Toymods » General Car Talk » AW11 owners anonymous

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 21 July 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha wiso that is so cool, i'd love to cruise around wakefield with the top off

geez my car looks like its belong to a wreckyard. when i first bought it body was straight and paint was pretty average. now my paints are peeling off (bodgy previous paintjob) all over and i have so many major dents (all hit and run). thats what u get for living in sydney suburbs with no parking
  Send a private message to this user    
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 21 July 2005 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heres a pic of one of the Big-end bearings out of the G/Fs SC AW11 Smile

G/F Driving yesterday and car had troubles idling so she pulled over and then it had a very very horrible Knock and horrible oil leak.

Turned out that the CAM seals went and it must have got low on oil pressure and done the big-end bearings Sad

http://www.synthetic-engine-oils.com/toymods/4agze_bearing1.jpg
Hodgo
Regular

August 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 21 July 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can we get a pic of the G/Fs big end?
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 21 July 2005 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hodgo wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 23:32

Big-End or Little-End Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

http://www.synthetic-engine-oils.com/toymods/CIMG1306.jpg

Hodgo
Regular

August 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 21 July 2005 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and she drive an aw11 sc, im in luv
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 21 July 2005 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey 1200det, is your G/F's aw11 a local canberra car? I don't really know of any other SC AW11's beside mine, Bens and Davids, The only other AW11 I have really seen around is a white one that has all the trim bits painted white with the car, and a little wing on the back. But I don't think thats SC
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 21 July 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hodgo wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 23:39

and she drive an aw11 sc, im in luv

Hahahah the AW11 is the new edition over the MZ20 Soarer Smile

Her comments are the MR2 drives like a Excel compared to the Soarer lol

1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 21 July 2005 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the Girfriends AW11 is a canberra car but its only been registered for about 2 weeks but she has owned it since about christmas.

Its a Genuine SC but wait for it its an AUTOMATIC but hey its so fun in Auto.

I wonder who owns my White SC i used to own about 7 years ago ??

wiso wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 23:46

hey 1200det, is your G/F's aw11 a local canberra car? I don't really know of any other SC AW11's beside mine, Bens and Davids, The only other AW11 I have really seen around is a white one that has all the trim bits painted white with the car, and a little wing on the back. But I don't think thats SC

1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 21 July 2005 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is it Smile

http://www.synthetic-engine-oils.com/toymods/100_0909.jpg
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 21 July 2005 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude i think I know that car, if it the same one the guy lives in Page, its the only 2 tone in canberra, I saw it once when I used to run deliveries, and then saw it out at summernats in braddon earlier this year, its got some dark simmons mags now though Wink .
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 21 July 2005 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The one above the Two-Tone is the Girlfriends one and we are first owners.

Here is a old pic on a website of my old car and i know its still in canberra somewhere.

http://www.mr2supercharger.com/DamienCaldwellsc_files/DamienCaldwellsc2.jpg

wiso wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 23:57

dude i think I know that car, if it the same one the guy lives in Page, its the only 2 tone in canberra, I saw it once when I used to run deliveries, and then saw it out at summernats in braddon earlier this year, its got some dark simmons mags now though Wink .

wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 21 July 2005 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oops my bad, that makes 2 2tones in canberra now Smile

that your old one? well that one I do know... went to uni with the guy last year, hes finished now, I used to admire it in the UNI carpark everyday Nod till I met the guy,

Is that a car bra on the front of it?
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 21 July 2005 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah thats the car bra you can see on the front of it.

Since i sold it many years ago now i think its had many owners

It was also featured in HPI magazine etc as it was close to being the first one imported under the SEVS scheme many of years ago.

wiso wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 00:04

oops my bad, that makes 2 2tones in canberra now Smile

that your old one? well that one I do know... went to uni with the guy last year, hes finished now, I used to admire it in the UNI carpark everyday Nod till I met the guy,

Is that a car bra on the front of it?

wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 21 July 2005 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where did you pickup a car bra for it? or was it a custom made jobbie? I wouldn't mind something like that, try and keep the front as nice as possible.
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 21 July 2005 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I really like the look of the car-bra on the MR2.

