Toymods » General Car Talk » AW11 owners anonymous

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 17 March 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i like ur specs fat where can buy one of those air filters?
  Send a private message to this user    
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 17 March 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anything to make you feel better fat...
General_Bupkiss
Regular

August 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 17 March 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woo hoo I finaly got my aw11. I picked it up yesterday, I haven't got any pics yet, but I will post them this weekend.

name: Stuart

89 model
supercharged
white with gunmetal grey bottom
full power options ( no power steering Mad )
15" dark grey wheels (I don't know the brand)
lowered with some stiff suspension upgrades
nardi steering wheel
cd player (soon to be replaced with a better one)

thats about all I can think of at the moment.

P.S. does anyone know where I might be able to get the plastic cover thing that goes around the headlights when they are up, it covers the side and infront of the light. My passanger side one is not there.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 17 March 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice one mate, congrats and welcome to club aw11 Smiley =

Don't worry about not having power steering, I'm pretty sure none came out with it and IMHO you wouldn't want it (they're light up front and you want to be able to feel the road).

Looking forward to seeing the photos.

I think I know the part you are talking about, and your best bet is to find someone wrecking a MR2 (check the for sale section) and failing that, post a 'wanted to buy' add on here.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 17 March 2005 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Thu, 17 March 2005 17:30

i like ur specs fat where can buy one of those air filters?

Custom made man Very Happy

Gave me an extra 100kw atw Cool
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 17 March 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mk1sc wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 15:14

hey feral, so is there any disadvantage with truck mufflers?

well as you called it, 'a truck muffler'..... Razz

not much other than the factory is a direct fit really, find yourself a muffler shop thats not afraid of the mighty 2.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 17 March 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
General_Bupkiss wrote on Thu, 17 March 2005 18:26

woo hoo I finaly got my aw11. I picked it up yesterday, I haven't got any pics yet, but I will post them this weekend.

89 model
supercharged
nardi steering wheel

P.S. does anyone know where I might be able to get the plastic cover thing that goes around the headlights when they are up, it covers the side and infront of the light. My passanger side one is not there.

GO THE MIGHTY TWO TONE!!!!!
superaw11
Regular

September 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 17 March 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
General_Bupkiss wrote on Thu, 17 March 2005 18:26

89 model
supercharged
nardi steering wheel

Congratulations mate and i am looking forward to the pics Smile
It is a fact that no AW11 was ever released with power steering and it is a good thing as it would only detract from the direct feel you can only get from a non assisted rack and pinion steering setup.
I see you also have the two tone paint scheme Smile gotta love it,but please refer to it as white on silver as the silver is not the same colour as gun metal grey.
Regards Superaw11. Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 17 March 2005 12:30]

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 17 March 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there are a couple of types of two tones i saw a g-limited that was more of a goldish grey and white looked quite nice
superaw11
Regular

September 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 17 March 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Thu, 17 March 2005 23:32

there are a couple of types of two tones i saw a g-limited that was more of a goldish grey and white looked quite nice

That would likely be a respray as the only factory two tone colours to my knowledge were white on silver or sherwood toning (green on cream type colours)but i would be happy to be proven wrong.
Regards Superaw11. Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 17 March 2005 13:59]

MrJoo
Regular

May 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 17 March 2005 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here are some of the pics of my bone stock 89sc targa, taken one nice afternoon at melb docklands by a good frined of mine.

I had to reduce the size and quality of these pics as the original were hi res and were huge. Just wondering which one of you folks with the targa tops has the ones with the reflective glass on it, as I heard they were limited editions 89's ( not sure on it though )

http://img117.exs.cx/img117/3194/angle5ov.jpg
http://img117.exs.cx/img117/3033/back2ol.jpg
http://img117.exs.cx/img117/3316/front4ay.jpg
http://img117.exs.cx/img117/7311/moneyshot5ee.jpg
http://img117.exs.cx/img117/2221/side9sw.jpg
[url=http://img117.exs.cx/img117/7664/supercharger4kh.j pg]
http://img117.exs.cx/img117/6074/top0qq.jpg

[Updated on: Thu, 17 March 2005 14:26]

Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 17 March 2005 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuck i wish i had reflective ttops, car looks awesome.
arasta
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 17 March 2005 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MrJoo wrote on Fri, 18 March 2005 01:02

Just wondering which one of you folks with the targa tops has the ones with the reflective glass on it, as I heard they were limited editions 89's ( not sure on it though )

mmmm not sure about that at all. my brother owns an 88 s/c which has the reflectives.

