Toymods » General Car Talk » AW11 owners anonymous

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 12 June 2005 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2 wrote on Sun, 12 June 2005 13:21

How nostalgic......It takes me back to the early ninety's when you saw those rims on ever black GTI swift. Go the 15 inch 3 spoke oscars. Laughing

Looks pretty good.

cheers man big improvement over the smashed up stockies huh
  Send a private message to this user    
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 12 June 2005 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Sun, 12 June 2005 12:10

Here are some pics of the new/second hand rims tell us what you think

http://img295.echo.cx/img295/8643/aw11mags0085hy.th.jpg

Its a different look , but not too shabby at all. Id hit it!

dr trim
Regular

March 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 12 June 2005 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Sat, 11 June 2005 23:05

GUN METAL the rears dont like the wet too much i think ill need new tyres asap i have found myself looking out the side windows alot while turning corners Laughing Laughing

yer i'm also in dire need of some rear tyres after having a good look at the road from a side on view. From the guard i have a fair amount of tread, on the inside of the tyre i have none at all.

looks like new tyres AND a wheel alignment. i love spending $$ Sad Laughing
ChunksNensja
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 12 June 2005 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speaking of new car shoes, my dad was driving my car the other day and he seems to think it could do with a bit more traction in the front when its wet so hes offering to ante up in the interest of my safety. Im using the factory teardrop alloys with Bridgestone Potenza RE88s all around. So my question is, what are some tires which can give me a decent performance and stability in the wet but still work well being my daily drivers in terms of price/lifetime? And I know the MK3 wheels will fit but are they any wider or just a waste of time?

I plan to get some Spyder alloys in the distant, more money plentiful, future anyway because powder-coated white or black they look shit hot on an AW11.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 12 June 2005 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChunksNensja wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 00:14

Speaking of new car shoes, my dad was driving my car the other day and he seems to think it could do with a bit more traction in the front when its wet so hes offering to ante up in the interest of my safety. Im using the factory teardrop alloys with Bridgestone Potenza RE88s all around. So my question is, what are some tires which can give me a decent performance and stability in the wet but still work well being my daily drivers in terms of price/lifetime? And I know the MK3 wheels will fit but are they any wider or just a waste of time?

I plan to get some Spyder alloys in the distant, more money plentiful, future anyway because powder-coated white or black they look shit hot on an AW11.

spider alloys look really good on the aw11 and i think they r wider at the back than the front..

For a good medium priced performance tyre that will come in standard profile in my opinion you cant go past the yokohama a539

edit: the re88's are good if you like your tyres to last 60000km but if you wanna stop and turn then its worth spending some $$$ on your tyres you will be supprised how much difference it will make i hated the re 88's altho they make good smoke Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

[Updated on: Sun, 12 June 2005 14:35]

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 12 June 2005 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old_mr2 wrote on Sun, 12 June 2005 23:30

cheers man im quite happy with the result considering the rims only cost me 180 buks for 5 of them
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 12 June 2005 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks like we'll be spending more then thought to get the misses/ex's mr2 rwc. back discs need to be replaced, shockers possibly aswell. her rims go on my car this week to clear my defect Laughing picking up some tail lights tuesday i think to get the white beast into vic reg.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 12 June 2005 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I think they look tops!
I'd hit it, two times!!
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 12 June 2005 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For tyres, I've had the yokohamas before and didnt like them at all. My preference, after having them on my na and on Toof's celica are Goodyear Eagle F1's, however i havent had enough dosh to try out the new GSD3's. I cant tell you about wear, because we tend to get really lowsy life out of them.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 12 June 2005 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no wonder you have no grip.. re88's are taxi tyres Smile

we have had the yokohama a539's before and have been really unhappy with them Sad

our winner so far is the goodyear eagle F1 GSD2 however they have just been discontinued. im led to believe their replacement that has now just dropped in price the GSD3 is of a particularly high quality.. it actually won motor mags annual tyre test a few years back.