Car-Bra Australia used to make them but im sure they would still have a template and still make them

http://www.carbra.com.au/
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 21 July 2005 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers I'll look into that.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 21 July 2005 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1200det wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 20:49

Heres a pic of one of the Big-end bearings out of the G/Fs SC AW11 Smile

G/F Driving yesterday and car had troubles idling so she pulled over and then it had a very very horrible Knock and horrible oil leak.

Turned out that the CAM seals went and it must have got low on oil pressure and done the big-end bearings Sad

http://www.synthetic-engine-oils.com/toymods/4agze_bearing1.jpg

sorry to hear that its not all bad now you can go all out on the motor good time to upgrade Very Happy

big turbo 3000 rpm stall converter and nos Evil or Very Mad
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 21 July 2005 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wiso- I have a car bra for minethat the original owners had, but it doesnt go on too often (cars not clean often enough Embarassed)

Well, the Toof mobile has its new gear box in. I dont know how it goes as they only finished it at 4 am this morning. ANyway, it will get a work out this weekend Very Happy
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 21 July 2005 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup the toof mobile is going. after a marathon effort swapping boxes. unfortunantly it looks like my clutch is almost shagged so we will have to do it all over again soon. Embarassed
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 21 July 2005 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 09:35

yup the toof mobile is going. after a marathon effort swapping boxes. unfortunantly it looks like my clutch is almost shagged so we will have to do it all over again soon. Embarassed

yeah ive done this b4 its not the easiest thing to do without a hoist and i took advantage of the geabox being out and put in a 200rwkw clutch unfortunatley i have to change the gearbox again cause my 2nd hand new one has shagged syncros on 2nd + 3rd but its all good i got a lsd box at a good price. This time im going to get my mechanic to do it tho
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 22 July 2005 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The other two Rods didnt even have bearings in them , They are in a million pieces in the sump like sand Surprised

Mind you the sump had fresh silicon and the bearings are some non genuine Jap brand Smile So its been done to sell at auction in japan

[quote title=1200det wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 20:49]Heres a pic of one of the Big-end bearings out of the G/Fs SC AW11 Smile

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 22 July 2005 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does anyone know what colour the st205 gt4 injectors are and if they are 540cc?? I believe they are red but im unsure....
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 22 July 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1200det wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 23:36

Watch out "WHITE PANTS ALERT" Laughing Laughing

You need to put a tape across so we can determine the width Laughing

BTW You abviously have some fascination with 2 tones......

Martin you must be in love ! Laughing
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 22 July 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The St205 injectors are a dark maroon r/red colour and yes they're 540cc. I have a set sitting on the table in my worshop if anyone wants to buy some.

I ended up going for Sard 800's.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 22 July 2005 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joshstix wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 12:44

The St205 injectors are a dark maroon r/red colour and yes they're 540cc. I have a set sitting on the table in my worshop if anyone wants to buy some.

how much you want for them josh the ones im looking at buying are $300 and are supposed to have been sonic cleaned (whatever that is)
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 22 July 2005 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 12:09

Watch out "WHITE PANTS ALERT" Laughing Laughing

You need to put a tape across so we can determine the width Laughing

BTW You abviously have some fascination with 2 tones......

Martin you must be in love ! Laughing

indeed i am love hurts Sad
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 22 July 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 12:50

Joshstix wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 12:44

how much you want for them josh the ones im looking at buying are $300 and are supposed to have been sonic cleaned (whatever that is)

I'd let them go for $250. They haven't been cleaned or anything I pulled them straight out of the rail and put them in a snap lock bag for later.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 22 July 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im going to have a look at this guys ones on saturday if it falls through ill pick them up off you josh..
taz_1zz
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: AW11 MR2 rear CUSCO strutbrace Fri, 22 July 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi all,

just thought i'd post in this forum for likeminded individuals.

i've got a CUSCO strut brace for an AW11 MR2 for sale (for engine compartment)

It's designed to be used on the supercharged version, it has a dog leg in it which is designed to fit over the engine/intake manifold and under the standard GZE intercooler to allow the bonnet to close.

I'm looking for offers over $100.

In excellent condition

Im located in the Campbelltown area.