on yours nice one, looks pretty clean Smile

another thing your pics reminded me of - i need to remove my oz delivered green pinstriping off my NA. looks shiteloads bettter without - but thats just me.
Cheers
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 17 March 2005 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man jealous of all u guys cars here, they look so clean

anyway i think all targa would have those mirror tint. as our cars dont have some sort of a cover like the sw20 to shield from light and heat. its quite effective i tried looking right in the sun one day through the top and was fine
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 18 March 2005 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think all did I saw an 87 t-top at fast and furious imports and it just had black/grey tine and a thin carpet kinda stuff below the glass.

MrJoo that looks awsome, those pics make cool wallpapers, they're like so artistic and well palced Nod
General_Bupkiss
Regular

August 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 18 March 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine has the gold reflective tint. haven't had a chance to drive it in the sun as it has been raining since I got it. althought i did get about half an hour of driving in with the targa off, man that is cool.

superaw11: sorry white and silver, it just looks like gunmetal grey....well maybe not quite as dark Razz
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 18 March 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Fri, 18 March 2005 12:38

I don't think all did I saw an 87 t-top at fast and furious imports and it just had black/grey tine and a thin carpet kinda stuff below the glass.

Spanktowns car has that.
superaw11
Regular

September 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 18 March 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MrJoo your car looks awsome,bet your glad you bought it now. Smile
The gold reflective targa tops were supposed to be exclusive to the 89 super edition SC's which had recaro seats and momo steering wheel and the gold t/tops.
All targa tops do seem to have a reflective type coating on them which shows if you look at it in the right lighting conditions.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 18 March 2005 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
superaw11 wrote on Thu, 17 March 2005 23:41

4agte wrote on Thu, 17 March 2005 23:32

That would likely be a respray as the only factory two tone colours to my knowledge were white on silver or sherwood toning (green on cream type colours)but i would be happy to be proven wrong.
Regards Superaw11. Smile

definatley not a respray it was standard as you wouldnt bother putting on the pinstripes not that you can get them anymore anyways.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 18 March 2005 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2 wrote on Fri, 18 March 2005 16:11

wiso wrote on Fri, 18 March 2005 12:38

Spanktowns car has that.

My car has them too. They are continuually falling down on my head after drving for a while. PISSES ME OFF
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 18 March 2005 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
superaw11 wrote on Fri, 18 March 2005 16:27

MrJoo your car looks awsome,bet your glad you bought it now. Smile
The gold reflective targa tops were supposed to be exclusive to the 89 super edition SC's which had recaro seats and momo steering wheel and the gold t/tops.
All targa tops do seem to have a reflective type coating on them which shows if you look at it in the right lighting conditions.

Theres a young bloke from Newcastle who has a white/champagne super edition. Man this thing looks horn!! He is a very lucky young man. You should have seen me checking out his setup.
So many questions I think i scared him. HAHAHAHAHA
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 18 March 2005 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MrJoo wrote on Fri, 18 March 2005 01:02

Here are some of the pics of my bone stock 89sc targa, taken one nice afternoon at melb docklands by a good frined of mine.

I had to reduce the size and quality of these pics as the original were hi res and were huge. Just wondering which one of you folks with the targa tops has the ones with the reflective glass on it, as I heard they were limited editions 89's ( not sure on it though )

http://img117.exs.cx/img117/3194/angle5ov.jpg
http://img117.exs.cx/img117/3033/back2ol.jpg
http://img117.exs.cx/img117/3316/front4ay.jpg
http://img117.exs.cx/img117/7311/moneyshot5ee.jpg
http://img117.exs.cx/img117/2221/side9sw.jpg
http://img117.exs.cx/img117/7664/supercharger4kh.j pg]
http://img117.exs.cx/img117/6074/top0qq.jpg

Great looking SC mate. Im jealous. Have fun!!!!
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 18 March 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My friend just bought a two tone with very dark metallic green (or black) with the lower half a champagne silver. It is a 1985 G-Limited, and has the older style interior with cream roof lining.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the G-Limited and a normal AW11 or were all Jap Specs G-limited?

He picked it up for $4500 with 110,000 kays and long rego.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 19 March 2005 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Who here has 17's on their mr2?