i currently have some goodyear Revspec RS-02's on my car and am pretty unhappy with them.. they hold the cornering traction quite well but really suffer when it comes the braking distance.. infact i think the yokohama were potentially a hint better in that regard.
dr trim
Regular

March 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 13 June 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i currently have 195/55/15 bridgestone grid 2's. This is all i've had on the mr2, but they seem more than decent in the dry, in the wet they slip up when i want them to Laughing

but they have discontinued in that profile, so im going the one up for grid 3's. any prior opinions?
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 13 June 2005 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a mate of mine was runnig the g grid 3's and seemed happy with them.. that said riding with im was like driving miss daisy so i dont think they ever got a workout.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 13 June 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 09:16

no wonder you have no grip.. re88's are taxi tyres Smile

we have had the yokohama a539's before and have been really unhappy with them Sad

our winner so far is the goodyear eagle F1 GSD2 however they have just been discontinued. im led to believe their replacement that has now just dropped in price the GSD3 is of a particularly high quality.. it actually won motor mags annual tyre test a few years back.

i currently have some goodyear Revspec RS-02's on my car and am pretty unhappy with them.. they hold the cornering traction quite well but really suffer when it comes the braking distance.. infact i think the yokohama were potentially a hint better in that regard.

thats strange every car ive had them on they have been fantastc they are better than the brifgestone potenza so2's that used to be on dads s2000 alot of people also like the potenza gIII tyres but i hated them on my old car
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 13 June 2005 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedave wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 08:00

I think they look tops!
I'd hit it, two times!!

cheers man im really happy with em was a good buy
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 13 June 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah its wierd the a539 seem to get a really good rap off everyone other then me and erin lol Smile we just didnt like the feel of them on the car.. just wasnt quite right.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 13 June 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guess it depends on susspension and personal choice etc
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 13 June 2005 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 11:04

davedave wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 08:00

I think they look tops!
I'd hit it, two times!!

cheers man im really happy with em was a good buy

im never fan of 3 spokes but yeah looks like you got a good buy. 7" can fit some pretty fat rubbers on them aswell (you'll need when once turbos done)
the colour of your car suits them rims much better somehow i think if the aw11 was a different colour it will looks heaps shit
good stuff Very Happy
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 13 June 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah it is definantly a preference thing. the thing ive found both the a539 and the rs-02 to really fail in is braking distance and resistnce to lock up. the gs-d2's really held up well against locking up where the other two seem to lock up much earlier and really hinder stopping distance. admittadly the poorer a539 ive only used is a 185/60/14 and the rs-02 in a 195/55/15 where the gd-d2 im comparing it to a 205/45/16 or a 215/40/70.. so there is a significant ammount more rubber sitting on the road there as well...
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 13 June 2005 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah seems to work well with the 2 tone paint...

Its got 205's all round atm but i think thats probably as big as you can go at the front as theres only just enuf clearance but at the back i could probably go with 215's no prob

yeah i think i will need all the rubber i can get once the turbo conversions done Laughing Laughing

im going to see an engineer on saturday to talk about putting the i/c in the boot he has a few ideas of his own but seems to think my way could work as well. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 June 2005 01:31]

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 13 June 2005 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 11:29

yeah it is definantly a preference thing. the thing ive found both the a539 and the rs-02 to really fail in is braking distance and resistnce to lock up. the gs-d2's really held up well against locking up where the other two seem to lock up much earlier and really hinder stopping distance. admittadly the poorer a539 ive only used is a 185/60/14 and the rs-02 in a 195/55/15 where the gd-d2 im comparing it to a 205/45/16 or a 215/40/70.. so there is a significant ammount more rubber sitting on the road there as well...

