it.

There are a couple of more screws holding in the cluster - remove those.

The metal plate should lift off of the top.

Unclip the 3 (or 4) connectors from the back of the cluster.

Remove the speedo cable (it clips on - press down on the tab on top of it).

Unscrew the chime (1 screw on top of it, 2 screws on the flying leads).

Put it all back toghether.

Enjoy speeding Smile
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 11 February 2005 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Fri, 11 February 2005 18:43

haha, ofcourse not. BUT its super l33t tastic. factory rice! My dyno operator said it gave me 3.5 kws because it helped the electricity flow when boost hit ! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Damn! i need one of those LED's! If you get 3.5kw on your shizer box i should get at least 5kw on mine Very Happy

Then i can bee Ub3r L33t.
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 11 February 2005 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i love that LED.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 11 February 2005 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i prefer the raw power of the 4agte than a lil light that gives a placebo effect on s/c owners that when the led is on they are going fast..... Laughing
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 12 February 2005 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but when combined with 4agte goodness, the light comes on as soon as there is positive manifold pressure. BEST OF BOTH WORLDS muahahha
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 12 February 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At least it gives you something other than my tail lights to look at..... Twisted Evil

MUAHAHAHA! Laughing
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 12 February 2005 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as it drives away ontop of the tow truck? Rolling Eyes
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 12 February 2005 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing now now ladies Cool
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 12 February 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ha Ha Ha!

We'll see when i get it back. Then its on spankman Mad and once again you will taste defeat Laughing

And i know how much you like looking at my corolla tail lights Very Happy
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 12 February 2005 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
once again? once again? ive never tasted it FAT Razz, but im sure i will if i dont get my shit togeather.
Cakey
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 12 February 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey lads, I'm cakey and I'm an avid aw11 fan. I go nuts over the horney beasts. They are the coolest cars in the world.
I have a 4agze. Targa top. Repainted 12 months ago dark blue with gold pearl over top. 17inch rims(Not chrome). Ferals doing the stereo at the moment and it's sounding hot even though it's a mile off being finished. Looking forward to hearing what you all have to say on the forums.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 12 February 2005 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey man,

welcome to the thread Smile

Have you done anything mod wise to your car? Post up some pics if you have em.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 12 February 2005 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cakey wrote on Sat, 12 February 2005 22:47

I go nuts over the horney beasts.

oi dont talk about miss mr2 like that Razz
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 12 February 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well guys thanks for your help the chime has been disabled. I was dircected to this page by the guys at mr2oc.com

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/repairsp05.html

Worked a treat. I didnt remove the chime I just disabled it. Some guy from mr2oc.com offered to buy the chime. Hahaha US spec sucks.

When i put it all back together none of the gaugess worked after starting the car. I freaked!!! Luckily it was just a fuse blown. All is well.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 13 February 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how do u guys remove ur exhaust manifolds?

Im doing the head gasket on my MR2 right now and having trouble getting the leverage to undo the manifold bolts

gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 13 February 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
got the bastard off Smile
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 13 February 2005 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was going to say grow some muscles or have a drink of milo before you have another go at it... Razz

looks like i was late. Laughing
Cakey
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 13 February 2005 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Should have some pics of my car up here by the weekend. Ask feral for some if you want some sooner as I live in the same place. He should have a few. He's doing the stereo so he could post some pics off that as well.

Mods: Full custom exhauste and heads
BPV modified (thanks to feral}
Oversized pulley (Came from Japan with it}

Stereo: Alpine HU
Alpine 2 channel amp
Alpine 4 channel amp
Alpine 6.5 inch splits
Pioneer 12 inch sub Slimline
Stinger 1 farad cap

All the gear just fits but the squeeze is worth it. Very Happy http://upload.3sgtemr2.com/upload/cakeypic1.jpg
Feral just gave me a pic to post. Thanks cahamp

[Updated on: Sun, 13 February 2005 10:27]

fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 13 February 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Those rims are PHAT! Very Happy
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 13 February 2005 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you should see how fat the front sway bar is, was sooooo tempting to swap it with the standard one off the feral when cakey's car was parked in my garage.... Evil or Very Mad
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 14 February 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You should have Twisted Evil

HA HA!

Finders keepers man Laughing
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 14 February 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ohh yeah feral how fat?...

I think the ones on my 2 are pretty big the front is 22mm solid and the rear is 18mm solid.

makes it nice and stiff through corners Very Happy
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 14 February 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
22mm is pretty fat haha, i think mine are something like that, back and front.
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 15 February 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys, I've been thinking about getting an AW11 as a daily driver in a few months / yearish given I want to get my JZA61 to some crazy horsepower. Ofcourse with crazy horse power comes more fuel, which will make it kinda expensive as a daily driver. So, how much would I be expecting to pay for an NA aw11 that's totally stock? Insurance aswell etc.

I had a look on car sales for a general guide, but I only found one AW11 for $9? Which might be out of my budget..
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 15 February 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought mine about a year ago ('89 NA, 130K km, driven by a little old lady) for $8250. Id look at selling it now, with 150K on the clock for about 7, if i could get that.

They are great cars, economical etc but not that practical.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 15 February 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They seem to go in and out of fashion.
Sometimes you'll see a heap in the paper ranging from $6k to 10K then sometimes you'll only find a couple around the 8-9K mark.

I bought mine a little over 3 years ago for about $8K, it was an 89NA with 120,000 on the clock and in really good nick all over. I'm glad to see it hasn't really depreciated at all in that time Smiley =

Edit: I forgot to add, there seems to be a bit of a price difference between the 85-86's and the 87-89's

[Updated on: Tue, 15 February 2005 02:41]

peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 15 February 2005 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there much difference in features? Also, what sort of 4A-GE is in them? I know I should search, but I figured you guys would be a better source of information ^_^
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 15 February 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
davedave wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 13:38

Edit: I forgot to add, there seems to be a bit of a price difference between the 85-86's and the 87-89's

That's because the early cars are all imports.
Pages (84): [ «  <  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ACT Spotted
Next Topic:importing or buying a celica XX
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 13:21:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.022825956344604 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.