If so, do they rub? I want the low down.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 19 March 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah mate I had 17's on my old NA. It had king springs on it and it rubbed a little bit. Usually when coming downhill and braking over bumps or turning. I had 7 inch rubber 40 series

Here she is on the right.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/472000-472999/472977_15_full.jpg
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 19 March 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey old, i fixed my problem of the roof linning landing on my head. You have to wedge something under the edge of the cog from underneath, you should be able to work it out, they move a bit between the fibre board, so you need to pull it down and put something between the turning thing and the board.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 19 March 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok cheers mate.I will try that what did you use as a wedge?
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 19 March 2005 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OMG i just saw a wingless 85 model on that Jim Belushi movie 'curly sue'. COOL!

btw im not watching it i work at channel 9
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 19 March 2005 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old_mr2 wrote on Sat, 19 March 2005 13:46

Yeah mate I had 17's on my old NA. It had king springs on it and it rubbed a little bit. Usually when coming downhill and braking over bumps or turning. I had 7 inch rubber 40 series

Here she is on the right.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/472000-472999/472977_15_full.jpg

I have kings springs in my car too. Did you find that the back sat a little lower than the front with these springs?

Also, did you need to get the guards rolled? and where abouts did it rub? front or back?
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 19 March 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old_mr2 wrote on Sat, 19 March 2005 14:13

OMG i just saw a wingless 85 model on that Jim Belushi movie 'curly sue'. COOL!

btw im not watching it i work at channel 9

im only hearing excuses Razz we all know your watching it.

on erin's mr we are running 205/45/16 which is exactly the same rolling size as a 215/40/17 so it will be comprable. thats on a 7" rim with +32 offset. that scrubbed at the front a little until i removed a couple of the screws holding in the guard lining. i want to try out some 215/40/16 goodyear make them in the gs-d3's but they are criminally expensive.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 19 March 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you able to adjust the camber on the front of the aw11?
If so, would this help with the rubbing or is that just inevitable?
I have found some nice 17's i want but i dont want to buy them if it will continually rub. I would rather go a 16 if that will be the case. But the only problem there is that they dont make this rim in a 16 Mad
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 19 March 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 17's didnt rub at all, except for very hard cornering to a certain side, if you got the guards rolled, it would be fine.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 19 March 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It rubbed at the front mate. no rubbing at the back. yeah it did sit lower at the back. Same as my new SPAX springs

Im pretty sure the guards werent rolled

you should go 16's mate. with 17's you lose a bit of drivability.

16 inch is a good mix of looks and drivability

spelling?

[Updated on: Sat, 19 March 2005 06:20]

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 19 March 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2 wrote on Sat, 19 March 2005 16:31

I have found some nice 17's i want but i dont want to buy them if it will continually rub. I would rather go a 16 if that will be the case. But the only problem there is that they dont make this rim in a 16 Mad

you can most certainly adjust the camber on the front of the aw11's aswell as the rears. Its just got a spacer in the top strut bolt that when u loosen the bolt can be turned up or down to adjust the camber (down for - and up for +)but even if u adjust the camber i would think that u would still need to roll the guards.

It dosent cost much like $20-$50 per guard.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 19 March 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so you loosen the main strut bolt and this spacer is underneath? where do you see the - and + symbols

Ive also just noticed my rear wheels 'toe in' a bit. How do i straighten them up??

cheers!
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 19 March 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Sat, 19 March 2005 17:18

fatmr2 wrote on Sat, 19 March 2005 16:31

you can most certainly adjust the camber on the front of the aw11's aswell as the rears. Its just got a spacer in the top strut bolt that when u loosen the bolt can be turned up or down to adjust the camber (down for - and up for +)but even if u adjust the camber i would think that u would still need to roll the guards.

It dosent cost much like $20-$50 per guard.

Thats good to know Rolling Eyes

I was going to get the guards rolled either way. As for being drivable......Im pretty sure it wont be that bad.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 20 March 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old_mr2 wrote on Sat, 19 March 2005 17:31

so you loosen the main strut bolt and this spacer is underneath? where do you see the - and + symbols

Ive also just noticed my rear wheels 'toe in' a bit. How do i straighten them up??

cheers!

http://img236.exs.cx/img236/3208/dcp00166su.jpg

there is a little lobe on the spacer basicially if you want more -tive camber u turn the lobe downwards and vice versa for more posotive camber. As you can see mine were set to not have alot of camber this has since changed

The toe can be changed by tightening or loosening the rods that connect from the back of the hub to the chassis you can see them in this picture on the right hand side of the hub there is an adjustment nut half way along the rod which effectivley lengthens or shortens the rod which will push the wheels in or our. However its best to get this alinged properly by someone who knows what they are doing and has a laser alignment machine. It dosent cost much like 50-60 bucks.