hrrm yes 185's i remeber those days well the difference 195's can make is quite substantial
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 13 June 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dr trim wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 10:37

i currently have 195/55/15 bridgestone grid 2's. This is all i've had on the mr2, but they seem more than decent in the dry, in the wet they slip up when i want them to Laughing

but they have discontinued in that profile, so im going the one up for grid 3's. any prior opinions?

i run grid 2 185/60/14 on the back and very good for price, perfect for street use. on s/c stock boost i can never spin the wheel wet or dry, unless i launch it standing still. with nevo, it starts to lose traction in wet. its same tyre gets me 1.9-2.0s 60ft, and best of all i've done 30k on it and easily over 10k left

i do need better front tyres though, car has very bad traction problem in the front in the wet. might try 185/60/14 potenza G3.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 13 June 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mk1sc wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 11:43

dr trim wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 10:37

i run grid 2 185/60/14 on the back and very good for price, perfect for street use. on s/c stock boost i can never spin the wheel wet or dry, unless i launch it standing still. with nevo, it starts to lose traction in wet. its same tyre gets me 1.9-2.0s 60ft, and best of all i've done 30k on it and easily over 10k left

i do need better front tyres though, car has very bad traction problem in the front in the wet. might try 185/60/14 potenza G3.

go 195's you will neva go back
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 13 June 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heres some pics of the aw's that where at the all toyota day show yesterday. Smile

http://img223.echo.cx/img223/1383/grp14ne.th.jpghttp://img223.echo.cx/img223/1729/2tone14wx.th.jpghttp://img80.echo.cx/img80/4697/adamaw20v0yc.th.jpg
http://img276.echo.cx/img276/8168/darkbluaw0yo.th.jpghttp://img276.echo.cx/img276/4342/bluseats9uw.th.jpg

was a good day with a big turn-out.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 13 June 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool pics john god damn 2 tones are sexy Cool Cool Cool Cool
superaw11
Regular

September 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 13 June 2005 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 23:22

cool pics john god damn 2 tones are sexy Cool Cool Cool Cool

OOHHHH YEEAAAAHHH !!! Wink
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 13 June 2005 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Feral man what ya wreckon you'd charge to make up one of your bonet's for the misses' car? Cool
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 13 June 2005 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well guys,

I've been putting this off but I suppose it's about time I posted some pics of my '89 SC since I rolled it and a pic of my new '87 SC.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~t.kowalik/AW11_SC_89_broken_front.jpg

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~t.kowalik/AW11_SC_89_broken_rear.jpg

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~t.kowalik/AW11_SC_87.jpg
I really hate the wheels on this car...

If anyone has a decent set of targa tops (or the plastic trim parts that go on the inside of them) that they want to part with let me know Very Happy
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 13 June 2005 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good luck with the plastic trim bits i think they are a bit thin on the ground on the upside what a great looking aw11 you simply cant beat the look of a two tone Very Happy Very Happy

i agree the rims are a bit garish...
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you and your two tone loving Mad Laughing

I thought you were gonna respray it all one color anyway 4agte Razz
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I eventually want to paint mine black Smile
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=dr trim wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 00:08]

GUN METAL the rears dont like the wet too much i think ill need new tyres asap i have found myself looking out the side windows alot while turning corners Laughing Laughing

4agte,

I never had these tyres on the supercharged car, only on the NA but having said that i cant remember the last time it was driven in the wet anyway Shocked Shocked

the car does look pretty good with them on, have you had and rubbing ? i never did on mine but i dont know what offset your new wheels are, looks pretty similar tho.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Starfire wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 00:53

Well guys,

I've been putting this off but I suppose it's about time I posted some pics of my '89 SC since I rolled it and a pic of my new '87 SC.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~t.kowalik/AW11_SC_89_broken_front.jpg

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~t.kowalik/AW11_SC_89_broken_rear.jpg

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~t.kowalik/AW11_SC_87.jpg
I really hate the wheels on this car...