0437 97 2055
Taz
adamb131
Regular

September 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 22 July 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey all... I'm after a few AW11 bits and pieces from any of you guys/girls with a rear-cut or wrecker.
I broke the plastic trim that runs down the back of the A Pillar and curves around at the top under the perspex visor thingy. For passenger side! Does anyone have a spare?

Also my import came with no sill covers... does anyone have a set of these too that I could beg them to part with.

Also I have 3 15x7 PCD4x100 ET20 offset rims. I buckled one rim and can't seem to get a replacement ET20 anywhere in OZ. So if anyone has or knows of a 15in ET20 rim I would like to try get one of those too.... or if anyone else needs some ET20 rims you can have mine cheap as I've ordered a set of FWD rims anyway that are coming next week. It's just that I like how the low offset rims widen the track and would like to have a set to chuck on for dorifto fun.
Aussie wheel choices suck!

Cheers
adamb131
Regular

September 2003

Where did my speedo break Fri, 22 July 2005 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, I've read before about you guys having trouble with speedos.
I noticed that after my crash... I don't have a working speedo anymore.
Can anyone provide some clues as to where mine's f**ked up.
Gonna have a dig around and try and fix it on the W/E but not real sure which end to start. What do you guys reckon... start looking at gearbox or dash???
Appreciate any advice...

Cheers
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 MR2 rear CUSCO strutbrace Fri, 22 July 2005 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have not seen the Cusco ones but i have a custom one on mine (straight) and would higly reccomend them especially if you have some higher rate springs.

Cusco gear is usually pretty good...sounds like a bargain to me, got in pics ? i might put it in the NA or swat the straight one onto the NA
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 22 July 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=adamb131 wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 15:01]Hey all... I'm after a few AW11 bits and pieces from any of you guys/girls with a rear-cut or wrecker.
I broke the plastic trim that runs down the back of the A Pillar and curves around at the top under the perspex visor thingy. For passenger side! Does anyone have a spare?

Also my import came with no sill covers... does anyone have a set of these too that I could beg them to part with.

Also I have 3 15x7 PCD4x100 ET20 offset rims. I buckled one rim and can't seem to get a replacement ET20 anywhere in OZ. So if anyone has or knows of a 15in ET20 rim I would like to try get one of those too.... or if anyone else needs some ET20 rims you can have mine cheap as I've ordered a set of FWD rims anyway that are coming next week. It's just that I like how the low offset rims widen the track and would like to have a set to chuck on for dorifto fun.
Aussie wheel choices suck!

Adam,

Yep,

totally agree with the crap Oz wheel selection i have been serching for ages for something suitable. I reckon i might take those ET20s how much do you want for them ??

Also as for the speedo i assume this in on the SC not th NA right ?

I have never had any probs with the NA but the SC has been an on going prob. From what i understand the SC gearboxes are the same as the early SW20 turbo boxes and they have a weak link inside the actual gear box. Mine has broken twice in the last 12 months and it is not a cheap fix !!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

You can replace some of the parts without removing the box but it looks like mine be more serious and require the box to be removed. I have some pics somewhere infact i think Feral posted some earlier when i had my first one break.

First check if is the box, cable or the actual speedo, disconnect the flexi from the box and see if by spinning the cable if the speedo moves then its inside the box. Another way is see if the ouput shaft spins when you spin the wheels. If the prob is the actual speedo removing the gauges is not that difficult just fiddly.

BTW i am looking at some old school 15x7 tommorow with a 28mm offset should be an ok compromise, just so long as they are not to knocked around

adamb131
Regular

September 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 22 July 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ET28 is perfect for AW11 IMHO... My dream is a set of 15x7 ET28 Buddy Club P1 Racing in white.
Can you keep an eye out for some ET20's.
You're welcome to mine but don't know what you'd really do with 2 Enkies and 1 BBS.
I'm gonna look on Japan Yahoo auctions for a bit, I should be back in Japan at christmas so I might just buy 2 more enkies over there and bring em back in a suit case. I'll let you know what I decide to do.

Thanks for the info on the speedo. I can't blue slip my SC till it's fixed. Crying or Very Sad

Also what are thoughts about putting the SC LSD box behind a NA 4AG... purely for the LSD really (extra strength not needed Laughing)
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 22 July 2005 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cusco bar would go nice on my yellow thang but no money.