[Updated on: Sun, 20 March 2005 01:28]

fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 20 March 2005 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You wouldnt happen to know what the maximum -Neg camber you can run would you?

Front and back
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 20 March 2005 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, and as for buying one of my air filters.....You might want to take a bank loan Laughing
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 20 March 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2 wrote on Sun, 20 March 2005 12:59

Oh, and as for buying one of my air filters.....You might want to take a bank loan Laughing

well i dont have much money so i guess ill have to get spanktown to make me one Very Happy
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 20 March 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2 wrote on Sun, 20 March 2005 12:58

You wouldnt happen to know what the maximum -Neg camber you can run would you?

Front and back

mines not all the way down and i get 2 and a bit deg -ive at the back and about 1.5 at the front when its half way down so id say nearly 3 wouldnt be out of the question
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 20 March 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Sun, 20 March 2005 13:47

fatmr2 wrote on Sun, 20 March 2005 12:59

well i dont have much money so i guess ill have to get spanktown to make me one Very Happy

hhhhmmmmmmmm....... Good luck with that Confused

Your car might go slower than before you started Laughing

GO SPANKTOWN GHETTO POWAH!!!!!!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 20 March 2005 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
17's here with no scrubbage. Very Happy
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 20 March 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clown wrote on Sun, 20 March 2005 18:43

17's here with no scrubbage. Very Happy

I need stats.......

Is yours lowered? if so, by how much?
Have the guards been rolled?
What off set?
Tyre size?

Throw in a pic for good measure Very Happy
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 20 March 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I personally think 17's are too big on an aw11 and make it look silly 16's are more than enuf to clear any brakes your going to be using and fill the guards very nicely also arent 17's illegal for aw11's as they are more than 2inches bigger?

my 2 cents
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 20 March 2005 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Sun, 20 March 2005 22:02

I personally think 17's are too big on an aw11 and make it look silly 16's are more than enuf to clear any brakes your going to be using and fill the guards very nicely also arent 17's illegal for aw11's as they are more than 2inches bigger?

my 2 cents

Tyres for 16's cost a lot.
Plus, they dont make any good rims in 16's
and you can just get the rims engineered, problems solved Smile
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 20 March 2005 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

my 2 cents

rubber for 16's cost a lot.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 20 March 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2 wrote on Sun, 20 March 2005 22:23

my 2 cents

fair enuf

i neva found rubber to costly when i had 16's

fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 20 March 2005 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Sun, 20 March 2005 22:25

fatmr2 wrote on Sun, 20 March 2005 22:23

my 2 cents

fair enuf

i neva found rubber to costly when i had 16's

Form what i have been told its more $$ than 17 inch rubber only cause its not a popular size? I may be wrong.
But yeah, they dont really make any rims i like in a 16. I guess i could always get a 5 spoke buddy club type? but i have a better set in mind Very Happy
I just need to find out how much they are going to set me back?
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 20 March 2005 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
16" rubber is cheap.

ive alwyas run the goodyear gs-d2's in a 205/45/16 they set me back about $150 and in a 215/40/17 about $170.

the 205/45/16 is a common as tyre size take your pick in brands and models pretty much..

there are so many good rims im 16" tkae the wheels on erin's car. Enkei RP-01's they are 16" and not only loko awesome but are light as. OZ wheels as well as buddy clubs can be sourced in 16" without too much grief.

as far as legalities is concerned at least in NSW you can go +1 width and dosent matter about wheel diameter as long as the rolling diameter of the wheel and tyre combo is no more or less then 15mm from the original. plus the track width must not change by more then +/-25mm.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 20 March 2005 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From memory my 16" Eagle F1's were pretty well priced and I had no dramas getting simmons in 16's.

I do agree though that non popular tyre sizes are more expensive, but this tends to be in the cheaper lines.
Similar to the 'hard to get' 16" rims, maybe keep away from Tempe Tyres Wink
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 20 March 2005 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the tyre i want to try out is a good year eagle f1 gd-d3 in a 215/40/16 now that is a wierd size Razz slightly wider but slightly shorter then the 205/45/16 pitty they are like $250 a pop. that also has nothing to do with the odd size similar pricing in the 205/45/16 its just a hell expensive tyre.

ive really taken to the 15" ive got on my car it almost makes the 16" look too big.. they certainly make the enkei's seem too heavy despite being light light wheels... mmm buddy club 15"
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 20 March 2005 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Sun, 20 March 2005 12:23

there is a little lobe on the spacer basicially if you want more -tive camber u turn the lobe downwards and vice versa for more posotive camber.

