Toymods » General Car Talk » AW11 owners anonymous

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 10 November 2004 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
definately the internal one... i got my mechanic to do it. so no doubt he prolly didnt do it properly and hence he isnt my mechanic anymore.
  Send a private message to this user    
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 10 November 2004 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Tue, 09 November 2004 23:17

i'm useing my a/c idle up soleniod as a dual stage. a/c button off 7psi, a/c button on 12psi.. Very Happy

Ingenious Very Happy

Was looking at a profec b today? I might have a think about it.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 10 November 2004 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for that inner dizzy seal you guys mentioned I just bought an oil seal 20mm outside dia X 10mm inside dia 7mm thick from CBC bearings, costed $5.50, they seem to be eveywhere, put it in and it stopped my oil leak completly Very Happy

[Updated on: Wed, 10 November 2004 07:24]

Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 10 November 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone know the best place to buy an apexi power intake? i here they are better than k&n and cheaper.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 10 November 2004 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got mine off ebay for 80AUD. Took 5 days and came from asia.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;a mp;category=43807&item=4501110628&rd=1& ;amp ;ssPageName=WDVW

Here you go, but i only paid 15 dollars postage Good luck!

[Updated on: Wed, 10 November 2004 18:53]

davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 10 November 2004 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's awesome and exactly what I needed. What did you do for a fitting kit though?
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 10 November 2004 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I made one from a PVC pipe attachment from bunnings cost $7.50

You can see it here. Its white.

http://img33.exs.cx/img33/5403/podfilter.jpg

[Updated on: Wed, 10 November 2004 19:26]

davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 10 November 2004 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha, I forgot about your setup.
As much as I love the tennis ball can, I'd love to get a pod through engineers. I'll definately check out the hardware store though for one of those attachments, was that in the regular piping section? can you remember the inner and outer diameter of it? (if not, don't bother measuring it)
I'll be ringing the engineer today to find out about the pod, everything I read on toymods about it seems to have a fair few different opinions.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 10 November 2004 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The diameter of standard PVC pipe is the outlet size.
3.5 - 4 inches? Plenty big enough.

The bottom plate is about 7 inches and has to be trimmed down to fit the bottom. Then screwed on Very Happy
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 11 November 2004 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IM running the same setup, but with a PVC pipe insted of the tennis ball can, with a K&N filter on the end. You should be fine with the Pod as it technicly is in its own box.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 11 November 2004 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dunno about this but wouldn't that be kinda bad, cause my boot get pretty warm inside, but maybe thats just cause I dont have any off the carpeting, I have home made shit Laughing

If I was ever gonna do a nice intake feed for this car would probably use one of those off the side scoops, make an airbox in the engine bay and have that scoop plumbed direct to there, well that was always my idea anyway, maybe oneday Wink
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 11 November 2004 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old_mr2 wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 06:24

I made one from a PVC pipe attachment from bunnings cost $7.50

You can see it here. Its white.

http://img33.exs.cx/img33/5403/podfilter.jpg

WTF?!?!?

bloody creative. Im gonna give it a try on my car (non mr2) just that ill be using DUNLOP can!!

Mine should be better since dunlop makes car tyres and slazenger dont make any car products Cool Cool
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 11 November 2004 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive never liked the idea of the pod in the boot... it gets so warm in there and there is hardly any airflow at all... sure there was before when the old intake system was closed and it was sucking air from the side vent, but with an open system you aint getting much air!
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 11 November 2004 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
by the looks of things he still has the original ducting just under the filter so that would be ok.
I reckon it would be a good place to put it if your car was NA or SC, too far for a turbo. At least the cops cant get you for not having it boxed in Rolling Eyes

mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 11 November 2004 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i used to have my pod in the boot like that aswell. but i think if i was to keep it in there the standard box will be better as it creates better suction thru the intake like a straw. leaving it like that its just getting hot and limited air from boot because of the muffler beneath.

neway setup like that is very bad. was proven when my car was on the dyno. as soon as we opened the boot lid, instant extra 4kw atw. thats y i think best in the engine bay. but i missed that really cool induction sound thru the cabin above 60km/h. everyone used to comment how cool it sounded and they never heard any car like this before
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 11 November 2004 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If thats the case my boot will be like an oven Laughing