BTW. anyone got spare setup for battery. Trey, cover, and the bars to hold in place.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 22 July 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adamb131 wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 17:27

ET28 is perfect for AW11 IMHO... My dream is a set of 15x7 ET28 Buddy Club P1 Racing in white.
You're welcome to mine but don't know what you'd really do with 2 Enkies and 1 BBS.
I'm gonna look on Japan Yahoo auctions for a bit, I should be back in Japan at christmas so I might just buy 2 more enkies over there and bring em back in a suit case. I'll let you know what I decide to do.

Thanks for the info on the speedo. I can't blue slip my SC till it's fixed. Crying or Very Sad

Also what are thoughts about putting the SC LSD box behind a NA 4AG... purely for the LSD really (extra strength not needed Laughing)

i belive davedave had an n/a lsd box for sale at one stage he still might have it.

I wouldnt put the s/c gearbox onto a n/a car the s/c e series box is twice the weight of the n/a gearbox your far better off looking arround for a c series lsd from an aftermarket source like kaaz or you could allways adapt a 20v lsd box to the mr2 both of which would cost about the same.

Then there is the price of the lsd boxes at $1000-1500 second hand they arent really worth it unless your gonna turbo the thing
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 22 July 2005 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha, or if you find a mint lsd box at the wreckers that the wrecker doenst know is lsd and sells it to you for 300... haha
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 22 July 2005 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miss MR2 wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 08:29

Wiso- I have a car bra for minethat the original owners had, but it doesnt go on too often (cars not clean often enough Embarassed)

interested in selling it at all? I contacted car bra and they want $359 for the bra delivered to your door, not too bad, something I am going to look at later
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 22 July 2005 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 19:22

haha, or if you find a mint lsd box at the wreckers that the wrecker doenst know is lsd and sells it to you for 300... haha

i got one for $100 Very Happy
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 23 July 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adamb131 wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 17:27

Yep i like the Buddy clubs as well but try to get some !!!!

Well i got the wheels, they are pretty much what i was after, circa 1990, but they are very rough....well alot rougher than i was hoping anyway, picked them up with new tyres only paid what the tyres are worth so i think i will send them to the wheel doctors and see what they think. They have a fair bit of gutter rash (how do people do this Evil or Very Mad)and one has a bit of a lump Evil or Very Mad but i think its easily repairable....time will tell. They atre made in italy 15 x 7 with a 28 ET, they are not boat anchors but they are not light race wheels either, 14 kg with tyres so that should be ok.

Sorry martin but these things have a fair bit of dish...i think you may like them.

Adam as for the gear box suggestion to use a SC box on the NA.

In my opinion i dont think i would do it, but it depends on what your intentions are, but some thinds to consider.

1) the box is a fair bit heavier what 20-30 kg i believe ??

2) i dont think the ratios or final drive would suit the NA power and torque curve

3) Unless it was for some special race or rally application where you needed a really strong box and definitely needed a LSD in which case you would have to change the ratios anyway $$$$$$$

4) I just dont think a stock NA needs an LSD i have had mine on the track numerous times and never though i needed an LSD there was plenty of traction

On the plus side having the power and torque of my SC the LSD is great !!! awesome fun i love being able to get it well side ways and flick spin the car on demand Laughing ........cant do that with the NA Crying or Very Sad

anyway they are just my thoughts but i would be keen to see what other reckon

Will post some pics on the car later
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 23 July 2005 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmm dish i like pics???
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 23 July 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well finally got my ass off and start putting them 6" speakers into the door trim. i've had the mdf sitting in my room for months but been to lazy to start. recently bought myself a cheapy jigsaw, small tin of putty, pvc glue abd bits and pieces cost about $100. would love to slap a premade pod on but trim is not flat enough.

spent about an hour while watching dvd i just drew simple templates of the spacers, then another hour to cut the damn mdf. gonna be simple base with spacer glued ontop of each other. no angle or nothing. just glueing it together, tomorrow im gonna start bogging the thing hope it gets into shape abit.