Wow, I never knew about that, how does it work?
I've undone that a bazillion times in the last 3 months doing my conversion and just thought it was a spacer. I don't understand how a seemingly simetrical spacer can change the camber of your wheel (I obviously haven't looked at it correctly)
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 20 March 2005 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm running the older Eagle F1's which I think were about $160each when I bought them about 9 months ago. The one's you're talking about were a bit too expensive for me at the time I bought them Embarassed
But even the ones I have (D2's I think) are great tyres IMHO!
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 21 March 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah ive been running the gs-d2's for years and loved them. they have jsut been dropped by good year but im sure you should still be able to hunt them down from ppl;s current stock as they were pretty popular.

my import has a set of good year Rev spec RS-02 which pretty much replaces the gs-d2 and they feel fantastic. not sure of the pricing but im pretty sure its still cheaper then the GD-d3
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 21 March 2005 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedave it works roughly by tilting the top of the hub Very Happy . if you have a look at the spacer its hole is offset so when you move it around it, (hmm... don't really know how to explain it) I guess you could say it moves the bolt forward or backward. (I know how it works I just can't think how to explain it right now damn.) youd understand it if you pulled it out and looked at it.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 21 March 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Mon, 21 March 2005 11:33

davedave it works roughly by tilting the top of the hub Very Happy

Haha, ta
wiso wrote on Mon, 21 March 2005 11:33

if you have a look at the spacer its hole is offset so when you move it around it, (hmm... don't really know how to explain it) I guess you could say it moves the bolt forward or backward. (I know how it works I just can't think how to explain it right now damn.) youd understand it if you pulled it out and looked at it.

What I don't get is that even if the hole in the middle is offset, how does that effect the position of the hub.
ok, here's why I don't understand.
The angle of the hub is dependant on the where/how it's bolted to the strut. So to change that angle the mounting holes in the strut would have to be moved, or camber plates installed in the top to change the position of the strut.
Now the spacer isn't attached to either the strut or the hub, it just sits between the assembly. The bolt goes through the hole in the strut, through the spacer, through the hub and through the other hole in the strut. Rotating the spacer then can hence do nothing to the position of the hub as the bolt holes in the hub are snug around the bolt going through the strut assembly.

I don't know if I've explaing myself correctly, but I hope you get my point.

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~wtf/other/spacer.jpg
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 21 March 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fat,

17s wont be a problem at all but wheel offset, tyre size, negative camber and how low/ soft the suspension is will all play a part.

If you run up to 215/40 with an offset of around 36mm it should be sweet.

as others have said you may get rubbing especially if its too low and the spring rate is too soft, wrong offset etc.

Depending on the final off set i would roll the gaurds and remove the screws from the front inner gaurd.

The biggest width and overall diameter tyre i have had is 215 45 16 on the front and 225 45 (these are huuuuge) on the rear was running about 1.5 and 2.5 degrees neg respectivly, wheel offset is 36mm, gaurds are rolled, screws removed (you may also need to cut back the plastic inner guard on the inside for full lock clearance) even with it lowered 50mm it was never a problem and never rubs anywhere.

something else you need to remember is a lot of people cut back the bump stops especially on the front if its low, this will obviously let the wheel and tyre travel up higher and closer to the gaurd.

Hope this helps.

By the way when are you going to take me for a spin because i am also interested in placing an order for one of those special filters and want to sample the merchandise LOL !!!!!
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 21 March 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The hub actually mounts to the "spacer" at the top, it does not touch the bolt. The spacer goes across into the hub itself. When you rotate the "spacer" it moves the forward most part of the "spacer" in relation to the location of the bolt in the strut body, thereby moving the location of the top mount of the hub in relation to the strut. Basically it's a cam lobe on a bolt.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 21 March 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Yep,

And it works beautifully !!

(a bit more travel would be nice for the racers out there)

Why dont all cars with struts have this arrangement ??

K Mac and the like would be out of business LOL
Pages (84): [ «  <  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ACT Spotted
Next Topic:importing or buying a celica XX
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 03:51:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.028090000152588 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.