If anyone has a decent set of targa tops (or the plastic trim parts that go on the inside of them) that they want to part with let me know Very Happy

How did you roll it ? i have treid very hard with little success....thankfully.

But seriously how did you end up after the crash as the roof is pretty well pushed in.

I have a bit of a prob doing stuff on the track, thinking if i roll this it could hurt a lot, so i am seriously thinking about a roll cage after seeing this picture.

How hard a roll was it and how did it happen ?

Also what are you going to do with the car ?
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I went off a cliff and dropped about 25'...

It survived really well considering.

I am thinking of wrecking out the '89.
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I only missed one day of work, and that was mostly due to being up all night (crashed at about 0100) and having to recover the car the following day. Few cuts and bruises and I was quite stiff for about a week.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well I have the results of the insurance cover, they are going to give me back $4800 for it, damn I even tried to talk them up, but no.

not quite fat enough hmm maybe a bit of work to get another in that case.

so I am tossing up options of getting rid of the whole wreck, parting it up myself and selling bits, or repair it, but I really don't wanna repair it again, I've had enough Mad

fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 15:20

well I have the results of the insurance cover, they are going to give me back $4800 for it, damn I even tried to talk them up, but no.

so I am tossing up options of getting rid of the whole wreck, parting it up myself and selling bits, or repair it, but I really don't wanna repair it again, I've had enough Mad

Let me give you some advice.......

Sell it off in parts, get the money you make and the money from insurance and buy a different car. Then sit back and enjoy the driving experience of a normal car that wont cost you lots of money.

Mr2's, While being a fun sort of car are just a pain in the ass to do anything to. And anyway, you've had to rebuild it before, do you really want to piss fart around doing it all again?

Failing all of that, buy a better car that has a shitload more potential than an aw11 would ever have and do that up Very Happy
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2 wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 16:24

wiso wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 15:20

Sell it off in parts, get the money you make and the money from insurance and buy a different car. Then sit back and enjoy the driving experience of a normal car that wont cost you lots of money.

Mr2's, While being a fun sort of car are just a pain in the ass to do anything to. And anyway, you've had to rebuild it before, do you really want to piss fart around doing it all again?

Failing all of that, buy a better car that has a shitload more potential than an aw11 would ever have and do that up Very Happy

thats not really pushing our point of view fat Laughing Laughing

All cars no matter what they are if you wanna make them fast they are going to cost you money. My thoughts on this wiso is to buy whateva the hell you want but we would all love to see you sitting in an mr2
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 10:09

you and your two tone loving Mad Laughing

I thought you were gonna respray it all one color anyway 4agte Razz

Yeah i know was going to do it for simplicity sakes but i simply cant part from the 2 tone
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 13:01]
dr trim wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 00:08

4agte,

I never had these tyres on the supercharged car, only on the NA but having said that i cant remember the last time it was driven in the wet anyway Shocked Shocked

the car does look pretty good with them on, have you had and rubbing ? i never did on mine but i dont know what offset your new wheels are, looks pretty similar tho.

I think the torque down low in the s/c makes it very hard to get traction in the wet but i was planning on buying new tyres anyways its even a little difficult in the wet sometimes...

I dont get rubbing in the rear at all but sometimes when i reverse out of my driveway at an angle it rubs on the front left at full lock but ever so slightly. More -tive camber may fix it wich i will get arround to doing this week its just such a pain jacking up such a low car with the trolley jack cause you cant get it under the car without jacking up one side with a normal jack.

I need a hoist......
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

buy a better car that has a shitload more potential than an aw11 would ever have and do that up Very Happy

I don't think I've come across such a car, care to share?