might be a problem not sure but spacers im making with speaker gonna be damn heavy on the trim

anyone else here besides feral have pics of their 6" on door?
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 23 July 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pft doubt it man, in my celcia I had 6" speakers in the doors, I did them by having 3 18mm shapes of MDF glued together, they were damn heavy witht he speaker in them, I mean fucking heavy and I had 3 screw holding the pod onto the trim from behind, I did it this way cause i wanted to avoid cutting a large hole in the trim. They were fine, not too heavy for the trim, the trims are pretty rigid

heres the ones I did for the celica
http://img313.imageshack.us/img313/6464/im0000754ro.th.jpg
3 layers of 18mm MDF all that shape, with a hole where the speaker goes

[Updated on: Sat, 23 July 2005 08:46]

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 23 July 2005 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe.. mine weigh bugger all.
once i get off my lazy ass and finish the fibreglass ones for cakey, those ones will weigh even less. Razz
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 23 July 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah thats what im doing on mine, just a simple base, then 3x 12mm mdf ring stacked. im not gonna even put the factory map pocket back on, i just realized since i bought the car i have never used or even think of using them, very hard to reach for stuff in those pockets when doors close, maybe my hands just too fat

i made f/g spacers for my speakers in my old car and man i hate it, gets so itchy using them stuff. can tell i was very bad with art and craft subjects back in school. my hands got all numb from vibration of the jigsaw
ChunksNensja
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 24 July 2005 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What are you guys running for suspension and where did you get it? Id like to get my car out on the track but i've just got the stock setup in there now and its starting to get a bit old and sloppy. Having a bit more adjustability would be nice too.

Not enough junk in the trunk
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 24 July 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am running 6kg/cm cusco rear springs and trd front springs (unknown rate) with adjustable shocks all round. Is very firm but i really need new bushes which im having sent over from the states as we speak i beleive the urethane bushes will make a big difference.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 24 July 2005 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhh.. love tooling on these cars. Smile
got to pull my mates gze down today chaseing a oil leak, cam cover gaskets and a cam seal. doing a leaking extractor gasket too.
hopefully we have the cam seals (might as well do both while i am there) at work so i can put it all back together tomorow night after work, he wants to drive his car!!

been ages since i got to pull stuff of a gze. Very Happy
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 24 July 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChunksNensja wrote on Sun, 24 July 2005 19:57

What are you guys running for suspension and where did you get it? Id like to get my car out on the track but i've just got the stock setup in there now and its starting to get a bit old and sloppy. Having a bit more adjustability would be nice too.

Not enough junk in the trunk

looks like the boot is packed extremely well to me... Evil or Very Mad
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 24 July 2005 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well all saw from your trip you like to pack a little something extra into the boot feral, and if it doesn't fit there you'll leave it on the back Laughing
superaw11
Regular

September 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 24 July 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1200det wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 00:00

Here is a old pic on a website of my old car and i know its still in canberra somewhere.

I know that car !!!
I purchased the car bra that is attached to that car in the photo.
Damn fine it is too Wink
dr trim
Regular

March 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 24 July 2005 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guys,

my car sits relatively high (stock height im guessing)

and there's an embarrassing 2 1/2-3 inches between the tyre and the guard.

i'd like to remove that and basically make the tyres sit just under the guards (1 finger gap).

does this:

make it handle like crap?
make it handle better?
make it feel alot more bumps?
tyre scrub?
and anything else involved with lowering your car.

also, i used to have a mini, and to lower it u'd just unplug a hydrolastic line (fluid) and let some liquid out, where as now im thinking there's more to it Rolling Eyes

replace the springs for shorter and harder springs (for added handling)

do i need to do the shocks aswell?

any info would be good guys Very Happy
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 24 July 2005 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine has about a 1 finger gap and i do experience some rubbing but i think thats just because of the ofset and the 7" wide rims.. but i think it will be fixable with a bit of -tive camber + a bit of trimming here and ther...

It will make it handle better as it will lower the centre of gravity and if you up the rate of the springs aswell it will help even more however you will fell more if not all of the bumps in the road i have 6kg/cm springs in the rear and it makes for quite a stiff ride but thats how i like it....

