Toymods » General Car Talk » AW11 owners anonymous

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 22 May 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mighty_boy wrote on Sun, 22 May 2005 21:01

Loved knowing our cars got more attention then:
1) Group of hot rods
2) Wedding cars going hard
3) Continual ricers trying way too hard

well thats obvious.... Rolling Eyes Smile

now wheres my bloody whippie pic!!!!???!!!!???!!!!??
  Send a private message to this user    
mighty_boy
Regular

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 22 May 2005 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha, yeah i just love watching how others TRY and gain attention meanwhile we just stand around and it comes naturally to us, Very Happy
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 22 May 2005 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I had an awesome time today it was so cool watching the heads turn in town when all these AW11 went rolling past.

It was quite interesting the SC to NA ratio. I think it was about 2:1 respectively.

I am now anxiously looking forward to the next meet where there should be even more AW11's (and maybe even some SW11's)
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 22 May 2005 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm sw11 goodness should be some 4agte's there aswell maybee even mine if god/money willing
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 22 May 2005 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like fun, hopefully next meet somewhere closer to home coz im too lazy to drive Very Happy

went pick n payless blacktown today on the way back saw an red aw11 behind. looks imaculate think it had aftermarket bodykit was very neat
gave it a wave didnt seem to get a response, probably wouldnt want to make friend with a shitbox like mine anyways
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 22 May 2005 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn me, phill, marc etc. being so far away!
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 22 May 2005 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Sun, 22 May 2005 09:14

WANTED

a pic of someone doing a whippie on old's lawn....

Very Happy

hope you guy's all have fun, pity i wasnt there to dribble shite with you all.

Feral,

I Whipped it around down the end of Olds street, unfortunately there was not enough room on the lawn Laughing Laughing
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 22 May 2005 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
was very nicely done indeed gun metal wish i had the camcorder out
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 22 May 2005 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doooooods,

What a top day !!! Very Happy

Excellent weather, it did not rain even though i washed my car......first time ever !!!

Nice cruise up the freeway, got some cool footage, thanks to Fats excellent video skills.

Filled up the front of Olds place with a truck load of AW11s, thanks Old for the venue, food and hospitality.

Thanks to Toof for the guidance both in and out of town and to Miss for taking all the pics cant wait to see them posted.

It was great to put a face to the names and have an opportunity to catch up with everyone.

Cant wait to do it again, i reckon we should aim for about 20 next time, now that would be really spectacular !

......and bring on the GTEs !!!!
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 23 May 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn it I am soo pissed I missed this, i was soo eager for it.

Damn auto electrician being so lazy they have had it for over a week, and gotten 2 hrs work. I think I will have to go in there today and motivate them Mad
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 23 May 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Fri, 20 May 2005 21:16

Sounds like you are still having fun, have you got any pics of the car recently you can post along with the new water pump would be keen to have a look.

also since we spoke last i have had the car on the track a couple of times, the Eibach / Koni set up is quite good and very predictable like you said but after going to Oran Park i think a higher rate spring may be better ?? Dave Youl suggested some adjustable white line bars so will try that first before changing the springs. Hope to see you on the track soon Very Happy

It's taking longer than I would have hoped, not really hard, but, the rest of the world keeps distracting me..

I lopped the front off the standard pump yesterday (9" grinder) and welded a plate on to cover the hole. I also worked out what size belt I'll need for the supercharger now. It should work well, lots of belt wrap around the pulleys..

For swaybars - Yes! They seem to love a stiff rear bar..

davedave - Tell me you haven't used braze on a turbo manifold.. Braze metal starts to loose strength before the materiel is anywhere near red hot, on a turbo manifold, you'll wind up with big leaks and a brass sprayed engine bay in no time....
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 23 May 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben: thanks heaps for the info, I was really worried about this but was assured that it would be fine.

Think I might call my dad in on this as he has the week off and is an oxy torch Jedi.

Failing that I'll cut the welds off the flanges and go with a simple design that will be easy to weld. It's not like my attempt was tuned length anyways.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 23 May 2005 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fair enough - I usually ony go to braze as a last resort, once you've started, you can't go over it with anything else.. Hope it works.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 23 May 2005 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ir was a last resort, there's places that even a thin nozzled oxy couldn't get to and we were using the braze to 'flood' those holes.

I think it's time to call in the guru and let him at it though Smiley =

Thanks again for the info, it confirmed exactly what I was worried about and I'm sure things would have gone pear shaped if I had left it.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 23 May 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 08:21

Thanks for those kind words Very Happy Very Happy

I wish you did too Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

By the way would Wednesday night be ok to pick up the tyres ??
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 23 May 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
happy days, My auto elec said he has found the cause of the prob, he is gonna fix it for me, and should have it done either tomorrow or the next, so I can't wait to pick it up Very Happy
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 23 May 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 16:38

happy days, My auto elec said he has found the cause of the prob, he is gonna fix it for me, and should have it done either tomorrow or the next, so I can't wait to pick it up Very Happy

Excellent news Very Happy

So will that be with SC power ?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 23 May 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 13:06

4agte wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 08:21

Thanks for those kind words Very Happy Very Happy

I wish you did too Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

By the way would Wednesday night be ok to pick up the tyres ??

nw i looked like you held it out quite nicly mine tends to want to look at the opposite gutter when i do that guess i dont have enuf power atm to keep it hangin out

what time you thinking of commin over on wednesday night??