Fat, I think you're suffering from '2 envy'.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In reponse to Fat

yeah I really don't think i can drive a normal car, normal cars piss me off more than anthing else, the make me really angry (turning green Mad ) they are just to slow and too boring to drive, I love that edge of you seat that only a sports car can offer, and what better sports car can you get for $7000??? not much an AW11 is about it, my celica is almost a normal car, its sporty but its a pretty boring and drianing to drive. I have been driving a normal car for the past 5 months, and I am fed up with that because the car is just not capable of doing what I want it to do.

an AW11 dones't cost lots of money, yours did cause look at all the work you did, I still only spent a total of $7000 on mine, that was hell fun to drive, handled well, and had enough power for my liking with the SC. You may think more expensive because you didn't do much of the work yourself, I can do all the work myself happily, but thats the same with everycar.

A car with more potential than an AW11 would cost a lot more, I am a UNI student and don't have that much money, and bang for buck, its hard to go past the AW11.

end rant Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 14 June 2005 09:54]

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

mate are you going to cop some abuse from that post.... Wink

as said above any car no matter what it is will cost money and need to be worked on if you intend doing it up.

i actualy was speaking to starfire when he was in the hospital bed as i was heading into Adelaide on my roadtrip. was a shame i never got to catch up with you dude.

wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now I am thingking of new options was sitting at work contemplating this for a while.

if I don't part it up or sell the wreck, I could probably make it into a track car trailer sailer. do a half decent fix on the front end, but this leaves a lot of options open for some really awsome mods and working that really can't be done for on road use. although it would have to take place as a long term project say 5+ years nothing too quick, dunno.

I really have to conteplate what to do next, I have never been in this situation before.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 20:01

now I am thingking of new options was sitting at work contemplating this for a while.

if I don't part it up or sell the wreck, I could probably make it into a track car trailer sailer. do a half decent fix on the front end, but this leaves a lot of options open for some really awsome mods and working that really can't be done for on road use. although it would have to take place as a long term project say 5+ years nothing too quick, dunno.

I really have to conteplate what to do next, I have never been in this situation before.

in my mind its a good situation to be in you have cash in your hand (or soon will) and pleanty of ideas in your head exciting times i think
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedave wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 17:46

buy a better car that has a shitload more potential than an aw11 would ever have and do that up Very Happy

I don't think I've come across such a car, care to share?

Fat, I think you're suffering from '2 envy'.

Laughing 2 ENVY!?

Who's MR2 is it that i should be envying? Rolling Eyes

I had my time with the mr2, it was ok i guess but i wasnt totally impressed. The handling leaves a lot to be desired. Then again, my car was very different to all of yours so i cant comment on anyones but mine.

As for WISO'S comment:
"You may think more expensive because you didn't do much of the work yourself"

I'll try to stay calm while i say this but, you have no idea what you are talking about! I did everything on that car myself except to rebuild the engine and i got that done for sweet FA anyway. The only reason things were expensive is because i dont accept a simple sc conversion to be the makings of an exceptional or impressive car!. I built one of the faster 4agte mr2's around and i did 95% of it all by myself. Im yet to see someone do the same with as little experiance as me. But then again, if you can only afford a $7000 car i would hardly expect to see you spend a lot of money on it.

toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey fat did you get my pm ? do you have that part if so im going to be in northern sydney tomorrow afternoon and would love to pick it up.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2 wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 21:51

Laughing 2 ENVY!?

Anyone's Laughing

I had my time with the mr2, it was ok i guess but i wasnt totally impressed. The handling leaves a lot to be desired. Then again, my car was very different to all of yours so i cant comment on anyones but mine.

I didn't know you actually did much with the handling of your mr2, besides a strut brace. Weren't your struts and shocks standard? and if so, how many kms on them?
If I'm wrong about your cars suspension setup, you must have driven some pretty awesome cars to leave you unimpressed with the aw11.
superaw11
Regular

September 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Fatmr2,if you think the handling of AW11's leaves a lot to be desired may i ask you what type of Supercars you have been driving ?
Regards Superaw11 Wink
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedave wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 22:09

Laughing 2 ENVY!?