I might need to look into cooling my boot down? Ive seen people put another side vent between the original one and the rear lights where the boot is. Perhaps a Back the front bonnet scoop on the boot lid. ha ha ha!
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 11 November 2004 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive seen a stealth scoop mounted under the spoiler... and yeah it wouldnt be very good mounted in the boot as mk1sc said, no suction through the side hole. I moutned mine when SC down infront of the gearbox.
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 11 November 2004 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could do something similar to what the Noble gtr has. A vent (like nascar vents which go down into the boot space. the air can then exit through a rear mesh in between the tail lights (also very F40 like...) That should vent the boot space very well. Just don't ask me what to do when it rains...
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 11 November 2004 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the side air vent really doesnt flow that much air at all, take the scoop off oneday and have a look where the actual hole is that feeds the pipework into the boot.

you would get better air flow putting your filter down infront of the gearbox or 90 degree bend above the drive shaft.
IMO even the battery tray gets more flow past/around it than in the corner of the boot.
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 11 November 2004 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wouldn't it collect way to much crap though??
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 11 November 2004 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HAHA thanks for flaming my air filter setup. But this is my OLD setup. I was only showing the pic to show my home made adapter.

Now im in the engine bay. Yay for me!
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 11 November 2004 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clown wrote on Fri, 12 November 2004 02:07

wouldn't it collect way to much crap though??

i guess thats why they call it a 'filter'.... Rolling Eyes

Very Happy

you get a lot of air flow up through the engine bay, but it isnt a vacum cleaner so it doesnt suck all the shite up off the road.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 11 November 2004 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can someone please explain how to unplug the cable connector from the afm. I cant get mine off!
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 12 November 2004 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All I know is, don't touch the screws!
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 12 November 2004 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old_mr2 wrote on Fri, 12 November 2004 09:05

can someone please explain how to unplug the cable connector from the afm. I cant get mine off!

Get a fine screwdriver and remove the retaining clip holding it on. It's a wire clip about 2mm from the front of the plug and it goes across the top and down both sides.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 12 November 2004 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Watch out with it man, i broke one of mine cause i wasnt carefull. Bastard of a thing Mad

You live and you learn Laughing
fractoid
Regular

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 12 November 2004 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow. I just got home from work - this is the first day I've had the MR2 back on the road (now sporting cheap-dorifto-damage-fix looking black fender, but hey, the headlight now closes) and I have to say driving home was the most fun I've had in a car since... well... the last cruise was fun but this was better. Smile I'd forgotten how great the ol' aw11 truly was.

Incidentally, how hard is it to change an aw11 clutch? Mine is on the slightly dodgy side, it'll be fine for daily driving for a while yet but it occasionally slips during hard takeoffs. Also, where is the clutch reservoir? The friction point is pretty close to the floor, maybe it's low on fluid...

Lastly, any idea where I can get a TSRM? That way I won't have to ask such lame questions... Razz
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 12 November 2004 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The clutch reservoir is in th frunk. Under the black plastic lining. If the clutch is engaging on the floor sounds like your fluid level is down below 1/4 full.

The cylinder could have a leak. look for drips or paint stripping off in frunk. Or it could leak under carpet behind your pedals. This is a common problem. Replace the master cylinder
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 12 November 2004 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had that problem. It leaked in the car and in the frunk. i changed the master cylinder but it still seems to leak up front?
Granted its empty now and the last time it was working was about a year and a half ago but still......I'll have to keep a close eye on it when its back on the road.

Plus, i'll have to get the frunk resprayed when the car gets done to fix the damage the clutch fluid made.
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 12 November 2004 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, i had that problem too. Didnt even realise until we went to change the brake fluid one day. Nothing a little primer didnt fix, but i will keep an eye on it from now.
pjaw11sc
Regular

February 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 13 November 2004 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Fri, 12 November 2004 00:52

you would get better air flow putting your filter down infront of the gearbox or 90 degree bend above the drive shaft.
IMO even the battery tray gets more flow past/around it than in the corner of the boot.

i tried to put mine in the engine bay when i did my filter, but i could get the piping out through the hole that goes into the boot..is there a trick to it?
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 13 November 2004 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pjaw11sc wrote on Sat, 13 November 2004 11:57

but i could get the piping out through the hole that goes into the boot..is there a trick to it?