If you have the money try to get upgraded shocks aswell i think mine have a shortened stut aswell
dr trim
Regular

March 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 25 July 2005 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much should i be expecting to pay for springs? im looking at getting hardened springs compared to what's factory. also what sort of money should i be paying for shocks, and what's best for what? not into rice, just stuff that actually works and has a purpose Rolling Eyes Wink
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 25 July 2005 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dr trim wrote on Mon, 25 July 2005 23:44

how much should i be expecting to pay for springs? im looking at getting hardened springs compared to what's factory. also what sort of money should i be paying for shocks, and what's best for what? not into rice, just stuff that actually works and has a purpose Rolling Eyes Wink

I think I paid around $1500 (retail) for Koni's and Eibach springs, you can probably find something cheaper if you shop around.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 25 July 2005 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
between 1500-1300 sounds about right try to get adjustable shocks as you can adjust them as they wear to keep them firm
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 26 July 2005 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
at last i have got some pics of the wheels, the car was a bit dirty in the first couple, inspired me to was them after as i could not sleep.

Also put on the rear sway bar last night its a white line adjustable 18mm. Will put on the front 20mm later in the week.

Took it for a bit of a spin, i had it set on the stiffest setting just to see what the max difference is. It turns in heaps quicker and is much more lively, realy works the rear tyres.....oversteer is my friend Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad i think this set up would be lethal in the wet Evil or Very Mad The bigger front bar should balance it out but with them being adjustable i am sure i will be able to dial it in to handle exactly as i want.

http://img317.imageshack.us/img317/5691/closeup9nl.th.jpg

http://img351.imageshack.us/img351/1892/fullside0za.th.jpg

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/1742/bitofdish4lf.th.jpg

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9559/rearside9yd.th.jpg

Regards the suspension yep $ 1500 should cover some decent springs and adjustable Konis and will make a great difference.

6kg/mm rear and 3kg/mm front is a good compromise on the street but a bit soft on the track IMO. I am looking at going for 8 rear and 3.5 front, but its all a compromise...ride handling cost etc.

Also The Nankangs are pretty grippy, bit soft in the sidewalls a bit squirmy (is that a word ?) but good for a cheap tyre....time will tell.

Give me some feedback on the wheels, should i get them repaired or not ?

http://img351.imageshack.us/img351/4579/compare8zq.th.jpg

[Updated on: Tue, 26 July 2005 01:21]

1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 26 July 2005 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I cant believe my old MR2 is still around the place so many years on.

superaw11 wrote on Sun, 24 July 2005 23:12

1200det wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 00:00

I know that car !!!
I purchased the car bra that is attached to that car in the photo.
Damn fine it is too Wink

GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 26 July 2005 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As if you have not seen enough pics of the car here is another one Laughing Laughing Laughing

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/6851/driversfront6mh.th.jpg

Also while we were on the subject of suspension i have been doing some research on getting some coil over set ups made.

The proposal is to use the original struts and have them modified with the adjustable platforms etc. The spring rates can be chosen and ride heights and damping etc will be adjustable.

The main reason i am doing this is for racing and due to the fact i cant get the spring rates i want from the usual suppliers to work in the car because of droop heights, capture length etc

Oh and the fact to get some imported of the Tein / Cusco etc variety was going to cost like over 3 grand and then it would be difficult to get any other hardware or different springs/dampers later down the track.

The ones i am proposing willbe fully servicable here in Sydney

If anyone is interested let me know as we may get a better deal for multiple buy as alot of the cost will be the design side.

From the price side of things it will probably be around 2 to 3K installed depending on types of dampers etc If you allready have good adjustable dampers and prepared to do the install yourself it could be under 2K.

It may seem like a lot of $ but the coil over equipped car i have been in was very impressive, especially if you have any thoughts of venturing on to the track.

also if anyone has got any other ideas or contacts i would bee keen to hear about it.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 26 July 2005 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wheels look great Scott!
The gutter rash doesn't look too bad in the photo (only you'd notice it I think), but your car is in awesome condition and I know (if you think like me) that every time you see them you'd think about it. I'd see how much someone would repair them for and weigh up cost v's aesthetic satisfaction Smile
Pages (84): [ «  <  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  65  66  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ACT Spotted
Next Topic:importing or buying a celica XX
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 20:57:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.021528005599976 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.