Anyone's Laughing

Anyones..... Laughing excuse me if im not entirely impressed by the myriad of 100rwkw sc's surrounding us
Confused

davedave wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 22:09

I didn't know you actually did much with the handling of your mr2, besides a strut brace. Weren't your struts and shocks standard? and if so, how many kms on them?
If I'm wrong about your cars suspension setup, you must have driven some pretty awesome cars to leave you unimpressed with the aw11.

I did the suspension on my mr2. Springs and shocks were aftermarket. They had about 2000k's on them max at the end. I could have got sway bars and all that but just didnt get around to it i guess.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
superaw11 wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 22:21

Hey Fatmr2,if you think the handling of AW11's leaves a lot to be desired may i ask you what type of Supercars you have been driving ?
Regards Superaw11 Wink

I dont really want to quote myself but:

"The handling leaves a lot to be desired. Then again, my car was very different to all of yours so i cant comment on anyones but mine."

Never mention anything about supercars but since you asked, a perfect example would be my brothers cappuccino. It has a balance of 52/48. Combine that with a weight of 700 odd kg's and 115rwkw. There you go....a better package than the aw11. (in my opinion) But then again its not everyones sort of car.

Im not here to tell you your car doesnt handle well, i just dont think mine was that good. Then again, you dont have 200+ rwkw do you..... Rolling Eyes

Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2 wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 22:31

Anyones..... Laughing excuse me if im not entirely impressed by the myriad of 100rwkw sc's surrounding us
Confused

Hhhhmmmmmm....100rwkW. Cant wait to get one! Laughing

dr trim
Regular

March 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had a mini before my aw11.. and u'd have to say a mini handles pretty friggin good compared to most cars. i just went on a cruise with some mini's in the hills.

considering my aw11 is 600kg heavier and i have bald to the wire tyres, and these guys do amateur racing, with mini's about as quick in straight line as me, the mr2 stayed behind them at all times. (even if i was coming out sideways of some tight hairpins and wheel spinning to 5 grand) Laughing
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

As for WISO'S comment:
"You may think more expensive because you didn't do much of the work yourself"

I'll try to stay calm while i say this but, you have no idea what you are talking about! I did everything on that car myself except to rebuild the engine and i got that done for sweet FA anyway. The only reason things were expensive is because i dont accept a simple sc conversion to be the makings of an exceptional or impressive car!. I built one of the faster 4agte mr2's around and i did 95% of it all by myself. Im yet to see someone do the same with as little experiance as me. But then again, if you can only afford a $7000 car i would hardly expect to see you spend a lot of money on it.

sorry man didn't realise you did do most of the work, I know you made the manifolds and stuff but thought that was about it most the work was done by workshops, I do apologise Smile .
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2 wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 22:44

Never mention anything about supercars but since you asked, a perfect example would be my brothers cappuccino. It has a balance of 52/48. Combine that with a weight of 700 odd kg's and 115rwkw. There you go....a better package than the aw11. (in my opinion) But then again its not everyones sort of car.

Im not here to tell you your car doesnt handle well, i just dont think mine was that good. Then again, you dont have 200+ rwkw do you..... Rolling Eyes

Wow, I thought the cappuccino's were only a 3 cyl turbo which put out just shy of 50 kw. Which doesn't make it a better package than any aw11, as it has a worse power:weight ratio than even a NA mr2 Laughing

I don't think I'll ever beat your 200+rwkw, I just want a nice reliable daily driver and I'll be happy with around the 150-170 mark. Although there is another person on this board who is currently shooting for almost 50% more than your figure.
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used to have a mini too. Not that i really took it for drives like that (since it didnt go on a good day) but still, it had pretty tight handling. That said, they are tiny and mine had a steering when the size of one of its tyres Laughing
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I actually can't physically fit in a mini, I am 6'5" and my foot is pretty big, I think it would cover 2 pedals at once Embarassed which could cause a problem Laughing

me and a mate once raced our cars out through some hairpins, old mini vs mr2, was soo damn close, ever straight I'd close a little but we were pretty well even on coners
superaw11
Regular

September 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2 wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 22:44

superaw11 wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 22:21

Regards Superaw11 Wink

I dont really want to quote myself but:

"The handling leaves a lot to be desired. Then again, my car was very different to all of yours so i cant comment on anyones but mine."