Please explain your question
pjaw11sc
Regular

February 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 13 November 2004 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woops, that was supposed to be couldnt get the pipe out.

the piping that comes from the engine bay then goes through the hole in the boot to the stock airbox location. i got the airbox out and the first piece of piping, but the piece that goes through the hole i couldnt remove,it just wouldnt budge
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 13 November 2004 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That metal plate is bolted to the wall between the engine bay and boot. 3 bolts if i remember corectly. and they are in the engine bay.
Just undo them and it will come out.

[Updated on: Sat, 13 November 2004 05:33]

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 13 November 2004 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup, what he said. Smile
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 14 November 2004 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral: damn post whore! Cool
fractoid
Regular

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 14 November 2004 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old_mr2 wrote on Sat, 13 November 2004 02:52

The clutch reservoir is in th frunk. Under the black plastic lining. If the clutch is engaging on the floor sounds like your fluid level is down below 1/4 full.

Found it. Sadly the clutch reservoir was full (well, down maybe 1cm, I topped it up) which indicates to me that, while the master cylinder is good (yayz) the clutch discs are probably thinner than spec. :/
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 14 November 2004 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tell me guys I was browsing some mr2 sites and found this on a detailed aftermarket accessory page

What do you guys think of this

http://www.mr2supercharger.com/Rearspoilers_files/spoilerus1.jpg

I love that, starting to have thoughts or pulling that spoiler of mine off and getting one like that.

Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 14 November 2004 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boot lid spoilers look ok... but you either go no spoiler at all, or stock one. The one on your project car is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOO
bad. Junk it now! Shocked
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 14 November 2004 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice example... Shocked

i think that bobtail wing is one of them foam/rubber type spoiler, it looks neat.
i have seen a pic on a aw11 before, so they must be available somewhere.

[Updated on: Sun, 14 November 2004 13:10]

old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 14 November 2004 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go the no-wing look. Its tough. Chicks dig it.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_img_a/472977_12_full.jpg

[Updated on: Sun, 14 November 2004 18:48]

Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 14 November 2004 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I love that little lip spoiler. I haven't seen any around though.

I actually bought a late 1989 supercharged boot lid and spoiler from SSS for $50 because it has the integrated LED third brake light in the spoiler. I haven't got around to painting it and fitting it yet but I like the look of the light.
fractoid
Regular

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 15 November 2004 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, another quick MR2 question since the last one was so easy: For some reason the driving lights and headlight on the left side of the car have stopped working. I think it happened when I ripped off and ground underfoot the foul yellow foglamps that the previous owners had attached with rusty nails (well, rusty bolts anyway).

Anyway, does anyone have, or know where I could get, a wiring diagram? Or failing that, suggestions for why it's not working? I can take it to an autosparky, but I'd rather save my money and fix it myself.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 15 November 2004 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm I dunno, no spoiler at all looks kinda weird on these, just doesn't look right.

Basically I have till I paint it to fix up the spoiler and get something decent on it.

Fractoid do you have a multimeter? I would start checking lines for power, continuity.

Heres a wiring diagrams I have, might be somthing there that can help http://wiser.actewagl.net.au/1988AW11_complete_wir ing_diagrams4.pdf

was there any of the wiring you removed tapped into other lines? they may have cut them and done a dodgy joining job.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 15 November 2004 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is one downfall to the almighty aw11... I was sitting in my car, waiting for the gf to get out of the house and i honked the horn... I had forgotten how girlie it is! i need a mucho horn! Very Happy
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 15 November 2004 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*Miss MR2* I have seen one with a wing that looks like the standard bootlid wing, but with the stands cut off and sitting flat on the boot.
fractoid
Regular

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 15 November 2004 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Mon, 15 November 2004 17:10

http://wiser.actewagl.net.au/1988AW11_complete_wir ing_diagrams4.pdf
You, sir, rule. http://forums.toymods.org.au/images/message_icons/icon14.gif

I borrowed a multimeter from work so I'm going to spend the rest of the night crawling around under mister two in the dark testing continuity and so forth. Of course it'll be worth it when I have two glorious headlights... Smile

As to the spoiler question, I actually prefer the stock spoiler. Aftermarket spoilers always look either silly or lame to me... could just be me though.