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 23 May 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speaking of camcorders, how did the little bit of footage you took of the feral turn out 4agte?

Ben, my turbo down pipe has been brazed since 02. spose it wouldnt get quite as hot as the manifold itself?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 23 May 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah ok was watchin it the other day ill put something together for you feral pitty i wasnt standing on that corner.

i cant remember what you were telling me about installing the bonnet pins and where to drill a hole???
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 23 May 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott, yeah not quite it will have the SC there and working, but I'll leave it till night to connect the clutch, I still haven't figured if I need water sprayer yet, got a temp sensor to install and the boost guage to fit before I hit the boost.
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 23 May 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I actually got up at 7 yesterday morning to put my new EBC green stuff pads (front) and EBC Reg90 'sport' (rear) in order to get them bed in. I can now say that they are the bomb.

I didn't put in any of the backing or squeal plates in either as these detract from pedal feel. I love them now they feel so good. Stop very well and are the best they've been for along while if not ever!
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 23 May 2005 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hrrm yes new disc and pads are definatley on the cards for me too i put some new lucas pads on the rears last weekend you can really feel the difference from standard toyota pads
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 23 May 2005 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 19:31

i cant remember what you were telling me about installing the bonnet pins and where to drill a hole???

where the rubber stoppers are on either side of the eng lid is where i drilled through. just screw the stoppers out and you will see. where they rest on the body is where i drilled for the pins, access through the boot by removeing the panel on the friewall.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 23 May 2005 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok sounds like a pice of cake did you do anything special when drilling through the body or just get the metal drill bits out?
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 23 May 2005 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe look what i found
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;category=55435&item=4550605016&rd=1
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 23 May 2005 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 23:25

ok sounds like a pice of cake did you do anything special when drilling through the body or just get the metal drill bits out?

i own a vacum cleaner..... Razz

old, if i was a ski'er i'd get them. skis and a spare tyre on the back would really give the feral a travelling look. Rolling Eyes Smile
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 23 May 2005 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 19:25

speaking of camcorders, how did the little bit of footage you took of the feral turn out 4agte?

Is there any footage i would be interested in ? Evil or Very Mad
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 23 May 2005 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Ben, my turbo down pipe has been brazed since 02. spose it wouldnt get quite as hot as the manifold itself?

It probably won't get quite as hot, but, the big difference is it won't have the same amount of pressure inside it.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 23 May 2005 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Wilson wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 09:33

It probably won't get quite as hot, but, the big difference is it won't have the same amount of pressure inside it.

I would agree with that
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 23 May 2005 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I went to see the Jedi master last night (should have done this in the first place) and we've cleaned up almost every suspect looking weld (80% of them were suspect as we found out - so many holes become apparent when you weld properly - f*ck MIG is crap in comparison) and 'prettied up' any weld that you would see so they can be ground back to a smooth finish.
Dad was surprised that he could get metal that thick hot enough to weld properly which was a good surprise.

Anyways, got a date with him on Wednesday to finish it off with some keyhole surgery (why didn't I think of that before) on the places that the welder couldn't get to before. It was also a good surprise to see his bottles still working after being dormant for almost 8 years.

Learnt some very valuable techniques too Smiley =

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~mk15/index.php?image= IMGP1782_800.jpg
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice picture..

I took some happy snaps of the water pump I'm modifying to fit the EWP:

The aluminium of the pump was a bastard to weld nicely...
http://img175.echo.cx/img175/2373/wp2ru.th.jpg

The inside, coated with a nice layer of POR15 to make sure my porous welds don't crack.
http://img175.echo.cx/img175/1255/wppor6tw.th.jpg
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks good!

What is POR15? I take it is some compound that bonds to the aluminium and hardens up.
I was wondering before I started fixing the pin hole leaks if there was something similar that bonds to metal and withstands heat, ie to coat the inside of my manifold and stop the leaks.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oops - I meant to say don't leak, rather than crack.

POR15 is a paint designed to bond with the surface of metal and protect it from water (it's designed for rust repairs). It's really tough and seals holes very nicely.

I've done the inside of all my intercooler pipes and manifold with it.

http://www.por15.com/
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WOW, exactly the stuff I was looking for!

Few questions though:
1. did you get it from the web site or can you get it locally?
2. how did you apply it to the inside of your manifold?
3. what did you do to preare the inside of your pipes? (mine has this crap black coating on it that's pretty tuff, is there some sort of acid I could drop it is to eat that sh*t away?)
4. how much of it did you use?
5. is it heat proof and hence like a HPC coating? (not that it matters, just a bonus)

Cheers,
Dave
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My dad bought a bit of that stuff, he is restoring a few old rusty cars. You have to order it off the web I think, thats what he did.

its pretty sparing, goes a fair way.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.ppc.au.com/ - Yes you can get it locally.