Thanks for clarifying the handling comment and i am certainly not attacking you,but simply interested in why you say this.
That is certainly some super Suzuki Cappucino as stock specs suggest 700+kgs and 47kw power 3 cylinder turbo engine and this would not compare quite so favourly too a stock AW11 let alone a stock SC.
I must also say that not everybody wants 200+ rwkw or even close to that in a sports car but you are entitled to crave and chase this but you need to stop putting down those who do not have or want this sort of power.
Don't get me wrong as i loved reading about what you had done and respect what a lot of you power chasing dudes have done but some of us are content with the cars power as is. Shocked
Some of us understand that massive power comes hand in hand with some less desirable traits like lack of reliability for instance and are happy to have a great handling car without wanting to challenge the Supercars of this world in the horsepower stakes.

Cheers and best of luck in whatever you move on to.

[Updated on: Tue, 14 June 2005 16:07]

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedave wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 23:08

I don't think I'll ever beat your 200+rwkw, I just want a nice reliable daily driver and I'll be happy with around the 150-170 mark. Although there is another person on this board who is currently shooting for almost 50% more than your figure.

Im never going to hear the end of it until i reach 350rwkw and i wouldn't have it any other way. Fats taunts are enuf to motivate me Laughing Laughing Laughing

its good to see that your all behind me

Very Happy Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 14 June 2005 14:16]

Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually feral I was at home Smile I rolled the car early that morning and spent about 3 hours in hospital. After maybe 4 hours sleep I had to go and recover the car and fill out a police report.

I think that Fat's problem is that hes jaded. I cant half say that I blame him either. Think how you would feel if you lost your pride and joy MR2 (a few of the guys would know the feeling including myself). Now think how you would feel if you had invested as much time, effor and money as Fat had.

I still don't think that its fair of him to put shit on the AW11 as a platform nor on those of us that have stock(ish) NA and SC cars. Mine makes a little more power than standard but still less than half what his did. I want more power but am pretty impressed with it as it is.

As for handling the AW11 is a pretty damn fine car - certainly better than many modern cars and almost all of the ones from it's era. There were some tradeoffs in design, most notably the rear control arms are a little shorter than optimum due to the transaxle being where it is.

Most later AW11s also don't have a rear strut brace. This is intended to promote 'safe' understeer as opposed to snap oversteer.

Having never seen Fat's car, let alone driven it I cant draw any conclusions about his comments on handling, however most people are busy singing the praise of they way the AW11 drives. It is possible to really fuck up the handling of an AW11 with a bad wheel alignment or poor selection of wheels/tyres - probably more so than most cars. This is due in part to the sheer amount of adjustment that is available as well as the natural instability of the car due to its rearward weight bias.

Fat: I have a lot of respect for you and your car. It was a fine example of what can be done with an AW11 when someone is willing to invest the time and money in making it something special. I was genuinely shocked to see it end as it did. Please don't let your anger at what happened spoil it for you.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 14 June 2005 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Cmon everyone take a deeep breath. Lets all be friendly and respect everyones comments...

Heres mine!!!

Go the AW11! with the correct setup, the most awesome handling car under 40-50 grand. Not the quickest but great fun from A to B with a little bit of C... for Cideways!!!

Cheers!

PS 205's go on the rear tomorrow! and my two's r us bush kit goes in on Monday!

and as toof would say:

W00t Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 14 June 2005 14:58]

Pages (84): [ «  <  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ACT Spotted
Next Topic:importing or buying a celica XX
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 21:41:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.031110048294067 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.