Spanktown - your mistake was in beeping. Beeping is what taxi drivers and hairdressers do. It's much more manly to rev the engine to 6400rpm and back! Evil or Very Mad

Completely offtopic - I miss puzzle_man's old avatar. She was cute. Sad
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 15 November 2004 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I used to shut mine off, My headlights would go up and down one after the other. Then freeze in strange positions. Damn it was funny to watch.

It went away after a month Dont know what caused it. Earthing or something. Meh
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 16 November 2004 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At first i wasnt the biggest fan of not having a spoiler but now i reckon it looks fat without it. This is why im choosing not to put one on mine.
This afternoon i put the sc lid on with the bootlid that has no wing and i must admit.....I love it Very Happy
There both blue at the moment but i think it will look just as good when i get it painted.
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 16 November 2004 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes wingless aw11s looks heaps FATT. i took mine off ages ago and love it. but u still have to have the factory side skirt and front bar. without them its looks hmmm, how would i describe it? skinny??? Rolling Eyes Very Happy
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 16 November 2004 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have been thinking about getting that front bar for my car from carmate. It could look good but i think it may need a rear bar to get the look right? Rolling Eyes
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 16 November 2004 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that imitation kit from carmate apparently doesnt fit well at all... so ive been told and its pretty fricken exspensive! I would love to get a new front bar... The metal strip across the bottom of the front bar on mine is rusty as dog balls. And if anyone has a passenger side sideskirt ill take one!
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 16 November 2004 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2, well are you interested in selling your wing, since you have taken it off and would rather leave it like that? Interested Smile
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 16 November 2004 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wiso - My old wing is sitting in a mates backyard in Duffy, you can have it if you want.

Wingless all the way.

http://www.ben.foo.cc/wingless.jpg
redaw11
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 17 November 2004 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1987 Aus AW11 NA
Pretty much stock with 5Zigen Muffler.
15x6.5 Lenso VE / Yoko ES100's for road / Yoko A032R's for track

Member of NSW MR2 club. Started doing track events last year. OPGP 1:34, OPS 0:57, Wakefield 1:21, EC 2:31 (pouring rain)

redaw11
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 17 November 2004 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Forgot to mention the AW11 (and SW20) kicks butt in skid pan slalom events. Went to one a few weeks back and no MR2 was defeated in head to head runs. I took on a PRB Clubman, VR Commodore SS and NA and NB MX5's.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 17 November 2004 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wiso: I didnt actually take the wing off as such. I just put the other boot lid on that doesnt have one. This way i can always swap them over if i want to.

Spanktown: So it doesnt fit good ay? thats a pitty. i reckon it could look good with the front and rear bar with the factory side skirts, no wing and the sc lid.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 17 November 2004 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just looking at bens car.......Is it just me or am i the only one who isnt a fan of the sc tail lights? For some reason i just think the standard ones look way better.

im not having a go at your car either ben just noticed you had those lights. Very Happy
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 17 November 2004 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the SC lights sticks out and looks way more agressive then the normal ones

Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 17 November 2004 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Was cruising around with a mate earlier today. Wound out first to hear a loud BANG. Thiking WTF! i pulled over and thought nothing of it. Turned onto main street and went to give it a bit only to find........... no S/C Shocked . Did a u-turn and one by one the warning lights came on and i knew something was wrong. Pulled over to find belts missing and engine boiling off its nut (Drove it about 2 minutes after belt snapped). Got it towed home. Mates mum got under the car to find that the S/C belt had snapped pulling the other one off with it. So now my babies sitting in my other shed.

Anyone know what belts are needed for the Cusco pulley??

PS. IF this makes no sense im sorry been drinkin my sorrows away. I miss my 2 allready, its like a kid to me Embarassed
Pages (84): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ACT Spotted
Next Topic:importing or buying a celica XX
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 03:31:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.022627115249634 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.