It wouldn't survive in a exhuast manifold. I used it in my inlet manifold..
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whoops yeah just checked his recipt, thats where he got it from.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Wilson wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 13:36

http://www.ppc.au.com/ - Yes you can get it locally.

It wouldn't survive in a exhuast manifold. I used it in my inlet manifold..

ahh bugger, I read manifold and my brain didn't even think 'inlet'
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It didn't even stand up to me silver soldering on the outside of the pipes..

You might be able to get some sort of DIY ceramic coating which would do the job.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old_mr2 wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 03:59

hehe look what i found
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;a mp;category=55435&item=4550605016&rd=1

Awesome, if I didn't already have roof racks I would've been bidding on these for sure!
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very cool - I wonder if it can be modified to fit a set of slicks?...
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha, I always wondered about making a towbar and small trailer for this purpose.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is a guy in the states that turned his old sw20 half cut into a trailer looked quite cool behind another sw20
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why would anyone want to pull a trailer in an AW11?
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wanted to make a trailer for my roadtrip, but funds and time canned that idea. i've seen a aw11 half cut used as a trailer. was thinking of that years ago, but thought it would be a prity heavy trailer.
jet ski trailer with custom fibreglass body would be cool. shaped like a aw11 even cooler.. Evil or Very Mad
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2 wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 18:27

Why would anyone want to pull a trailer in an AW11?

For getting your slicks to the racetrack without your car becoming a trailer sailer
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I had to get a spare set of wheels to the track I would probably make a frame to go above the engine lid for at least 3 wheels to sit upright on and another one on some roof racks, should work allright, thats one idea, other wise if your really crafty and got no passengers, 3 on the passenger seat (one lying in the foot well, the other 2 up on the seat) and one in the usual spare spot

[Updated on: Tue, 24 May 2005 10:40]

Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The seat's are not hard to take out. And it saves weight...
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no passenger seat has legality issues but recently i put 2 tyres in the boot and 2 in the passenger seat worked pretty well with a rope to tie the boot down. made it a bit hard to use the left side mirror tho.

personally just get someone to come with you and load their car up or like most people do get some1 to drive a big car and load everyones stuff that they cant take in their car into it.
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys,

I have bought myself another AW11!

This time its an '87 SC targa, two tone white on grey.

If anyone wants to host some pics I will send them through.

Mods:
- A custom overdrive pulley based on a standard pulley with a machined ring pressed on to the outside of it (I will replace it with a NEVO when funds become available).
- A set of genie 4-2-1 extractors, a 2" exhaust and a 4"? Jun BL rice cannon. This exhaust is too loud and I will be adding another resonator to it time and funds permitting.
- The bypass valve has been removed and sealed over. This results in a high, rough idle - annoying but I can live with it for the boost.
- A gay pod filter mounted in the boot (dont try this at home kids).
- Some crappy 14" wheels (if only I could work out how to remove them...)
- The spoiler has been removed and the holes in the boot filled and painted. I will be putting the boot and spoiler from the wreck on it after I have sanded out the scratches and painted them. Does anyone want to grab this boot lid off of me (will be happy to swap it for a standard one with or without the spoiler)?

Anyone got a spare set of Targa tops that they would be willing to part with for a reasonable cost?

I would also like the plastic part that goes inside the passenger top (under the handle - you know the bit I mean Razz)

Sorry to hear of your loss Fat Sad
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gun metal might be interested in the bootlid.

Great colour two tone you have there cant go wrong grey doesnt look dirty to easily and neither does white plus white dosent make your car get hot
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I quite like the two tone - its old school class Smile

I eventually want to paint it black tho :>
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hrrrm dont say those things too loud

i thought about black but keeping it clean is a nightmare so i think the two tone is gonna stay abiet freshly resprayed with a gazillion coats of clear ontop
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my dark metallic green mr2 looks dirty 3 days after washing. Black would be bad news. It would look Phat though.

Oh and Starfire, hot you pics on http://www.imageshack.us its very simple and freeeeeee!!!!!

[Updated on: Tue, 24 May 2005 14:31]

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Starfire, glad to hear your ok and kept with the aw11's. pity i didnt get to meet you while i was down there, but there's always another time. Wink
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benjamin wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 21:53

The seat's are not hard to take out. And it saves weight...

Have you ever smelt hot race tires? I would prefer to not have to share a car with them...
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 24 May 2005 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Once youve had an AW11 there is no going back.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 25 May 2005 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Starfire wrote on Wed, 25 May 2005 09:12

Once youve had an AW11 there is no going back.

unless you buy a lotus thats what im gonna buy once im done with my aw11 after all they are pretty much a lotus anyways
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 25 May 2005 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
davedave wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 14:58

old_mr2 wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 03:59

hehe look what i found
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;a mp;a mp;category=55435&item=4550605016&rd=1

Awesome, if I didn't already have roof racks I would've been bidding on these for sure!

Yep they look cool but how do they mount ?

Also Dave what sort do you have ? have you got any pics ?

Any one i have spoken to about AW11 roof racks talk about bolting THROUGH the roof Sad dont like that idea at all
Pages (84): [ «  <  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ACT Spotted
Next Topic:importing or buying a celica XX
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:34:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.019623041152954 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.